Sierra Trading Post Employee Reviews

Toxic Employer No Management
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 13, 2019
The most Toxic Employer in Wyoming. Complete lack of any Management skills or warehouse operations. No automation or investment in an automated pick system.

Sierra advertises daily to replenish the employees that last 30 days or less. Folks, there is a reason they are unable to keep help. Extremely toxic work environment. You are a number and that is all you are. Start at $11.74 and that is as high as you will get.

Our on-boarding class is 31. As of today there are two (2) of us at Sierra. Listen to me, 2 of 31 employees in less than three months. Atrocious rate of turnover. The average new hire lasts less than 30 days.

First, the multitude of advertising for open interviews. Everyone is hired so don’t worry about felony convictions at Sierra. Sierra now advertises in Greeley Colorado to obtain employees from the meat packing plants they are that desperate for help.

The on-boarding is done by HR folks that know absolutely nothing about the production floor and the requirements for the jobs. Here is your first RED Alert, Sierra spends an hour talking smack about Unions. Why? Because they should have a Union to protect the abuse of employees and increase the wages and benefits.

Secondly, there is no tour of the production floor. Why? Because Sierra does not want you to view the horrific work conditions and talk to current employees.

Your first day of work you are provided no, none training. In fact, during your entire employment with Sierra you will not be provided with training. Sierra invests no time in training because the average employee
  more... last less than 30 days.

The rules change on a daily basis depending on the direction of the wind. A lack of basic fairness is a good way to fuel a mutiny at work. When person A gets scolded for the same behavior that gets person B promoted, it feels like there’s no clear rubric for advancement, and it creates a sense of favoritism among employees.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Safety, Toxic, Harassment, Lack of Training
Lots of change
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 9, 2019
The new owners have changed a lot of benefits and made a lot of changes that personally don't make sense. The atmosphere is not as friendly as it used to be.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
layoffs happen often
So fun and relaxed
Associate (Current Employee) –  Delafield, WIApril 3, 2019
At times there’s days where it’s so busy it’s frusturating, but it’s moslty a pretty laid back shift. I’m a high schooler and I love working there, the atmosphere is fun, and the managers are a lot of fun aswell. Co workers are all a blast to work with and the building is kept in very good condition.
Fun coworkers, awesome job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 26, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the coworkers. It’s a laidback place most of the time. Most of the management team are awesome. I learned a lot from this job, like, customer service skills, etc.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Not a great work environment
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 20, 2019
Started to workin at Sierra a year or so ago an I had a good outlook on it. However the employees on their way out gave weird warnings and forebodings of what it would be like in a year. And now I know how terrible it is. Got there and a week in I was put on mandatory overtime for 56 hours a week. This continued with few breaks of a week or a month in between totaling a full year of overtime with only two months off of that overtime and it was all over the place a week here a month there and a few more weeks as of recently. Managers don’t give you any input so you don’t know if your doing ok or not. Still waiting for my yearly review not optimistic as the 90 day review turned out to be a myth. Their dock workers are severely underpaid at $10.81 an hour and it never goes up. Even with the constant promises of pay raises and time off of mandatory we have yet to see the light of Day. They will also find every which reason to cheat you out of pay or money on your check it’s scary sometimes what they do.
Pros
You get breaks
Cons
Everything is pretty badly managed and employees are treated badly.
An okay job if you don’t get stressed easily.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 7, 2019
I knew that I’d have to sell a credit card when I first got interviewed for this job, I just didn’t realize how Much they pushed it on employees. It seems like that’s all the job is about. We’re constantly pushed to ask every customer to apply for a TJX Rewards card, which by the way, 95% of people never want to because who wants a store credit card these days? We have to make announcements over the loudspeaker regarding the card, and they also push employees to talk about it on the sales floor. I get super stressed out when I’m on register and there’s a member if management close by, because I feel like they’re judging me based on how I talk to the customer about the rewards card. I’m not great at talking to people. So I asked if they’d like to apply, and if they say no, then I leave it at that. I’m not going to push people to apply for a card that I wouldn’t even apply for. They don’t like that in this company though, they want us to push people to apply for the card. It really sucks because otherwise it’d be a pretty good place to work. It’s laidback besides the card selling aspect of the job.
Pros
Decent time for breaks, nice work environment for the most part
Cons
Feel pressured to sell a credit card
Corporate will be the death of Sierra
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 4, 2019
When I first started working here, I genuinely enjoyed my job. Retail has never been fun or fulfilling for me, but this job actually was. Management seemed to care, the job itself was easy peasy, and pay was decent. Part timers were getting upwards of 30-35 hours the first month that the store was open. Then as the holidays creeped closer, things went downhill so fast. Corporate started pushing the TJX credit card harder and management was giving us impossible quotas, cutting hours, and taking their frustration out on us. Loyal, hardworking employees were quitting left and right. Coordinators were allowed to aimlessly wander the store without helping with recovery and go over on their breaks by 10-20 minutes with no repercussions, but regular employees were pulled aside and lectured if they chatted with another coworker while working or were 1 minute late back from their breaks. The only thing that mattered was cards, cards, cards. We were told employees who got more cards got more hours, despite some getting way more hours on registers, and thus more card opportunities than other employees. Management was a complete mess, they were always having disagreements and talking behind each other's backs. They preached the "open door policy" but many of my coworkers put in complaints about a specific coordinator and nothing was done, because the coordinator would get more card signups than anyone else. Because of this, they are continuing to lose employees, even brand new hires are quitting after their first or second day. Customers hate being bombarded by every employee in the store  more... asking them if they want to sign up for a credit card but corporate couldn't care less. Sierra sadly won't last much longer if this keeps up.  less
Pros
Lots of breaks, 10% discount
Cons
Bad management, Card signup pressure, low hours
Don't Work Here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 25, 2019
So I got this job because I needed a job right away. I've been here about three months and have put my notice in, but I've never worked a job that was so terrible for my mental health. First, when I was hired I told the manager I would work Sunday's, I just didn't want to work every single Sunday. Fair right? What happens? I work every single Sunday.

And then the greed of the company. The pressure to sell credit cards is at times asinine. They'd rather have a couple cards than good sales!!

There's a lot more reasons I've had a terrible time here. Just take my word for it. Please do yourself a favor and never work for a company owned by TJX!!!!! So incredibly glad I'm almost done. One of the worst jobs I've had.
Pros
45 minute lunch
Cons
Pressure to sell, uncaring management
Prior to TJX Purchase
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 12, 2019
This review is prior to the purchase of TJX purchasing Sierra Trading Post. Prior to the sale this company was on the top of the world, It was a treading company with 95% of all work done internally. They took care of there employees from mental health to financially. I am so proud to say I was part of an amazing company.
If you love retail, you'll be fine here.
Softlines Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COFebruary 6, 2019
Peer associates were fabulous, and most actually enjoyed their jobs. Some have been there since the brick and mortar store opened in 2014. You might like this job if you enjoy retail, lots of people like it there. It just wasn't for me. Better pay than most retail. My training was great in things I knew I was supposed to be doing. BUT there were a lot of things I had no idea how to do, and at times, didn't even know I was supposed to do. It's hard to excel at a job where you feel like you're blindfolded.
Pros
discounts on merchandise. Great pay for retail work.
Cons
You have to have the right personality to thrive in this environment. Retail isn't for everyone.
Poor Management and Miserable Atmosphere
OPS (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 27, 2019
STP is everything bad about retail. The management only cares about tjx cards and sales, not their employees. You could have hours cut without a warning or heads up. The overall feel of the staff is miserable- everyone hates working here.
Pros
Easy to get job and good pay for work
Cons
Unstable hours awful atmosphere and unbearable radio
Fun workplace
Operations (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COJanuary 9, 2019
Working in Operations can be fun depending on who you are working with. It can be stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the new items that come into the store.
Pros
10% off
Cons
Short breaks
Great company
Front End/Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 2, 2019
I really loved working at Sierra but the switching from morning to evening hours and not having 2 consecutive days off during the week was a strain on my family. The other downside was that in order to advance into a upper level management position I would have had to relocate which was not an option for me and my family. The management team at the Fort Collins store is absolutely amazing, both of my children have either worked there or are currently working there and they love it to. No two days are alike in the retail industry and that was one of the things that I really loved, not having the same thing happen day after day.
Stressful and crazy
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 20, 2018
When I tried to save the company money by not handing out free gift cards to everyone who complained about anything and resolved those issue with complete customer satisfaction I was given a low review score and told it’s not my money anyway so what does it matter.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Fired hundreds of people when tjx purchased them, entire departments
They don't care
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 12, 2018
I had a family emergency a member had died and my fiance needed me but they wouldn't let me go without an occurrence and wouldn't even work with me to come in another day they only care if there work is done and they get paid not that workers
Productive and Fun place to work
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 29, 2018
This is probably the best retail job I have had yet. I didn't have much 'off-brand" experience. When I came to STP I was beyond tired of being required to push sales down peoples throats, I was happy to discover the very lax selling style that the brand enforces. They say they are a "task based" brand. Meaning that they want their employees focused more on pushing product to the floor than they are with your selling tactics.
Credit cards are really the only thing they encourage you to push.
The position does require more physical labor than any retailer I have worked for.
Management is great, very genuine and caring.
I am sad to see the brand going more towards TJX than to the outdoor retail world, many customers are too.
Been here for three years with no promotion and can't get by on salary
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 14, 2018
No communication, I take on responsibilities of a leadership role for 2 years with no promotion or pay raise. I change batteries in all of the forklifts, do special pulls and different projects to help other departments, train and help fellow employees, and cover for leads when it's needed. Looking up skipped cartons and locating them in wrong locations. I feel taken advantage of and need to find a job that will compensate me for my work ethic and abilities.
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
Poor pay, no chance of advancement
Friendly coworkers and good management!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY 82007November 10, 2018
I very much enjoyed working for Sierra Tradig Post. If not for health issues I would gladly still work there! They have good management and have reasonable- but still beneficial- expectations.
Overal great place to work
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 2, 2018
I went in not knowing how physical the job was, and after working there for awhile, I got use to it physically. It became a fun job, with great people who worked with me. The hours that they have are not the best and the opportunity to move up is not likely. However time off, and vacation were great.
Okay job
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 29, 2018
All in all it was a a good job for what it was, I just personally didn't like the the definition of the job and the strain it did to your body. I would recommend for someone who is wanting to know exactly what they are doing everyday, and the pay is good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sierra Trading Post. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight