Skip the Dishes Employee Reviews

Working as Courier
Courier Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 13, 2018
Working in Skip the Dishes can be beneficial but there is a down side too. The beneficial is you can get extra paid aside from your full time job. However, as a courier it may be scam because when it comes to cash, some people are abusing it as an example, when they only have $100, and company rule say only bring 60 dollars. Don't work for Skip the Dishes, on weekdays, or weekend (sometimes not busy) you will be earning less if you work within the area Brampton and Mississauga and people don't give you tips and it waste of my time and fuel of the car.
Cons
Lots of Scams
Pretty fun job, manage your own schedule
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 12, 2018
I have been working for online delivery companies since February of 2018. Started with Door Dash, then added Skip this past summer. I lost my full time job, so I took a gamble and did Skip The Dishes full time. My first full week I was able to make a liveable amount. I also have shared custody of my daughter so, the ease of scheduling to accomodate her schooling is awesome.
Be dilligent on orders, never decline or abandon an order and work your full shift, it can work out. Some days are slow however. I have made between $65 to $100 on a 4 hour shift. The lowest I ever made was $50
Limit your driving between orders and track your mileage.
Keep all your receipts such as fuel, oil changes, car maitenence, your $75 bill for your bags, etc.
You are self employed and responsible for your vehicle and all your costs and overheads.
Pros
Work your schedule, pick up open shifts
Cons
Slow days, have to deal with all kinds of traffic volume
These guys are awful
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 10, 2018
I've driven for about 8 months now on and off, during school, between jobs etc. And basically anything that is unethical you can think of, they do to couriers.

-You are an independent contractor, but they penalize you for dropping shifts, for refusing jobs (that aren't worth the gas cost), they wont cover any expenses or back you up in any dispute etc. I had a friend who had to cover his own tickets for parking in loading zones even though he was "loading", when he asked if he could use a skipthedishes badge to tell people he was just delivering they denied to let him do that. Realistically they just want an army of workers than they don't have to pay minimum wage.

-On the BEST nights, you will make minimum wage. On MOST nights, after deductions, you will make as little as $4 per hour. Yeah you heard that right. I've worked for 8 hours before and made $32.

-The dispatchers are petty children, don't expect any help from them. In fact if you complain at all about anything, such as a 30 minute round trip delivery for $3.45 pay, you can expect not to make a dime for the rest of the night. I have had it where I complained about something and sat for 6 hours after without making any money. It is an unspoken rule that the dispatchers will f*** with you. I know it was busy too because they stopped taking orders from customers due to being backed up.

-They do NOT pay for the things they say they will. You will not be reimbursed for wait times on orders at restaurants, I literally never have been. They will try to avoid reimbursing you for customer mistakes like
  more... when they make you drive across the city because the customer put in the wrong address. I have had them not pay for an extra 15 mins of drive time and stop responding when I asked them about it.

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY EVER!
DON'T BELIEVE ME? CHECK THE TOP POSTS ON THE SKIPTHEDISHES SUBREDDIT.
Pros
Deciding your own schedule
Cons
Everything else
They Should be Called Skip the Pay
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONOctober 6, 2018
There are only promises when they hiring you for a driver to find out that all was a lie. They don't pay the wait time. Pay only $3.45 for trips during peak hours that takes 30 min drive. They book you for 4 hrs shifts and can't even provide 6 orders for those hours. So be prepared to sit on parking lots and have extensive driving for about $7 /hrs. The phone number for couriers does not work and no answers to provide support. They try to cheat with the pay compensation and would blame the driver that they did not mark it properly. So Don't trust them if you are a driver.
Pros
No Pros with Skip the dishes
Cons
Not enough pay, $7 hr after gas, Too many driver and you don't get orders, Waste of time, It will cost you over $100 to get started with bags and gas, They Lie and they Scam Drivers
Work like a slave but you are independent...contractor
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2018
Ruin your car, sit sometimes two hours in cold or hot waiting for an order, deal with bad traffic, idiotic dispatch and make $7 per hour after you pay fuel, sounds great !!!
Worst job you can imagine.
Actual income 8 to 10 per hour
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 6, 2018
Been a courier for 6 months now. The company is seriously flawed in that the dispatch team "cherry picks" it's drivers. This is a fact. You can be sitting in the middle of a 'hotspot' and not receive an order for 45 minutes. Hotspots dont mean anything as they can dispatch you across town and back again. I won't deliver to the head office anymore as 90% of the time you have to wait for the customer to come down. Even if you call ahead! Another issue is there could be too many drivers, and not enough orders. They send weekly email to let them know which days you are available and you can be available 7 days and they will give you a schedule with 2. They need to also emphasize tipping as delivering downtown, in rush hour traffic will quickly eat up a 3.95 transit fee. You are in essence paying to deliver an order, which can be very frustrating while waiting in heavy traffic. It's a 8 to 10 dollar an hour job, when you account for car expenses, additional insurance, etc. What's good about the job? Visiting new restaurants, meeting nice people, and making a 'few' bucks.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
read above.
Not bad but not much pay
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCOctober 2, 2018
The pay is not that great, but it is a good part time second job when you have free time. I live in a small town so driving to the restaurant and then to the customer and back down town afterwards does not take that much gas and i make anywhere from 7-15$ an order. I believe that they hire too many drivers and this results in lack of deliveries throughout the day.
Pros
Good second part time job, very easy
Cons
Not much pay, lack of deliveries
Fun place to work at
OPERATIONS SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 1, 2018
Relaxed yet professional work environment. Great people, interesting work to keep you occupied. Empathetic and understanding management. However, not somewhere to go to for your professional career development.
Current issues ..
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 23, 2018
HQ is filled with bots, I'm not even sure they are people or just AI bots. Answers are copy/paste or bot generated. Inhuman.

Too many couriers per shift results in excessive lul wait times to get an order.

General lack of communication between HQ and couriers.

Some restaurants won't begin to make order until courier arrives

Shift allocation is a lottery, good luck!

Overall this gig is only good for the short term, or kids that can do their homework in their car while awaiting an order.

They should provide the vehicles and hire drivers like any other company. Pay stat pay and remit taxes to govt, etc. I'm not sure the gig economy is sustainable.
Pros
extra cash
Cons
sitting in traffic
Just speaking for Surrey
Courier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 19, 2018
Do NOT become a driver in Surrey BC.
Indians DO NOT TIP
You have been warned

Also I question the compensation system. Many times I have been waiting at a restaurant (especially in Surrey) where they will not make the food until the driver gets there. Because drivers don't get paid for time this is a huge hassle. Courier help will say you will get compensated. I generally do not

Oh and here's an example of Surrey
I worked a 2:30 to 5:30 Tuesday afternoon.
I made $17.85. I also spent $10 on gas. This is pretty much the norm
Pros
Paid once a week
Cons
No comp, no tips
Good Start
Courier Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 18, 2018
Good place to get extra income, great for students. Environment is very casual. Repetitive task that can be draining though. Managers are mostly friendly and accommodative.
Pros
Great for students
Cons
Repetitive task
Fun job with flexible hours and decent pay
Courier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 17, 2018
Wow, there sure are a lot of people complaining about this job. I don't understand why; I absolutely love it. I worked from 7:30AM to just after midnight today with hardly any breaks, not because I had to but because I wanted to.

I'm giving the company a high rating because I love the job, not because I think the company is particularly great, although they haven't really given me a reason to dislike them, either.

A typical day at work is to visit many restaurants and deliver a lot of food to people. Occasionally, there's no order to take, so I use that time to run personal errands, or catch up on my email or whatever.

Management? What management? You don't have a manager, you work as an independent contractor, meaning you're your own boss, so if you don't like your manager, better talk to the guy in the mirror.

Not sure about "workplace culture"; you're not really interacting with co-workers much, so I don't know about any "culture".

The hardest part of the job is.... wait, this job is the easiest I've ever had. There are no hard parts that I can think of.

The most enjoyable part of the job is I get to drive my car listening to music and get paid for it.

I didn't enter a salary because this isn't a salary job. For End Date I said "I currently work here", even though I don't. You start "working here" again every day and finish "working here" at the end of every shift.

I don't know why this stupid form is asking me to rate the CEO. What employee ever even meets the CEO at ANY company?
Pros
Work whatever hours you want. Be your own boss. Drive your car and get paid for it.
Cons
Can't think of anything. I guess if you don't like driving, or are terrible at it, that's a Con, and you might want to try some other job.
Awful company to work with.....
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 15, 2018
Awful shifts and poor management.No one in customer service helps the courier.Transit pay and tip given by customers are modified and are not worthy of the distance.This company makes a fool out of you ....courier waste gas ,time and still does not get paid.People in office are not coordinated with their views and keep changing views for every matter.There are other courier services that gives you better earning opportunities than this brand
Pros
Cons
No money, waste of gas and time
Less than half of minimum wage. ruin your car for $6 an hour.
Courier (Former Employee) –  OakvilleSeptember 13, 2018
Its hit and miss, sometimes you are busy sometimes you are not. When you are busy you can at best bring in about $22 an hour. After you factor in your vehicle cost, gas, tires, oil changes, etc you usually bring in at best about $16 but the average is about $7 an hour before taxes but you won't pay tax because of your vehicle write offs and how little you make. Some shifts you make less than $3 an hour. Too much waiting and not even driving. If you work 16 hours per day 7 days per week you can bring in about $700 a week in 112 hours if the shifts are good.
Pros
0 experience required
Cons
Make $25-70 in 5 hours before gas / taxes, works out to about $6 per hour
Onboarding specialist
Onboarding (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 9, 2018
DO NOT WORK FOR SKIP AT HEAD OFFICE OR BECOME A DRIVER
. Low pay and expected long hours. Little to no training for restaurants, all they get is a 30 mins training call and no support after the fact. Percentage taken from the restaurants is so high and all the little extra fees that are taken how do they make money. Your manager will be 19 years old with now professionally what so ever. They get you on being a great start up company with a cool culture but all it is, is a call center. You never get a raise no matter how hard you work and there is no room to move up because they just keep hiring kids fresh out of school where $15 an hour is a lot for them.
Pay is nothing
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 2, 2018
As a driver, i think they pay less than what you can belive! They pay as less as possible. If you wanna do this kind of job go for other delivery system which as available
Least Job to take!
Driver and Courier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 31, 2018
>the promise that you'll get paid $25/hour is not true, but instead
$10-15/hour and its always depends on time and season.
>if you got a new car, this job is not for you, it will eat a lot of mileage
that will cause your car deteriorate faster.
>basically you'll just earn from customer's tips no more, but if the customer doesn't want to give you tip then you're wasted for that delivery, the profit of that delivery will only go to the company and not the driver.
>you earn little, because you will also pay, gas, insurance, food and car's maintenance. so yeah its even more better to get a minimum pay job than this job.
> hours of shift is not assured, you'll get different shifts depending for the demand for the day.
Pros
You control your time
Cons
small pay, net pay.
HQ not a clue
Courier Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 31, 2018
HQ does not have a clue when it comes to it's couriers. With the cost of gas after you've paid for your gas, your earning's are less than a person working for the minimum wage. The Transport Fees are way out of wack. There aren't alot of tips, and repeat customers are few and far between. I have had some very good customers, but only once as there isn't an option for repeat business. Sometimes a shift is good, for example if you can average 2 delivers in an hour, and make 10.00 per deliver then it's worth it. Anything under that isn't. HQ has no clue when it comes to the logistics of what courier's do, nor do I understand how there system works. I can be sitting for an hour, then someone else will just come on shift, sitting at the same location, and they get a job before I do. If you don't care about earning good money, and are doing this just to earn extra cash, then yes it's okay. You don't always get the shifts you want either...so it's not as flexible as one might think.
Pros
once you get to know high traffic hours it's good
Cons
it's not that lucrative
Full Availability Zero Shifts
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 30, 2018
I registered with Skip for more than a 1month now and every time when i give my availability as per their suggestions still they are giving me zero hours for the week. Really disappointed the way they make you fool by saying as they don’t have much orders coming this time they are giving almost no shifts to the courier overall nd i worked at a restaurant where so many Skip orders come at the same time !!! Worst Experience..thank god Uber Eats has come in the city at least for now
I Really Enjoy Being A Courier
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 27, 2018
This company is great to work for as a courier! The one thing many people don't understand as a courier, is that you are an independent contractor with them - hence the word "Independent Contractor". A lot of people are complaining about gas, mileage, maintenance costs, etc and say it's not worth it - I say differently. When you are an Independent Contractor, you have to do the following as a Courier for Skip for Tax Time:

- Keep a Log Book in your vehicle and write down the total kilometers you drove that night and every night you work for the whole year (you get so many cents a kilometer you drive). CRA will want a photo copy of the log book for the year you work in.

- Keep all your gas & maintenance receipts for your car, for the whole year (you get to claim a % back at tax time).

- Keep all your cell phone receipts for the year, for you will be able to claim it at tax time as well.

- MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE YOUR CAR INSURANCE COVERAGE TO COMMON-CARRIER INSURANCE!! - or what ever carrier insurance you have in your province - it is a little more expensive then regular or all purpose insurance, but it will give you a peace-of-mind.

With the above recommendations, you should be getting money back at tax time.

The one thing I am surprised about Skip, is that they don't share this information with their current drivers and especially the new drivers that come on - they should!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skip the Dishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7