SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Outgoing and Competitive
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company for a very long time. The last manager that I had was a total nightmare. She was cruel and mean and insensitive and I would never ever work for her again. Connie in Maize was the hands down absolute worst manager I have ever experienced in my life. I love this company but the last manager made my life miserable.
Pros
I have always enjoyed working for the company.
Cons
the last manager I had was cruel and mean. She did whatever she could to drive off stylists.
Awesome place to work
Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Thomasville, NCDecember 5, 2018
- cut and styled customers as needed
- learned all different types of different styles
- my manager was awesome
- workplace was friendly and fast paced
- best part of the job is receiving tips
Pros
making tips
Cons
standing up all day
good place to get your start in hair
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIDecember 5, 2018
fast paced, friendly clients and staff, lots of learning opportunities, prizes and rewards for sales a service. opportunities for advancement. In salon training done frequently.
Was a great start for a new hair stylist
Front Office Personnel and Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mocksville, NCDecember 3, 2018
This was a great beginning for a new stylist. The management was poor and unreliable. The environment was not professional. Upper management was no consistent.
Loved working for this company!
Stylist / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Del Rio, TXDecember 3, 2018
There was high traffic through the salon so we stayed busy. The environment was very friendly and welcoming. They offered free continuing education so on our down times we could continue to lean. It was a successful location due to the amazing management team. I definitely enjoyed working with this company.
Pros
The company provides you with everything you need to do your work.
Cons
Scheduling could have been more fair.
Not a good company to work for
COSMETOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 29, 2018
Used to be great, money earning or prize contest all the time, and people who knew about hair led the company. They thought about stylists more. Now its threatening your job constantly, no contest, no prizes, no recognition...& the pay decreased. Not worth it.
Busy and customer interaction
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 27, 2018
Styled hair and sold products in a moderate paced environment. Interact with different ethnicities and backgrounds. Learned a lot about the different products.
Pros
Learned alot about the styling
Cons
Work several hours alone
Good job
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lindale, TXNovember 26, 2018
Love my co-workers and fun work atmosphere would return anytime great management wonderful clients i practice all the latest colors and haircuts available
Unhappy
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLNovember 25, 2018
Placed in a grocery store, their prices are outrageously under the value, catty drama always filled the salon. Not a happy place to work, sometimes people would call off and you would be all by yourself taking care of every single person who came through. You were not allowed to refuse clients, which is unheard of. Im sorry but I know my strengths and dont want to do certain services.
cosmetology- Cutting/Coloring of the Hair , and upscale products
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 24, 2018
Fun meet new & different kinds of people , making them relaxed & feeling good about themselves !!
You have to know the products so you know what the client is trying to accomplish so you must go through several steps to determine the outcome . Knowing if will look best w/clients skin tone .
Pros
Meeting new clients, making people happy
Cons
Low pay
Its been to long since ive actually worked there
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Covington, VANovember 22, 2018
I do not know anything about the current management or what it even has to offer. Prices have increased and I've heard through other co-workers that the commission scale has decreased meaning more work for less pay.
Pros
Steady employment if you choose it
Cons
Work all the time, no family/social life
A great family based salon
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 21, 2018
I love who I work with! It’s always something fun or exciting. The ladies are all very supportive. We receive a variety of different people and challenges to overcome throughout the day. You have to make a name for yourself. Unfortunately they stopped with free continued education. They don’t provide with any of our tools anymore. Unstable hours. You either get paid minimum wage by hours or commission. It’s hard to make a living, the pay and benefits are awful.
Pros
Breaks.
Cons
Pay. Benefits. No raises.
Unorganized and lots of drama with a small, small salary
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Mustang, OKNovember 14, 2018
Plenty of walk ins at busier locations, everything is provided for you, flexible enough for you to bring your own clientele and provide any services you do. Management and pay is awful at corporate locations!! No stylist should make minimum wage. Lots of confusion on pricing especially for higher cost services, sometimes there are issues with product quality or even getting products (color-old toners/colors or missing crucial products out of shipments like perms etc.), tools that are provided are not good
Pros
Flexible scheduling, just bring your tools
Cons
Poor management in store and corporate, commission or minimum wage pay, pricing is too low
regis
Cometogolsit (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 14, 2018
I love doing hair and making people feel and look better. this job would be great if you could keep a scheduled because when you have clients its good if i was their every fri sat sun but they put you all over the place on a floating thing and that would be ok if we were not doing hair
Loved my job with regis corporation!
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Guntersville, ALNovember 14, 2018
Its all about what you put in, what you bring to the table. I LOVED my job and my clients. Things just didnt go as planned. Your retail services play a role. You need to hit commision and you will have it made!
Pros
Relationships i made with my clients
Cons
Standing on my feet for hours at s time.
loved the experience
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2018
Great place to start out or get a break. The clients are fun (Wal-Mart) and most of the people in management were laid back. Your hours were enough but not enough to live.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
poor pay
Flexible hours
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dodge CityNovember 12, 2018
I enjoy working at the salon. I enjoy my clients and walking appointments availability
Goals are hard to reach but are possible. You have to work hard I guess you can say I like the challenge
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Better break area needed
Good for recent beauty school graduates
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Laplace, LouisianaNovember 11, 2018
This is a good place to build clientele for new cosmetologists . They pay is not enough for someone with bills and a family. They should really consider raising the pay.
Horrible place to work
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, OHNovember 9, 2018
I was working around 50 hours a week and going to school my manager called off all the time and I was always called in. Not a good working enviroment for anyone.
Ok place to work
LICENSED COSMETOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Barboursville, WVNovember 7, 2018
Its an okay place to work to start building your clientele, after you get atleast 15 to 20 clients move to a busier salon an you will make great money
Pros
Building clientele
Cons
Slow pace

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight