SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Found 1,188 reviews matching the search See all 1,215 reviews
The pay is not worth all that is required from this job
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCFebruary 19, 2019
A great place to build clientele! Can be very fast paced and that's where experience is definitely a plus! Working the lease line and upselling product is a must
You have to be strong minded
Stylist (Former Employee) –  West palm beachFebruary 18, 2019
They will try to break you down where i was...telling you the whole store doing bad but not how to improve it. For you to figure it out. But you must have strong skin.
Decent inviroment
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, OHFebruary 12, 2019
Very stressful, when my manager had her baby I was thrown into the manager position and had no idea what I was doing. Liked the people I worked with but didn't love the job.
Pros
Free service and discounts
Cons
Low staff
All in what you make it
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCFebruary 12, 2019
Smart style is a good environment. It is a great place to start off when you are fresh out of cosmetology school. It is a great stepping stone to starting you off into your stylist career.
great company
Stylist/ Asst Salon manager (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCFebruary 6, 2019
love working st smartstyle
has great employees
good hours
shared responsibitiy
room for advancement
great cllients
love my advance learning
love helping other employees advance there skills
Woudnt recommend long term
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GAFebruary 4, 2019
Good place to get started. Cheap company don't want to pay employees. SmartStyle could be alot better company for Stylist, they could DEFINITELY improve.
Meeting new people
Store Manager/Licensed Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXFebruary 1, 2019
Great place to work to meet new people on a daily basic. Enjoyed making the customers happy about their service. Employees where nice and enjoyed the work place as well.
Competitive, Friendly Environment
Salon Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 1, 2019
This is a great place to work when trying to begin or start your career as a hairstylist. It is very competitive, so diligence, patience, and hard work is required to be a success at this job.
Fun Job
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 30, 2019
This is a fun employer and provides a fun work environment. The culture is fun. Just a fun job. Unfortunately the pay is on the lower side and advancing is difficult.
Pros
Fun
Cons
pay is low
"Tried to remain positive"
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJanuary 30, 2019
I worked at this location was really excited but the owner made things unbearable! If you've recently graduated from beauty school or even reentering the beauty industry. It's a good place to learn everything! I definitely took advantage of trying to learn everything because the more a hair stylist knows more money. The hardest part of the job was I could not deal with the owner. I do not like being micromanaged and watched on the cameras. If I wanted to deal with I'd stayed at my office job. The owner whom isn't a licensed cosmetologist at all. They were more about numbers and getting the customers in at any cost. Well, I'm sorry if I complete a hair for $15 and the customer comes in with a coupon for $9.99. I do not think this is fair to the hair stylist. As hair stylist we have to live as well. It's a high turnover rate because hair stylist quit constantly. The hardest part was being watched by the owner and being micromanaged. Especially, by someone who doesn't have cosmetology license and doesn't know anything about the beauty industry. Some days were it would be slow. Get use to opening and closing by yourself. Also, some customers were rude at times and tend to look down on the salon being located inside of Walmart. People can be very cheap at times but I guess that's to be expected. I'm sorry you can hand out business cards all day. But, if the customer is use to going to their own hair stylist. Some customers are not willing to change stylist especially someone they've been going to for years. Hair stylist are paid a little bit above minimum wage and it also goes  more... off of productivity. But, it's all chopped up by the time you receive a paycheck. Don't get me wrong if you can build clientele and they're willing to pay. It's possible to make a good amount. I think the location we were in we had a lot of competition. But, if you find a good location with a good team you can definitely build clientele.  less
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor management, low pay, no benefits, no breaks"
Not a good place to work
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 24, 2019
Management is a joke. Only the favorite stylists get shifts worth working. If you somehow end up with overtime, you are written up for it. If you make less than a certain amount of money for the company, you are not paid commission, only hourly which is minimum wage. If you don't make commission, you are written up for that also. You are expected to not take a lunch but yet you are expected to say you took one so the company doesn't have to pay you for that half hour. More often than not there is only one stylist on shift unless it is considered a "busy" day. You are expected to put away all truck shipments by yourself and take clients and if things are left undone, you are also written up for that too. If you have to close, you are expected to not get paid for time spent closing the shop, and you also have to make the safe deposits with your own vehicle and gas, and you are not paid for that either. If you get robbed when you are making the deposit, the company fires you. What a joke. They care more about their bottom dollar than they do about their clients or stylists. The technical skills you posses are irrelevant. They will hire people not even licensed or signed up to take state boards!
Pros
it's a job?
Cons
management plays favorites, constantly being written up for everything, technical ability means nothing
Fun
Confirm scheduling of clients and staff members (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 23, 2019
Fun place to work
I'm more confident in clipper cuts
I love meeting new clientele
Hardest part is working longer than normal hours
Culture is very adaptable
Unsteady and unorganized.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCJanuary 23, 2019
The place is unclean and the stylists overcharge and have no care for the clients. There was only one time the whole salon was cleaned in the span or 6 months.
Fast paced enviorment
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Bay City, TXJanuary 22, 2019
Typical day at work clocking in and having return clients come in for a cut and style. Handling credit card and cash transactions along with maintaining your own station.
Pros
clients
Cons
rude customers
Horrible hours and low pay
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Bremen, GAJanuary 19, 2019
The hours were horrible and you make minimum wage. The upper management was horrible but you did get discounted products and tools. You also handled inventory.
was a slow location i worked at
stylist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 17, 2019
i was only part time and there wasnt enough business to pay for my gas. I did not stay very long since I was not making enough to put gas in my truck for the drive. Had it been a busier location i would have stayed longer.
Staff was awesome. However was told frequently that the turn over rate was very high.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton/Novi MIJanuary 16, 2019
I had made every goal but one on the 10 months I was there. I asked for a raise but he told me to work harder. He hired a new manager to replace me, but I wasn't told until 3days before she started. Whom doesn't work for him anymore either, in just 4-5 months. He doesn't know anything about hair, just business. He didn't understand the time it takes to build a clientele. Or the pride we take in our work, is why our clients come there instead of going to a place that require you to cut in little time. I would not recommend that kind of harassment to anyone.
Pros
Houly pay
Cons
Management not very busy
awesome
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJanuary 14, 2019
The management is great and the other stylists are great to work with on any given day. I learned more about color and how to manage and use new color.
Its chaos
Stylist / manager (Former Employee) –  Winnemucca, NVJanuary 13, 2019
Working inside of Wal-Mart is crazy. However if u can block out the Wal-Mart part it isn't bad it's a garentees paycheck. With commission on all retail sales
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Told when to work
Fun fast paced place of work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Culpeper County, VAJanuary 12, 2019
Fun fast paced place to work, Flexible hours, great pay with commission. Training classes. Able to move up in the company. Discount on sales and services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight