SMG Employee Reviews

Very good job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 23, 2018
It was a very standard job but not too stressful. Good people were employed and there were good managers too, very good place to have an internship. Gave me a good idea about the workplace.
Awful place to work
Culinary (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 18, 2018
Poor management that can care less and horrible communication among staff. This stems down to staff not caring about anything. Huge turnover rate. Very disorganized management that lacks any appreciation for their staff. Pay is very bad as well. Don't waste your time here. Worst job I have ever had in my life!!!
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor management
good
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LASeptember 4, 2018
I enjoy the hussle and effert we have to put into certain events. I love the fact thy provide free food is always a plus. Just a little unsatisfied with the work flow. When events are heavy work flow is great you can get 17 hours in a day sometimes. But when events are slow work is slow and you might have a few weeks maybe a month inbetween.
Pros
free food and beverages
Cons
lack of hours at times
Bartender
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 22, 2018
You report 1 to 2 hours early to count cups. You must count and document every single plastic cup. There are hundreds and hundreds of cups. Then you count every liquor bottle, the quantity, every soda, every liquid - everything. Doors open for the concert or game - you stand there, mix and pour drink after drink. The drinks cost $9 per beer and $10 per cocktail. People don't tip much if any because of the outrageous cost. Then you have to work with 1 or 2 other bartenders at your station. By the time you split tips at the end of the night you might take home $40 from a hockey game or $60 for a big name concert after working your butt off for 6 hours behind the bar station. It's just not worth it. Go work at a nightclub and make twice or triple.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
low pay, endlessly counting cups
I have seen numerous managers come and go without being promoted. But yet they still rely on me to fill the void left by the people that continue
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, Pa.August 22, 2018
Upper management needs to reevaluate who they have in charge at this facility. The one mgr allows their child to come to work and play on the computers in the offices. They take leftover food home all the time.
Pros
Cons
No employee parking.
Ungrateful, narcissistic management
Guest services (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 21, 2018
Worse company ever. Production manager makes fun of you, says races jokes to employees, is a pervert. Smg knows this but they turn a blind eye. Horrible.
Cons
Can be fun with the right team members
Public Safety Officer Commissioned (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 18, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Part-time employees tend to make more per hour but they are currently working on that issue. Everything is always changing, so if you don't like change this is not the job for you.
Pros
cheap lunchs or dinners during events
Cons
Pay for work compared to similar positions
Aaaaa
Stage Hand (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 16, 2018
It’s fine it was ok it was easy it was cool it was amazing it the best place I have ever worked so it is ok to go there I guess it’s outside all the time
Racist
Supervisor of Concessions I (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 4, 2018
I was treated very badly by the people who work at this company because I have a disability. working for this company made me sad.I so called the manager .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad for your heart
Fun workplace
USHER SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 25, 2018
SMG is a fun and friendly work environment. You get to interact with a wide range of people from all over the world. Working here is like having a family away from home.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 17, 2018
Management is rude and treat you like you are trash. They have favoritism and if the manager doesn’t like you he will retaliate against you. Main manager will yell and bully and cuss you. HR won’t stand up for employees
Pros
Workflow
Cons
Hrs, pay, advancement opportunities
na
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 16, 2018
no room to advance, minimum wage less then desirable co-workers either way to hot or way to cold. flexible schedule. helpful bosses and sometimes a free meal.
Hard job and easy job at times.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 2, 2018
Hard work because you are in the weather elements whether it be hot or cold, or raining, etc. Days can be long and some days can be as short as four hours.
Pros
Lunches during Jaguar football games
Cons
weather and breaks can be a problem
lack of good management
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 26, 2018
The management could use some work for lack of better wording the pay can be better for the amount of work that is give to works and not the amount but the process the employees have to go thru to get it done.
Pros
events and shows
Cons
late nights
Its a fast pase job jeep your head focused and all is well
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 26, 2018
This job is not for people looking to have preeminent security its more of a seasonal work environment when the seson is off everything is slow and many deparrments adw out of work but wgen the seson is in bloom there is pleanty of hrs and it is very hectic
SMG Jacksonville
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 31, 2018
SMG Jacksonville is completely separate from corporate SMG (or so we were told). Employees are overworked and underpaid. Turnover rate is high for this reason. Management is unorganized, lazy and out of touch with reality. Most positions are part time and part time employees don't get benefits. They don't even get to participate in the holiday party. This company is in desperate need of diversity and inclusion training.
Pros
laid back most times
Cons
management
Smg
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 25, 2018
Smg is a great place to work. Full of energy, great people and you can experience great events take place. Awesome place to work. Wish they paid more and gave out more hours.
I love my job
Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 21, 2018
I love my job it’s great so is my Coworker’s and the managers are very assertive and direct I have experience car show,flower show also tattoo convention and a lot of othe shows two thumbs up 👍🏿
Good Company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 9, 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work at The Hampton Roads Convention Center at all. The management is poor and disgusting especially the housekeeping manager she is unprofessional and the employees have no confidentiality with her. Also the general manager and HR person are very sorry individuals and ghetto. It’s just not the ideal work environment honestly.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Poor management
Great work place and fun
cashier\parker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 17, 2018
It's been a long time since i worked for SMG. At the time that i did work there it was you got to meet a lot of different people. It was a steady paced job and everyone was friendly. I will tell everyone i know that needs a job. SMG will be a great place for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMG. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight