SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Dont work for this company.
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTOctober 17, 2018
It may be different now, but the management at the time was horrifying. They pawned all their hours on me and made me work alone. At the time I had just graduated, I was new. It was so scary and stressful.
Pros
I was able to do what i wanted to be doing in my profession.
Cons
Very very poorly managed company. All the way around.
upper managemtn issues but great starting salon
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  pasco and richland, WAOctober 16, 2018
Depending on your management team, this could either make or break the productivity of then salon. I think Smart Style corp, is great for stylist just coming into the work place but due to upper management flaw and defects it is unfortunately not a company I would want to work long term for.
Pros
incentive points
Cons
Upper management
Think
Stylist (Former Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 16, 2018
They tell you all this stuff they will do to help you and say you will have the walk in traffic. Say its flexible hours its not, you open and close by yourself, you ask for time off and they dont want to give it to you. They say they are there for you and want to help you with your career but they are just thinking of them self. you have to keep a combo % as a stylist and as a store and if you dont you get talked to and it makes you feel low. Management lets the position go to their head. They dont show appreciation
Pros
nice place to work if you have a good team
Cons
hardly no breaks, hardly no support and brings stylist down
Very Poor Management
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Olney, ILOctober 15, 2018
There were many issues at SmartStyle ranging from the manager not showing up for work to employees stealing from the company and when brought to the manager's attention, no action was taken.
Straight out of cosmetology school
Stylist (Former Employee) –  MississippiOctober 14, 2018
Three years working in this salon I’ve learned a lot but it was from the other stylist around me. Being a stylist is having your own identity and working there theee years I didn’t have that. But a great place to start.
Great place to work and/or intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Albion, NYOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at SmartStyle includes anything that has to do with hairdressing and waxing. You accept walk ins, make appointments, and have fantastic coworkers.
Learned a lot after returning to the profession on a full time basis
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 10, 2018
Enjoyed working with the different stylist who brought something to the table. They made it a fun place to work. Working there helped me improve my skills and acquire clientele. Enjoyed my time there
Pros
Improved my skills
Cons
Turnover
A lot of walk ins
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, TNOctober 10, 2018
The people working there were nice and friendly . They were all very helpful in giving you tips on how to do things. Management was fantastic . And there were a lot of walk ins
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
To far to drive every day
Store with chairs and supplies
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSOctober 7, 2018
Smartstyle was a nice place to work for stylist starting out.It was a great place to work and meet new customers. This is a job that have a great turn over. Most people didn't stay with the company. The pay is not enough to take care of a family.
Cons
Not enough hours or income
Good place to start out
Full time hair stylist (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LAOctober 5, 2018
Smartstyle is a good place to start out as a cosmetologist. If paired with a good crew can be a very enjoyable place to work and learn about your craft.
Pros
Fun environment if paired with a good crew
Cons
You are required to open and close by yourself at times
The owner talks about me behind my back.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  5650 s ChambersOctober 5, 2018
The owner talks about me behind my back. I guess they want to get rid of me. I have been here going on a year. I was the only one here for 3 mos by myself. I guess that's what I get for being so loyal.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Low Wages
I enjoyed my time at smartstyle
Cosmotologist (Former Employee) –  Mullins, SCOctober 4, 2018
I'm my opinion I really think that their employees are well underpaid. They are taking for granted. I think that corporate should be visiting their place of business to find out how they are really being ran. I also think that they should apreciate their employees more than they do
I enjoyed helping clients
Manager (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHOctober 3, 2018
I enjoyed doing clients hair,
waxing clients. I liked coloring clients hair and perming their hair. Overall I enjoyed making clients feel good about themselves.
Pros
make clients happy
Cons
did not feel as if it was a teamwork place to work.
smartstyle
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDOctober 2, 2018
this job is a awesome growth experience to my cosmetology career. I learned so much from my co workers. Hair cutting, Coloring, and etc. We taught each other to help each other grow.
Pros
growth
Cons
not many
performed hair sevices
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TX 78666October 1, 2018
performed hair service sold products very friendly and faced paced work environment. your either slow or busy tips are good and product selling were good
Poor management
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHOctober 1, 2018
Not a good environment at all. The company was more worried about selling products than the customers experience. I felt there was no room to grow as a stylist. There were no classes to continue education hours for renewal of our license. Local manager had favorite stylist and if weren’t it you were singled out .
Low productivity, no benefits, poor management
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLSeptember 29, 2018
The days were slow, scattered clientele or rude clients, bad upkeep towards the store. Some days there were no clients at all, which doesn't benefit the employees in any way. The place overall had a lack of innovation.
Pros
N/a
Cons
bad environment
Terrible Employer
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHSeptember 26, 2018
My experience working this franchise was awful. Terrible pay, terrible manager as well as regional manager and no career advancement. Sadly nothing will be done to change this.
Good place to work if you’re just starting out, staff is excellent
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  West Union, OHSeptember 25, 2018
Very good place to work, honest company, pay could be better. As a new stylist it’s an awesome place to start building a clientele and gain experience. I loved working there.
Easy Place to Work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZSeptember 23, 2018
This is a fairly way place to work. The summers are slow, and the winters are super busy. Be prepared to work on your own if you end up being a closer. usually there is only one person that closes, and you spend the last 2-3 hours working by yourself. Some of the girls that work there are a little catty, and they can be real pains, but the other ladies that work there are super nice and fantastic to work with.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Hardly any time for breaks when busy, and online booking will take up potential lunch breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight