Skagit Horticulture LLC Employee Reviews

great
Planter (Former Employee) –  Mabton, WAFebruary 18, 2019
The people are great and hardworking. You show up ready to work and your day will go by fast. The hardest part is standing the whole day, make sure you have good shoes and some water.
poor management
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJanuary 18, 2019
poor management, termination of employment without notification. no benefits. no overtime pay. a lot of employee necessities are not provided to do the work.
Stay away from this employer
assistant grower (Former Employee) –  Riverbend, WANovember 27, 2018
It is a cut throath, back stabbong outfit that will use and dispose of its employees as management sees fit. Management prefers to hire their mostly (incompentent) friends that techniciens have to bail out. Their planning department and sales are out of touch with reality leading them from financial crises to crises.
Pros
Reasonably paid
Cons
work work balance
I liked working there. Great company!
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAOctober 10, 2018
The staff of Skagit horticulture are awesome people and they make working for there company a great and wonderful experience. Very flexible and understand with hours and your choice to work how many as you like.
No Work Life Balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJuly 6, 2018
Horrible Work Life Balance, management could use training, The culture was not very good as employees worried about others talking bad about them and there jobs being jeopardized due to poor management across the board. The hardest part of the job is not being empowered as you should be and being held back by other departments that continuously fail to realize implemented policies on and off paper do not work well for the company.

What I have learned is there is a big difference between fast pass work environment and unorganized chaos.

What I enjoyed the most was making it a more enjoyable work place and showing appreciation for all the hard working underpaid employees.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Poor Management and operations
Working for venture capitalists
CEO/President (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAMarch 10, 2018
Skagit was a company that had morphed from a retail supply company to a wholesale grower supplier. They started as Etera, losing millions per year; they reorganized as Northwest Horticulture, haven lost over 10% of revenues the year prior to my employment. I brought the company to half of the loss, but teh VC's expectations were for a complete turnaround and summararily terminated all of the executive team within 13 months of my start date.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
ownership interested in only teh bottom line at any expense, including people
If you really need the money.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJanuary 11, 2018
The work is hard(in a good way) at NW horticulture. leaning to a specific class of laborer. 14-16 hour work days are normal as well as working 6-7 days a week. pay is minimum wage and because it's agrocultural work there is NO OVERTIME. no benifits, and you arent gonna be doing anything other than what thay start you out doing, regardless of your skill/ability.
Pros
its work that doesn't stop.
Cons
Everything else imaginable.
great place to work
Order Entry Lead (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WA 98273December 6, 2017
the people you work with are friendly and help full. Many plants and different teams that come together to make this place a wonderful place. It's almost like second home.
Not a bad place to work
IT and Telecommunications Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WANovember 14, 2017
I learned a lot about plants and the growing process, the environment was clicky and the people were good. The best part of the job was being around the plants in spring and summer.
Pros
Good Comradery
Cons
Minimal Benefits
Inovative progressive place to work
Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAAugust 22, 2016
While working for Northwest Horticulture I worked closely with the CEO to develop new and innovative sales strategies.

I learned strategic planning on a level I had not experienced before. My Co-workers were all very wonderful. All very good at what they do and a pleasure to be around.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with all of the Senior Management changes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to visit customers and developing new ideas to increase revenue.
Pros
Casual work attire was acceptable every day
Cons
Healthcare plan
Large perennial live plant producer
CEO/President (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJune 23, 2016
This company was in transition from a venture funded company focused on technology and retail markets. After expending capital which never returned the ROI they expected, they converted to a wholesale plant supplier. I came in about the time a VC firm bought the company and decided that a 1 year turnaround was possible and when I failed to turn around the company in a year, they terminated the employment of all C-level executives.
Pros
excellant pay
Cons
unrealistic expectations
IT Department Needs to be upgraded
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, WAJanuary 11, 2016
Servers Needs Upgrading
Desktops need to be upgraded
Need to have reserve desktops / laptops configured
Co-workers are open and I enjoyed working with them
Leadership needs to understand project planning
Hardest part of the job was getting funds assigned for IT department growth.
Company need to have a Disaster Recovery Plan set.
Pros
Available to design and build up the department for growth
Cons
Presented an assessment for IT growth and security but was turned down by management
Very productive
Tree Nursery Worker (Current Employee) –  Mabton, WASeptember 2, 2015
Very productive, fast paced, meeting new people, teamwork.
it's a great place if you're looking for seasonal work and temporary.

I however am not looking for temporary work.
I want permanent employment with opportunity for advancements
Pros
its employment
Cons
Seasonal
Hard Working place
Tractor Driver (Former Employee) –  Mabton, WAJanuary 22, 2015
I learned how to drive forklift and a tractor, It was fun meeting new workers, made working there more enjoyable.The hardest part was working 60+ hours a week.Typical day at work is filling boxes with sedum in the back of a tractor filling in orders.
Farm style hours with minimal recognition
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAApril 22, 2014
The culture and employee/management base of NWH has been highly dynamic over the past two or three years, with the future of the company being uncertain.
Excellent experience in many new directions
Grower Sales Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Mabton, WAAugust 14, 2013
A typical day at work for me begins around 6:30 AM and ends when my work is finished, usually 4:30 or 5 PM.

I have learned valuable information about perennial agriculture. Very enjoyable and interesting. I will take this knowledge with me throughout my life experiences.

The management is good; however there is a lot of turnover from the top down.

My co-workers are excellent examples of hard working dedicated group of people.

The most challenging part of my job is having enough hours in the day to complete the work that needs to be done.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the new challenges I've had to face. We implemented a new operating system, I had the privilege of being a big part in making it work. I love challenging computer programs and learning how they work.
Pros
Free flowers to plant in my yard. Learning their growth habits and care.
Cons
The health care, an retirement packages could be better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skagit Horticulture LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9