SLOAN Employee Reviews

Fine company to work for.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Augusta, AROctober 29, 2018
I believe the company as a whole is a fine employer. The salary is more than competitive for the area, and the benefits are on par or better than the industry standard. The company is undergoing a corporate culture change and is starting to trickle down to the satellite facilities.
Pros
Excellent staff
Cons
Lots of hours
Very productive always something to do.
Concrete Laborer (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SCAugust 10, 2018
Very fun hard job. Always something to do. Managers are rude there. Long hours good pay. Had to watch the equipment for hours one day and we wasn't working that day but I got paid for just watching the equipment. The work is fair and team work is always a plus.
Pros
Pays good. Long hours
Cons
Managers are rude.
Good
Electro-mechanic Technician- Quality Department (Current Employee) –  West Newton, MAAugust 28, 2018
Good to have this job. I had learn a lot for passed 20 years, enjoyed in this work environment all employees here re friendly, easy commute also the company have very good benefits
It’s relaxed
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta, AROctober 2, 2018
It’s relaxing kinda fast pace be on time wear the things you suppose to wear or you will be sent home don’t be on your phone or it’s out the door you go
Very great place to work
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta, ARJuly 4, 2018
Sloan valve was a great place to work with great hours. Co-workers were great as well as helpful. I learned a lot about responsibility working there. I learned a lot about sand mold and metal castings
Ball Mill,Core setter, and Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Augusta, ARJuly 23, 2018
They are a great place to work just stressful and not understanding at all. The pay is great though amd some of the people are friendly. My supervisor was great.
You can where shorts in the summer time. When it's really hot.
Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Augusta, Ark.April 29, 2018
A very good place to work. The salary is very good. People are friendly and will help you out if you have any questions. Human resource has a open door policy you can always come to them.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
The 30 minute drive to and from work.
Overall is good.
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILApril 15, 2018
Close to chicao Ohare. it is Nnear hyway. All manufacturing done in the united states. Close to residential area for low wage workers. Close to stores. There are nurses present in the facility to take care of some health issues, like cold.
Pros
near chicago
Cons
noisy and dirty
working at sloan
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Indian Trail, NCFebruary 5, 2018
sloan is a very nice place to work i learned alot at sloan i learned how to operate d6k cat dozer a motor grader and learned more skills on the track hoe i loaded dump trucks with a cat 349 for approx 6 months or more we work from 7a.m.-6p.m. monday-friday and 7a.m.-3:30p.m. on saturdays
Pros
401k healthcare and pay
Cons
formen have lack of knowledge
Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILMay 28, 2018
Many good people, but has become a bully culture at the top, and a Boys Club. Great products, people working hard toward targets, with much of the work going unrecognized.
Staffmark Temp (Former Employee) –  Augusta, ARJanuary 6, 2018
Typical day would be going in at 4 in the morning and when I get off the phone or in the afternoon the hardest part of the job was when the equipment went down for a lot of down time
Pros
Good money
Cons
Having to go off campus to smoke
Co-workers looked out for each other
Titanic Exhibit Actor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 15, 2017
A nice place to work, all the lower level co-workers were extremely friendly and helped each other out a lot. I learned a lot about how to talk to customers in a relaxed but professional manner.
Pros
45 min lunch break
Cons
Work schedule never came out on time
lack of opportunity to get advanced in my job
Sales Technical Asst Database Contract Management (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILSeptember 7, 2017
Good company, but less opportunity for advancement of my career. Management focused more on business strategies but less chances for better opportunity for employees.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILAugust 3, 2017
Sloan Valve company is an awesome place to work. Ran by the union. Has a variety of positions available in the warehouse. An employee should never get bored working here..
Pros
Cafeteria in Workplace
Cons
Union in the building..
Really wanted to improve productivity
Start Up site Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2017
Smaller company and family owned. Allowed for very forward thinking and planning for company performance and improvement.

Very open to suggestions for maintenance, machine, and process improvements. really wanted to change their culture.
Pros
Open to suggestions and improvments.
Cons
Problems in dealing with unions at very small plant
Productive and friendly environment
DESIGN ENGINEER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILMarch 14, 2016
As an intern at this company I learned a lot. Everyone that I encountered was extremely friendly. I learned from all my peers. I worked as hard as I can to help the company, and they really appreciated it. I would do various tasks for this company, sometimes I would be modifying some cad files. On other days the fellow interns and I would be running test on product to see if we can make a product more efficient. Through these test that we did with the valves, we did just that. Made some product more efficient, management was very pleased with us.
Good place to work for treated with respect
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILNovember 6, 2012
A typical day at work was updating time reports and handling correspondence as it came in. Creating and editing of instructions for the use of a new program. Sorting and distribution of mail to the department. In prior years relieving of the receptionist for coffee breaks and/or lunch.
Hands on training in new software programs to help in the performance of the job.
Communicated well with management to get information needed to complete work being done. Co-workers were friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with others to get a project done.
Pros
exercise room, good healthcare benefits
Employees worked together helping one another
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYDecember 21, 2012
A day at work was working together with other representatives as a team, everyone there made it easier and productive because of the way we all worked together.
Management was great and always listened and made us feel as important as our clients.
At this job there was no hard part it was great.
The most enjoyable was how the company made all of us feel very much part of the main office located in Chicago.
Part-time office assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 11, 2013
I assisted with incoming calls, faxes, prepared and entered commission information for 5 outside salesmen. It was a very busy office and warehouse. As a manufacturers' representative, The Sloan Company and Sloan Warehousing, represented over 30 factories for heavy duty trucks and tractor trailer rig parts. There was an abundance of calls each day, and sometimes it was very hard to find a time for lunch or breaks. I also, entered the previous shipments each day and forwarded the applicable paper-work to our manufacturers by fax. I dealt with the sales departments for each factory and obtained freight information for shipments.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no insurance and no paid time off, an out-dated computer system
Good Foremen, Great working conditions and oppurtunities to advance
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILJune 11, 2014
• A typical day at work: Check jobs currently running for accuracy, check coolant, oil and grease levels.Get blueprints and stock start planning job locations prepare tooling. Do setup work as required and maintain machines part quality throughout shift.

• I learned how to work on a large variety of CNC machines.

• Management: Good foreman easy to get along with and knowledgeable.

• Coworkers: great bunch of guys couldn't ask for better group to work with.

• Hardest part of the job: running into machining and programming problems

• Most enjoyable part of the job: The satisfaction of fixing machining and programming problems and the satisfaction of improving processes.
Pros
Good people work enviroment
Cons
No air conditioning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SLOAN. Our community is ready to answer.