Simply Self Storage Employee Reviews

The hours are great
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 27, 2018
The hours of operations are great. The pay is not fair. Management is all about numbers. They hire out sourced, rather than promoting with in. This company is all about having a yes person at their properties, rather than a person who takes control and proves their worth.
Terrible district manager
Property Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 22, 2018
When I joined this company i was promised advancement and a raise when a new property was bought i was told yes u can have it. only to find out they had no intention of giving me said property. The district manager never approves time off requests and makes you use vacation when you are out sick! Its truely aweful the way they treat the employees here. They will also go in and change your time cards so u dont get any overtime. I have never worked with a more dishonest company or under worse Management in my life. I do not recommend working for this company!!
Pros
Cons
Vacation, pay, managment
Fun place to work
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJJune 19, 2018
My only complaint about this company is that employees are underpaid but besided that it was very fun and competitive place to work at. There is room for growth here.
Poor Management
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILJune 11, 2018
I was the manager and when I filed multiple complaints on the person I was supervising nothing was ever done to correct their behavior, yet I was expected to follow all rules. Very unfair.
gg (Former Employee) –  ggJune 6, 2018
I believe that Simply Self Storage could use a better management team. I know that there is favoritism within the company and very poor customer service. I know that they have really good employees that are treated unfairly.
Pros
relaxing
Cons
stressfull
Growing company, great culture!
Director, Brand and Marketing Operations (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 29, 2018
Simply Self Storage is an amazing place to work. Employees are driven, passionate for what they do, and have fun while doing it. The company is innovative and nimble and you are truly able to impact the organization.
Pros
Great culture, exciting growth
Company does not care for it's employees or customers
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 24, 2018
I worked for Simply for over a year, at first it was great then it became high school. With districts having around 20 people give or take the employees like to gossip behind everyones back. I was owed a raise that was promised and owed to me for over 6 months. HR never returns calls or emails and do not seem to express concern in employee issues. Corporate has started micromanaging and adding longer lists of responsibilities to the managers without increasing pay or even appreciating the extra work they expect from you. They do not handle customer issues well and hide behind the managers to do everything. This is not a company with good standards or morals.
Pros
Some flexibility in schedule
Cons
Work 6 days a week with no overtime, management, pay
Good company to work for overall.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  WIMay 14, 2018
Simply is a good company to work for overall. The job is pretty laid back although it can also be rewarding when you do well within the company. Management team in my distict has been nothing short of great. Corporate level is a little out of the loop on the local operations, although they are still better than other corporate teams I have worked for in the past. There is a structure to doing your job and when you realize it success is present. However if you are unaware or fail to pick up the nuances, your success becomes harder to reach.

A few negatives to the job would include the pay. Looking up average salaries in your area may shock you compared with what you make working at Simply. As well if you're an educated individual you will be putting in an honest days work fixing stuff on your property. Nothing wrong with it do not get me wrong, however not the reason why one went to school. The other thing besides of course having to deal with rude or indifferent tenets that will have you feeling a certain way is the rates they charge for their storage spaces. Months on end we were charging three times the rate for a specfic unit we had few of compared to a local competitor. Mostly no one paid this outragous rate and the few that did one had to feel some remorse for their lack of research.

Otherwise, as I alluded they are a good company. Care for their employees more than other companies in which I have worked. A lot of us do actually enjoy the job and help the tenants where we can.
Decent at Best
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMay 9, 2018
No communication between managements, don't get paid enough for the amount of work you do. It is a great learning experience, though. You get a lot of experience in a lot of important aspects for other potential jobs,
Cons
Short lunch, not enough hours
Nice Company to work for
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 29, 2018
A typical day is you get there clock in and do your delinquents and male sure that no one move out sometime during the night . Make your morning run making sure the grounds are okay and the units. Take your deposit to the bank. Depending on the time of the month you have to get auction ready for people that don't pay.
Pros
Free storage space
Cons
You always on call
great place to work
PROPERTY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 14, 2018
The days are varied, but helping customers to make their move easier is a rewarding job. You rent units, sell merchandise and walk on the property every day to insure all units are locked correctly and not tampered with
Low Pay and Dishonest Company That Takes Advantage of Employees and Community.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 17, 2018
This company will tell you anything to get you in the door to work for them. They only need bodies to fill the chair, that dont care much what your experience is. They will promise you a raise after your entry period then if anything, only give you a 5 cent raise. This company has a super high turnover. The only people that stay are ones that are lazy and cant find another job. This is the most boring job you will ever find and you have to deal with upset tenants all the time because they either have leaks in there units, mice problems, mold, or there monthly rent keeps going up. You have no control over your store and new ideas get shut down. You work most holidays and weekends, including Sundays. This is not a family oriented company. They try real hard to rope you in and say they are growing and big things are happening...but this is not true. There are lots of rumors that get spread of people quitting, getting fired, and so on. The people that hang around this company just gossip because, I guess there isnt much to do. You are either super busy or super dead. There is no in between at this job. And again, they dont pay much because they dont care if you quit. They know they can make promises to the next employee and keep them around for 6-12 months and then start the cycle over again. The benefits are horrible too. If you have a family your better off working at a fast food restaurant for better pay and benefits.
Cons
Pay, benefits, work culture, work schedule, etc..
I enjoy my job
Associate (Current Employee) –  MidwestJanuary 19, 2018
No complaints. I've worked here awhile so obviously I still like it. I've read some of the reviews and have not experienced what the negative commenters have. (Bitter... party of one) Some people are just not the right fit for customer service jobs. One of the best things about this job is that there's always something to do and the tasks change daily depending on what part of the month we're in. It keeps it interesting.
Pros
customers, other staff, different tasks during the month, stays interesting
Cons
open on Sunday
Friendly, Supportive, Great Job!
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MNJanuary 19, 2018
I have only been with the company for a short time, however it has been a wonderful opportunity. Very open environment, Helpful co-workers especially in the learning process. Each day there is something new to do. Not over worked, but I also don't have to worry about twiddling my thumbs. There is a very nice balance. Most the work is done at your own pace in a timely manner. Although most days you are working by yourself, all the locations in the area do a very nice job at staying connected. Plus you do get the customer interaction. Not only is the upper management team very helpful and understanding. So are the other managers at other locations. The hardest part about working here is when you first start getting your own routine down that works for the property that your located. One of the best parts about the job is the flexibility, That certain things can be adjusted throughout each day to accommodate both the tenants and your work load. I do really enjoy working here. It has been a great opportunity for me and I am really appreciative of the support. I plan to be around for a while! Maybe we will meet someday :)
Pros
Flexibility, Atmosphere, Team orientated even though working location by yourself.
Cons
The days that there is not as much to do you get the lazy feeling.
Great job and meet new people daily
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GADecember 20, 2017
This is one of the best jobs I have ever had. The other managers are great and help each other on a daily basis. The district manager is very helpful in making decisions and listens to reason as he seems to respect our opinion.
Pros
Holidays and paid vacations off
Cons
wish we were closed on Sundays
Mostly clerical
Manager (Former Employee) –  MidwestDecember 20, 2017
Follow up on reservations, walk-ins, sales/move-ins, accept payments, janitorial work, fix account problems, make collection calls, make more collection calls for delinquent tenants, schedule auctions, move-outs. Explaining the frequent rental rate hikes gets awkward. Some days very slow, some very fast - unpredictable. Sales and phone calls are very scripted.
Pros
close at 6pm, connections with people
Cons
busy work, low support from management, incompetent coworkers
Very poor workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 13, 2017
Worst place to work. Lazy employees and lazy management. Pushy sales tactics sell to customers despite their needs. No refunds given. Bad mouthing done by management about customers and staf
Pros
Cons
All of the above
Not a Bad Job if you like a challenge
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLNovember 26, 2017
I love my Job, It's a challenge at times but I do like that. You must like to work on your own with out supervision and be able to govern yourself and make sure your job is done correct. You do have to do this sometime with out a lot help from your manager so you must be a problem solver and independent.There maybe times that you are the only person in the store working so also be prepared for that as well. the training has been updated from when I went through and is better.but soak up as much as you can AND TAKE NOTES! It's not a hard job unless you make it that. Go in with a positive attitude and it will be what you make it.
Pros
great DISTRICT Manager
Cons
Hiring format, Budget constraint
Better off flipping burgers
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Redford, MIOctober 9, 2017
The hours are horrible, by the time you get off the day is over. No time to do anything when you get off. The pay is so low (especially as compared to their competitors) and schedule is so inconsistent it makes finding a part time job, volunteering, getting involved in hobbies, or even significantly being there for your kids nearly impossible. The DM is always putting out ridiculous tasks when there are so many other important things to take care of. Additionally, they dumb things down so much, there is almost room for independent thinking or judgement, that you might as well be flipping burgers!
Pros
Cheap health insurance
Cons
Lowest pay in the industry and no place for intelligent people.
Easy quit place
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 8, 2017
I still work in okc and I love my job. It can be stressful like any job but the other managers work well together and the DM is there to help when he can. I would so recommend this job
Pros
Great job
Cons
Non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simply Self Storage. Our community is ready to answer.