Skills of Central PA

• Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

I love working

I love working to get a way from ppl to make money. And getting out of the house. It helps me get help with me communicate with special people. Like the old people. But just me I love working with people. They are cool. Trust me I have experience bc I have nana that has problems too but I still love her soo I know what to expect

Pros

I smoke cigs

Cons

Na

Great place to work and grow

I’ve worked for Skills on and off since I was a teenager. I have held many roles, from DSP to Team Leader and now manager. I have great teams that I work with that genuinely care about the people we support and the reason we do what we do.

Pros

Set your own pace or routine, Meals are made for all in the home, So you get to eat with the individuals, Can work independently without a supervisor over you.

Cons

Staffing can be difficult. Can’t always leave when scheduled to do so.

A fun & never boring place to work.

I truly loved working for Skills. Any request for anything the individuals asked for or desired was honored. Excellent training. Family visits & involvement is encouraged & welcomed. The supports the individuals need is top notch. If they want to go on vacation anywhere, Skills will find a way, pay staff to take them & pay all costs. Social & recreational activities are encouraged & paid for. Just overall, great homes for individuals with disabilities.

Pros

Secure jobs, versatile schedules, excellent working environments, great benefits. Lots of overtime available if you want it.

Cons

Sometimes homes will become short staffed & you will be needed to work long hours, some in management are slow to respond to concerns.

Dont do it

This place has been the worst to work at. No work life balance, you need to use vacation but they just want to call you in when you try to use it. I was open with them on my disability, and they spat in my face and lied to me so that they could call me in when I legally could not safely come to work. Was told when I put my two weeks in I would be paid my personal and vacation time, don't know why I trusted that. Don't work here.

Pros

You never have to deal with your family.

Cons

By the time you quit you won't have a family.

Productive and busy

Skills mission statement and philosophy are right on point. Every day we have an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the people we support. In a world full of agencies that make productivity their priority, Skills puts the people we support first. At Skills people truly do matter!

Pros

I make my own schedule

Cons

Health insurance is expensive

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Handled the pandemic very poorly

Skills was a decent job prior to the pandemic. Pay was comparable (although low) compared to other agencies. PTO was decent. Health insurance was excellent. Consumers were incredible and a joy to work with. However, the way that management treated employees during the pandemic was unacceptable. Hazard pay was sporadic and inadequate. Managers and admin were allowed to work from home safely while forcing lower level employees to be put at risk daily with scarce PPE despite the ability to work from home in many cases. During MANDATED telework, employees were forced to meet in person and were pushed to do very risky things that were never discussed in writing, probably because of the risk they posed to workers AND vulnerable community members. Management was not sensitive to concerns and was incredibly insensitive at times considering the amount of death, stress, and illness employees faced during the pandemic. As a non-profit that exists to serve the community, their response to covid was shameful and dangerous. I would highly recommend against working for them if it is important to you to be part of an agency that reflects its own stated values.

Pros

Pto, health insurance, consumers

Cons

Disrespectful, dangerous behavior during the pandemic, asking employees to engage in dangerous activities "off the record, " placing profit over stated values, potential worsening of the pandemic

Fun job but can be stressful

Every day was different and overall it’s a fun place to work. You grow to care for your consumers but management sucks. The pay isn’t that good and insurance is way too expensive though

Cons

Low pay, expensive benefits

Dont waste your time!

Management is horrible. No one knows what they are doing. You will never be home. You work non stop just to not be appropriated. To be honest if you have a young family at home DONT DO IT! They will never see you and you will never see you family.

Pros

Lots of down time

Cons

Terrible management

Its a steady job, pay needs brought up to speed

Steady job if needed. Fulfilling work, but hard to advance and pay never increases. Cost of health benefits have gone up. Communication is lacking.

Pros

Over time if needed. Pto

Cons

Benefit package expensive. Often working extra hours. Short staffed houses. Poor pay rate increases.

Good teamwork with the right team

Good company to work for if you're there for the right reason. Management is fair. This job is not for slackers. Can be fun. Lots of overtime if you want it.

Pros

Relaxed

Cons

Pay

Do to much for little pay and houses are extremely short staffed

I loved the people I worked with between staff and residents but you do too much for little pay and majority of all houses are short staffed. They will call you from the house you normally work at and pull you to a house being singled and you end up having to stay double shifts.

Pros

Good bonding with co workers and residents

Cons

Poor pay and upper management

Never again

Not the place to work if you have family or friends you'll be over worked and underpaid. Pay tops off at $13 so if you work there for 30yrs you'll never make more than $13. The company knows you'll get attached to clients and use that to their advantage.

Pros

Clients

Cons

Too many to list

I wouldnt work here

I wouldnt wast yoyr time, can go other places and do the same and get paid more money. They dont care that you have a family as long as you say yes I will work over time they are fine as soon as you say no they make you feel less of a person

Pros

Can eat meals

Cons

They over work you

Not for everyone

This is not a job for everyone. It has its good days and bad. At the end of the day it is a very rewarding job to be able to make a difference is peoples lives. There are a lot of changes happening all and not all at the companies fault that needs to be implemented. There is a lot of information given and I believe they are pretty transparent with the information. I you Have questions you need to ask. They give a good amount of pto

Pros

The individuals

Cons

Short staffing

Good individuals, managment sucks

This company will take and take from you, the only good part is the individuals. The management does not understand anything and will not work with you. It's there way or no way. You are not appreciated or paid fairly for the amount of work that they expect of you. They expect you to work crazy overtime while they sit at home with their families and let you struggle to be single staffed with 6 people sometimes. They are severely understaffed but are not willing to help any. Meanwhile this causes them to continue to lose people. Most houses are staffed with 2 to 4 people.

Cons

Love the job hate the company.

Works 12 hr shifts only, never enough staff. Staff is over worked, underpaid, team leaders are terrible. Good OT but if you have a life don’t work here. Good health insurance. They play favorites and make people they don’t like quit and walk out.

Pros

Ot, health care

Cons

Poor management

not enough pay

The job does not pay enough for what they put on you. There is other jobs that pay more for the same thing you do at skills. Upper management does not care about staff the use you and change things how they see fit. I love what I do helping the people I support but not where I do it. They do not have enough staff and can not keep the staff they do have.

Pros

The people you support

Cons

Pay management

Was fun in the begining

Was a great company at first but in the last year management and up have just made this a horrible place to work. The only good part about this job is the people that we support. There is no one that had your back and helps you other than some fellow DSPs, and maybe a few team leaders. Most team leaders think that they are above helping and working more than monday thru friday 8-4. Overall i would not recommend working here

Pros

The people that are supported

Cons

Every other thing and all the upper management

It is great to work for a company the appreciates it's employees and has a work culture of caring and kindness. The rate of pay is better then other companies that I have worked for doing the same types of job. The managements listens and works with the staff to make things better. I love my job and enjoy the people that I work with,

Pros

Caring culture

Good Place to work

It's a fun job! I'm doing something different every day and I enjoy being able to help people out and solve problems. My co workers are easy to get along with and supportive.

Pros

Good Co Workers, Fun Job, Holidays and Time Off

Cons

On Call, Pay is decent but not amazing

No respect

There is very little respect for others and those who put in the work. So many judgmental people and so much talking about people behind their backs. Toxic work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skills of Central PA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.1
InHerSight Score
1.3Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight