Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews

Valuable Experience
National Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
My time at Sinclair has equipped me with valuable insight and exposure into the inner workings of broadcasting. Everyone has been extremely helpful during my training.
Sinclair Digital is a hostile workplace, stay away from this employer
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 2, 2019
This is a place where protected employees are allow to abuse other employees.

This is a workplace violence incident waiting to happen due to the local management ignoring these enabled abusive employees

After repeated reporting to HR of abusive employee, nothing was done.
More Advancement
Digital Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 22, 2019
The company needs more advancement not just the ability to move around. There needs to be more upward mobility. The management isn't great in certain offices. Management needs to be held accountable especially when there are multiple complaints.
Learned Many Things
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAJanuary 21, 2019
It was a 20 hour week no more no less. The atmosphere most of the time was very fast paced. A good place to learn the ropes but then move on immediately.
Pros
Close to Starbucks
Cons
20 hour work week, Work Holidays
I felt undervalued and under paid.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau County, MOJanuary 18, 2019
I just felt as thought my being employed there was never going to amount to anything more than what it was when first hired. I felt I had earned more consideration for advancement that I was getting.
Great entry level positions, poor long term opportunities or career development/growth
Sales (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 16, 2019
I took a slight pay cut coming to Sinclair because I was sold on the idea that there was opportunity for growth and advancement and I regret it. They will tell you what ever you want to hear to get you in the position they want you in. Once your there good luck getting out. When I first started there was no kind of training you had to figure most things out for yourself. In my interview I was sold on the fact that they had tons of opportunity to advance and they offered tuition reimbursement. There were never many opportunities to move up and when there were two I was passed up and two outside people were brought in, but I was expected to help show them everything that they didn't know. This is the type of place that will make you resent your job and make it hard to want to get up and go in. Also, Sinclair should not be allowed to advertise that they offer tuition reimbursement when everyone I know who has applied for it has been denied including myself even though the degree was to help further our careers with Sinclair. Out of all my employment experiences Sinclair does not care about their employees. They treat employees unfair. I was told that I could not come in a half hour early and leave a half hour early on the days I had class, but another employee was allowed to leave an hour early because they had a second job as a bartender. Like really I am going to school to better myself and learn more about the industry and I can't leave a half hour early, but someone leaving to go bar-tend for another establishment can leave an hour early 3 days a week. Management is a joke  more... and work what ever hours they would like. While they are never there on time or constantly leaving early for personal reasons, they expect you to follow a precise 8 to 5 schedule. If your applying for a position and it's what you want to do for the next 20 years than go for it. I would not stay at a company that likes to keep their employees in entry level positions. I know people who have been there for over 20 years and they are still in entry level positions and most hate their job and complain, but they stay because they believe they are too old or fear starting over somewhere else. They started there before it was Sinclair, they said when Sinclair took over there were changes that they didn't like. I don't see how a company can say that the care about the community when they don;t even care about their employee's. The let go there community outreach person and did away with the position. They want to look like they care but they don't.  less
Pros
You can watch TV at your desk
Cons
No advancement, No employee Morale, Unfair treatment
Aweful Company/ Aweful Leadership
Digital Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 9, 2019
Let me start with zero training, zero recognition for performance, zero respect from management, and zero concern for a corporate-wide hostile culture. The stockholders should be hammering the top level executives for the horrendous reviews that their own employees are posting. My coworkers are over worked and under appreciated. This atmosphere took my positive spirit away, by leading with fear! I could go on and on, but I have never been treated this horribly as a top employee. It is simple, invest in your buildings, people and treat them like professionals!
Pros
Warning signs where the asbestos is in the building
Cons
Abusive management, hostile work environment, poor leadership, depressed and stressed employees.
Large Company with Advancement Opportunities
PRODUCER (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 9, 2019
Sinclair Broadcast Group runs a large news corporation, operating stations around the country. The group offers a strong network of different stations, news contacts, and opportunities for advancement. It also employs a large body of experienced and talented journalists. Negatives aspects of the company include - salaries, long hours, and tight work contracts. It also tends to encourage partisan reporting by forcing local market stations to air nationally produced content. The news packages are sometimes politically biased, or focused on content that is not relevant to local viewers.
Stay clear from this place !!!!
Senior Animator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 3, 2019
Take heed and read these warnings before you ever decide to work with these people ! You will be wasting your career and time . ALready they have been trying to find a replacement for my job after i quit ( i resigned twice !!! ) and its been 6 months so far with no luck for them to find anyone ! This is a sign for you to defintely look elsewhere ! WORST WORK ENVIRONMENT EVER !!!!
Pros
free coffee ?!? cant think of anything else ??
Cons
EVerything !
Great workplace environment
Copy Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 17, 2018
The workplace culture is great and they love to see their employees happy. If you are willing to put in the work to learn new things outside of your job description many doors will open for you. My only negative is that the support positions do not pay well enough.
Really seem to care about its employees
Videographer and Editor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 11, 2018
Really like this company. They offer a lot more options and some good perks. I love that I can talk to any manager and my concerns and opinions are respected and valued. I can honestly say this is the best company I’ve ever worked for.
Pros
Options for holidays, flexible, high levels of trust
Cons
The business as a whole, Not sinclair, Is deteriorating
Good company to work for.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 6, 2018
Lots of good memories working for this company. Good work environment. Made lots of friends. They were very supportive of me, and I really appreciate it.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
well managed opportunities very good to move with in the company
Master Control Supervisor, WRLH (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 25, 2018
I have worked in all aspects of Engineering and other departments such as Promotions, Production, Programmings and Sales allowed me to participate to learn what their duties are I really enjoyed that.
Pros
Opportunity to advance
Cons
very detailed HR involvement with little knowledge of all departments which csused morale issue.
No Opportunity
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 18, 2018
I've worked here for over a year, and I've been denied raises, advancement opportunities, and more hours - even though my yearly review stated I was above standard. They don't recognize hard work, and it's unfortunate.
Very Disappointed
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 18, 2018
I was hired as a contract employee and after my 3 months was up, was given a year-long contract extension. However, two months later I found out my position was being eliminated by way of a Facebook post. Management didn't even have the courtesy to tell me until a week later when I was given a phone call and was told that they were "restructuring" and was going to release me from my contract. Then the very next week, I see an ad posted on indeed.com for the very same position. This station's management obviously has no problem cutting your throat and then lie about it to your face. No respect, no decency, I would advise steering clear of this company.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, poor pay
Time off is limited
Media (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2018
Time off is limited. Company does not provide or promote a work/life balance, like other companies. No Summer Fridays company wide, which is a great incentive.
Pros
salary/compensation
Cons
limited time off/no work life/balance
Great entry level positions, poor long term oppurtunities or career development/growth
Designer (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDNovember 5, 2018
Specifically, I worked apart of their digital marketing branch, Compulse Integrated Marketing.

It's a great opportunity if you're coming out of college looking to get your start in the digital marketing world. The compensation is fair for entry-level if you have little professional experience but for anyone moving from another digital agency, this company is not worth your attention unless you are financially desperate.

Little income gain benefits (No pay increases unless they're severely desperate to keep you on a hard to fill position), no bonuses (Other than the 1.5% annual income gain) or promotion opportunities, (Company growth is horizontal, not lateral and they do not promote from within. They will tell you otherwise to win you over in the interview process like every other company does though), long hours usually leading into overtime with no additional compensation (Burnout is incredibly high and visible in every department around you) and there is no concrete provided education/career building opportunities (It's expected you should just do so on your own time at home) and can sometimes feel like a digital products and services sweatshop.

Over time you will realize your skills and habits developed through Compulse Integrated Marketing will make you unmarketable because they are clearly behind with industry standards in every area, across all branches.

The culture of Compulse Integrated Marketing is also a little toxic. This is due to the overall culture of Sinclair Broadcasting Group, it's parent company, trickling down as well as the general low self-esteem
  more... levels among many of its employees. I don't blame management for the direct issues, but they do very little to assuage the concerns or developing stresses of their workers.

I enjoyed my time spent there but it was mostly due to the age group of the employees I worked alongside. All being of the millennial generation, there was a sense of comradery amidst the struggles and general disappointment working there. Though on the reverse end, I will also admit the community can often remind you more of a high school than a professional workspace due to the clique-like nature of its employees. Maybe this is because they are millennials but that's a hopeful assumption that they'll grow out of it and that it's not just their generation.
Pros
Low entry barrier to get your digital career start
Cons
Many... I recommend reading my review in full
Industry Leading Company with Individual Value
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 30, 2018
I was a Regional Digital manager responsible for covering a massive geographical territory. Our team was solid and passionate...all rowing toward the same destination.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Time Spent on the Road
Upper level dirty politics
Senior UX Developer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 26, 2018
It can be a a hostile environment but the developers have a great chemistry working together. Upper management lacks the experience to effectively manage the company
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Very fast paced environment which can be very noisy
Unethical workplace
anonymous (Current Employee) –  anonymousOctober 25, 2018
SBG lives up to it's reputation in news media. Corporate managers lie to local managers. One arm of the company has no clue what the other is doing. The entire business is solely sales driven. You will be expected to work entrepreneur hours at the cost of your family. Unhealthy hours.

They have a mission statement, values and vision. They do not follow these principals. Barebones staff and doing just enough is the true vision and culture.

The only way you will receive a raise is to go get a job offer and negotiate. It is true they operate at below market wages.

Stay away
Pros
Benefits Package is nice because it is a big company
Cons
Low pay, Unethical Practices, Doesn't live up to its own mission statement, Unhealthy hours