Skills of Central PA
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Skills of Central PA Employee Reviews in State College, PA

State College, PA31 reviews

Fun place to work

Enjoyed working with clients. Always learning something different. You teach and help clients be independent and help them earn money. It was always wonderful seeing smiling faces

Pros

Clients

Fun, Rewarding, Exhausting

I love my job! It's a good thing, too, or I'd never tolerate the things that I do. I work long hours (I'm not kidding. Really. Long. Hours.) and I do my own work plus whatever else is asked of me- because I do love my job and am happy to help when I can! Days are fast-paced and ever-changing. We have a lot of fun, and each day is different- which I love! The hardest part of my job is being away from my family so much. My family jokes that they are my part-time job, because I often only go home for about the number of hours that most people go to work each day. That being said, I do get a day off once or twice a week usually. But hear me out- if this job wasn't seriously great, I'd never keep this up, right? And don't think it's about the money- nobody works in this field for the money! But my days are always so rewarding. The people that we support and my coworkers are amazing. This job is not for the weak, and requires intense dedication. Be prepared to be flexible with your time and/ or availability. And be prepared to have fun!

Pros

Rewarding, fast-paced, Fun!

Cons

long, non-conventional hours, exhaustion, low pay

Skills of Central PA insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

very productive and great people

driving to and from adults with special needs, drs app, tests,, anything they had to or wanted to do,,,, a whole of documentaion, and staff meetings, staff and bosses were great,, i loved my job there,, worked in office also for my supervisor,,,

Pros

people and staff

Cons

nothing

No employee appreciation

I've been with the company 5 years. The individuals are great to work with. They are the only reason I stay with skills. The pay is horrible compared to other companies in this field. And they do not give decent raises and there are no bonuses. Raises are not even whole percents. There is a horrible compression issue that they never actually address. The corporate office ignores DSPs altogether. Every year I've been working here my take home pay has gotten smaller! They raise medical every year but do not give raises to even cover the cost of that

Pros

Great individuals to work with

Cons

The pay! It will never get better either

Excellent place to work- room for advancement and new opportunities

I have worked for Skills for a little over 1 year. The management is understanding and promotes a work/personal balance for employees. They are open to new ideas and love to hear feedback from employees. There is always room for advancement and new experiences within the company as it continues to grow.

Pros

Great Management. Room for suggestions and new ideas. Fun place to work

Cons

Poor healthcare benefits

Absolutely enjoyed working with the mental health population and my participants!

I was at Skills for 1 year and at first loved my job, but management never came to our site and did not listen to staff complaints or concerns. Staff would talk about the participants behind closed doors which strictly broke the ethics of confidentiality. When staff at another site was short handed I was often pulled from my job and my paperwork to do someone else's work who was behind. Then I ended up getting reprimanded for my paperwork not being done on time. It was a slap in the face when it came to salary. With a BSW and numerous years of experience it was pathetic what they paid. My co worker and I went above and beyond our job description without any gradification or a simple thank you. When I found out Skills did not give raises or bonuses I was shocked. In my 15 years of being a social worker I have never worked at a company that did not give some sort of a raise in pay. I felt I was working for free while it was made known that supervisors and other workers in different positions somehow got raises. Im not the type of person to suck up and kiss anyones behind to get special treatment. If you can't give raises to all employees don't try to sneak and give to others because it won't be kept a secret very long. People talk and tell their business to whom ever. So beware of who and what you reveal about your personal or professional life too because it will be told. Be careful with who you think are your "friends". I saw a lot of back stabbing during my year at Skills. Overall my decision to leave was based on poor management, lack of trust and respect from others, the -

Pros

Participants and co-worker

Cons

Poor management, salary, not being appreciated and supported by supervisor, gossip and back stabbing..

Employees are not appreciated

I worked for Skills of Central PA for a little under two years. I loved my job in the aspect of working with the clients and taking good care of them. But when it comes to Skills appreciating and rewarding their employees for the work they do and/or have done, they do not do so what so ever. The way they handle problems involving their employees is completely ridiculous and needs some looking into.

Pros

Working within the clients lives.

Cons

Employee appreciation is terrible

good teamwork and balance

good teamwork and work-life balance. Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Skills of Central PA. Reason for leaving is relocation to South Carolina.

Thinking of working here?

If you are thinking of working here, don't. Management is horrible, the hours are awful, and they do not work with you. The clients are wonderful and the work is rewarding but the pay is ridiculous and there is nothing good to be said about the company and most of the co-workers. Because the pay scale is so low they don't attract a good base of quality workers. Go back to school and do something else.

nice houses and individuals to work with

the best part about this company is the clients. the hardest part is there is dealing with the people above you.

Pros

the individuals love when you sit down to dinner with them like family

Cons

the paycheck

Fun place to work

My day entailed a day of dealing with CEO's and CFO's doing what they needed done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skills of Central PA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.1
InHerSight Score
1.3Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight