Sigma-Aldrich Employee Reviews

Warehouse packer
Warehouse Packer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53209September 16, 2016
Working at my personal work station packing different sorts of chemicals. Using all sorts of hazardous stickers as needed paying close attention to the product so it can be packed accordingly.
Good for entry level experience
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2016
Sigma is a chemical company trying to be a Biotech company. They are risk adverse which really don't work in Biotech. People tend to stay there all of their career.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
risk adverse cultuer
Crazy Micro-management
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHAugust 31, 2016
There are way too many rules and regulations. It was like being back in high school. They micro-manage every aspect of every job. They do not pay their employees very well.
Pros
Decent health benefits
Cons
Micro-management
Little to no attention to given to the needs of employees.
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2016
An extremely fast paced environment with heavy workload on management. There is a top-down approach to management which often times doesn't address the real issues on the ground. Coworkers are good for the most part but there is lack of team effort at times.
The hardest part of the job is that management doesn't understand how to deal with daily issues - they believe they have an answer to everything which unfortunately peppers over the problem instead of addressing the root cause.
The most enjoyable part of the work is being able to function effectively in an environment where everyone wants something from you. Gives you great personal growth.
Cons
Too many hours of work every week with little to no breaks.
Job opportunities, good benefits, average to low pay
MAINTENANCE AND FACILITIES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 22, 2016
Wide range of job opportunities, quality co-workers, older facilities, upper management is approachable, conservative approach, work life balance is good.
Pros
Benefits, job opportunities
Cons
pay
ok
Packaging Operator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 19, 2016
This company is a good one. It provides its employees with benefits, yearly raises, paid time off, and sick time. this company has allowed me to be employed for 22 years.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Productive fun workplace.
Chemical Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 17, 2016
A typical day consists of getting set up, going over safety tips because of the environment. In this field i learned to go over basic procedures and safety guidelines i also learned how to go over paper work processes for quality control purposes. Management was decent but not as organized as it could be, and i had a good team of co-workers, everyone worked together and made sure as a whole we were safe. Hardest part of the job is meeting quota with having to weigh open chemical. The most enjoyable part was just being around good people and getting a chance to experience something different.
Provides great teamwork, clean and safe enviroment to work
SHUTTLE DRIVER (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63105July 12, 2016
I have learned a lot about being safe and clean while working with different chemicals. Also the management staff and co worker have your back and will help you when in need.
Like family
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 26, 2016
I loved my time with Sigma-Aldrich. Although it is a bit slower paced, the sales team had a familial environment where you felt respected and taken care of.
Very Balance environment
HR Coordinator/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Spruce, MOJune 6, 2016
It is a good place to work. My co workers are very pleasant and when it is time to concentrate no one will interrupt you. I learn how to organized better.
Company with great benefits
CMMG Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 26, 2016
When I began working at Sigma-Aldrich diversity of persons where lacking. As the years went by, that area started to improve.
Excellent Start to a Career
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIApril 25, 2016
Started my career in chemical operations with Sigma. Good employee training program with strong support form group leaders/management. A great place to learn a new skill set and hone your skills.
Pros
Strong reputable company with a great appreciation for their employees, they reinvest in their employees and encourage self improvment.
Cons
Low end of market salary/pay.
Christmas Party every year
Chemical Packer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 4, 2016
I would put on all my personal protective equipment. Identify my chemicals to be weighed on a scale. The chemicals would be weighed in bottles and capped to be shipped to customers. After every order i would do my paperwork to ensure accurate numbers. Communication between co-workers would be important to ensure the right chemicals and right numbers of product is correct. Taking off and putting on all that ppe after every break and lunch or meeting is very time consuming and difficult. Moving from a different station everyday made the job enjoyable because you were never doing the same thing.
Pros
Great company lunch room with a cook and hot food daily.
Cons
Advancement in the company.
good place to work
Instrumentation (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 1, 2015
This was my First full time job. It has good benefits, good starting salary but hard to move up in the maintenance dept. very good work/ life balance with over time if needed.
Very conservative organization
QC Scientist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2015
Profitable company focused 99.9% on numbers and 0.1% on employees growth, development and personal lives. While I was there, the organization tried to get into a FDA regulated operations without much success due to the nature of the upper management in not investing upfront which was needed to upgrade infrastructure.
Cons
An annual unchangeable profit bonus of $70 regardless of the company profit.
Worst Company To Receive Employment
Senior Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MAOctober 28, 2015
Worst safety environment to work in, do not care one least about safety. Everyone is mostly concerned about moving up the food chain instead of getting work accomplished. Management is horrible and clueless on how to manage. HR department is even worse. The only enjoyable part were the people that worked in manufacturing(non management). Now if you looking for a company not to accomplish much in a working day(slack around), THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE! Like I said management is not smart.
Scientific Packager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2015
Very productive and safe workplace which prioritized worker safety above all else. While I was just a temp, I felt very welcomed and quickly assimilated to the work culture.
Weighing chemicals
Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 22, 2015
Weighing chemicals, in each unit. Assuring accurate and proper chemical weight, and packaging of each unit. It was a good experience to have, it was quite interesting. But a lot of heavy lifting and heavy work.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 17, 2015
I love this job. while working there i learned alot about chemicals and how to order pick as well as working at a fast pace.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
short breaks
Great Company, Nice Environment, but not for me.
Customer Service Representative-Premier (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 16, 2015
Being so stationary in a cubicle with no opportunity to move or stretch, and only a 30 minute lunch to catch your breath, does not fit my personality or work ethic.