Silicon Graphics Employee Reviews

Great Company
Territory Account Mgr (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2018
SGI was the hot technology company to work for in the 90's. They had great technology. As the industry shifted from Unix RISC based systems to x86 Linux SGI missed the market transition.
Fun place to work with break rooms
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount View, WINovember 4, 2018
Always something going on this campus seemed like everyone walked around with a huge smile on their face. Fast paced work environment with strict deadlines
This was an excellant opportunity for 20+ years of my career! Very excellant company. intellegent people to work with, exciting and fun!!! Loved it!!
Sr. Strategic Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CAJuly 27, 2018
This was a very educational driven company. I enjoyed working with customers, suppliers, my co-workers and learning something new every single day, This is a high Tech company therefore fluctuates with industry and economy. I enjoyed the traveling and all the wonderful opportunities! I really miss it!! :(
Pros
The great people, customers, suppliers and learning, training, travel and the large range of opportunities available.
Cons
Vulnerable industry, business growth flucuations making it hard to finacially plan one's life.
Productive; Interactive and Flexible
Indirect Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJuly 10, 2018
I initially started working for Rackable Systems in 2005 as their Collections & Commission Manager (a position the CFO/Founder created for me; as I had worked with him at Noosh, Inc., and he valued my expertise and work ethic) within 2 months Indirect Tax was added to my responsibilities, within 6 months Order and Billing Management were added to my responsibilities. A few months later, Product Revenue Manager was added. In 2009 Rackable acquired Silicon Graphics and the above positions (excluding Indirect Tax) were all moved to Wisconsin. The CFO asked me to stay on as the Indirect Tax Manager. I held this position for 9 years at which point HPE acquired SGI, I stayed in the same position while we transitioned for 1.5 years.

Throughout the company and employee changes I was always encouraged by the professionalism, collaboration and drive that the employees exhibited. A common goal to provide the best product and service to our customers. While growing the bottom line.
Pros
Employees; Professional Environment; HR Events; Collaboration, Travel; Paid Training and Seminars
Cons
Leaving
Fun place to work at
Public Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 17, 2018
I worked at the old SGI. It was a fun place to work at. I made a lot of great networking relationships. The company promoted within and gave regular merit increases.
Pros
Lunches, benefits, gym, fun events
Cons
It's not the same company
HPE is a corporation
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIMarch 9, 2018
HPE is not a great place to work. lots of silo environments where nobody knows what the other is doing. One group says you can do it this way, the next group says no, cannot do it that way, etc....
A toxic environment where your a number, not a person.
Pros
Cons
too many too mention
Great Place
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 12, 2018
Great place to work. Good people who were willing to share information. Engineers were helpful. Management was understanding. Benefits were great.
Pros
Company lunches, benefits, 401k matches, dental, medical, vision, great culture
Cons
Laid off people a lot of people to hire management personels
Nice job, would recommend to anyone
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Pembine, WIFebruary 11, 2018
The company is actually specialty granules inc not silicon graphic but I can’t get that to switch, SGI does a good job of taking care of it’s workers with good benefits and 8 hour shifts, only draw back for me is swing shift
Pros
Paid lunch, good lockerooms and showers
Cons
Swingshift
Great place to work.
Customer Operations Analyst - Order Admin Dept (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIFebruary 8, 2018
Was truly a great place to work and advance my career. The computer business is always changing so you need to be able to adjust to new ideas and processes.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Competitive market.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIJanuary 24, 2018
I loved working here. Management is great and is there when you may need them. They have flexible vacation time and pay for any approved time off. I would go back if I could.
it was a great company while it lasted
MEMBER OF TECHNICAL STAFF (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 23, 2018
too many management issues that resulted in financial issues with layoff after layoff and several bankruptcies too, but the tech workers were the best and brightest. Everyone helped each other and had a great time.
Good for an Internship
Technical Writer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIJanuary 3, 2018
Interning at SGI was great for one of my college semesters. I had a pretty open schedule and they were flexible about when I came in. I interned as a technical writer and learned a lot about coding and publishing.
Pros
Free bagles
Comfortable employment
Materials Manager/inventory analyst (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIDecember 23, 2017
As, a manager I allowed my employees the same freedom that I received from my superiors. As long as they were performing and the tasks were completed.
Pros
When the company was doing well, we did receive bonuses
Cons
Reductions in workfoce monthly
Fun place to work with great employees
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WINovember 9, 2017
Very flexible company to work for. Management was good and provided support when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenges and great co-workers.
On top of the world
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 6, 2017
Until the mid '90s SGI was on top of the world, with a great corporate culture and filled with overachievers. Its push into spaces dominated by Sun Microsystems and increasingly powerful PCs failed to help it maintain its growth and may have doomed it. It still exists but is a shadow of its former self.
Temporary Job in repro-graphics and design
Reprographics Specialist / Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYAugust 23, 2017
Typical 9-5 Job. Managed customers and accounts. Handled creation and packaging of blueprints and designs. Was in contact with many professional corporations on a daily bases. Formal dress code.
Pros
Discounted Printing
Cons
No benefits or advancement opportunity
Logistics Intern (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIMay 24, 2017
great place to work. great hours. great pay. great culture. sgi has everything anyone could want in a job, and more. this should be the first place you apply to, and if you get an offer, accept it immediately. the work will be challenging at first, but management are not perfectionists. they are very patient and appreciate communication. they are committed to making sure their employees have the knowledge and training they need to learn their jobs and become proficient at them over time. again, this is the ideal company to work for.
Pros
free coffee all the time, free bagels on friday
Cons
if you are introverted, you may be overwhelmed by the friendly culture
Worked only during summer
Summer Intern, IT (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 29, 2017
A great place to work. Great culture. I had an awesome manager who was a wonderful mentor and taught me the ABCs of Sarbanes Oxley Act and relevant controls in IT.
A day at sgi in it
Lead Sr. System Administrator for HQ office (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAFebruary 2, 2017
A great place to work, before it was taken over by HPE.

Everyone one here was happy and and pleasant to work with. We had games we played as company and held birthday and holiday partys.

All in all the people here are great everyday people to work with.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
low pay
This job allowed me to get very creative, because we had limited funds, but had to allocate them appropriately.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calverton, MDJanuary 7, 2017
I loved preparing for the monthly presentations. Essentially, I crunched numbers all day. Then, once a month I was able to use my verbal/communication skills. It was an experience that allowed me to use both sides of my brain.
Pros
I worked with many smart people, good pay, I was challenged to solve problems everyday.
Cons
It was a sedentary environment.