Signet Jewelers Employee Reviews

Don't do it.
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  FLSeptember 16, 2018
I was a Jewelry Consultant for 5 years and there is no room for advancement in this corporation. Job work to life balance is very poor so if you intend on never seeing your family again, join the signet family.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Every thing else.
A job of stress and pressure
Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 14, 2018
If you have no outside life then this is the job for you. If you like working in an environment that is full of stress and long hours even during the off season go for it.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Poor management
Benefits/Leave of Absence Administrator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 10, 2018
the management is very stressed with dealing with horrible employees. they are unable to give the attention to the rest of the employees who are in need of assistance.
Every difficult place to work
IT Manager Network Engineering (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 8, 2018
With the re-organization of the IT support all most all IT decisions are coming out of Akron. There is always more than one way to doing things in IT and there was a big difference between Irving and Akron. So with almost everything coming out of Akron there are big changes on how Dallas supports the business. Akron management went out of its way to keep Dallas uninformed and any suggestions made was rejected. It seemed it was Akron's way only without any input. Some of us just wanted to help and be apart of the solution. Akron has some solutions that are not a best practice and it will bit them at some point. If you go there understand that IT leadership and directions are coming out of Akron and that will not change unless IT executives move to Dallas, which from an IT resource would be better for the company.
Pros
A lot of work to be done, there are some great leadership in Dallas
Cons
Akron IT best practices fall short, Akron IT executives don't listen to Dallas
Super Corporate
Buyer - Diamond Fashion (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 4, 2018
A strong company but, the work environment and culture was quite difficult. The hardest part was Management and how cut throat people are there. The hours are rough but, needed to get all the work done. They suffer in technology and work harder more than smarter.
I would take a pay cut to have a better culture. The only enjoyable part for me is the work it self. I love jewelry and buying and I've grown a career out of it, it's my passion.
Benefits
Cons
Management, culture, work loads and hours
Adequate place to work
Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 3, 2018
Management does not spend much money investing in IT and their operations. As a result, the company uses old systems and outdated technology to support their business.
Pros
Co-workers are friendly
Cons
lack of investment in other areas of the business
This is a great place for a career
Signet Employee (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 2, 2018
I've worked for Kay Jewelers for 14 years and been promoted based on my hard work. I've had some ups and downs, but overall...they have taken great care of me. I've had some amazing mentors.
Signet is a big company and it's not possible to make everyone happy. I would say that generally the people who like are unhappy and like to say how terrible it is, are those who are not willing to work hard and put in the effort to be successful. Yes it is a sales job, and sales is definitely not for everyone. It is ethical and at not point in my 14-year career has the company asked me to do or say anything unethical. We make it fun and competition is friendly. I love my job!
Pros
Size of Company, Opportunity for advancement, benefits
Cons
Low starting pay for Jewelry Consultants with no experience
Ehhh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 22, 2018
The culture is cool, but management is super shaky. The sale goals are almost unimaginable and management is pressured by corporate to enforce that. The trickle down effect for sure. And even when you hit your sales goal it then falls on the entire store to reach the goals for that week. It’s too up and down and no one has time for uncertainty. Manager was extremely rude when talking about fellow coworkers behind their backs, and even worse when a employee leaves. Plays buddy buddy then hit you with CORPORATE BS. Definitely a two-faced environment.
Pros
Coworkers where ok
Cons
Not enough money
Totally depends on the day.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 20, 2018
I’ve had days where everything has been fine, other days we would have people yelling at us because we were following company policy. You’re commission starts at .25% which is completely ridiculous. You would think you would make more at a jewelry store but you really don’t. It’s just another retail job. There would be days where it would be so slow and we have our district manager calling us telling us to go peddle for sales and credit apps. There is hardly any care for the guest as far as upper management goes. It’s all about sales and credit, even if that means swindling people in to do an app just to make numbers. Commission sales also brings out the worst in people and makes people very competitive and makes the work environment stressful and totally not relaxed.
Pros
Benefits for full time, and great manager
Cons
Low pay for what’s expected, bullying by coworkers, and unrealistic expectations
Busy and interesting
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2018
I love the customer service experience that we are able to provide guests. From a simple battery change in a watch to custom designing a 50th anniversary pendant. There is always something interesting going on.
This was an okay job at first....
DC Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 15, 2018
I work in the DISTRIBUTION CENTER and they work us to the bone the pay is okay but I feel like it should be more for the work we do!!! The lead is terrible and doesn’t like her job! This job is physically demanding,
Do NOT work here
Jelwery Consultant (Former Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 15, 2018
Part time you make minimum wage, full time starts alittle above minimum wage. Signet Jewlers is a terrible company. They hound you on signing people up for credit cards, even if the person is willing to pay out right. The customers do not like this. You're required to mention the credit card at a minimal 3 times during your time with a customer. The commission starts out at .25% and you have to sell over 300,000 in a year to move up to .5% commission. .25% is a single quarter for every 100$ you sell. The bonus is only bennifical if you work in a high volume mall. And if you are in a small mall or shopping center and don't have any customers come in for hours they put that on you. It's silly to blame your workers for your lack of customers coming in to the store. 10/10 reccomend NOT even wasting your time.
I love what I do and Im good at it
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 12, 2018
I LOVE what I do and Im very good at it. Making dreams come true for my guests. To see their faces when I've helped them find the perfect piece or we've custom made something they never expected and they fall in love all over again when they see it. Many turn into friends after its all said and done. 5 years ago things were different and I saw myself with this company until I retired. However, changes in corporate has made it challenging to still feel that way. If compensation was better I would be a full time sales associate and be perfectly happy. However, even as a store manager you don't make enough to live on where I live. With that and no quality of life because its an expectation to work a standard demanding schedule its not worth it anymore. IF you have no kids, wife or family, No hobbies or friends you're good to go if you want to advance into management. IF you have any of those you'll want to stay a full time sales associate
Pros
discounts on jewelry, meet new people daily, you can create and design jewelry for your customers
Cons
No quality of life for management and above, compensation is not where it should be for what is expected
Horrible
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 10, 2018
This company is horrible to work for. The management lacks training and work ethic. They only care about themselves and not their employees. All management is brainwashed.
Benefits
Cons
Micro manage
My time at Signet Jewelers
Senior Audit Clerk, MRPC (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 9, 2018
Every department I worked in my entire tenure of this company, we have had a sense of teamwork and family. The hardest part of the job was to get through the light days of minimum workflow and still be expected to keep our daily quotas.The management team did a wonderful job to inspire us to keep the team working great together. I loved it when the workflow became busy and we all did our duites to the best of our abilities.
Pros
Movie rewards and door prizes and luncheons
Cons
Small breakroom, short lunches
Great place to work.
1st tier Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHAugust 8, 2018
Signet Jewelers was a great place to work and I would still be there but personal issues arose and separated me from the ability to give the company my best.
Pros
Great Benefits, and stability
Cons
distance from home was too far.
Credit Authorizer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 6, 2018
Always doing research and finding the new rules. Constantly learning new things and the more you learn the better you are with your own credit score. Learning about what all goes into it.
Don't Waste Your Time and Life for this Company!
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN/Oviedo, FLAugust 5, 2018
Definitely not reciprocated. Each person is merely treated as a pawn and a current resolution.

Assistant Manager/Acting Manager of Kay Jewelers Store - 2 1/2 years

Jewelry Specialist, Jared - 1 year

After four years, realize this is not the way life should be to be happy and had had enough of being used and abused.

VERY LOW PAY.

Company does not keep promises. Very slow to act/react fo serious issues, or no action taken at all. No support from hierarchy of leadership.

Daily lectures, insults, disabled self-identification (only want you to be mini-"thems"), fear and intimidation. DO NOT EVER RELAX OR FEEL SECURE. Only certain "clicks" of people treated as 'part of a family."

Because of bottom-line figures affecting manager and assistant manager, necessary jewelers tools were either broken or not available, despite requests (i.e. changing of timepiece batteries). Don't have all tools necessary to simplify tasks, tools not kept up.
Several diamond testers consistently do not work properly, yet we are just to "try another one."

Ideas of "lower employees of the pool" - despite my previous experiences in management and a wealth of valuable knowledge and customer service, as I have been told - were made into a put-down or an argument as to why suggestion/idea would not work. "It may make it easier for you, but this is the way we do it and will continue to do it. Your suggestion holds no merit, don't want it done that way." Causes low self-esteem, timidity and uselessness of individual expression. Simple individual ways of doing things - all coming
  more... to the same end - were neh-neh'd away, therefore causing discouragement, discord in the workplace. Constant bickering and distrust. Co-workers pitted against each other because of "standards" lecture, even though disciplinary comments made to a few of us that "every sale should have turn-over." Well, see that VERY INFREQUENTLY from the Assistant Manager and the employees "in the click." Constant differing rules from different management persons. Constant drama and bickering amongst employees. Mostly, uncertainty, fear of insults, feeling of never being ever to please -- "unless you made a big sale." As has been said many times, Signet is a "sales-driven company." Don't ever let up, keep on pressure, pressure, pressure. MUST BE 100% IN ALL FIVE STANDARDS to be favored in the 'click.'" If sales were not at store level, no matter what other standards were, you just don't make the grade. Doesn't matter that the management keeps adding more and more jewelry diamond specialists or that there are not a lot of buying customers, just inspections and repairs using a magnitude of lifetime warranties (which,by the way, is one standard, yet repairs is another ???) I was trained to Sell, not just be a repair and inspection liason. As has been said by many guests, constant turnover, much incompetence kept, good ones leave.
These feelings are not just my perspective.

Hated job at Jared's from day one - I just am not the kind of person that cares more about the company and less of the guest's trust and experience. (And I must add the terrible disrespect by the upper echilons at Kay Jewelers, when I would have definitely welcomed open communication.)
Pros
Beautiful jewelry, commanded to know about timepieces offered and jewels
Cons
Hierarchy in managers, constant pressure, producers of failure feelings
Poor Management
Jeweler Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAAugust 4, 2018
I can say much about this place, but I'll keep it simple. Poor management, employees can care less about you unless you are party of their little group. Manager (at least in the Simi Valley location) was terrible. Did not provide me with breaks, would make me do all the work instead of passing some of the work to others, was on and off with this attitude and much more about other employees. Other shops might be different but this one in Simi Valley was very bad. I ended up exiting that job to find out that California still didn't approve my unemployment even though Signet Jewelers was breaking the law by not providing me with my required breaks.
Pros
Liked working with my hands
Cons
Poor management skills, treatment was unfair, and no communication
Good job
Jewelry Specialist Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 3, 2018
Overall a very good job. No home life, must have open availability. Advancement opportunities are available but compensation does not cover the amount you have to put in to be successful. Very fast paced, if you are lucky like I was and had a good manager it made life easier, however that's not always the case.

Lots of training, incentives and team work environment.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
No home life