SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lots of walk-ins
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLMay 14, 2018
You get a lot of walk in clientele. Unfortunately they want quantity over quality. When I was there the location had no manager and only three total employees. Very short staffed.
horrible, stressful, catty, backstabbing
cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMay 14, 2018
smart style is a good place to start after school, but the atmosphere is horrible. The other employees are catty, and backstabbing, it was like being in the first-grade agian.. the manager was very disrespectful to some employees and would not try to help she would just pick sides. the manager would give the guest a pity story to get more tips. she would never take up for a stylist. I would never recommend working for this company. it was so stressful I got ulcers in the three years I worked there. we had thief s in the salon working but as long as they make the company money they can steal money out of the cash register and product.
Good tips and steady paced
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INMay 14, 2018
Learning opportunities are good. Typically a steady pace with potential to gain clientele and make good money. The prices are lower and a lot of walk in services
enjoyable working place
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMay 11, 2018
love working with the customers giving them a new look, management was good to they worked wit you when needed. some times the hardest part was the un happy customers
Pros
able to get our hair done on down time
Cons
no health care
I enjoyed working for the company.
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Severn, MDMay 10, 2018
There was a high turnover of employees and management throughout my employment with the company.

Company went out of business in January 31, 2018 and did not notify employees until last minute in order for the employees to liquidate the leftover retail items
Highly Competitive Environment
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Thomasville, GAMay 8, 2018
A typical day at work was a day to be productive learning the products as to how they work and what purpose they served when you're not busy servicing the clients, I did learn how to be more advanced on upselling products and I took the initiative to get the clients to see why they need to use our products along with their professional service. The hardest part of this job is staying on top of your yesterdays because it's a commission based job, meaning each day you're supposed to sale a certain amount of product and do a certain amount in services each day just to make commission for each day and this only made it hard because I was never able to mee commission and stay on it. If I made commission in a pay period, business would slow down so much making it difficult to keep commission. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the guests and giving them thorough consultations before the service, afterwards watching them light up as they enjoy the service they received.
Pros
50% off products and the opportunity for growth
Cons
I didn't meet commission no matter how hard I worked...
Smart Style
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAMay 3, 2018
I found the company reasonable to work for, as a stylist you are able to build clientele and get discounts on products. You are going to learn how to deal with all clients all hair textures, good start for a stylist.
Pros
Build Clientele, Discounts on hair care
Cons
Short breaks
Was good, then management changed
Stylist (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 30, 2018
The atmosphere here is competitive stressful and not teamwork oriented. Paid minimum wage and very difficult to actually make commission which is 38%. Salon usually has favorites and if favorites do something wrong they will not get in trouble. Stylists don't always do completely professional work also they need to be retrained into how to properly use chemicals on guests. Management know things are done wrong and they are waiting for stylist to find out what not to do by stylist making mistakes on guests.
Pros
Guaranteed minimum wage even if commissions not made
Cons
Unprofessional, hard to make commissions, pay very low, hours and business fluctuate
challenging
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXApril 30, 2018
It was a great job but the manager and other employees made it hard. I loved my clients but my experience with this company did not work well. I would of loved a different team
Pros
discounts
Cons
lack of help
A constant rush around.
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pampa, TXApril 27, 2018
From the time of arrival at work to the time of close the gates would be lined with people. Some days I wasn't even able to get ready for clients before people tried to come in and became impatient.
Pros
I liked getting help when I needed it.
Cons
I did not like having to work every single weekend.
Very small salon. Limited clients
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  New Lenox, ILApril 23, 2018
As a corporate salon it was nearly impossible to make enough money to support my family. The goals we were responsible to meet were unable realistic especially because of the lack of clients.
Pros
It was close to home
Cons
Low pay scale. No room for advancement
Poor management
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAApril 20, 2018
I had a manger that would steal my clients from me and cheat me out of my money. I applied for a store manager position and my manager kept me from getting the position.
full service
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEApril 20, 2018
full service was good management was not good they fault everyone other than themselves and was not a fun environment to be in...hours were ok to work
SmartStyle is an okay place to work.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fort Morgan, COApril 17, 2018
While I enjoyed the variety that accompanies working there, there were too many downfalls for me to continue. There were issues with whoever was closing being left alone for upwards of an hour. This would have been fine if there was a restroom in the salon. There were issues with management and scheduling as well.
family salon
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 16, 2018
Smart Style is a good salon to start and build a career for a new hairstylist that likes the louder atmosphere and sometimes on the weekends faster pace salon.
Pros
corporation
Cons
pay
productive work place
Stylist and Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHApril 15, 2018
I enjoy working with the public. We had a great team at SMART STYLE Rochester .
I loved the free monthly samples
meeting new customers ever day
helping customers get the product they needed
Pros
free monthly samples
Cons
i moved to maine
great workplace with amazing benefits
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Clewiston, FLApril 14, 2018
I couldn't complain. Most of the time I was double and triple booked so I had tons of fun. I loved my work environment and I loved my guests. I couldn't have been more happy but unfortunately the store was shut down which came as a shock to me and the community I served. They were equally as upset. My daily routine was to get in early and open the store, clean up, make sure I had everything I needed and proceed about my day.
Pros
wonderful people, amazing benefits
Cons
understaffed
Fast pace environment.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  TNApril 14, 2018
I've enjoyed working for this company for many years. I have had the opportunity to meet and work with great people. I have been able to grow with the company and receive training in many areas.
Good enviroment to work in
Hair Stylist and Beauty Technician (Former Employee) –  Santurce, PRApril 14, 2018
It is a good plase to work, the company pays close atention to the stylist. The manager is not the "best". Is a super competitive enviroment from time to time where you gotta fight for whats yours.
exited with a good vibes.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoApril 11, 2018
i lern to be a better person lerning by my boos and others profetional in the industrie of beauty.
having the blesin of be a manager in this great companie i always will
be tanksfull.
Pros
great trainings
Cons
exelent in the breack time and policies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight