Sierra Trading Post Management reviews

Great Place if you aren’t Management
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 9, 2019
Typical small box retail job. Everything broken up into departments. Communication is difficult somehow, unless you’re in the know. Little to no training for any role - including my own. Little to no feedback. A lot of downtime and a lot of unrealistic goals with no follow up. Poor management and more of a bully attitude when it comes to coaching- if they don’t like you they seem to just leave you out of the loop. The specific location I was at has an extremely lax policy on shoplifting- saw people walk out with carts full of stuff daily. Point of sale is absolute garbage. Store doesn’t really focus on customer satisfaction, more of the usual just put it out and they’ll buy it. Biggest problem is the culture because this seems to be a top down issue.
Pros
Uh... some shifts are morning shifts. The right coworkers make it easy.
Cons
Management, lack of communication, lack of training, low wage, no motivation to succeed
Good job to start with
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 27, 2019
Coworkers made the job fun since it was slow at times. It is a happy environment where we had fun while doing the job. There were several managers in my 2 years there and they varied from lenient to strict. If you work hard management won’t have a problem and even gives you a raise. While it wasn’t always fun, it was a good side job to have. They provided us with lots of food and established a fun working environment
Pros
Free food, fun environment, great co workers
Cons
Slow at times
Toxic Employer No Management
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 13, 2019
The most Toxic Employer in Wyoming. Complete lack of any Management skills or warehouse operations. No automation or investment in an automated pick system.

Sierra advertises daily to replenish the employees that last 30 days or less. Folks, there is a reason they are unable to keep help. Extremely toxic work environment. You are a number and that is all you are. Start at $11.74 and that is as high as you will get.

Our on-boarding class is 31. As of today there are two (2) of us at Sierra. Listen to me, 2 of 31 employees in less than three months. Atrocious rate of turnover. The average new hire lasts less than 30 days.

First, the multitude of advertising for open interviews. Everyone is hired so don’t worry about felony convictions at Sierra. Sierra now advertises in Greeley Colorado to obtain employees from the meat packing plants they are that desperate for help.

The on-boarding is done by HR folks that know absolutely nothing about the production floor and the requirements for the jobs. Here is your first RED Alert, Sierra spends an hour talking smack about Unions. Why? Because they should have a Union to protect the abuse of employees and increase the wages and benefits.

Secondly, there is no tour of the production floor. Why? Because Sierra does not want you to view the horrific work conditions and talk to current employees.

Your first day of work you are provided no, none training. In fact, during your entire employment with Sierra you will not be provided with training. Sierra invests no time in training because the average employee
  more... last less than 30 days.

The rules change on a daily basis depending on the direction of the wind. A lack of basic fairness is a good way to fuel a mutiny at work. When person A gets scolded for the same behavior that gets person B promoted, it feels like there’s no clear rubric for advancement, and it creates a sense of favoritism among employees.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Safety, Toxic, Harassment, Lack of Training
An okay job if you don’t get stressed easily.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 7, 2019
I knew that I’d have to sell a credit card when I first got interviewed for this job, I just didn’t realize how Much they pushed it on employees. It seems like that’s all the job is about. We’re constantly pushed to ask every customer to apply for a TJX Rewards card, which by the way, 95% of people never want to because who wants a store credit card these days? We have to make announcements over the loudspeaker regarding the card, and they also push employees to talk about it on the sales floor. I get super stressed out when I’m on register and there’s a member if management close by, because I feel like they’re judging me based on how I talk to the customer about the rewards card. I’m not great at talking to people. So I asked if they’d like to apply, and if they say no, then I leave it at that. I’m not going to push people to apply for a card that I wouldn’t even apply for. They don’t like that in this company though, they want us to push people to apply for the card. It really sucks because otherwise it’d be a pretty good place to work. It’s laidback besides the card selling aspect of the job.
Pros
Decent time for breaks, nice work environment for the most part
Cons
Feel pressured to sell a credit card
Corporate will be the death of Sierra
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 4, 2019
When I first started working here, I genuinely enjoyed my job. Retail has never been fun or fulfilling for me, but this job actually was. Management seemed to care, the job itself was easy peasy, and pay was decent. Part timers were getting upwards of 30-35 hours the first month that the store was open. Then as the holidays creeped closer, things went downhill so fast. Corporate started pushing the TJX credit card harder and management was giving us impossible quotas, cutting hours, and taking their frustration out on us. Loyal, hardworking employees were quitting left and right. Coordinators were allowed to aimlessly wander the store without helping with recovery and go over on their breaks by 10-20 minutes with no repercussions, but regular employees were pulled aside and lectured if they chatted with another coworker while working or were 1 minute late back from their breaks. The only thing that mattered was cards, cards, cards. We were told employees who got more cards got more hours, despite some getting way more hours on registers, and thus more card opportunities than other employees. Management was a complete mess, they were always having disagreements and talking behind each other's backs. They preached the "open door policy" but many of my coworkers put in complaints about a specific coordinator and nothing was done, because the coordinator would get more card signups than anyone else. Because of this, they are continuing to lose employees, even brand new hires are quitting after their first or second day. Customers hate being bombarded by every employee in the store  more... asking them if they want to sign up for a credit card but corporate couldn't care less. Sierra sadly won't last much longer if this keeps up.  less
Pros
Lots of breaks, 10% discount
Cons
Bad management, Card signup pressure, low hours
Don't Work Here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 25, 2019
So I got this job because I needed a job right away. I've been here about three months and have put my notice in, but I've never worked a job that was so terrible for my mental health. First, when I was hired I told the manager I would work Sunday's, I just didn't want to work every single Sunday. Fair right? What happens? I work every single Sunday.

And then the greed of the company. The pressure to sell credit cards is at times asinine. They'd rather have a couple cards than good sales!!

There's a lot more reasons I've had a terrible time here. Just take my word for it. Please do yourself a favor and never work for a company owned by TJX!!!!! So incredibly glad I'm almost done. One of the worst jobs I've had.
Pros
45 minute lunch
Cons
Pressure to sell, uncaring management
Poor Management and Miserable Atmosphere
OPS (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 27, 2019
STP is everything bad about retail. The management only cares about tjx cards and sales, not their employees. You could have hours cut without a warning or heads up. The overall feel of the staff is miserable- everyone hates working here.
Pros
Easy to get job and good pay for work
Cons
Unstable hours awful atmosphere and unbearable radio
Great company
Front End/Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 2, 2019
I really loved working at Sierra but the switching from morning to evening hours and not having 2 consecutive days off during the week was a strain on my family. The other downside was that in order to advance into a upper level management position I would have had to relocate which was not an option for me and my family. The management team at the Fort Collins store is absolutely amazing, both of my children have either worked there or are currently working there and they love it to. No two days are alike in the retail industry and that was one of the things that I really loved, not having the same thing happen day after day.
Productive and Fun place to work
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 29, 2018
This is probably the best retail job I have had yet. I didn't have much 'off-brand" experience. When I came to STP I was beyond tired of being required to push sales down peoples throats, I was happy to discover the very lax selling style that the brand enforces. They say they are a "task based" brand. Meaning that they want their employees focused more on pushing product to the floor than they are with your selling tactics.
Credit cards are really the only thing they encourage you to push.
The position does require more physical labor than any retailer I have worked for.
Management is great, very genuine and caring.
I am sad to see the brand going more towards TJX than to the outdoor retail world, many customers are too.
Friendly coworkers and good management!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY 82007November 10, 2018
I very much enjoyed working for Sierra Tradig Post. If not for health issues I would gladly still work there! They have good management and have reasonable- but still beneficial- expectations.
Be prepared to suffer for no real reason
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 31, 2018
Sierra Trading Post as it was told to me is a "solid working environment where the work is easy, the people decent & the hours reasonable". This is a lie & you're stupid for believing it. I work in a Fulfillment Center as a Dock Hand or "Receiver" so let me tell you how I see things.

My duties include: Refreshing supplies for the Actual Receivers at their stations, cleaning up trash, moving pallets to their designated drop-off location, breaking apart damaged pallets, maintaining the the entire area to ensure not only freight is being moved but also organized correctly, unloading truck & basically whatever else might be required to keep the area functioning at tip-top efficiency.

The problem I am facing as an Employee is that the management is entirely inept & completely insufferable as I have actually had Good Managers so I see their flaws glaringly. I was recently brought on board after what seemed like a massive changing of the guard and as such, I have been left to deal with a horrific power vacuum of bruised egos & a terrible Lack of direction.

My first day I was barely given any kind of direction and left to just sort of "figure it out" getting no more direction than a quick five minute tour and no actual explanation of how things work. They also moved my shift, messed up my pay, tried to deny me a day of work they miscalculated (like they did to a few other employees, quaint) & in general failed to perform in a professional manner time and time again. Mind you I am no Saint of Professionalism, but everything feels like a ego trip with them.

Over the course
  more... of the following weeks I saw the managers harass employees over conveniently enforced safety guidelines that only sometimes apply (when they feel like giving people trouble), give no direction to new trainees (myself and a few others included we just sort of floundered and figured it out), one openly told a female staff that they "Aren't doing as good of a job as a man would", give one employee a write-up because they saw a write-up because he was getting hand sanitizer, - The list is notorious, cruel and insane to be frank.

The gaggle of managers I have to attend to are uninspiring, generic, pressure-mongers who have no actual skill in leadership so they go with the most common strategy of "let's make our workers miserable to get what we want and if they fail, tough". There is one good manager, surprisingly, and he constantly gets forced to do the things they can't be bothered to do like the cowards they are because he's "newer" than them.

I have seen good people, bad people & average people get stomped in the face (metaphorically of course) by them because the managers are being ground down to snubs by the people in the top. The entire structure of management feels like everyone is looking for a quick way out, like a writhing mass of snakes too knotted to free themselves and escape this factorial nightmare.

I have been here only a little while but I have seen everyone drop like flies including people who have apparently been here since October and some who were here even longer. They expect people to want to work at this charade, for low pay, with this kind of indecency thrown at their feet? Preposterous.

The only reason I am still here is by what I can only imagine is an act of miracles or otherworldly causation. I have came here with no expectations, even telling my friends & family "This is a job you go into to make fast, dirty cash, turn heel and walk right out on" and they know this, the company. That's why they have weekly hirings. They will grind you, buckle you and treat you like the dirt they walk on. They know this because they are a failure of a corporation but life must go one, so people do in fact have to work here.

Many of the people here are nice, but that isn't because of the corporation, that is because they are good, decent people who need to eek out a life.
Do not come here. If you do, get a stable position as a Proper Receiver and not what I was thrown into. You're worth more than that, I assure you.

Things to note that you will need to or learn if you end up in my position: Pilot a fork lift, a slider & a device I had described to me as a Lift . You will stand around doing nothing at points because you will complete your tasks, so you will have to perform the astounding illusion of "looking busy" more often than not. On top of that, because of some nonsense reason, we have been placed on mandatory overtime, and for some people it has been mandatory since they started (yes, even the fellow who quit who lasted from October) even though every other position has been barred from requiring it. It seems like a punishment to be frank, like they want to grind us into dust then will end it once this batch of people (myself included) are gone, they will hire new people who will Never speak of what they did ever again.
Pros
None. They consider their low pay an incentive. Consider that.
Cons
Currently: Everything. Run and don't look back.
Since corporate bought us, things have gotten stressful
Mobile Applications Developer (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 2, 2018
Sierra Trading Post was a great place to work, but ever since they were sold to TJX, there have been layoffs every year, communication with management is lacking, business decisions feel bad... It's gone down hill. Hopefully it will get better soon.
Pros
Lax Dress Code, On site "E-Bar", Decent Benefits, above average pay for the area
Cons
Poor upper management, Regular Lay-offs
nothing
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 18, 2018
A good place to work. Management was good. Work place was friendly. Co-workers were friendly. Work place was good. Breaks was 15 minutes and lunch half hours.
Pros
Good training
Productive and comfortable environment
Retail sales associate, operations associate (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJune 11, 2018
I learned what particular items a customer would look for when camping or going on a long-term hike. The workplace culture is very casual, much like most retail stores are. Management team is very nice and can help as best as they can including the flexibility of work hours.
Pros
45-minute lunch break, 20% employee weekend discount
Decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 26, 2018
Management seems to depend on location. Pay pretty bad, but for the work it makes sense. JUst seemed to get a little boring because of the monotony of retail.
Fun Environment
Point of Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanuet, NYApril 25, 2018
This company is a nice company to work for, hours are flexible management is great.

Compared to most retail stores it is a pleasure to work for and several of our staff have been promoted already.
Pros
Lunches, Contests
Cons
Not enough hours for us
Friendly enviornment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 5, 2018
This is a great place to work. Management was fair and enjoyable to work for. I learned a lot about customer service and miss the regular customers.
Pros
Incentive rewards
Cons
pay
Good First Job
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WA 98383February 26, 2018
Amazing First Job and have learned so much from working there, but communication skills between management and employees is very poor. Respect is given by few.
Fun and chill
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJFebruary 22, 2018
Cool and relaxing with great management and great people and get to do retail and inventory and have to work on Saturday and Sunday and only bad part is people leave clothes everywhere
Reproductive,fast pace work environment
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 8, 2018
Great management.
Friendly work environment.
40 hours with a seasonal overtime.
Full benefits.
Two 15 minutes break and half an hour lunch.
Helpful management.
Health benefits including medical ,dental ,vision ,401k,disability ,
but its also it depend on the plan you are going to choose .
Pros
10 hours shift, full benefits
Cons
mandatory overtime in the peak season, the pay is not too great like some of the other companies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sierra Trading Post. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight