Silver Bay Seafoods Employee Reviews

Long hours, hard labor, competitive, great reward
Captain John Brantuas (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98199December 10, 2018
we wake up at four thirty am and work until about eleven at night with the deliberate goal of casting our gear out to catch as many salmon as safely and efficiently as possible. in between hauling out net on board, I was the appointed cook as was responsible for feeding the crew pre-breakfast, breakfast, lunch, post lunch, and dinner meals. aside from the act of fishing, we were all responsible for safe travel through alaskas south eastern archipelago. to keep ourselves busy during travel we would maintain the integrity of our vessel via repair and cleaning.
the hardest part was the lack of sleep.
the most enjoyable parts were, the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness and when it was over.

I learned I am capable of bending the limits of my body and mind to adapt to any work environment.
Pros
payment, physical labor, outdoors, community.
Cons
lack of sleep, frustrated coworkers
Hard work great pay
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKDecember 3, 2018
This is really hard work but as I said it provides a really good pay, its a seasonal Job in Alaska, we would work 16 hours per day every day. You need to wear your positivism every day after your body screams from pain. Overall its a great experience in a gorgeous place.
summary
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 8, 2018
great place to work at, friendly people , nice environment, etc.
good working hours, awesome work space , potential to grow , variety of responsibilities.
Learning how to deal with the public
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Easley, SCNovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed my 13 years with silver bay. They worked well with my schedule. I worked my way to assistant manager and couldn't move up further. The environment taught me how to deal with difficult situations.
Pros
Worked with my schedule
Cons
No benefits
Great summer job
Freezerman (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKOctober 29, 2018
A job if you are traveling and you like seasonal work. Valdez is a very beautiful nature filled friendly town. Full of life culture and great seasonal work. You will meet awesome people from around the world.
Pros
People /Environment
Cons
No tolerance or caring for the sick and injured on the job
I wouldn’t personally recommend this job
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  AlaskaOctober 25, 2018
I really didn’t like this Job because I would have to work so many Hrs. Then inside the warehouse it’s cold because we have to keep this Seafood at a good temperature. They pay really good but I don’t think the job is worth it!
Fast paced, Great people and experience
FORKLIFT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKOctober 24, 2018
Good company to work for. Seasonal work which can be hectic and not really a regular schedule. Atypical day could be going to work at 7 am and staying until midnight to 1 am. The management in my department was Excellent.
I love working here, my first time in Silver bay went from processor to forklift to foreman to Mechanical Engineer.
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Naknek, AKOctober 18, 2018
Excellent place to work. Get to work with different nationalities and get to share cultures. Good food and awesome management crew. A lot of hours and good pay
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Missing your family's
Fast paced operation cooperative.cowworkers
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCOctober 11, 2018
A good place to start but no room for advancement. Good team environment. High quality products. Great customer base. Sundays were especially challenging.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Poor pay
Interesting place to work
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKSeptember 13, 2018
When working there I made friends with people from all over the country. The work Itself was not something to scoff at, but if you work hard and you show it they give you recognition, because they value hard workers, because they know they're the ones going places.
Overall the place was a great work environment with some amazing people at the helm.
Don't let the hard work scare you away. The people you meet, the beauty of the state, and the experience that you gain make it worth it.
TANK CREW LEAD (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKSeptember 13, 2018
First week and a half was slow. Try to see the town if you get the chance to journey there. After the first two weeks it was 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. Overtime will make the paycheck worth it.
Pros
Paid travel*, food, board, entertainment, laundry service, work experience.
Cons
Long hours.
Very busy work place
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCSeptember 5, 2018
I loved working at silver bay. Only thing is that the management were very dude but sometimes understanding. I loved the business because it was great money when you do the job right
hard work long hours
Herring Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKAugust 25, 2018
We worked 12 hour days in a cold concrete and tin warehouse. we were pushed hard to work as fast as possible. Meals were poorly made sometimes still cold.
Fast Pace,Result Driven,Goal Oriented,Awesome company
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKAugust 21, 2018
Working for Silverbay Seafoods was amazing. Hours worked daily were between 12 to 16hrs. The company is very goal oriented since the salmon season in alaska last around 4months, so as long as our fleet was able to find fish, our processing plants were running non-stop. There is a culture of family within each plant, as well as hardwork and teamwork. I learned most of my professional skills working for SIlverbay Seafoods, such as scheduling,attendance of over 300 people per shift,problem solving,multitasking and crew leading.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Very physical work and long hours
Just Say No
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCAugust 18, 2018
If you ever get the chance to get a job at silver bay seafood I would highly recommend you try it for a week, just for the experience. Everyone needs at least one horrible job experience that would be an opportunity to gain yours.
Cons
Short breaks
Challenging but Rewarding
Corporate Fleet Accountant/Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKAugust 2, 2018
One of the best companies in the industry. Still small enough to care about their people. I watched people go from working on the fish processing line to become senior managers at the company based soley on talent and work ethic.
Pros
Compensation and benefits. Good management.
Cons
Long hours during fishing season. Can be stressful.
very bad no even go you will die
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 24, 2018
very bad company don't go you will die no break, sometimes no lunch, long hours you will get sick and die for sure, so many people quit the job on the first week, and you have to leave with no money at all.
Cons
very bad some people quit on the first week to much is to much
Summary at silver bay
SEAFOOD PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKJuly 15, 2018
I love working at silver bay because it was a seasonal job, we go out in Alaska twice a year, we go 3 months in winter season and 6 months for summer season. Out there you meet different kinds of people from different cultures and background. I love to surround myself with different people, the is hard but with different energy you keep moving, we work 16hrs a day
It’s an okay place to work at
Server (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 26, 2018
They are good employees, but the work is way to hard. They only give you the shirt the rest you have to buy yourself. They take the cost of your shirt, name tag, and book out of your first pay check.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Work is to much for the pay
Quick Pace
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Naknek, AKJune 26, 2018
Long hours, good pay, free room and board, great food, many diverse cultures to work with. I enjoy the job as well as the people as they look forward to my help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Bay Seafoods. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about