Sioux City Journal Employee Reviews

dying industry and unorganized
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMay 22, 2018
This could have been a great place to work but the industry is dying. So the sales goals are unattainable. Management is grasping at straws to reach them which is then coming down on the employees. EVERYONE who works here is waiting for the next big round of layoffs. No one feels like their job is safe.
Everything is so unorganized and everyone is fighting over clients. Its very unprofessional to your advertisers. The managers compete against each other instead of working towards the same goal.
Pros
schedule flexibility
Cons
unethical work place, cut throat, future job outlook is bleak, unorganized
Current news when you want it.
Online Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 26, 2018
Great place to start your newspaper career. The best source for current local news. Work environment is easy going. Loved working with both new and advertising.
Great people with exceptions
Automotive Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IowaJanuary 25, 2018
I guess anywhere you work is going to have gossip. This place is no different. The other employees were great people to work with, with that one exception. Management seemed to never be on the same page as other managers. It also seemed that you were never commended for doing great work. Management always took credit for employee's triumphs, maybe so that they looked good. I work there for 11 years, never a pay raise, had my pay plan and commission structure changed 14 times, which I find crazy. It was never to my benefit. Seemed to forget about contest prizes employees had earned. Once I gave my 2 weeks the manager never even asked why or made an attempt of any kind to get me to stay. I was a good if not great employee, always going over goal and created higher online revenues than anyone else in outside sales. I did stay for 4 weeks after notice to help with a new hire and train them, but they never hired anyone, until I was gone. I did however find out that the new rep that took my place is being paid a higher salary than I was. So the moral of the story is, it's a great career, but the management is horrible.
Pros
good career
Cons
terrible management
Excellent Benefits & PTO
Advertising Representative (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 7, 2017
The job itself is very enjoyable & challenging. You can choose to go in between 8-8:30 which is nice with an hour lunch. Lots of PTO and sick days as well.
Pros
Pto, Environment
Cons
Good job to have if you like driving
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IASeptember 21, 2017
Being a carrier for the Journal is pretty easy. There's no supervisor. You just deliver papers. The only down side is the hours and being out in the elements when its raining or snowing.
Pros
nobody to tell you what to do
Cons
dealing with the weather
supervising managers, truckers, carriers
state circulation manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IASeptember 2, 2017
supervising managers, truckers, carriers. reporting returns collecting single copy bills. making sure carriers are done on time with great customer service.
Pros
getting everything done in a timely manner
Cons
working 24 7 365
Good workplace culture
Features writer/Columnist (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAAugust 9, 2017
As a reporter, you can be flexible and creative when it comes to content. There isn't a rigidity you'd at other newspapers. Generally, there is a good workplace culture. It's hard to be a diva in such a small newsroom.
Pros
There's no such thing as a typical day
Cons
Little room for advancement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJuly 6, 2017
Everyone there is very talented. Be prepared to work more than promised and chances for advancement are hard to come by. Management is very friendly and easy to work with.
Paper route
Paper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, SDOctober 6, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
good exercise
Route Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sioux City iaOctober 27, 2014
deliver newspapers ever day
pick up papers and deliver as many routes as u can/want
Pros
exercise and working alone
Cons
work every day no matter the weather
Fun coworkers
Advertising/Marketing Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAOctober 8, 2014
Great place to work with people and learn, not a great place to be when looking to grow and expand your profression.