Skyhawks Sports Academy Employee Reviews

Good
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2018
Good for high school students, College Students, and retirement.

Flexible hours

Great for a summer job

Drive a lot

Working with kids

Teaching Sports with a purpose
Pros
Hours and Coaching
Cons
Driving
Entrepreneurial Spirit drives this job
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 28, 2018
During my time at Skyhawks, I was an Area Manager for an expansive territory. Depending on the season, a typical day at work usually includes working from home on your laptop, or traveling to programs to oversee operations.

I learned that even though you only have the title of a manager, you are essentially the owner of your territory. The corporate office is located in Spokane, Washington. This means that you don't have the stress of your superiors looking down on everything you do in-person. However, you still have relatively good contact with the office and your superiors via email or phone, and if necessary, they can come visit the territory at any time.

The majority of coaches and directors that are hired are high school and college students, which means the managerial style is more paternalistic than anything else. However, authoritarian is not the desired style given the environment you are in. There are several situations in which you need to rise to the occasion, and usually that is in the form of getting equipment to staff in need, and running programs as a coach or director as necessary. That is the most difficult part of the job, especially when you start with the company as a coach and work your way to a manager.

Area Manager positions are few and far between with Skyhawks now, as they attempt to move all areas into franchise ownership. However, the most enjoyable part of the position is having the flexibility to work from home during a majority of the year, and being able to travel during the summer. If you love sports and enjoy creating something bigger,
  more... this is definitely the position for you.  less
Pros
Work from home, flexible work schedule, extremely computer-based during the course of the year
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement unless you desire to franchise own the business, over 50% travel during the busy summer months
Fun Job
Coach (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 23, 2018
When on the schedule you would show up to parks and teach classes to children. It consist of playing games to enhance their skills and doing a lot of fun activities with the children.
Summer time only
Sports Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAOctober 21, 2018
Only offer summer sports camp jobs. Was great working with kids but was left to write our own curriculum with little to no help. Would only recommend to college students that have summers off.
Pros
Fun summer job
Cons
Everything except for fun working with kids
Amazing place to work!
Director (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COSeptember 23, 2018
This is an amazing place to work. If you like kids, being outside, and playing sports this is the job for you.The management is outstanding and the people are all really nice.
Summer work
Director of Basketball (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAAugust 28, 2018
This is great summer work for those who like kids and sports. You'll be dealing with high energy kids, who match your intensity and want to work with you in their respective sports.
Good summer Job and part time job
Sports Skills Camp Coach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2018
Skyhawks Sports Academy is a good job if you need extra cash for the summer and or cash for the year and you get to cosch your favorite sports

The hours are Decent but not enough to make a living but a fun job on the side. If you are thinking about coaching or starting to coach and or need work then skyhawks is the place for you to start!
Pros
Coaching, Good hours, Networking in coaching
Cons
Not enough hours, no advancement
Productive and fun especially when the kids had fun playing sports.
Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
A typical day at work would be me setting up, but also arriving an hour before the kids arrive to make sure everything is set up. Once the kids arrive you warm up and stretch to make sure they understand that is an important step for them in their future in sports. You run drills, you play games and they have a break for snack. When they leave the check out process is to make sure that the correct person who is picking them up ends up with the child. You don't want to mess it up because the safety of the child is your responsibility.
I learned that as a coach you are going to get thrown curves and you need to rise above it, Just like where I volunteer you're there for the kids. A lot of the kids I coached were very athletic and for those that weren't I wanted to make a great environment that they can fit into without feeling discouraged. I learned that because I remember not knowing much about a sport, but I didn't give up and I don't want them to give up neither.
Management was amazing, there wasn't a time when management wasn't open for questions, conversation and they would listen to everything.
The culture was very friendly, there was always organization when you had to pick your things up for the next camp. It was quick, but it got done and we tried to hurry up and get it done so that the people in charge could go home.
Hardest part of the job for me I think was when I would invite parents to show up on the last day and see their kids play, sometimes a few parents would show up. I understand that they work, I just think it changes the mood of a kid when they see other
  more... kids with their parents and their mom or dad couldn't be there.
Most enjoyable part would have to be the kids and how much fun they have. In some camps I would ask the parents permission to take photos and email them to them all. It was great!
Pros
Kids, Fun, and Learning Experience
Cons
Short breaks, the pay and scheduling.
fairly easy with good schedules
Coach (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 30, 2018
Basically at this job you are babysitting kids and attempting to teach them some sports skills. Depending on the camp you have this job can be really fun or not. If the kids behave well and are sweet it can be a great time playing soccer or basketball or whatever with them. But if you get a group of kids that are rude and wild, or if your other coach(es) slack off it can be kind of rough.
Pros
you get to be outside, camps are either 3 or 6 hours, as far as I know they were only weekdays
Cons
sometimes we were under staffed at a camp, and you won't necessarily get the camps that are close by
Solid Place for summer job for high school kids
Summer Sports Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 29, 2018
It was a decent work environment, easy hours, working with kids is always tough on anyone. They are average listeners at best. Pay wasn't really enough.
Fun, innovative job teaching kids to play sports.
Tennis Coach (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAMay 23, 2018
Fun week-long summer sports camps. It was fun but stressful working here. The location of your workplace here changes on a weekly basis, but management is good at communicating these places in advance and you have a choice whether to take the job or not. Overall, Skyhawks is a good company with good intentions and it is always great to get to know kids and see the improvement in their sports abilities.
Flexible Fun Job With Great Interactions
Youth Activities Coach/Mentor/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 20, 2018
This job was by far the most fun I've ever had when it came to working. Interacting with the kids and carrying out lesson plans on sports that you have experience with is so rewarding. During the time I worked there, it was rewarding to know that I could be making such a huge impact on these kids lives and it was fun developing a relationship with them.
Pros
Fun, Rewarding, Kids
Cons
Not many hours
i was a fun time
Coach (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 5, 2018
when i would show up and would set up so we could start camp then we would run through camp and give the kids a lunch break so the kids could fuel up and keep learning the sport they were there to learn
Engaging and unique
Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COFebruary 22, 2018
Always had a different day at work, with new kids and new adventures. They pay was good and the other employees were open and outgoing. They hired really well and kept campers entertained.
Pros
Engaging
Perfect place to starte teaching PE
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJanuary 3, 2018
Sky Hawks set the tone with teaching PE. I learned almost everything I know from this place. How to manage a class, how to write a lesson plan, and also how to keep time management.
great job
Director of Coaching (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 13, 2017
really good job learned a lot from it. got to work in a team environment. Had a lot of fun doing it. Would recommend this job for anyone looking to build their career.
Great Place to Coach
Coach (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 11, 2017
SkyHawks is my first coaching job and gave me all of the tools I would need to be successful in youth sports. Management was great and alway willing to help if there was any type of issue. Only worked in one school for two hours a week.
Productive and outgoing place to work
Director/Coach (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 9, 2017
Everyday was different. You would meet new kids and all different fun personalities. Our goal was to teach life skills through athletics, and i think i did that!
Great Place to work while in college
Program Coach (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJSeptember 29, 2017
Skyhawks provided me with an opportunity to play sports with kids while going to school. I am grateful for the opportunity and thoroughly enjoyed working with Skyhawks.
Have to like kids
Coach (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 29, 2017
Loved the aspect of being able to work outside all day during the summer. Only downside is that all the events are outside and kids can get hear stroke

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skyhawks Sports Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3