Slurry Pavers, Inc Employee Reviews

Poor management, very stressful environment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 4, 2019
Management is very racist and harasses employees. Employees are overworked and it is a very stressful office environment. Not worth the pay when everyone is miserable.
Pros
Decent pay & flexible hours
Cons
Overpriced insurance and poor coverage
very good company
General Labor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2019
i liked working at slurry .just haded to pull other mens slack on job.other then that it was great to work for slurry paver .got great houra in .work from daylite todark .really miss working there would love to go back to work with slurry for the local crew .gary farmers crew
Pros
labor
Cons
life insurance
typical fun day at work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 11, 2018
at slurry pavor was a fast passed job but it toot me how to work if a fast manor but safe way the management was great they treated us with respect but they made sure we all did our jibs right. the hardest part of the job was dealing with all the motorest that didnt pay attention to use working on the roads.The part of the job i loved the most i got to travel around and see different parts of the states.
Pros
free hotel rooms
Cons
had to stay away from the family to long
I was by myself most of the day
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 7, 2018
It wasn’t a bad job at all. I r sat in my loader all day pushing up stone that a stone company was being for the slurry then I would run it through a screaning plant then I would load it into our trucks that went out to the paver.
not a terrible job but be aware
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 29, 2018
i worked for slurry pavers for many years and held various positions from lowboy hauling to traffic foreman. its not a terrible place to work at as long as you get on the RIGHT crew. there are a few there you dont want to work for . ask around and it wont take long to find out whom they are. plan to be gone sunday afternoon to late friday evening unless they make you work a weekend then plan on 13 days away from home. paid every friday. you will have to share a room with someone else. the drinking seems to be a issue off the job with laborers so if you end up with one of them its not gonna be good. work lasts from march till November unless your fulltime. its a descent job with fair money but if you need more hometime then its not for you. work mostly in Maryland, north Carolina, south Carolina and Virginia. the work is stable but weather dependent. I got tired of working out of town is why i left.
Pros
paid each friday, descent insurance
Cons
no lunch break, little hometime
very racially motivated
driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 9, 2018
this company hires very racist people,always blaming the white man for this or that. negative atmosphere.requiring you to stay out for 2 or 3 weeks at a time when they scheduled 1 week.no per diem,nothing.
Dilapidated equipment
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Different areasSeptember 20, 2018
Favoritism plays a big role within this company,and not having a fair boss on the job didn't help matters ,pay wasnt too bad other then be cheated out of ride time through your boss,and fraternizing with female workers was noticed through coworkers was WELL noticed...
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unfair in many ways
I liked the job but it’s not worth the stress sometimes.
Labor Worker (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDAugust 20, 2018
A lot of hard labor isn’t that bad but doing it for two weeks straight in 100 degree weather, and being short handed, and none of the higher ups doing anything about it because they’re in the AC relaxing while we slaved our lives away 12-14 hours a day.
Pros
Great pay checks.
Cons
Treat the workers like dirt.
Great job, just poor management.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 16, 2018
It was a great job, but communication as far as management to lower employee role lacked to be on the same accord. Bosses did not care about health issues, nor did they care about safety. Bonuses were the biggest factor for them so training had to be a responsibility of someone of lower level.
Excellent work environment
Paving Laborer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 24, 2018
Great job, has to like working outside. Great training and communication skills. You must also love to travel but home every weekend. Great pay and benefits after 90 days.
Labor
Laborer Worker (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 24, 2018
I liked the exercise with this job deffinetly on your feet constantly. the hardest part was mopping slurry wich is the asphalt coding for the highway. work place the enviroment was hot but than days very rainy.
Pros
paid motel
Cons
short breaks
Travel to diffrent places.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 19, 2018
Some places I had never been. To see some of them was nice. The hardest part was being away from home. Sharing rooms with other employees was a first for me.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
being away from home
Good
CDL Class-A Driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 13, 2018
Working for Slurry Pavers, Inc is an interesting experience. All they ask is you do your job, show up on time and stay out of the drama, because we all know there is drama in every workplace.
Pros
Good Pay!
Cons
Little home time.
Good environment, nice people to be around and easy to communicate/receive instructions
Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Dunn, NCJanuary 31, 2018
A typical day working with the company is pretty maintainable. From working with this company, I learned the rules of the road and how to make cars travel safely while the equipment is on the road. The hardest part about the job may all depend on the weather. The most enjoyable part of the job is the crew and how they are determined to help you if you are in need and also the supervisor did a fantastic job with keeping the pace just right.
not the best for family
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 25, 2017
out of state work away from family work not real hard but no organization fly by the seat of pants company. More organization would have made the job more enjoyable
Fast paced, physically demanding
Laborer, Paving Foreman, Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 3, 2017
Travel often, 10-12 hour days, I learned how to operate and apply slurry, I drove trucks to and from sites. I also learned crack sealing. The most difficult part of the job was the heat. I was paid on a weekly basis.
Pros
Weekly good pay
Cons
The heat outdoors
Bad management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 15, 2017
Employees think that they are charge sometimes or have more power than they think. No lunch breaks. Its extremely hot plus extra heat off the machine.
Pros
Company vehicle to take you to work
Cons
No perdium when you're out of town. Hot or cold, never know where youre going to end up at or when you get off.
Nice place to work and the people are great
Front End Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 5, 2017
I love the job and environment just hate being away from home so much. The pays not bad. There's always something to keep you busy. The saftey rules are great and everyone helps each other.
Pros
Paid hotel
Cons
No time at home
Fun work place
Crack sealing (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 28, 2017
I love the environment of the job.. good people to work with.. the people treat you wonderful. It's always hours given. Every week I was doing 50hrs plus
Pros
Free food etc.
Cons
Short breaks
A good company to work for
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Virginia, Maryland, North CarolinaAugust 6, 2017
They are great to work for and a good work environment but it's very hard on the home life the pay is good but the hours very from low to high and vice versa but they do give you at least thirty hours so if it rains all week you get something and it is a seasonal job
Pros
A ride to work in a company van
Cons
There is no perdeam

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Slurry Pavers, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.