Skills of Central PA
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Skills of Central PA Employee Reviews in Hanover, PA

Hanover, PA15 reviews

amazeskillindividualrewardclientleaderavailbenefit

Working with the clients is great; upper management is making things a mess

I love my job overall, but the writing is on the wall. Despite pay increases the rate is still below other companies doing the same job. Currently working 80 hrs/week due to staffing shortages with no end in sight. 2-3 years ago I would have recommended the job strongly, now I would advise against it.

In danger of closing

I’ve worked for Skills on and off since I was a teenager. I have held many roles, from DSP to Team Leader and finally a manager. I was alway proud of the work I did and the teams I worked with. I have had to leave this place. Which is devastating to me. The hours- with no OT- 60-80 hours a week. Being left in programs with no relief in sight- I’ve work 25hours straight- 5days straight. All while being single staffed. I am not sure how or why the County has not removed their license

Pros

Set your own pace or routine, Meals are made for all in the home, So you get to eat with the individuals, Can work independently without a supervisor over you.

Cons

Staffing can be difficult. Can’t always leave when scheduled to do so.

Skills of Central PA insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Do to much for little pay and houses are extremely short staffed

I loved the people I worked with between staff and residents but you do too much for little pay and majority of all houses are short staffed. They will call you from the house you normally work at and pull you to a house being singled and you end up having to stay double shifts.

Pros

Good bonding with co workers and residents

Cons

Poor pay and upper management

I wouldnt work here

I wouldnt wast yoyr time, can go other places and do the same and get paid more money. They dont care that you have a family as long as you say yes I will work over time they are fine as soon as you say no they make you feel less of a person

Pros

Can eat meals

Cons

They over work you

Good Place to work

It's a fun job! I'm doing something different every day and I enjoy being able to help people out and solve problems. My co workers are easy to get along with and supportive.

Pros

Good Co Workers, Fun Job, Holidays and Time Off

Cons

On Call, Pay is decent but not amazing

Love my job overall, management is terrible

Do not appreciate employees, underpaid. Staff and clients are cool. Management terrible. You will get pulled from your base house to work at other houses single staff because they are so under staffed.

Supportive Management and caring, devoted staff.

A wonderful career opportunity for those that truly care. Management actively believes in providing the best quality of life for the individuals that we support and provide all staff with the resources to do so. Training is in depth and ongoing, and prepares you very well for providing medical and emotional support for the residents. Staff are welcoming and encouraging and the work environment is very positive.

Individuals are great

I love the individuals that live in the house and that I take care of they became family. But hours and management suck. And they do not appreciate dsps

Pros

The individuals are great

Cons

Not paid enough, no work life balance, high turn over and management

Great company

Like all companies there all faults. Many people above have listed mandatory hours for call offs. Unfortunately this is part of the jobs. There has to be someone on site at a time for the people supported. Yes, it sucks.. it's not all the time. My advice on the topic is to help your coworkers.. trade hours so there are not call offs. It is a team effort. No one can do this alone. Anyway, the company is amazing. They truly want the best for the people supported. The clients are amazing, it's worth getting to know them. We do many fun things depending on client interests. Lots of concerts, shows, vacations to beaches and other destinations, local day trips, and many many more. There are many support systems in Skills. There are many nurses on call 24/7 as well as managers. Yes, there are things Skills could work on, but they are doing the best they can with the resources they have. They always have the clients best interest in mind. I would 100% recommend Skills.

Pros

Amazing clients, fun activities, full benefits( insurance is pretty decent) for full time employees (and certain part time), 401k(employer matched), disibility( short and long) free life insurance

Cons

Scheduling (sometimes) paperwork

Not a good place to work unless you have no kids and want to work your life away

Staff are lazy and rude they don't look out for the best interests of individuals and most of the team leaders are the reason staff quits or get fired they overwork staff and expect them to not.be worn out they do not keep good staff but they have lazy people who only want paid I would not reccomend anyone to go.to.this company they do not pay enough for.what is required for job duties

Pros

Individuals are wonderful

Cons

Hours and management are terrible

Loved working there

Had an awesome team to work with. and a great Team Leader. We would go on outings, visit with families, Take individuals to practice for Special Olympics. I miss the whole crew.

Cons

the call offs and you would have to stay for another shift if coverage wasn't found

Great clients, horrible management

This company is racist!! Your personal business is not confidential! Management will lie on you to save themselves. Their policies are only for certain employees. They don’t treat people of color fairly. They will overwork you and if you make an error because you’re tired, they will write you up and don’t think twice about your hard work.

Pros

The clients are amazing individuals

Cons

They need serious management changes

Great company to work for!

Skills is a great company to work for. The individuals that we serve are the absolute best and they quickly become like a second family. I've enjoyed my time with the individuals so much that when I left from being full time I eventually went back with a PRN position. I simply couldn't stay away from the individuals that I had come to know end enjoy.

Pros

There is usually always the opportunity for overtime

Cons

Being pulled when someone calls off

Great over all job

I loved my job. If you got in the right house with people you click with. It's amazing. I have and will always recommend this job to other.

Pros

Great clients

Cons

I don't really have any cons. Pay in all areas should

Long hours short pay

The people you work with are hit or miss. Working 7 in the morning till 10 at night and don't feel rewarded at all. They are understaffed due to the low pay they provide.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skills of Central PA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.1
InHerSight Score
1.3Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight