Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews

Good company to work for.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 6, 2018
Lots of good memories working for this company. Good work environment. Made lots of friends. They were very supportive of me, and I really appreciate it.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
well managed opportunities very good to move with in the company
Master Control Supervisor, WRLH (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 25, 2018
I have worked in all aspects of Engineering and other departments such as Promotions, Production, Programmings and Sales allowed me to participate to learn what their duties are I really enjoyed that.
Pros
Opportunity to advance
Cons
very detailed HR involvement with little knowledge of all departments which csused morale issue.
Very Disappointed
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 18, 2018
I was hired as a contract employee and after my 3 months was up, was given a year-long contract extension. However, two months later I found out my position was being eliminated by way of a Facebook post. Management didn't even have the courtesy to tell me until a week later when I was given a phone call and was told that they were "restructuring" and was going to release me from my contract. Then the very next week, I see an ad posted on indeed.com for the very same position. This station's management obviously has no problem cutting your throat and then lie about it to your face. No respect, no decency, I would advise steering clear of this company.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management, poor pay
Time off is limited
Media (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2018
Time off is limited. Company does not provide or promote a work/life balance, like other companies. No Summer Fridays company wide, which is a great incentive.
Pros
salary/compensation
Cons
limited time off/no work life/balance
Great entry level positions, poor long term oppurtunities or career development/growth
Designer (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDNovember 5, 2018
Specifically, I worked apart of their digital marketing branch, Compulse Integrated Marketing.

It's a great opportunity if you're coming out of college looking to get your start in the digital marketing world. The compensation is fair for entry-level if you have little professional experience but for anyone moving from another digital agency, this company is not worth your attention unless you are financially desperate.

Little income gain benefits (No pay increases unless they're severely desperate to keep you on a hard to fill position), no bonuses (Other than the 1.5% annual income gain) or promotion opportunities, (Company growth is horizontal, not lateral and they do not promote from within. They will tell you otherwise to win you over in the interview process like every other company does though), long hours usually leading into overtime with no additional compensation (Burnout is incredibly high and visible in every department around you) and there is no concrete provided education/career building opportunities (It's expected you should just do so on your own time at home) and can sometimes feel like a digital products and services sweatshop.

Over time you will realize your skills and habits developed through Compulse Integrated Marketing will make you unmarketable because they are clearly behind with industry standards in every area, across all branches.

The culture of Compulse Integrated Marketing is also a little toxic. This is due to the overall culture of Sinclair Broadcasting Group, it's parent company, trickling down as well as the general low self-esteem
  more... levels among many of its employees. I don't blame management for the direct issues, but they do very little to assuage the concerns or developing stresses of their workers.

I enjoyed my time spent there but it was mostly due to the age group of the employees I worked alongside. All being of the millennial generation, there was a sense of comradery amidst the struggles and general disappointment working there. Though on the reverse end, I will also admit the community can often remind you more of a high school than a professional workspace due to the clique-like nature of its employees. Maybe this is because they are millennials but that's a hopeful assumption that they'll grow out of it and that it's not just their generation.
Pros
Low entry barrier to get your digital career start
Cons
Many... I recommend reading my review in full
Industry Leading Company with Individual Value
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 30, 2018
I was a Regional Digital manager responsible for covering a massive geographical territory. Our team was solid and passionate...all rowing toward the same destination.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Time Spent on the Road
Upper level dirty politics
Senior UX Developer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 26, 2018
It can be a a hostile environment but the developers have a great chemistry working together. Upper management lacks the experience to effectively manage the company
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Very fast paced environment which can be very noisy
Unethical workplace
anonymous (Current Employee) –  anonymousOctober 25, 2018
SBG lives up to it's reputation in news media. Corporate managers lie to local managers. One arm of the company has no clue what the other is doing. The entire business is solely sales driven. You will be expected to work entrepreneur hours at the cost of your family. Unhealthy hours.

They have a mission statement, values and vision. They do not follow these principals. Barebones staff and doing just enough is the true vision and culture.

The only way you will receive a raise is to go get a job offer and negotiate. It is true they operate at below market wages.

Stay away
Pros
Benefits Package is nice because it is a big company
Cons
Low pay, Unethical Practices, Doesn't live up to its own mission statement, Unhealthy hours
Not Quite the Employer of choice
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 23, 2018
Simply put, Just Don't. you will regret it. Working environment is toxic. People are not treated fairly. Benefits suck, pay is worse. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
you can watch tv all day
Cons
benefits, workload, environment
Mixed
Director (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
Low benefits. Toxic work environment. "Must runs" are heavy conservative leaning, which contradicts there insistence on being non-partisan. Weird work hours makes it difficult to do anything outside of work. low pay mixed with poor benefits makes any compensation not worth it. Very easy to advance upward, but that means you can peak very quickly and then be suck in an area you can't get out of. But you get to work in TV so that's fun.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
benefits not worth what job entails
Secure Job with plenty of resources to improve your skills
News Designer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 3, 2018
Working at Sinclair provides good benefits and a great deal of opportunity and resources to improve your skills. Work can occasionally be slow due to company size and the fact that employees are spread across the country, but good communication does seem to be maintained fairly consistently.
Don't work here
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 1, 2018
Terrible work environment and company culture. I would not recommend pursuing a job here if you have any other options available. Mismanagement and disorganization to say the least.
Great People and Fun work.
Master Control Technician/Promotions editor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 30, 2018
Great place to work due to the wonderful people and a great environment o work in. Willing to have you to have you train in other departments in order to better your skills and work on promotions. Wonderful and kind coworkers that help you push your abilities to the best they can be. Overall a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Parking
Worst job I ever had
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDSeptember 26, 2018
The company is owned by greedy snobs. No chance at promotion.

I worked master control and had to be in the terminal room during the super bowl. While sales and executives made bank on the ads I made sure aired all I got was super sick from an unhealthy work environment.
Pros
Cons
Management, owneeship, segregation
Sinclair Broadcasting Group is everything that is bad about corp. America today
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 19, 2018
First of all, this company is cut throat. They do not offer compensation that is even close to the national averages for professionals. Honestly, I was shocked to learn that they offer about one half of what other firms offer with only basic benefits. Management are a lot of complete douchers that don't have the slightest clue as to what leadership means.

For example, if they offer you 50K for a position that should be 100K, just tell them to F off.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Pay, Management, Facilities, Benefits, Work-Life Balance
They don't know how it works
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 10, 2018
Management has no idea how a tv station actually works. I had to quite after getting called to the office for doing my job exactly the way I was trained to do it, for the 1,000,000,000 time.
terrible place - no advancement and hostile environment
senior motion designer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 3, 2018
management is horrible.
no advancement whatsoever .
last review i read here was correct. there is workplace bullying.
pay is horrible. Sinclair is the worst , too stingy .
stay away from this place unless you are desperate for a job.
Pros
not sure what the pros are really
Cons
management, pay, career advancement
Good place to Work
Employee (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 1, 2018
Busy office environment,,,,,,,,,,,, Lots of good people there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good Human Resources team.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The company does a good job staying ahead of the curve and generally being more imaginative than their peers.
You're Better Off Somewhere Else
Producer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 4, 2018
Unless you're a "yes man" paper-pushing manager looking for a job with Sinclair, my advice is to stay clear of this company. The only people who get ahead are those who buddy up to management. I've watched people get supervisor positions not based on their qualifications but being a good butt kisser. Then they were demoted because they couldn't handle the job. Those who are hard workers, get worked to death and instead of allowing you the OT compensation you worked for, they rather you leave early. The only good things I can say about this company is that I thought my compensation was fair, and the majority of the people I worked with were great. It's a shame that many of them are leaving to seek employment elsewhere because management is so bad and they're being overworked and underappreciated. They don't fix anything, just patch it up and expect employees to work miracles with broken equipment. There's no accountability. The people who make the work environment stressful and slack off are the ones that never get disciplined. But as soon as someone who comes to work on time, do what they're supposed to do, does so much as to misspell a super, you're berated and in front of people. Unless you like working in this type of environment, it's not worth it.
Pros
Decent wages and benefits
Big Brother
Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 3, 2018
Corporate is very involved in the station activity, even though they don't know the day to day activities that are associated with the work. They see the revenue and are very tight when it comes to giving the profits of their success back to the employees. They are concerned with growth and don't take time to prepare and train their employees adequately for it. You are going to have to figure out a lot by yourself, and find out who to go to for what you need. They expect employees to have a workload that is not always adequate for the employees' success.
Pros
Ability to transfer to other locations
Cons
Too big to have a connection with all employees