Skanska Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Family Culture If You're Included in the Family
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 13, 2018
Unfortunately, I was not included in the "family." I was the only minority who wasn't a receptionist or working "in the field." Even then, I was one of four. The office I worked for had anywhere between 50 and 100 employees, at any given moment. This was my first job after undergrad and I assumed that this was the Corporate America Way. Never hire too many minorities. I didn't understand, at that time, the effect that would have on my job performance and my social skills within the company. Oddly enough, their Atlanta office, at the same time, was the complete opposite. I remember going to a training there once and longing to move and work at that office.
Cut throat
Preconstruction Coordinator for Florida (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2018
Too many people that don't deserve it are getting promotions. The ones who do all the work get no credit. It's all about who you know and not so much about what you know.
Lack of advancement.
Shipping, Receiving, Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 25, 2018
If you are a woman in this company, they don't want to advance you or give you a pay raise, even after long days with no breaks or lunch, and working for this company for over several months. Upper management doesn't want you there, because they think women are weak, and they would rather have men who don't complain or don't report their injuries. If you ask about a raise you are told NO. I was hurt on the job and went to my own doctor and now they don't want to give me workmen's comp or allow me work in the office until I'm better and back on my feet again.
Cons
No breaks or lunch, no pay raise.
LaGuardia Redevelopment Project - Queens, NY
Procurement Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 28, 2018
Worked with supervisor who has poor management skills; supervisor very condescending. Did not want to explain processes to me during the first week of my employment. Self depricating supervisor very hard to work with.
Pros
Nice company
Cons
Supervisor(s) need diversity & ethics training.
Productive and fun workplace
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2018
Excellent work environment with caring people and a clear path for advancement. Collaboration between partner companies provides employees with a unique learning opportunity.
Great Company
Project EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2018
Skanska is one the largest General Contractors in the World. They have world class systems in place to support daily operations. This is a great company to work for if you're looking to get an insight on how great companies operate on the large scale.
Productive and fun work place
Oiler/Operator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 18, 2018
Was a temporary job through the union with this company . Atmosphere was great working environment hoping to go back once work picks back up. Was treated fairly and my union wages / benefits paid in full
Great company, transitioning leadership
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 17, 2018
Good opportunity to develop in a particular project that presented challenges with owner, trades and design team. I learned a lot on healthcare construction in a short time but the lack of leadership and proper training slowed the team and insight for career development.
Great people and team to work with!
Pros
Good team/people, work environment
Cons
work life balance, career development, compensation
Great company to work for and great bosses
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYApril 15, 2018
I was a very hard worker for them as long as you did that there was never a rush and everybody there was easy to get along with there. I loved the work they had me do
Pros
Great company
Cons
N/a
done
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 8, 2018
my typical work day consisted of how to make subs work more towards safety.
what I learned push subs to get job done on time with restrictions per Skanska guide lines.
management sucks no help .
Skanska is all about ethics when they call me to layoff a assistant superintendent . and have an active job opening for a assistant superintendent posted on linked in.
sucking up to upper management.
most enjoyable part of the job getting a check every week.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
breaking long term construction and building friendship with owners and interior build out clientes
employee oriented
Field Mechanic/Welder (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
I was a contract worker .I was treated with respect and consideration.
employee safety was top priority.
Even consideration for employee family was considered.
Exelent company to work for
Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2018
A typical day at work involved a lot of interaction with subcontractors and project team, review of contract documents, submitting RFI's and submittals, contracts, attending meetings, and monitoring construction progress.
Angry, mean management
Journeyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 25, 2018
I've worked in many different construction environments and have never experienced the level of hostility directed at the workforce as I witnessed on the most recent Skanska project I was a part of.

Each day started with an angry, curse-filled berating from the superintendent and/or assistant superintendent of the site. Threats of termination were made almost daily for minor infractions.

The safety program was entirely out of line compared to other similar companies and projects. Several of the mandatory site safety rules in fact were in conflict with OSHA standards. I pressed this issue through the proper channels and the only answer I eventually received was that nobody knows why we do it it this way but that's the rule.

Soft tissue injuries were caused by improper use of fall protection which was enforced by Skanska safety personnel. Employees did not feel comfortable reporting this due to the daily threats and intimidation. Safety personnel did not even understand the intended and proper use of fall protection items.
Pros
Clean work site
Cons
Bad safety practices, horrible morale.
Lack of management skills was very apparent
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 24, 2018
Job was fast pace, the lack of planning on middle management was very troubling. The money was good hours were long . The lack of experience of management is very Apparent
very Professional Environment
Human Resources Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cortez, COMarch 20, 2018
Received great opportunities to learn and grow. Skanska made a decision to close the Rocky Mountain District in Cortez, CO. I was unable to relocate to Phoenix, AZ. I am now able to relocate to Denver, CO. Skanska handled the shut down very professionally and as successful as possible.
Long work days with no additional compensation
Project Environmental, Health & Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 14, 2018
10 to 12 hour days are common and expected. Saturday work is also expected but not compensated in certain regions. Projects are interesting and cutting edge.
Pros
Employees are generally professional
Cons
no work/life balance
Prodoctive work
Pipe Fitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMarch 13, 2018
I learned several things and the company give me time to work at my new best. The techniques and the skills I have learned was challenging but I was successful. I have gained much experience by the end of project.
Pros
free lunch every once in awhile
Cons
short breaks
great
Laborer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2018
I really enjoyed this company. There were many inconsistencies with the supers and deadlines weren't met in a timely manner. If I could go back there id love to give it another shot.
Pros
stable work
Cons
not enough organization
Not Organized
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMarch 12, 2018
not well planned
under paid
new hires skills not looked into
too many people cutting corners to get things done
too many people being put in the wrong place on the job
Sr. SharePoint and Web Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 10, 2018
You get to prioritize your tasks. I have picked up on SharePoint Administrative knowledge. The workplace culture is relaxed. Everybody gets along fairly well.
Pros
I would like to skip a review for now
Cons
I would like to skip a review for now