Smart & Final Employee Reviews

Having a productive day.
Laborer, Smart 'n Final (Current Employee) –  Yuba City, CANovember 16, 2018
The typical day is loading and unloading the trucks and stocking shelves. I learned in management that leading a crew is hard when you don't have a crew that's willing to work. The hardest part of the job is finishing the shift at a decent time of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job socializing with the crew members and getting the job done.
Pros
Me moving up to the manager position in a short period of time.
Cons
Working long hours and still not finishing what needed to be done.
Unorganized, Busy days.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Azusa, CANovember 10, 2018
Unorganized, hours were not consistent. You can't depend on getting good hours. Poor management. Type day as a cashier, handling money and working with people. Hardest part was controlling lines with no help from other cashiers walking store or management.
Pros
10% discount card, 401k
Cons
Not enough hours to life comfortably. Don't treat everyone with same respect.
Not a good company to work for.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Victorville CANovember 9, 2018
Never enough help or coverage. Women working alone at night . Push comes to shove no honest management , allowed to yell and scream at you in front of others, Corp will not help you let alone hear your side of the story. After 15 years company went down hill every since the sold it to share holders. No longer a great company to work for.
Pros
Pay rate is real fare highest paid 22.00 hour
Cons
Cant trust management nor have corp on your side. No hours.
it was very un-orgnised
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 8, 2018
honestly it wasn't a very fair place for workers.they should focus more on giving workers better hours then just hiring new people.it had cool people but very stressful.
The company was good once upon a time
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  smart and finalNovember 8, 2018
Ive worked for smart and final for a while and when I started it was great. I moved up, I was getting good hours and pay, associates were awesome as well as the managers. time passed and all of that changed. the company was going in new direction and that made everything wrong. more and more associates were being hired little advances were given out because of it, hours were scarce, and if you want to survive in CA you're going to need 2 jobs if you work here. Managers were allowing so much wrong to happen all around the store from lazy associates never getting in trouble, keeping hard workers from advancing, never listening to associates with have constructive criticism that would benefit the store and company over all. LAZY. this isn't just "a" store because I've worked at many, even working at the corporate office for 2 years and this has been all over the company. Only select family members of high ups get the perks of staying and thriving here people. Since working here I was propositioned to advance several times but was denied because the store I was currently working at didn't want me to leave and have to go through any process of finding someone to replace me. it was a compliment in a way but those positions would have helped my future and life. I ask and I am always told I am needed where I am and the next time I will get it. Hollow words to me now, which is why I'm here on indeed, to find a better place for me, that will reward hard work, listen to ideas, have advancements for those who want it and deserve it, and don't turn a blind eye to things that are wrong for  more... any reason. Ive seen so many come and go and if you want to be another number and not a person this place is for you.  less
There's always something to do
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 7, 2018
It was a good job working grave yard but I was supervisor and getting paid the same as a regular worker. Alot of favoritism no communication and everything that was wrong blame night crew
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Benefits a d pay a plus!!
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 7, 2018
Smart and Final is a challenging company to work for. I enjoyed working with a close knit family oriented operation. The job was a lot to handle at times, but that's what makes working there worth it.
My employment at Smart and Final allowed me to enhance my customer service skills.
Customer Service /head cashier/stock clerk (Former Employee) –  Corona, CANovember 5, 2018
My day varied from cashier to head cashier, customer service, stock clerk, store opening manager, to store closing manager. I enjoyed the work environment and the flexible schedule. I ended my day with satisfaction as my duties were completed with positive feed back.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks
Stressful
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CANovember 4, 2018
A temporary job as a service clerk,very stressful and boring.The management doesnt care if the ones who are below them make any advancements,they always give lame excuses if you ask for a promotion,they view you very poorly and demand way too much.
smart and final
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Encino, CANovember 2, 2018
place was okay to work at. job was easy, the customers were fine. took a bit to get promotion, management was ok, workers were cool, employee discount is not bad
Pros
easy
Cons
a bit long for promotion options
very happy with my employment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CANovember 2, 2018
Go in to help manager maintain the high company standards on a daily basis.
Help customers find what they are needing and direct them to purchase what thet have found
Pros
variety and challenge
Cons
It was a great internship
paid internship (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CA 90814October 30, 2018
It was great I wish I could have stayed longer they said I was the best work that was there and they wanted me to work there after the internship ended I just happend to be to young I’m 17 as it is right now
Pros
It was a great workability program
Cons
It ended
I met some great people
Cashier/Department Manager/Ad change (Current Employee) –  San Fernando, CAOctober 30, 2018
It’s a great job to work as a part time employee. I don’t find it to be my career. I am getting a promotion here but I don’t think I fully am engaged.
the job was not that good
Restocker (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAOctober 29, 2018
management was not open to all and did not care about if you had another job.and when i tried to get an understand, it went all wrong.And i had to quite.
Pros
good company
Cons
bad management
Fine
Load Crew (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAOctober 28, 2018
I suppose under the most substantial situations it is adequately under the utmost consideration a place of realtive neutrality in all residing departments.
too much stress and very picky on who they hire.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Fernando, CAOctober 26, 2018
The hardest thing is to keep smiling all the time and always called out by someone which I didn't mind but it was too much for some days are busy and relaxing
Cons
Very productive and supportive work environment.
Loader (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAOctober 26, 2018
The company is very productive and will never find yourself getting bored. Management could be better in terms of actually managing store operations. However they are all still very supportive and nice.
Productive fast pace enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, CAOctober 24, 2018
a typical day at Smart and final is fast paced and friendly we would always be busy wringing up customers putting our go backs away to their aisle. I learned great customer service. Hardest part was transferring. the most that I enjoyed my job at Smart and Final were my coworkers and Management.
Pros
best job
working at smart and final
Cashier, lead of product rotation (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CA 91765October 24, 2018
It was good, my store closed so I got transferred to Diamond Bar but if my original store did not close I would still be there. It was always busy which is good, I liked the fast pace of it, the hardest part of the job was getting used to the overnight shifts. But the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the excellent staff.
Pros
fast pacing work environment
Cons
working overnight shifts and getting used to it.
Productive and Fun Place to work as your first job
Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  Bell, CAOctober 22, 2018
I always had on effective day at work. I always learned something new. If i did not know what to do someone would always help me. I had to work on the weekends as a student. They always helped me with my hours and always helped.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart & Final. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight