Simpson Strong-Tie Employee Reviews

Great company, great people
SENIOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 15, 2018
Great company, great people. Watch Barclay's nine principles of doing business. "1. Keep the customers in mind, 2, view is for the long term, not short term gains, ..."
Pros
People
Strong Culture
Sr. Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAOctober 9, 2018
Simpson has a strong culture that can be an issue for people who are not used to dealing with large companies. If you need to deal with many different people in many different organizations within the company you may have a problem. If you get a position where there is little cross organization, you 'll do fine.
Pros
good work life ballence
Cons
You may have to travel a lot.
Inviting company culture and everyone is eager to help at all levels of the organization.
Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 8, 2018
Well established company with an extremely low turn-over rate (extremely low). A simplified, but effective approach to warehousing. Like minded with the approach to operations meetings were they take place out on the warehouse floor, rather than in a formal environment in a conference room off the warehouse floor.

Although Simpson has a well developed operations environment, resources have limited exposure to critical thinking models and sustainable performance solution methods which may prove to be useful to respond timely in dynamic situations.
Pros
Well established, inviting and mature environment
Cons
None really, true operations at any company is dynamic, challenging, and to some degree has unforeseen highs/lows.
Simpson as good products but lacks good management leadership.
Other (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 2, 2018
Simpson as good products but lacks good management leadership.
Recent SAP implementation was a disaster. Acquisitions have lost money due to inadequate due diligence.
Overall Great Company
Territory Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 29, 2018
SST is a great company to work for. They provide many learning opportunities to help advance in your career. The territories they provide can be quite large, so be prepared for overnight travel.
Pros
Great Benefits, Compensation, Travel Schedules
Cons
Advancement is slow, due to longevity of current filled positions
Great Company
Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 21, 2018
Benefits are amazing
They care for employees
Good sound business
They care about customers
Some management could use work most are good though
Good working culture
Very friendly environment.
Summer IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 28, 2018
Everyone was extremely friendly and wanted everyone to succeed. Environment was not stressful. Shuffling of upper management caused issues that were rarely heard from for lower level employees, but caused a lot of tension.
Pros
Very nice employees.
Cons
Issues in upper management
Has been a great company for many years, but the current management is scrambling to make up for unsuccessful initiatives
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 19, 2018
It has been a great company for a long time, but the current management is lost. The CEO and her senior team don't seem to be able to buy a win. The CEO, COO, CFO and President of Sales are all internal hires and none of them had any direct experience for the jobs they have held for the last several years. That means they are figuring it out, making poor decisions and making mistakes (that cost millions of dollars).

Fortunately overall the company is doing great, but there are some areas of business that our current management decided to enter that are not doing well and the CEO is under fire. She talks about preserving the culture, but in the end she wants the culture to be whatever helps her reach her goals.

Lot's of 20+ year people have been laid off or fired in the last couple of years with no recognition of their service. In the past this would have never happened, but the heart and soul is leaving this place. It seems like they want to get rid of the veterans because the new people cost less and accept whatever upper management tells them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Ineffective senior leadership
great work place
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 7, 2018
people in the customer service department where wonderful to work with. Very friendly, supportive group of co- workers. Management was supportive and willing to go above and beyond what you needed help with
Professional and rewarding
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CA, AZ,N.M., HI. Las VegasMarch 27, 2018
The best job I ever had. I learned about sales and the Building Industry. Simpson gave me all the tools I needed to have a successful career.
I was the happiest when I was walking jobsites and helping end-users understand the products.
You can not go wrong with this company.
Pros
Training, teamwork, pay and benefits
Cons
Went public and the culture changed
Management and Union are Non-Responsive to employee probelms
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 23, 2018
This company was founded by great man who created nine principles of Business to explain his philosophy on what makes a company successful. I studied these principles on the company web site before my first interview and decided that this will be my very last job which I planned to work until retirement.
Principle "five" states "Everyone in a company is important, Everybody. That's absolutely crucial and so you must do everything you can to make people feel they're valued. Our company culture says that everyone gets recognized for their contribution, no matter what the role. There are no big shots, no parking places. It's always been first names. Nobody's Mr. or Ms. You're addressed by your first name-- we're all working together toward the same goal. We rely on each other to be successful, we show each other respect.
It’s extremely unfortunate that a majority of the people that shared the founders visions who were with the company when I was hired are no longer with the company and either retired, resigned or were terminated. Simpson Strong-Tie has transformed into a typical corporate America company concentrating on profits and ignoring common sense fair treatment of ALL its employees. Insurance Companies and Attorneys principles seem to be the guiding force casting a dark cloud over the founder’s wonderful but deteriorating legacy.
Pros
Founders "Nine, Principles of Business", Healthcare
Cons
Autocratic leadership, Union Ideology and a Team enviroment is nonexistent, Biased and inconsistent treatment, Cronyism prevails
Best work experience I've ever had, but with a caveat...
R&D Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMarch 8, 2018
A typical day at work was pretty relaxed for me. I was generally able to set my own schedule during the day and choose what to work on. I was able to learn about a new industry (for me) and about different metrology skills and 3D printing. Overall, the management team in the corporation seemed competent, ethical, and balanced. The workplace culture, especially the target (stated) culture, is second to none in my opinion. (See Barclay Simpson's 9 Principles of Doing Business.) The most enjoyable part of my job was the team aspect of product development.

The hardest part of my job was communicating with the individuals who didn't necessarily live up to the stated principles or standards of the company on a consistent basis. Of course, those types of people are not unique to Simpson any way.

When I went through orientation in 2010, Simpson was touted as a career rather than a job, meaning that they hired for the long-term. They didn't view themselves as the next hop in a career of hopping. Those were slow economic times. Now, in times when the company is doing very well and my division is doing better than most of the others, and after hiring two new engineers in the last three years, my position was eliminated out of the blue. While they are well within their rights to do this, I believe it is a symptom of a change in the culture following the death of the founder, Barc Simpson. It will be interesting to see how the company changes moving forward.
Pros
Relaxed environment, product development is a team activity, committed to investing in technology and innovation
Cons
culture seems to be changing, the jury is out on whether it's for the better
Productive workplace
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 7, 2018
Simpson is a very fast paced work environment with great management . They have a great culture and great benefits . Working with Simpson I learned a lot of the manufacturing industries
Pros
Great Benefits, and Flexibility
Cons
Pay, Healthcare
Great place, depending on the department
Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJanuary 23, 2018
I would highly recommend anyone work there, but I would avoid the purchasing department. The sales team is especially nice, as are everyone, really. And there's lots of free coffee.
Excellent employer
R&D Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2017
Top-tier benefits, excellent work-life balance. Base compensation was low but bonuses could be very large to make up. Limited advancement opportunities.
Automatic Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 17, 2017
Good place to work. Fast pace and time goes by really fast. Pay isn't all that great but room for advancement.. good leaders that are always willing to help..
Amazing Culture and Endless Opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 13, 2017
Being at Simpson Strong-Tie for over 14 years, I can easily say that there are endless opportunities for anyone who wants it. Regardless of where you start or what skills and experience you may have there are always chances for advancement and development. Internal training and mentorship is a constant and external training is always open to anyone. There is a teamwork atmosphere like mine I've experienced at any other company. Everyone has a common goal of exceeding customers expectations and a servant mentality. With the common goal, everyone across departments and even across branches around the world are excited to help with whatever is necessary to make it happen. Management is in a constant state of development and growth; always trying to learn. Succession planning is a focus and performance management helps give management and employees the tools to grow. The culture is fun and inclusive regardless or title or department. Many employees hang out often and have become great friends outside of work. Many customers and employees have become great friends also. Incredible benefits include vacation and sick pay, tuition reimbursement, AMAZING medical, dental, vision, chiropractic programs, wellness program where positive health and lifestyle choices are encouraged, discounts, great work/life balance, and so much more. People rarely leave the company because of the culture and ever-changing possibilities. I can't recommend Simpson enough for anyone who wants to be excited to go to work each day, make great products, and have fun in your career.
Pros
No Equal Culture, Great Benefits, Company Profit Sharing, Learning is encourages, Creativity, Wellness Program, Gym, Fun Family Atmosphere, Endless Development Opportunities, Coffee Bar
Cons
Sometimes change can be hard for some but welcome for others, sometimes there is too much free food
Pays awesome, but management is inexperienced and unreasonable
Training Administrator (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 10, 2017
Best thing I ever did was quit last month. Manager was new to their job, didn't know how to support their team total of 1 employee. Position was understaffed. Highly-stressful position. Don't do it!!!! Loved the company itself but stay away from the Literature/Training Department. You'll save yourself blood, sweat and tears.
Pros
Good pay & benefits
Cons
Understaffed, terrible management
Official response from Simpson Strong-Tie
September 25, 2017

Thank you for the candid feedback. We appreciate you affirming our great pay, benefits and company.

On your comments regarding the department manager and workload – we are always looking for ways to improve. We will certainly look into this to see if there is an opportunity for us to provide more support and come alongside the manager to help make the workload more balanced. Leadership is an area we’ve been giving a lot of focus as a company. Demonstrating leadership can be challenging, at times, especially when we try so hard to meet our customers’ needs. Both are important, nonetheless.

Thanks again for your feedback. You’re welcome to reach out to any of our leaders or human resources team members if you’d like to provide more specific information or any other feedback.

-Simpson Strong-Tie Representative

Good working experience
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  West Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Good place to get an educating understanding of current industrial trends and working experience in the structural repair industries. Challenging, rewarding environment.
Pros
up to date on current technology.
Cons
accessive layers of management.
Poor workplace with bad management.
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2017
Cleaned up as per usual, harassed by co-workers for not engaging in conversations.

People often slacked off at work and refused to do anything outside of their division.

No one cleaned up after themselves, trash on their floor in their departments, bathrooms all messy, don't flush toilets.

Management often ignored complaints, there was only one competent manager who was often belittled by higher management for trying to change things for the better for the employees.

Hardest part of the job was ignoring ignorant co-workers who had nothing better to do than say things to you without reason.

Easiest part of the job was the routine, it was very similar day by day, with a few exceptions.

I enjoyed my job and felt I got paid properly, but poor management and the refusal to talk to other employees who brought drugs to work, alcohol and quite honestly harassed other employees on a day by day basis made me severely dislike the job.
Pros
Nice office.
Cons
Bad co-workers and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simpson Strong-Tie. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

4.1Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight