Silver Bay Seafoods Culture reviews

Ratings breakdown
Summary at silver bay
SEAFOOD PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKJuly 15, 2018
I love working at silver bay because it was a seasonal job, we go out in Alaska twice a year, we go 3 months in winter season and 6 months for summer season. Out there you meet different kinds of people from different cultures and background. I love to surround myself with different people, the is hard but with different energy you keep moving, we work 16hrs a day
Commercial Fisherman (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKMarch 28, 2018
It was a fun and memorable place couldn’t be better. Definitely will fish for them again if I go back into the fishing industry. Great people good company
Great management, hard working team
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 9, 2017
It was a great experience to be a part of this company. Hard work is always appreciated. Team oriented. Very friendly management and team. As it is seasonal job - you have to work your hardest. Great company to be a part of.
a stressful environment
Loved talking To people
Wasn't paid enough
Stressful
Fun at some points
Very productive, environment workplace is just right.
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Metlaktla, AKJanuary 8, 2017
A typical day at work, is 12-18hour days. Fun and very productive environment. The coworkers and management make sure you are ready for work. Such as if you arent feeling good, or if there is some family problem you have to take care. Learned a little bit, (not much) mainly the price for fish and roe. For me the most enjoyable part was keeping busy in the roe room and helping them catch up a bit.
Pros
Free lunches
Productive and very multi-cultural workplace
tote dumper, forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKDecember 11, 2016
An average workday consisted of two, eight hour shifts. I was a tote dumper for one shift, and a forklift operator for my second shift. I learned how hard I am able to push myself and realized how much that I could accomplish. I got to meet people from all over the world, and learned a lot about some other cultures. The hardest part of the job was consistently being at work, and on time for seven days a week(16 hour days). The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to enjoy my surroundings in beautiful Alaska.
Pros
free room and board, living so close to work
Cons
short breaks, lack of free time
Highly productive and active workplace
Salmon Oil Processing - Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKDecember 5, 2016
Great compnay culture - lots of diversity. HR support is amazing - given the distance from home. I was offerd a truck and apartment off campus. Great people to work for in AK!
Pros
Meals and transportation
Cons
18-24 days - nature of the job
Hard Work pays off
Processer (Former Employee) –  Valdez AlaskaSeptember 24, 2014
The job was hard work but took time to get used to it.
Learned new methods of completing the job.
Met new people that were easy and fun to work with
Hard work with good pay
Processor (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKDecember 10, 2013
Long hours and hard work, but with a very competent and understanding management team. Met and still correspond with
many friends from Silver Bay. The hardest part of the job would have to be the repetitive nature of the work. On the plus side, I had an opportunity to save alot of money which has come in handy between contracts.
Pros
Good food, Great Managers
Cons
Standby time
Productive and Accurate
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKAugust 26, 2013
long day starts at 6:AM to 10:30 PM.I learned from this job that I can stand longtime of hours and be Hard worker.
My co-workers are polite and good. The hardest part of this job is the loud voices environment but the most enjoyable part is experience and learning new things.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short Breaks
Great folks to work with & *beautiful scenery* everywhere, too.
Plant Electrician (Day-shift) (Former Employee) –  Craig, AKMay 7, 2012
Interesting group of employees -- around June, mostly East European college students work there as processors, and there's a lot of them, with a few in management positions. Nice male/female residence facilities for those younger college-age people, & for the fulltime staff, too. Things can seem claustrophobic though during the full-on 24/7 processing weeks though because of all the people everywhere, & so room-sharing is part of the plan.
GREAT food though, and a lot of it. All living needs are right there at the plant -- food, laundry, wireless internet, satellite TV, etc, so no real need to go into town except for maybe a change of scenery or if you're a drinker, for Saturday night pub crawls.
The plant is a fairly new facility (about 4 yrs old as of 2012), and is only about a mile from the tiny hamlet town of Craig, which can be walked in 20 minutes or so. In Craig is a Wells-Fargo bank (it's the only bank in town but there's a small Alaska-based credit union there, too), 1 main grocery store, I think 3 or 4 bars around town, several churches of course to balance out the bars, lots of souvenir types of stores, a couple outdoors equipment-oriented stores, and a good-sized name-brand high quality outdoors-clothing store, too.
And of course, beautiful views, everywhere.
SBS Craig is a great place to work, meet new friends, save up some money since unless you're a hard partier, there's hardly anyplace to drop any really big bucks or the need to, since again, SBS Craig supplies all living needs & expenses, a big 3-meal chow hall/TV room that's open after hours for snacks & drinks,
  more... and several other amenities to make your stay there not at all unpleasant but rather, enjoyable & fun.  less
Pros
beautiful views, lots of work, interesting people from varied cultures, friendly fair and approachable management, every living expense is covered by the company.
Cons
pretty remote, not a place for the big-city-lover, taxis into town kind of expensive, the 2 craig grocery stores' prices very high.