Silicon Graphics Employee Reviews

This was an excellant opportunity for 20+ years of my career! Very excellant company. intellegent people to work with, exciting and fun!!! Loved it!!
Sr. Strategic Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CAJuly 27, 2018
This was a very educational driven company. I enjoyed working with customers, suppliers, my co-workers and learning something new every single day, This is a high Tech company therefore fluctuates with industry and economy. I enjoyed the traveling and all the wonderful opportunities! I really miss it!! :(
Pros
The great people, customers, suppliers and learning, training, travel and the large range of opportunities available.
Cons
Vulnerable industry, business growth flucuations making it hard to finacially plan one's life.
Fun place to work at
Public Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 17, 2018
I worked at the old SGI. It was a fun place to work at. I made a lot of great networking relationships. The company promoted within and gave regular merit increases.
Pros
Lunches, benefits, gym, fun events
Cons
It's not the same company
Nice job, would recommend to anyone
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Pembine, WIFebruary 11, 2018
The company is actually specialty granules inc not silicon graphic but I can’t get that to switch, SGI does a good job of taking care of it’s workers with good benefits and 8 hour shifts, only draw back for me is swing shift
Pros
Paid lunch, good lockerooms and showers
Cons
Swingshift
Great place to work.
Customer Operations Analyst - Order Admin Dept (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIFebruary 8, 2018
Was truly a great place to work and advance my career. The computer business is always changing so you need to be able to adjust to new ideas and processes.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Competitive market.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIJanuary 24, 2018
I loved working here. Management is great and is there when you may need them. They have flexible vacation time and pay for any approved time off. I would go back if I could.
it was a great company while it lasted
MEMBER OF TECHNICAL STAFF (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 23, 2018
too many management issues that resulted in financial issues with layoff after layoff and several bankruptcies too, but the tech workers were the best and brightest. Everyone helped each other and had a great time.
Comfortable employment
Materials Manager/inventory analyst (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIDecember 23, 2017
As, a manager I allowed my employees the same freedom that I received from my superiors. As long as they were performing and the tasks were completed.
Pros
When the company was doing well, we did receive bonuses
Cons
Reductions in workfoce monthly
On top of the world
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 6, 2017
Until the mid '90s SGI was on top of the world, with a great corporate culture and filled with overachievers. Its push into spaces dominated by Sun Microsystems and increasingly powerful PCs failed to help it maintain its growth and may have doomed it. It still exists but is a shadow of its former self.
Temporary Job in repro-graphics and design
Reprographics Specialist / Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYAugust 23, 2017
Typical 9-5 Job. Managed customers and accounts. Handled creation and packaging of blueprints and designs. Was in contact with many professional corporations on a daily bases. Formal dress code.
Pros
Discounted Printing
Cons
No benefits or advancement opportunity
Worked only during summer
Summer Intern, IT (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 29, 2017
A great place to work. Great culture. I had an awesome manager who was a wonderful mentor and taught me the ABCs of Sarbanes Oxley Act and relevant controls in IT.
This job allowed me to get very creative, because we had limited funds, but had to allocate them appropriately.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calverton, MDJanuary 7, 2017
I loved preparing for the monthly presentations. Essentially, I crunched numbers all day. Then, once a month I was able to use my verbal/communication skills. It was an experience that allowed me to use both sides of my brain.
Pros
I worked with many smart people, good pay, I was challenged to solve problems everyday.
Cons
It was a sedentary environment.
A long time ago, fun and challenging
Design Verification Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIDecember 1, 2016
A challenging place to work with leading edge technology and great engineers.
Co-workers were the highest quality.
Great benefits (then).
Company is a shell of it's former self
Senior Project Manager, Professional Services (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 1, 2016
Terrible management from the top on down led to SGI's downfall. I had 6 different managers in 18 months. Enjoyed being able to travel business class, but that was about it. Left as soon as I could.
Best High End 3D computer company on the planet
Configuraion Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 4, 2016
I was brought in by a headhunter on a temporary assignment as an independent document control analyst until they were able to secure a full time manager. After 3 months on the assignment the Director of Engineering offered me a full time direct position as their senior Document Control Analyst.
My hardest task was stepping out of the Microsoft world and into the Unix world. Navigating by command lines and learning a new OS was a challenge all into itself. The company offered ongoing unix classes, which were actually mandatory as part of your self improvement and development These classes were a part of your annual review and compensation.
SGI was the precursor to what Las Vegas knows as the Zappos culture Free dinner if you work past 5p. Free coffee and soda, work out rooms in every building (20 buildings). Constant employee appreciation days. Off-site trips, 6 week sabbatical after every 4 years of employment. Split shift if you had children you had to deal with. Excellent pay and stock options!!!!
Pros
All arunggreat company who appreciated their employees to the fulles
Cons
None, You worked as hard as you played....
flexible schedule, very high priority on fast responce
fiel/system engineer (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 25, 2016
challenging work...cutting edge technology with very demanding clients.

We have some of the fastest computers in the world, some of which I have worked on.
Pros
great tech, great engineering support
Cons
travel with no notice
Productive and Collaborative
Senior Consultant, Services Marketing (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CASeptember 11, 2015
SGI offers a productive and collaborative work environment and is a great opportunity for those who would like a work/life balance.

Really intelligent, talented people.
packer
Packer Operator (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 6, 2015
expect the tickets, leaned about the different way to check security on the tickets. management sucks. rally care about the ppl working there. co-workers were great. most enjoyable part were the time the workers would get together to have different little parties
Pros
none co-workers
Cons
on your feet all day
Office politics
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIAugust 5, 2015
Company was in financial turmoil while I was there...declared bankruptcy a couple of times. Employees were regularly laid off with good people getting cut while lesser people stayed on because they were friends with the decision makers. It's more about who you know in the company vs. what you know. Could be good but the job instability isn't so fun.
Fun place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 27, 2015
Silicon Graphics was an awesome company to work for even though i was a contractor thru a temp agency my time at the company was a blast back in the day they would take care of there employees and have onsite party's on Fridays My job was very hectic at times but we had a good manager at the time nothing bad to say about Silicon Graphics.
Excellent technology
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2015
Great people, like a family. Great technology. The best of the best minds at work both in the lab and in the field. A true excitement among everyone that we were making a difference in the world.