Silver Bay Seafoods Employee Reviews

Challenging but Rewarding
Corporate Fleet Accountant/Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKAugust 2, 2018
One of the best companies in the industry. Still small enough to care about their people. I watched people go from working on the fish processing line to become senior managers at the company based soley on talent and work ethic.
Pros
Compensation and benefits. Good management.
Cons
Long hours during fishing season. Can be stressful.
very bad no even go you will die
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 24, 2018
very bad company don't go you will die no break, sometimes no lunch, long hours you will get sick and die for sure, so many people quit the job on the first week, and you have to leave with no money at all.
Cons
very bad some people quit on the first week to much is to much
Summary at silver bay
SEAFOOD PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKJuly 15, 2018
I love working at silver bay because it was a seasonal job, we go out in Alaska twice a year, we go 3 months in winter season and 6 months for summer season. Out there you meet different kinds of people from different cultures and background. I love to surround myself with different people, the is hard but with different energy you keep moving, we work 16hrs a day
It’s an okay place to work at
Server (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 26, 2018
They are good employees, but the work is way to hard. They only give you the shirt the rest you have to buy yourself. They take the cost of your shirt, name tag, and book out of your first pay check.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Work is to much for the pay
Once in a Life Time Experiance
FISH ROE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJune 7, 2018
Silver bay Seafoods is not a job i think anyone will like, the hours are long, pay is decent and your away from family for months at a time. I will say this thought, its an experience you will never forget.I meet some amazing friends, learned valuable life lessons and really appreciated my jobs after. If your young and want something new and exciting git it a try but it is not for the faint of heart.
Pros
Amazing Experience, Great Friends, Beautiful Location
Cons
Long Hours, Away from home
Productive work place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKApril 5, 2018
Long days sometimes nights. Nice summer job being by the ocean. The hardest part about the job was long hours and standing on your feet. Also very messy job
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Short breaks
Commercial Fisherman (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKMarch 28, 2018
It was a fun and memorable place couldn’t be better. Definitely will fish for them again if I go back into the fishing industry. Great people good company
Money is grate, 112 + hrs. Per week, lots of over time
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKMarch 6, 2018
Best seasonal job out there hands down. You will make a very good amount of money while your put there. Get to meet people from all over the world. Make life time friends while your out there.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snakes 24-7.
Cons
Your away from family about 2 months per season.
Amazing opportunity to become creative in your work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKFebruary 20, 2018
My relationship with SBS was a bit quirky, as I was also contracted as a commercial fisherman. The company is very flexible on work schedules after the first few weeks depending on the nature of your projects.

I was lucky to already be on the front lines of the industry so the work I did in the field only enhanced my ability to analyze and make sense of the catch data on the back end.

I would recommend to folks looking to gain vast exposure to a market that is in dire need of further analysts, data, tracking and information in order to sustain a healthy salmon and fish population moving forward.
Pros
$$$, flexibility, deep industry knowledge
Cons
Stressful environment, demanding, rapidly shifting needs, seasonal
Commercial fishing
COMMERCIAL FISHING DECKHAND (Former Employee) –  Bristol Bay, AKFebruary 4, 2018
Commercial fishing is a great experience and there is a lot of money to be made. Was just a part time deckhand there is nothing really to review about silverbay.
Pros
money
Cons
Lots of long hours
Silver Bay Seafoods
Deckhand (Near Fall), Head cook (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKFebruary 2, 2018
Great experience on a Salmon Boat. Long hard days but fun and exiting as well. Good hard work for hardworking people. Don't bring friends that don't know how to work hard.
trabajo duro
Empacadora (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJanuary 18, 2018
trabajo con largas horas de jornada y Poco Tiempo de descanso
long hours working with sick people
shipping supervisor (Former Employee) –  valdez alaskaJanuary 5, 2018
long hours, minium pay. people sick all the time. food however was decent at first. dirty dorms, housekeeping did there best, but understaffed. all about the profit for the company
High stress, exhausting environment.
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKDecember 27, 2017
Cold, wet, undesirable conditions. You will catch something they call "fish lung"--breathing in the cold wet air for sixteen hours a day will make you have a bad, raspy, musty cough. 16 hour work days, 7 days a week, no exceptions. Careless management, good supervisors. Free room and board, however the meals were very low in nutritional value. The dorms are very poor, some rooms have 6 people and all rooms are very hot. Very close walk to town, right by the water, absolutely stunning views. Only a couple months long--good, quick money. You can do anything for a couple months. They DO NOT provide couples housing unless you have proof of marriage!!!--They are strict about it.
Excelent job
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  AlaskaDecember 11, 2017
Very nice job is very hard but in the end very nice compensation and meet a lot people , if you want to make money is the right please to go but remember we are to work hard for the long hours
Pros
Need to work with the food
Cons
Very nice place for work in my on experience
Hard work
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKDecember 10, 2017
I worked for the company silver bay seafoods llc last year on the h2b visa. It was a good skill for me !!! accommodation and meals at the expense of the organization. enough working hours.
The hardest part of the job
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 22, 2017
The hardest part of the job for me was knowing whether or not I was going to get to work, and if work was going to come at all this last season. It was very stressful on my pocketbook; being so far away from everything- and having to start my life from scratch- it just didnt happen this time. However, I am hoping for a better turn out next year. Because the management is phenomenal.
Pros
Room and board, excellent management, accomodations
Cons
crowded bunk situation, hours of work vary according to mother nature, not management.
A lot of work
Loading Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 17, 2017
Very fast paced a lot of hours a lot of overtime. No personal time pretty much all sleep and work. If you haven't done this type of work before it's not for the faint-hearted
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Stressful long hours hard work
Very Hard Work
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKNovember 13, 2017
It's more of a mental challenge then anything because you are away from family for a couple months on a designated island. Your working for more than 10 hours a day and its the same thing everyday until the fishing season is over.
Work hard, get paid, simple equation
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKNovember 10, 2017
Not a job for snowflakes. Show up, work long and hard, get paid, go home. You are fed and housed so no rent or food bills. Don't be an idiot and spend your money on booze and other non-necessities. Keep your head down for 45 days, bank your cash, and go home with $10k.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Bay Seafoods. Our community is ready to answer.