Smashburger Employee Reviews

Productive fast past
Manager (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJanuary 16, 2019
Very fast pased job the coworkers are all nice and also management was great.if I could I would recommend working at smash burger again. And also lots of opportunities to improve in your position .the pay was great .
From Good to Bad
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 14, 2019
As an empolyee I'd come do what I was told then leave. At first, even on busy days, things would run smooth. More people in the kitchen who actully knew what they were doing, "aces in there places" was the motto. Someone would say that aloud and we were all set up and ready. I loved the rush. Food was being pushed out at 6-8 mins per 4 orders. Everyone helped everyone, we had 30min breaks and everyone got free lunch. We'd all cheer when the rush was over, you could in a sense feel the pride we had in one another. It was very encouraging to do our best, and make delicious food the right way. But after we had gotten new management in 2017 ALL things change, and the turnover rate went through the roof.

Hours were cut drasticly, fousing those with children and families out. Can't pay bills, transportation, feed your family and enjoy life with 300$ checks. We lost all our best employees by spring. It was sad. By time the summer hit, the Convention Center across the street was now built and booked for 5years, so every weekend was busier then a normal rush. With all new empolyees and no one trained properly, orders went out at 30-45min ticket times. With no one caring about their work environment cleanliness became very poor and bugs became a problem. Failing to pay attention to equipment detail due to this lack of maintenance, things started to fall apart. One thing after the other. Without warnings we'd barely pass any audit. It became hard to come to work.

Management kept hiring more unexperienced high school kids. They paid them less and worked them more. Afterall they
  more... were unexperienced, they didn't know any difference. (So I was told) The hand full of experienced cooks we did have, did see a pay rate difference but they got less hours, some had to have two jobs just to make ends meet. And it all came down to the company saving money, and less about the quality of the food.

By Fall 2018, we had a whole entirely new crew, I was the only one left before the choas had started. With the turnover being so high, I had seen 4 General Managers 3 Assistants & 5 Shift leaders, all quit or got fired for ridiculous reasons. I'd tell stories about how we'd use to have a kitchen full of people in every position and how everyone knew how to do prep fast and efficiently. But they'd laugh and joke about it like "..yeah right.. not here.." because the new management wouldn't train anyone past 3days. (When I first started in Jan 2017, I was on dishes for 6 weeks straight, and trained one position at a time, untill I knew everything) One day the GM at the time told me he was quiting and didn't want me to tell anyone, I was unsure why he was telling me. But the next day our District Manager came unexpectedly, set me down and asked if I wanted to be in management. He told me if I took the offer I wouldn't be trained, that I would have to go from A to Z immediately, I was afraid, but the paid offered to me, per hour, had me in disbelief, like '..can we even do that?' As a single mother, I quit my second job and took his offer. Everything went down hill after that for me.

I had no manageral experience. I had no idea what to do or where to start. I was by myself for 4weeks. No assistant manager to help me. No Shift leaders to help train. Someone from the other smashburger had asked me what was my position and I didn't know how to respond, then I was questioned why I wasn't at the training store in Chicago Illinois. I was lost and confused, but worse I was being used. The whole concept of 'Unexperienced High School Kids; Pay Less Work More' was being used on me. I found out I was being under paid for the things I had to endured. I was just supposed to hold the store down without training for 4weeks, meanwhile the GM and AM were in Chicago. I was working 7 days a week open to close with no help, but the pay was worth it. The day the two managers came, I was so relieved. But instead of uplefting me and motivating me, they criticized me for all the things I did wrong or didn't know at all. I was hurt. They cut my hours and I had to get a second job again. With no apprication to cleanliness, quality, time, or detail, the AM quit 2weeks after training I was foused to pick up her responsibilties. They sent someone to take her spot but she also quit right after training same as the last did. By that time I was used to people coming and going, I figured thats how things were going to be. I tried my best to be positive and motivating to everyone. Decorated every holiday, brought treats and gifts for those improving. I trained as much as I could, helped my GM as offened as needed. I'd come do my part with a smile on my face and leave.

One day we were unusually slow, orders still came through Online, DoorDash and Call-ins, I took it my GM knew it would be this way, she only scheduled two new empolyees, I was the only one in front of house. I had to run back and forth to take orders and help in the kitchen when we did get groups of people at a time. (Check all sales for 12/31/18. Store 1580.) Four days later, I was fired for something I was unaware of, I was told 'I was being let go because the system shows the DoorDash was turned off on 12/31/18' with no proof I was told to exit the premises.
Pros
Simple Job. Great Location.
Cons
Management. "The concept of quality over quantity has faded."
Very good worker and i love working for this company.
Prep Cook/Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 14, 2019
I love working at smashbuger just not enough hours.it a very nice place to work and the coworkers are very nice.theres nothing hard about working for this company
Pros
Love it
Cons
Short breaks
Is what it is
Cook (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 13, 2019
It's a decent job was always temporary but I enjoy it there is advancement opportunity though if you work hard enough this is why do I have to type 150
Pros
Easy
Cons
Fast pace
Fast paced, team colaboration, and excelent customer service.
Certified Trainer/Cook (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 11, 2019
Fast food casual. Well priced for location. Great food. Excellent customer service. Fast paced and quick service. Familly like team colaboration. Coupon and law enforcement, military, firefighter, medics, and teacher discounts.
Pros
Free meal, 401k, Paid vacatio, and adavancement within the company.
Cons
Low salary wages, high employee turnover, and takes a long time to acumulate paid vacation.
Has bad management, but burgers are bomb.
Cook (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 10, 2019
As an employee of smash burger, not even a week into my new position, I discovered that the management was not satisfactory for the type of workplace it is. There are no leaders just people that feel like they’re in charge. For being a super busy food joint, you would think they’d have enough employees but it’s always a struggle to have enough employees there for the amount of business they get. In other words, management doesn’t do their part in hiring the right people needed for each position.
Pros
Cons
It will stress you out
Not fun or great
Certified Back of House Trainer, Cook (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 10, 2019
It was very hostile work environment with no hope of advancing. The management and the workers always felt that they did not want to be there. It was just a place I would never go back too.
Pros
frww food
Cons
everything else
Get's you by but gets old
Cashier/Foh (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 7, 2019
When I worked there I loved the people I worked with, for the most part. The job itself it ok, paid decently however people would get hired and quit a lot and so a lot of the times we would be short staffed or have people we couldn't rely on. The job wasn't very hard, we'd have lunch and dinner rushes which wasn't hard to get through as long as the staff that night was good.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Inconsistent staff that wasn't reliable
Na
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dillon, COJanuary 7, 2019
Some positions are tolerable at Smashburger but the majority of everyone in management is working 7 days a week and the majority of those days 12 plus hours
overwork their employees
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dillon, CO and Fort Collins COJanuary 7, 2019
Generally worked 60+ hours a day because I was on salary. Staff was underpaid for their work. Upper management was a revolving door. Hardest part of the job were hours work, most enjoyable was the staff.
Pros
Free meals, benefits with corporate
Cons
No breaks, no benefits with franchise
Great work environment for teens starting out working
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJJanuary 6, 2019
Lots of room for advancement, tips and gratuity included, flexible work schedule, uniforms provided, contest and work incentives, quarterly raises. .
Pros
Flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
Fast food like
Great place to work at
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2019
Being a manager means being on time and insuring that the team members will be showing up. I have to get there early to open the store and start by opening the stations that we need. After more team members show up i run to the bank to make the store deposit.
Productive always had fun shared laughs as well
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 3, 2019
I liked it because their food was so good but the only thing I didn't like is that we had to pay for our lunch. Also the managers that I had they were strict and some were not too strict.
Pros
The pros is that you get discounts on your meal.
Cons
Have to pay for your lunch there.
Overall
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 2, 2019
Overall to working here was a good time. Can be stressful at times when we were busy. Things were organized everything had structure which was nice because it made it easy to follow.
good job
Front of House Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJanuary 2, 2019
very good and fun job very fast pacedI have been working at Smashburger full-time (Less than a year)
Pros
exciting and delightful! the guest love the food! great systems with plenty of direction..
Cons
it's not for shy people. we are literally on stage, putting on a show, every day!
Good Vibes
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 28, 2018
Great place, great people, great ownership. Fast pace environment everything is cooked to order. Nothing there is below anyone what ever needed to be done was doe by anyone who was free weather that be staff member, management, or ownership.
Pros
ownership, management
Cons
understaffed
Typical fast food place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYDecember 22, 2018
Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to a workplace. Occasionally have really annoying customers. Sometimes workplace drama. Overall normal place where if everyone did their work it ran fine. Hardest part of the job would probably be lunchtime rushes or Friday/Saturday night rushes where you'd have non stop customers for a few hours. Pretty draining at times
Pros
discounted food
fast paced lots of turnover always hours to be had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CODecember 15, 2018
was good for a short time but they don't treat employees well and in my time their I had 7 different managers and only my first was a good one the rest didn't care about us
Quick paced but I didn’t like the manager
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYDecember 15, 2018
I had some good times and I had some bad times but overall it was an okay job. the manager was very rude to me by the way.I tried to ignore it as much as I can I just couldn’t do it .
Not enough employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYDecember 11, 2018
There was never enough for employees for the work day. One cashier is not enough for lunch hour. Expected more work from the general manager. Benefits could have been higher as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smashburger. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight