Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

Managers seem to be not qualified for there job do not know what leadership is. They don't support there employees.

I have worked at Smart Foodservice for a long time they do have high turnover and management is not train and in most cases not qualified to take on that role. The company has changed hands a few times and the employees are not treated very well. You come into work and you will be signed to a task or a department to work you are expected to work fast and do other jobs as well. They are not very good with other cultures and people over 40, The hard part about the job you are treated badly and you are never thanked in most cases.

Pros

Cons

lots of discrimination

Poor management, lazy employees

The job is a typical warehouse store job. No opportunity to grow within the company because you get stuck in one position. Managers are allowed to not perform any job duties and assign work to other employees. Managers also verbally reprimand employees by demeaning them and threatening your job. Safety issues galore. Employees are taught to use rolling carts to stock high shelf instead of ladders. Lots of drama unless you are part of inner circle. Intoxication and drug use are constant at the store. Discriminating hiring practices.

Good at the start, got worse as people started leaving.

Everything was going fine at the start with everyone being friendly and showing me the ropes then the corona virus came around which caused about 5 people to leave which made it hard for 4 of us before we got more people during summer and fall. Customers complained about quality of products and lack of service but there was not much we could do at the time. My manager didn't see a problem with what was happening with the warehouses cutting deliveries and the rest of us dealing with the rude customers and explaining why we don't have products.

Pros

Occasional paid lunches from manager, appropriate timed breaks

Cons

Management isn't listening to their employees, quality has not gotten any better

If you are desperate then it might be a good enough job

Interviews and was hired within 2 days on the assumption I would be full time and making 16 per hour as advertised on Indeed at the time. Started and was told I was only hired for 14 and I was only part time as only managers are considered full time. The store manager was vindictive arbitrarily reprimanding associates left and right. Other associates engaged in drama and gossip with a lot of workplace politics as well as the worst nepotism I have experienced at a job. Your hours can be cut at any time for any reason and the company continually promises to make you full time and get you benefits with no intention of doing anything of the sort. Ultimately if you are desperate as I was at the time it might be a good job but do not expect to stay there very long.

Pros

Free lunches once in a while

Cons

Bad pay, unprofessional management, no hours, no advancement

Great place to work if your goal oreinted.

I have flourished at Smart Foodservice. The company is very supportive as well as the store level management. Great benefits package and compensation for your work. I would recommend Smart Foodservice to anyone interested in a career in the grocery industry.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Newest worker is always blamed

Easy money and easy job, just very toxic place. Specifically in klamath falls, the manager always seems to blame the new guy for everything. He lacked communication skills. Always had the worst shifts too 930-630 and you had to clean up everyone else's garbage. Gets upset if you have a small talk with a customers unless you have been there for years. Not worth the stress in my opinion. If the manager retired I would definitely work there but I hear he has 3 or so years and it's not worth the stress.

Determined, Loyality, Integrity, Service and Teamwork

A good, positive work environment, matched with the clientele who shop there. There is a good, strong camaderie between all workers and excellent communication to insure that the customer is well satisfied with their experience shopping there and would definitely make repeat purchases from.

Smart Foodservice

Overall Smartfood is a great company to work for. They offer excellent benefits and encourage further schooling to help you move up within company. They provide employee paid training and management programs.

Good Company

It has great potential for advancement if you are interested in management at a retail location. They pay well, and they are opening a lot of new locations that will need new management that is ready to go when the locations are ready to be opened.

Can not trust

Management has no knowledge of the attitudes of employees and how they discriminate against other employees and customers. Employees that lack work ethic are the norm.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores?

What the job is like

Working at Smart foodservice is a great experience, my co workers are very friendly, they gave me really good training and guidance, and overall a good positive environment.

Decent place to wprk

It was fast paced and almost always busy, with lots of lifting and physical labor. Overall, it was a fun and friendly atmosphere to work in, however they could use more focus on safety.

Productive workplace

Very understanding of personal conflicts. They've been like a second family to me. While undergoing an L&I claim, they've been very nice and understanding of it all.

Cool place. Can get hectic at time.

Cool place and good management. Hard work and can get fast paced but will slow down. Team, management and corporate officials are all really cool and good people.

Horribly managed company

This company is dysfunctional. Management is incompetent, lazy or dishonest and some are all of those combined. Your hard work will not be recognized or appreciated. Don’t believe anything they tell you. This company will use and abuse you as long as it suits them, but you’re just a faceless robot that can be replaced anytime. And don’t expect anything they do or how they do it to make any sense at all.

Backbreaking, unrewarding work in a company that is demanding of your time and plays favorites.

The customers here are probably the best part. Most of them are small business owners and are friendly and courteous and come from very diverse backgrounds. Unfortunately, that's the only positive I have for it. This job asks for a resume in person, when in reality, they want to look at you and visibly assess if you are physically able to do the job and the resume doesn't matter at all, just bring in a cover sheet with at least one job that shows you can do dumb labor. This is a job where you are constantly required to lift bulky objects weighing 35-50. The physical requirements are actually more demanding and dangerous than warehouse work because you have to work around customers who do not care about or follow the same safety standards you are held to, or you are asked by management to work unsafely by standing on carts instead of using ladders or standing on a pallet on a walking stacker to get lifted up to work freight 15 feet in the air. This results in high turnover and accidents. Out of every 5 people they hire, only 1 will make it past the third week and the people who have been there awhile almost all have back problems. Probably the most ridiculous policy has to do with time. Despite my punctuality, I was talked to for once being one minute late and once for 3 minutes. They also have mandatory overtime when they get behind, but at least at the Reno location, if you are ever ahead the store manager will never let anyone leave early unless its one of his favorites. I would only recommend this job to someone young and fit who enjoys physically -

Semi productive workplace depending on if you prefer day or night shift. Great if you can put your head down and work.

Smart Foodservice (5540) is a warehouse store that functions like a warehouse with the ease of a grocery store; Much like Costco. Overall a great place to work if you are complacent, not a great place to work if you like to grow. They offer full benefits, starting pay $14.77, and on the job training. Currently they are in high demand of able-bodied workers. Smart Foodservice (5540) has repeatedly been named the nicest Smart Foodservice Warehouse Store in the PNW. Smart Foodservice is apart of the Teamsters 206 union and union dues of $55 are required each month. The initiation fee is $125 bringing your total for the first month to $170. For the best job experience, come in ready to learn company standards and work uour tail off. Ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for help. Like all jobs it is a learning process. Most of all, this job is for goal-orientated people, not process-orientated people.

Pros

Turkey for Thanksgiving, free gifts for Christmas

Cons

Utter lack of communication.

If you work hard it's a Great place to work!

Great place to work! I would love to work for Smart Foods Service Warehouse Stores again some time in the future and I recommend it to workers who are looking for a great, BUSY environment with awesome benefits, You work hard but you have fun. Good co-workers friendly atmosphere awesome Manager's!

Termination

The management at Cash & Carry are slow to new ideas and are very rarely do hands-on work. They rarely care when an employee is having personal troubles even when it is impending their productivity and well-being. I was terminated after a work related injury.

Pros

Ok Health Care

The Cash & Carry Smart Foodservice Workplace

From a Store Manger's perspective: -6am-5pm Mon-Fri (Sat if necessary) -Cash & Carry Management Development program provided me with the skills necessary to lead a team to success -Manage a team with sales in excess of $10m a year -Payroll programs including Kronos and DayForce -Cash office programs -Proper inventory control -Proper ordering and tracking (including maximizing truck weight) -What is required in a fast paced environment -Customer relationships -The customer comes first -Nothing -Customer interactions and the smile you see on their face once they get to know you. Knowing they are happy because you're their to help serve them; they know you by name and you know theirs makes them excited to come in each day.

Pros

Easy to contact cooperate, Skilled team members, Getting to pick my team members, Great upper Management

Cons

Salary meant having to skip meal periods consistently

waste if years of my life

being understaffed and repeatedly verbally abused non working equipment zero communication any issue regardless of depart is nearest associates fault .

Pros

decent pay

Cons

too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores