Skip the Dishes Employee Reviews

Perfect for a student
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 20, 2019
OK, this is my HONEST review:

1. For what it’s worth, the pay is great. This is a relatively unskilled position and it doesn’t demand a lot of labour. On average, I earn more than the minimum wage worker (about $15-$30/hour). In a typical four hour shift, I make about $50-$70 (sometimes up to $100+). $1600/month to drive my car around town is not a bad gig at all.

2. You are your OWN boss. It feels GREAT to not have to interact with horrible managers on a daily basis. I get in my car, blast my tunes, and I drive. If I have an order assigned and I don’t want it, it’s a simple message to Skip and they’ll reassign the order. If restaurant staff are rude, I call up Skip and they look into it.

3. I set my OWN hours. I sign in. I end my shift early if I need to. I cancel my shift last minute if I need to. And I’ve had ZERO consequences for it. I LOVE that. I’m able to focus on school, my friends/family, etc.

3. The only thing I don’t appreciate is being placed in potentially unsafe situations. When you’re in a dark lit apartment building in a ghetto location of your city — with a customer screaming at you for an incorrect order — ya that can be scary. And it’s not pleasant to deal with. In terms of cons, this is my only thing to say. Cash orders can be a pain too, but hey, it puts money in your wallet.

Overall, this is a great job. Sure, you have to consider the cost of gas, mileage, wear/tear on your vehicle, but appropriate driving behaviours can minimize the cost of these things. I’m happy at Skip.
Pros
Set your own hours, be your own boss!
Cons
Potentially unsafe situations
Just terrible
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain/Spruce GroveMarch 17, 2019
The pay is awful and all over the place at the best of times which are extremely rare you'll make about $20/hr but this isn't taking into account the cost of gas and vehicle maintenance also the fact they don't tax you so you'll end up getting a hefty tax bill at the end of the year.

Realistically you'll make less then $10/hr before your expenses come into play. They constantly hire new drivers and put too many people on at once so not only is it hard to get the shifts you want, but you'll also get very few orders as a result of this.The only good part is you can make your own schedule but like I said since they hire so many people it's very unlikely you'll get the hours you want. Basically you'd be better off working any other part time job.
Pros
I'll let you know when I find one
Flexible Time Schedule
Success Specialist (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 14, 2019
. Flexible Time.
. A positive and friendly work environment.
. Learn about how to understand Canadian and their culture.
. Direct contact with your supervisor and manager. They easily understand your problem and assist you in dealing with it.
You will be frustrated, it's a lot like gambling.
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 13, 2019
Skip the Dishes is an ok place to work for on the side but the system does not allow one to make even minimum wage without driving at inopportune times. You will also be frustrated by the lack of help and escalation through the app that would allow better customer service and increased $/per hour.
Often the lack of communication between the app services, the driver, and customer seems lacking and could use a more direct approach to improve the business. At the time being, working for SkiptheDishes has made me avoid them due to what I've experienced in terms of wait times.
Food often takes up to an hour to be delivered and has been waiting for 20-30 minutes at the restaurant depending on drivers. This leads to very old food being delivered on a regular basis due to inefficiencies rather than slow driving.
Pros
Work or stop working virtually whenever you want.
Cons
the $$$ shifts are late at night or during lunch hours, and $/per hour depends highly on customer tipping 15%+, or getting 'lucky' with routes and high value orders
I’m afraid to do the math...
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 13, 2019
I’ve only been delivering for a week now, but my shifts have been getting progressively worse! I waited for an hour before getting an order yesterday, and then today it took me 3 hours to earn less than $30... that’s not including gas or vehicle wear and tear!
It’s a side hustle for me, but hope it gets better not worse!! Best day I’ve had so far was $115 in about 6 hours of actual driving..
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Costs a lot of $$$
No support to speak of. Also: DO NOT BUY THE BAGS!!!!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2019
Beside the bad pay as a driver you will also have to deal with a complete lack of support.
As an example: I bought the recommended Skip bags, but they started to crumble after less than two months of use. I took very good care of my purchase. Never even folded them, but the plastic is just disintegrating on its own. I spent about two hours (in three instalments) on the phone to get through, and when I finally got to a living person, I was transferred again, but this time I gave up after about 30 minutes. I sent an email too with pictures of the defective bag but received no reply.
Be aware. You will receive no help from Skip.
Angry customers
Live Ops and Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 8, 2019
That is the job to handle angry, hungry customers and their complains and issues. Oyher then that we also dealt with angry restaurant partners and helped with their issues as well
Cons
Late hours
Amazingly Diverse Setting
MENULOG LIVE SUPPORT, CALL CENTER AGENT (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 5, 2019
A typical work day includes getting to work and being greeted, getting into the work, and enjoying the time spent with coworkers. The job is simple and once you get a hang of the systems you use, such as spreadsheet and documents, it is pretty easy going.
Pros
good work setting
Cons
bad scheduling systems (not lenient), long time sitting
can be good but also not
DELIVERY DRIVER (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 5, 2019
the management need to focus on there app some food get put into limbo because delivery drives dont want to take the order. the reliability system should be based on how good you are as a driver and not if you can make you shift, drivers who constantly dont exept no tip orders should not be allowed to drive. other then that its a decent job and you get to do what you want.
Good Orders Good Money
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONMarch 4, 2019
I work with this 4 days of the week 3 hours a day $300.00 @$25/hr hour good money. keep it up skip we need more orders and more money. i think if u pay a bit more we can commit to more hourss
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
waiting time
Flexible & Easy job
Part-time Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2019
Super easy to accomplish the necessary tasks, simple app and decent wage based on productivity. I like the fact I am paid weekly and can make my own schedule at any time.
it is OK to generate few dollars if nothing else is available.
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2019
Work base on contract using own vehicle .
Pay based on delivery which each one has different $ value. Each delivery pay is calculated base on average delivery time, not on the distance. it means no mater how far driver go (gas usage), but how much time ia required to accomplish the delivery. not every driver getting the $ assignment.
Excellent and unique
Driver (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Greater Vancouver, BCFebruary 22, 2019
Excellent and unique. There are work always all dependent on your availability. Extreme flexibility with work schedule. Dispatchers treat you like clients once you get hold of them. Love their App driven work instructions.
Pros
Flexibility, no shortage of work
Cons
lack of advancement opportunity
its fun and flexible job
food delivery courier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 21, 2019
One can gain a lot of customer service experience as a courier because one gets to greet and meet different kinds of people with different moods. Skip should focus more on their transit payments to the couriers depending on the weather conditions. These days couriers income is a lot more dependent on the customers tip rather than skip the dishes wages for the delivery which is making the business worse.
Pros
flexible and easy scheduling system
Cons
Low wages no health benefits
Fun, but don't quit your day job.
Food Courier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 21, 2019
The job is fun and very flexible. You can wear whatever you want, listen to whatever you want, but there are quite a few downsides to it. If you encounter a problem that is out of your power (ie. order mistake, customer didn't order the food, etc), you have to contact Skip and wait for them to take care of the situation, which in case, wastes your time, losing opportunity to make more money. With this job, time = more money, so don't quit your day job for this.
Pros
A lot of freedom
Cons
Low pay
Worst company
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONFebruary 20, 2019
Worst company i have ever worked with.
They are good for new drivers. If you start working good hours with them you will have lots of bad experiences. Restaurants will never give you food at the pick up time. If you dont want to pick a certain order and want to reassign it skip the dishes will never reply you on time and also they don’t answer your calls on time. Last night i went to a restaurant to pick up order but the restaurant was closed. I sent them a text in chat about the issue and also tried to call them. The call was never answered and they didn’t reply till morning and order was reassigned this morning that’s exactly after 8-10 hours.
Pros
Cons
No tips, Bad pay rate, very bad in answering calls, restaurants never give you food on pickup time.
Waste of your time
Food Courier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLFebruary 17, 2019
If you like burning 3 dollars worth of gas and driving 20 km to earn $3.45 , then come volunteer for Skip. 50% of people do not tip. 25% of those who do tip $2 or less. The base rates Skip pay are about what it cost in fuel and wear and tear on your car to do a gig. If there are no tips, you will waste your time. There are 3 times the number of drivers than what are required so you will sit in your car, freezing and hungry 80% of the time. You will rarely make more than 50 a shift and drive 150km to get that. Some shifts will only get you 20 bucks. When you chat with a dispatcher, you will get a " standard remark" response. You will do ok your first shift as that is to suck you in. The more shifts you do the less you will make. The average pay for an order in St. John's is $6.00, not $8.00 as mentioned on the Skip website. You must get used to sitting for 3 hours with no orders while watching other Skip drivers come and go with orders. Every third or fourth shift is like that . In less than a month you will begin to hate the job and despise the nasty dispatchers who play games with you for sport. The harder you work and the better you do the work the worse you'll get treated. The chat workers will lie and say that orders are assigned by an algorithm, but you will soon learn that this is a lie as you notice trends depending on their moods. The good dispatchers will be fair, but there are perverted, twisted ones who will make sport ensuring the only orders offered involve so much distance to drive to the restaurants (which is unpaid) that you'll be working for free. You'll not  more... get shifts that are convenient for you because they'll be snapped up by others before you get the chance. Your customers will sometimes wait for hours to get their food, despite you sitting right outside the restaurant waiting to be assigned an order. Those customers will blame the driver and give you a bad review no matter how fast you've done your job or how courteous you've been traipsing through the Health Science Center looking for a particular surgeon who incidentally didn't even tip you. All true stories. The 15% of good shifts will not be enough to make the experience of being a Skip driver worthwhile and unequivocally guaranteed you will quit and despise this greedy, horribly miserable outfit.  less
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
Dishonest rip off outfit, working for 6 bucks an hour after expenses.
MODERN DAY SLAVERY Boycott this company
Food courier (Former Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 14, 2019
How does this company legally get away with paying their couriers so little. I’ve bedn doing it cause of major necessity but after working 70-90 hour work weeks, and cost of gas and vehicle maintenance, you’ll honestly be be lucky to clear $500/week. And that not counting taxes.

This company needs to held accountable for employing so many people at once but not having the responsibility to pay them fairly. They schedule way too many drivers at once and don’t care because they don’t have to pay them.

I give up. Thank goodness I don’t have to do this anymore. Management is very poor and they’re rude. This company does not care about its couriers one bit.

They should be ashamed of themselves and I recommend everyone to tell their friends and family to boycott this company at all cost.
Pros
Flexible work hours.
Cons
Horribly low pay
Not worth it
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 14, 2019
Been working for a few months. Was somewhat worth it in the beginning, but now apparently you only get paid for the distance from the resturant to the customers house. So basically they do not care about the drivers and want them to work for free. And if you work in Brampton, don't expect to get tips
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Extremley low pay
Poor or lacking logistics management, district mgr.'s, local tech support teams and resolution center
courier driver (Former Employee) –  buffalo nyFebruary 14, 2019
Feb.2, 2019 I completed boarding process after purchasing thermal bags, having provided uploaded required documents, W-9, and bank info. I received E-mails welcoming me on board and starting me out on Feb.3, 2019. I made $70 that day, which was also the last day of pay period. I started again on the 4th and 6th of Feb. 2019, earning a total of $57. NO PAY TO DATE Feb.14th,2019 though 2 pay periods have passed. After 4-5 days of poor support, I was re assured the issue was resolved but still won't get paid until Feb.22,2019. I have since deleted the app and consider it a loss, and rather cut my losses there. The logistics are a total failure, and could take a page from the Taxi handbook.... A city is divided in 4 quarters. Drivers check in to one of the locations in cue for delivery requests and remain in that location in cue until completing delivery then re-checking into another location On busy hours/days the orders should be "tossed up" for whoever checks for the delivery first. This ensures orders are promptly delivered while hot and fresh and in a timely manner. I liked that I could pick up and deliver without GPS, but the company is glitched by people running a network through GPS and have no ground people with experience, nor a functional system in which to operate. Not getting paid nor providing satisfactory resolutions is a "no"starter"

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skip the Dishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7