Silver Bay Seafoods Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I love working here, my first time in Silver bay went from processor to forklift to foreman to Mechanical Engineer.
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Naknek, AKOctober 18, 2018
Excellent place to work. Get to work with different nationalities and get to share cultures. Good food and awesome management crew. A lot of hours and good pay
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Missing your family's
Interesting place to work
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKSeptember 13, 2018
When working there I made friends with people from all over the country. The work Itself was not something to scoff at, but if you work hard and you show it they give you recognition, because they value hard workers, because they know they're the ones going places.
Overall the place was a great work environment with some amazing people at the helm.
Don't let the hard work scare you away. The people you meet, the beauty of the state, and the experience that you gain make it worth it.
TANK CREW LEAD (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKSeptember 13, 2018
First week and a half was slow. Try to see the town if you get the chance to journey there. After the first two weeks it was 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. Overtime will make the paycheck worth it.
Pros
Paid travel*, food, board, entertainment, laundry service, work experience.
Cons
Long hours.
Very busy work place
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCSeptember 5, 2018
I loved working at silver bay. Only thing is that the management were very dude but sometimes understanding. I loved the business because it was great money when you do the job right
hard work long hours
Herring Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKAugust 25, 2018
We worked 12 hour days in a cold concrete and tin warehouse. we were pushed hard to work as fast as possible. Meals were poorly made sometimes still cold.
Fast Pace,Result Driven,Goal Oriented,Awesome company
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKAugust 21, 2018
Working for Silverbay Seafoods was amazing. Hours worked daily were between 12 to 16hrs. The company is very goal oriented since the salmon season in alaska last around 4months, so as long as our fleet was able to find fish, our processing plants were running non-stop. There is a culture of family within each plant, as well as hardwork and teamwork. I learned most of my professional skills working for SIlverbay Seafoods, such as scheduling,attendance of over 300 people per shift,problem solving,multitasking and crew leading.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Very physical work and long hours
Just Say No
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCAugust 18, 2018
If you ever get the chance to get a job at silver bay seafood I would highly recommend you try it for a week, just for the experience. Everyone needs at least one horrible job experience that would be an opportunity to gain yours.
Cons
Short breaks
Challenging but Rewarding
Corporate Fleet Accountant/Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKAugust 2, 2018
One of the best companies in the industry. Still small enough to care about their people. I watched people go from working on the fish processing line to become senior managers at the company based soley on talent and work ethic.
Pros
Compensation and benefits. Good management.
Cons
Long hours during fishing season. Can be stressful.
very bad no even go you will die
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 24, 2018
very bad company don't go you will die no break, sometimes no lunch, long hours you will get sick and die for sure, so many people quit the job on the first week, and you have to leave with no money at all.
Cons
very bad some people quit on the first week to much is to much
Summary at silver bay
SEAFOOD PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKJuly 15, 2018
I love working at silver bay because it was a seasonal job, we go out in Alaska twice a year, we go 3 months in winter season and 6 months for summer season. Out there you meet different kinds of people from different cultures and background. I love to surround myself with different people, the is hard but with different energy you keep moving, we work 16hrs a day
It’s an okay place to work at
Server (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 26, 2018
They are good employees, but the work is way to hard. They only give you the shirt the rest you have to buy yourself. They take the cost of your shirt, name tag, and book out of your first pay check.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Work is to much for the pay
Quick Pace
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Naknek, AKJune 26, 2018
Long hours, good pay, free room and board, great food, many diverse cultures to work with. I enjoy the job as well as the people as they look forward to my help
Once in a Life Time Experiance
FISH ROE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJune 7, 2018
Silver bay Seafoods is not a job i think anyone will like, the hours are long, pay is decent and your away from family for months at a time. I will say this thought, its an experience you will never forget.I meet some amazing friends, learned valuable life lessons and really appreciated my jobs after. If your young and want something new and exciting git it a try but it is not for the faint of heart.
Pros
Amazing Experience, Great Friends, Beautiful Location
Cons
Long Hours, Away from home
Productive work place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKApril 5, 2018
Long days sometimes nights. Nice summer job being by the ocean. The hardest part about the job was long hours and standing on your feet. Also very messy job
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Short breaks
Commercial Fisherman (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKMarch 28, 2018
It was a fun and memorable place couldn’t be better. Definitely will fish for them again if I go back into the fishing industry. Great people good company
Money is grate, 112 + hrs. Per week, lots of over time
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKMarch 6, 2018
Best seasonal job out there hands down. You will make a very good amount of money while your put there. Get to meet people from all over the world. Make life time friends while your out there.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snakes 24-7.
Cons
Your away from family about 2 months per season.
Amazing opportunity to become creative in your work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKFebruary 20, 2018
My relationship with SBS was a bit quirky, as I was also contracted as a commercial fisherman. The company is very flexible on work schedules after the first few weeks depending on the nature of your projects.

I was lucky to already be on the front lines of the industry so the work I did in the field only enhanced my ability to analyze and make sense of the catch data on the back end.

I would recommend to folks looking to gain vast exposure to a market that is in dire need of further analysts, data, tracking and information in order to sustain a healthy salmon and fish population moving forward.
Pros
$$$, flexibility, deep industry knowledge
Cons
Stressful environment, demanding, rapidly shifting needs, seasonal
Commercial fishing
COMMERCIAL FISHING DECKHAND (Former Employee) –  Bristol Bay, AKFebruary 4, 2018
Commercial fishing is a great experience and there is a lot of money to be made. Was just a part time deckhand there is nothing really to review about silverbay.
Pros
money
Cons
Lots of long hours
Silver Bay Seafoods
Deckhand (Near Fall), Head cook (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKFebruary 2, 2018
Great experience on a Salmon Boat. Long hard days but fun and exiting as well. Good hard work for hardworking people. Don't bring friends that don't know how to work hard.
trabajo duro
Empacadora (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJanuary 18, 2018
trabajo con largas horas de jornada y Poco Tiempo de descanso