Smart & Final Employee Reviews

Great benefits but pay is lacking
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Excellent benefits for full time associates and flexibility with schedules depending on the manager. Hardest part of the job is that you are not able to finish work 100% before a new task or several new tasks are given and this happens daily.
Good to start off
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CA 92627January 14, 2019
Cashier- As a cashier the main problem I had was with the customer. Just about every problem you can think of working as a cashier at a grocery store will eventually happen, but that's just part of the job. Keep front end somewhat clean, stocked with candy and drinks, ring people up accurately, and managers won't give you any problems

Freezer- Wear gloves. Not the ones available there, but like some home depot ones; they will really save your hands from the freezing cold. Pretty simple tbh, just order, stock, and face frozen food, really simple but low hours
Pros
Good people, managers are pretty chill
Cons
Customers, closing managers don't ever seem to be in a good mood
Meats Department
Butcher/ meat department. (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Lucky to see 15 hours a week. You work four or five hour shifts only barely pays for the gas to get to and from, I don't see how anyone stays employed here.
Pros
Nice people.
Cons
Who can live on $250 checks every two weeks.
great place for part time work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  1801 h st. modestoJanuary 13, 2019
if you only want to work one or two days a week this is the place for you. if you are not looking for advancement and only want part time this is the place for you. do not work here if you need a job to support your family. this place provides enough hours for pocket change.
Not a great place to work
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 11, 2019
At this smart and final it is drama filled and you basically are going to be thrown under the bus if you do something wrong. Reciever does nothing for hours. Manager sits in office all day.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Horrible management, hours cut daily
Great overall fun experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  La Puente, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Finished all my hours that were assigned to me and had fun doing the work given to me . Friendly people and good work environment . Taught how to be responsible and how to work at a very active work environment.
Pros
Work, people and environment
Cons
Not to much just more hours to work
Fast paced company to work for
Store clerk/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 9, 2019
A typical day at work was unloading the delivery trucks; stocking shelves; helping customers with questions and other miscellaneous duties as needed. The workplace culture was good at this company.
Its a great place to work just i dont get a enough hours
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJanuary 8, 2019
I went there to work they said i would get 32 or more hours and i havent got as many as they said . I have experince in warehouse and shipping and receving about 20 years or more am single i need more hours to work with its not enough for me thanks.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Not many hours
Stressful with No Employee Care
Load/Stock/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 6, 2019
Don't work there, find a different grocery chain if you must be in that field. Management is horrible, no one users the same rule sets. Random write ups or none, switches store location or job at random.
Pros
Earned sick and vacation, 401K
Cons
A pretty good place to start working. Very fast paced.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 1, 2019
Smart and final has its ups and downs. Didn’t work out for me. A very stressful environment. Working there did help me improve on some skills. Overall great starting job.
great
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 26, 2018
not a great job culture management clearly needs more work in motivating there employees to work and get the best from each and everyone apart of there team
Pros
good pay
Cons
management needs work
The company needs to be better about comocation.
Part time key person in charge (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 26, 2018
Honestly i liked working with the people at the store but the people above the store manger kept changing their minds about everything which lead to alot of unnecessary stress to the job that was already fast paced and stressful.
Smart and Final Extra
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 22, 2018
Very fast pace, each task requires attention to detail. As for the cashiers paying attention to scanning, products is important to keep their job. Management provides detail training to help loss prevention.
Cons
Hours are irregular.
This place is toxic and practices what I call trickle down blame. No manager takes the blame, they just pass it down to the employees
Unloader/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Yuba City, CADecember 22, 2018
Horrible job, no raises after a year, not enough bodies on the job, overtime is not allowed. Management loves to blame everyone else for their mistakes.
Pros
Quiet at night
Cons
Too many to list
Great workers and managers
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 18, 2018
Smart & Final is a great company to work for I don't get all the hours I want but the manager do support me getting more hours they do have benefits with there company
Excellent place to work at
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 17, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Smart & Final. Helping out the store was real fun and easy to work; it was easier to stock and restock while helping customers. I would highly recommend working their.
Pros
Great employers, great manager, and was easy to work
Cons
short breaks
great entry level job where you can learn important skills
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moorpark, CADecember 17, 2018
I was able to apply with minimal work experience and develop several skills, along with a fair wage. I had great managers during my time there and was happy to do my job.
Productive work
LEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 12, 2018
This was a good job, I work there for almost 7 years. I got to travel, and had 2 great bosses. I had great co-workers. I just had a traumatic incident there that made it hard to work there. My store was robbed.
Pros
Busy during holidays and beginning of the month
Cons
to get hours your schedule has to be open
slow pace
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CADecember 10, 2018
i was not allowed to go on the breaks that were suppose to be given to me, i learned how everything works around working in a store, i did not get the proper training that i needed.
Pros
people my age worked with me
Cons
no breaks
Productive Place to Learn
Load Crew (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CADecember 6, 2018
My experiences at smart and final were nothing more than constant hands on learning experience that helps you go about the store in a more fluent way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart & Final. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Smart & Final.

Powered by Comparably