SMG Employee Reviews

SMG Jacksonville
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 31, 2018
SMG Jacksonville is completely separate from corporate SMG (or so we were told). Employees are overworked and underpaid. Turnover rate is high for this reason. Management is unorganized, lazy and out of touch with reality. Most positions are part time and part time employees don't get benefits. They don't even get to participate in the holiday party. This company is in desperate need of diversity and inclusion training.
Pros
laid back most times
Cons
management
hard
food and beverage (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 27, 2018
the job was supposed to be part time. my first month i went from 30hrs to 50. every day i got out later and later. Shifts are 9+ hrs so pleanty of overtime. way too much work for min wage.
i recieved my last check a month later.

only ticket discounts are on the games of the arena and not even center seats.doesnt matter because you work all events. no discount on disney, or concerts or outside events. no parking discount but discount on team store.
Pros
some discounts
Cons
long hours, low pay, ware and tear on body
Aproach with caution
they said customer service but door to door sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2018
the job discription and the actual job I was hired for are two completely different things. I thought id be working as a customer service rep instead I was a door to door non profit representative asking people to donate. You work 12pm-8pm and get paid 50$ daily and then commission off of every donor pledge. if you are good at talking to people and dont mind being outside all night go for it I was just annoyed because I went through 2 interviews and they lied to me I really thought I was going to be in an office doing customer service. they will try to get your interest by spitting out all these numbers and money you could make but really only upper management gets paid good money because they make commission off of everyone under them. good luck i guess
oh and they put me on the spot and made me drive to the neighborhood locations with random people in my car they say theyll give you gas money at the end of the week but it was only 5$
Pros
if you are a good sales person do it
Cons
they lie, the hours, door to door sales
SMG Knoxville
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 28, 2018
Racist boss. A Bully and Racist Operations manager. Upper management has no idea what's going on. HR knows all about the problems, and will do absolutely nothing about them
A HORRIBLE place to work. Soon as i find something else I'm gone.
Pros
Long hours if you want them.
Smg okc
Concessions Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 11, 2018
Not a very good environment to work in. Management in the food and Beverage area needs a lot of work and many classes on how to manage employees. Expectations are way too high for underpaid and overworked supervisors. Managers are very rude and disrespectful to their own employees and to the NPO groups that run the stands. They appreciate nothing, you get no breaks, no food, no bonus, no freebies of any kind.
Pros
Not a single pro about this job
Cons
NO breaks, No Food, No bonus, No free merchandise, Nothing.
Night hours no advancement
Usher/Ticket Taker (Former Employee) –  Saginaw,MINovember 4, 2017
I worked in Saginaw,MI and there is no room for advancement and management creates a stressful work environment. You can choose when to work, but there are not many hours available. There is no real training and you bounce from one area to the other without really knowing what you are doing. Management is stressed all the time making it a hard work environment.
Pros
Being able to see various shows, working a variety of positions
Cons
Night hours only, no benefits, no room for advancement, stressful work enviroment
typical day...most enjoyable part of the job
Print & Digital Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Enjoy the clients and the work. typical day is busy and sometimes stressful. If you are a hard worker you will fit rght in. Fast paced, exciting envirnoment to work in.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
upper management
Bartender
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 22, 2018
You report 1 to 2 hours early to count cups. You must count and document every single plastic cup. There are hundreds and hundreds of cups. Then you count every liquor bottle, the quantity, every soda, every liquid - everything. Doors open for the concert or game - you stand there, mix and pour drink after drink. The drinks cost $9 per beer and $10 per cocktail. People don't tip much if any because of the outrageous cost. Then you have to work with 1 or 2 other bartenders at your station. By the time you split tips at the end of the night you might take home $40 from a hockey game or $60 for a big name concert after working your butt off for 6 hours behind the bar station. It's just not worth it. Go work at a nightclub and make twice or triple.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
low pay, endlessly counting cups
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 17, 2018
Management is rude and treat you like you are trash. They have favoritism and if the manager doesn’t like you he will retaliate against you. Main manager will yell and bully and cuss you. HR won’t stand up for employees
Pros
Workflow
Cons
Hrs, pay, advancement opportunities
Awful place to work
Culinary (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 18, 2018
Poor management that can care less and horrible communication among staff. This stems down to staff not caring about anything. Huge turnover rate. Very disorganized management that lacks any appreciation for their staff. Pay is very bad as well. Don't waste your time here. Worst job I have ever had in my life!!!
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor management
I have seen numerous managers come and go without being promoted. But yet they still rely on me to fill the void left by the people that continue
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, Pa.August 22, 2018
Upper management needs to reevaluate who they have in charge at this facility. The one mgr allows their child to come to work and play on the computers in the offices. They take leftover food home all the time.
Pros
Cons
No employee parking.
Can be fun with the right team members
Public Safety Officer Commissioned (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 18, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Part-time employees tend to make more per hour but they are currently working on that issue. Everything is always changing, so if you don't like change this is not the job for you.
Pros
cheap lunchs or dinners during events
Cons
Pay for work compared to similar positions
good
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LASeptember 4, 2018
I enjoy the hussle and effert we have to put into certain events. I love the fact thy provide free food is always a plus. Just a little unsatisfied with the work flow. When events are heavy work flow is great you can get 17 hours in a day sometimes. But when events are slow work is slow and you might have a few weeks maybe a month inbetween.
Pros
free food and beverages
Cons
lack of hours at times
Worst Employer I’ve dealt with
Security (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 10, 2018
I left my position before I started thankfully. I was threatened by the person who would of been my manager to bring my stuff back immediately or else they would charge me for the shirts. I will never consider this employer for future employment.
Great job fun and entertaining
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Superdome, New OrleansSeptember 29, 2018
I'm trying to get a job there,hope they contact me soon. Fun place to work. Get to see events, sometimes you meet football players, meet,song singers
Pros
Just what I want, part time janitor, work good for me being disabled
Cons
Just don't like being in one spot, like to work in large area's
Productive and fun workplace
Guest Relations (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 18, 2018
A typical day at work is to Sign-in and Clock-in, put my stuff in the employee lounge and locker room, then go to Guest Relations Booth for debriefing , and then to our sign stations and wait for the event to start.
Pros
Events
Cons
Short Breaks
Good Company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 9, 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work at The Hampton Roads Convention Center at all. The management is poor and disgusting especially the housekeeping manager she is unprofessional and the employees have no confidentiality with her. Also the general manager and HR person are very sorry individuals and ghetto. It’s just not the ideal work environment honestly.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Poor management
Stand guard
Guard entryways before, during and after events (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 29, 2018
You stand around all night, watch a gate.... maybe walk a bit. Sometimes you throw a drunk out... thats about it. Seeing shows for free is the only benefit.
lack of good management
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 26, 2018
The management could use some work for lack of better wording the pay can be better for the amount of work that is give to works and not the amount but the process the employees have to go thru to get it done.
Pros
events and shows
Cons
late nights
it's a mess over there
Guest services (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 2, 2017
you haven't been trained for the job they just throw you out there and expect you to know what to do. The supervisors walk around the whole time and don't stay where they suppose to be. you have to watch for your email for jobs to work, that's if you get picked to work because the people have favorites and they always use the same people to work the events. I don't know who be giving long breaks because breaks are 15 minutes for 4 hr. workers and 30 minutes for people who are taking a lunch break.They are always ready to send you home early and they want you off the clock but, when there is something going on and they need you they always asking you are you gonna stay. No benefits because it suppose to be a part-time job. I haven't worked in months because they people pick who they want to work and they keep on hiring so, why are you hiring so much and nobody really stay. If you would act right by the people you already have maybe you will have enough people where you won't have to have a job fair every 3 months.
Pros
the people that are coming to the events makes you happy
Cons
no moving up, they have their picks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMG. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight