Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews

Secure Job with plenty of resources to improve your skills
News Designer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 3, 2018
Working at Sinclair provides good benefits and a great deal of opportunity and resources to improve your skills. Work can occasionally be slow due to company size and the fact that employees are spread across the country, but good communication does seem to be maintained fairly consistently.
Don't work here
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 1, 2018
Terrible work environment and company culture. I would not recommend pursuing a job here if you have any other options available. Mismanagement and disorganization to say the least.
Great People and Fun work.
Master Control Technician/Promotions editor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 30, 2018
Great place to work due to the wonderful people and a great environment o work in. Willing to have you to have you train in other departments in order to better your skills and work on promotions. Wonderful and kind coworkers that help you push your abilities to the best they can be. Overall a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Parking
Worst job I ever had
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDSeptember 26, 2018
The company is owned by greedy snobs. No chance at promotion.

I worked master control and had to be in the terminal room during the super bowl. While sales and executives made bank on the ads I made sure aired all I got was super sick from an unhealthy work environment.
Pros
Cons
Management, owneeship, segregation
Sinclair Broadcasting Group is everything that is bad about corp. America today
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 19, 2018
First of all, this company is cut throat. They do not offer compensation that is even close to the national averages for professionals. Honestly, I was shocked to learn that they offer about one half of what other firms offer with only basic benefits. Management are a lot of complete douchers that don't have the slightest clue as to what leadership means.

For example, if they offer you 50K for a position that should be 100K, just tell them to F off.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Pay, Management, Facilities, Benefits, Work-Life Balance
They don't know how it works
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 10, 2018
Management has no idea how a tv station actually works. I had to quite after getting called to the office for doing my job exactly the way I was trained to do it, for the 1,000,000,000 time.
terrible place - no advancement and hostile environment
senior motion designer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 3, 2018
management is horrible.
no advancement whatsoever .
last review i read here was correct. there is workplace bullying.
pay is horrible. Sinclair is the worst , too stingy .
stay away from this place unless you are desperate for a job.
Pros
not sure what the pros are really
Cons
management, pay, career advancement
Good place to Work
Employee (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 1, 2018
Busy office environment,,,,,,,,,,,, Lots of good people there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good Human Resources team.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The company does a good job staying ahead of the curve and generally being more imaginative than their peers.
You're Better Off Somewhere Else
Producer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 4, 2018
Unless you're a "yes man" paper-pushing manager looking for a job with Sinclair, my advice is to stay clear of this company. The only people who get ahead are those who buddy up to management. I've watched people get supervisor positions not based on their qualifications but being a good butt kisser. Then they were demoted because they couldn't handle the job. Those who are hard workers, get worked to death and instead of allowing you the OT compensation you worked for, they rather you leave early. The only good things I can say about this company is that I thought my compensation was fair, and the majority of the people I worked with were great. It's a shame that many of them are leaving to seek employment elsewhere because management is so bad and they're being overworked and underappreciated. They don't fix anything, just patch it up and expect employees to work miracles with broken equipment. There's no accountability. The people who make the work environment stressful and slack off are the ones that never get disciplined. But as soon as someone who comes to work on time, do what they're supposed to do, does so much as to misspell a super, you're berated and in front of people. Unless you like working in this type of environment, it's not worth it.
Pros
Decent wages and benefits
Big Brother
Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 3, 2018
Corporate is very involved in the station activity, even though they don't know the day to day activities that are associated with the work. They see the revenue and are very tight when it comes to giving the profits of their success back to the employees. They are concerned with growth and don't take time to prepare and train their employees adequately for it. You are going to have to figure out a lot by yourself, and find out who to go to for what you need. They expect employees to have a workload that is not always adequate for the employees' success.
Pros
Ability to transfer to other locations
Cons
Too big to have a connection with all employees
Do not recommend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 2, 2018
Depending on which team you join, you may have some really nice co-workers. I had some good colleagues that I would love to work with again.
Someone once asked me why would I associate with a corporation with such negative reputation. If you didn't know about the negative publicity, do a search. Before you join this organization, make sure you are okay with the values this organization has.
Every month I heard a colleague or two left the organization. Some of the reasons were low pay, no growth opportunity, disagreement with management, burned out.
Frequent emergencies caused key individuals to drop everything and worked on the emergencies, sometimes during off business hours.
Different stakeholders had different demands, which increased difficulty to move an initiative forward. Many middle management were resistant to change. Combine this with bureaucratic processes and bad practices, projects were delayed for weeks to months.
Pros
Some coworkers (even though they are leaving quickly)
Cons
High attrition rate, Low PTO, Toxic Culture, Resistant to change, Politics
Digital sales manager
Digital sales manger (Former Employee) –  Upstate NYAugust 1, 2018
Great coporate team and culture, unfortunately the same doesn’t happen at the local level. local management is short tempered and really doesn’t support digital goals.
Pros
Decent bonus structure
Cons
Local management
Propoganda-Filled Corporation
Morning Producer (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJuly 11, 2018
They have required segments with a political bent. I quit after they required local anchors to read a script bashing other news outlets. Don't work for their stations.
Great people to work with
News Anchor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 11, 2018
Everyone was really easy to work with. The people are the best part of the job. The hardest part was the early morning hours. But over all, a fun place to work.
Deceptive...don't be fooled
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 13, 2018
Close minded management who only micromanages. I'd rather grift on the side of the road than work here again. They gave a different impression of the work environment at the start.
Pros
A lesson learned
Cons
Micromanaging, close minded
Big company feel, small company opportunities
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHJune 10, 2018
My job itself is wonderful. I work with friendly, hardworking individuals in a position that isn’t so demanding as to weigh on me outside of the office. The Management structure, however, allows for very little room to progress or advance.
Great culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 11, 2018
The people make Sinclair a great place to work. The compensation & benefits are on the lower end of the spectrum (at least in the technology sector).
Don't waste your time with this place
News Photographer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 5, 2018
Management is very poor in making decisions. Terrible communication throughout the entire station. Many reporters were never written up for doing things that is against company policy. Many reporters and other people got away with too many things and the station is poorly ran. You're better off working with Fox6 WBRC (which is #1 in Birmingham).
Pros
It was nice to not be in the newsroom constantly.
Cons
No breaks, always going to sketchy neighborhoods for no reason. News Director is arrogant, obnoxious, and chooses favorites.
Learn your craft and move on
Promotions Editor (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDApril 29, 2018
Sinclair offers the chances for you to branch out and learn your path. However if you are in production/news, the compensation is not competitive and unless you are creating any sort of financial ripples in the company, your actions & contributions will go unnoticed.
It's great to learn your craft, but once you are competent, move to better opportunities.
Sinclair Reivew
Camera Operator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2018
I work at Sinclair as a camera operator. I get up at 2:30am for a minimum wage job. Why? Because nothing worth having ever comes easy. I will work as hard as I can to get promoted to Creative Services.
Pros
Plenty of room for advancement
Cons
4am call time. That sucks.