Smile Brands Inc. Employee Reviews

Poorly run with bottom line as only goal
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2018
The organization is poorly run. They have people in management who are too inexperienced and whose only motivation is to meet their budget at any cost. Favoritism ran rampant. They pushed doctors to do more expensive treatment like crowns rather than do a filling even if that would have sufficed. They bonused management and doctors based on them bringing in money and staying on budget and patients mattered little. Staff was overwhelmed and overworked. Had such an old computer scheduling system it was laughable. Dental assistants were way underpaid. Raises were two to three cents per year. It was embarrassing when I had a rockstar employee and could only offer them a19 cent raise. Hours were awful. Understaffed, so hard to keep good staff because they were overwhelmed. Some offices were ok but so many I saw were dirty! Staff would leave used scrub jackets in the lunch room. Staff walked to the front in dirty coats. I was handed a chart with blood on it once! I had to make the dentist take it back.
Pros
Could get your dental care there
Cons
Overworked and unrealistic expectations from upper management
About castle
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 10, 2018
The raise suck to be yearly. Working there I don’t get 80 hours a week. The higher manager is RUDE!!!! If you travel it have to be over a hour for you to get paid. So if you drive to a location for a hour and 10 minutes, you will only get paid for that 10 minutes
Always important to smile
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Their goal to make the people comfortable and get the service they are asking.

Patients also like it when they are reminded of their upcoming appointments.

The atmosphere there is nice and quiet. Very pleasant and the staff are very nice.
Pros
nice not stressful
Cons
Not enough hours
Love working here
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARSeptember 19, 2018
I have great people above me to learn from. I can definitely advance with this company when I’m ready. I enjoy working at Monarch Dental in north Little Rock.
Pros
Great dentist and management. Friendly staff
Good environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Truly enjoy working here
Giving back to the community is important , especially through Smile for everyone foundation , noble charity
There is acknowledgment and recognition especially during performance reviews
Benefits
learn as much as you can and advance or get out
Chairside Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Many of the staff have been employed there 20 - 25 yrs...as the same position.
Needs total system update of office computer systems.
still uses paper charts w/ " red and Blue" charting
needs a lot more marketing and management incentives and guidance . .
Pros
earn paid time off every pay period, got your teet cleaned for free
Cons
insurance was too high, computer system still on MS DOS
Pathetic place to work
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 6, 2018
Very poor management that is still in place.. Good clinical dentist let go to replace with new grads with poor clinical skills. During the 16 years I was there ,new dentist came in every 2 years and as an experienced hygienist, I was expected to train and promote them to my long time patients. It was increasingly difficult to look patients in the eye and support this company. When I left ,after 16 YEARS, no one i.e. management had anything nice or encouraging to say to me. I am soooo happy to be out of this situation. Oh and during my time there ,my salary was reduced and the impossible bonus system was put in place. That was the final nail .
Benefits
Cons
Pay and management and criminals for dentist
to stress full for just a treatment coordinator
Patient Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2018
was a very stress full place to work , i love the patient and the Dr. we have but management was never available when need it i always was the one trying to find a way to please the patient in any concerns they may have and I only was a treatment Coordinator
no advancement
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 28, 2018
No opportunities to grow. Employees who work hard do not get recognized and they get more work. Employees who slack off do not get accountable for and all they do is complain.
good place for experience but nothing more.
Dental Assistant-Externship (Former Employee) –  League City, TXAugust 13, 2018
I was only an intern with this company and the 2 months I spent with them was horrible. The management was causing so much drama within the office. The dentist was amazing.
Good people, not enough hours
RDA (Current Employee) –  AustinTXAugust 7, 2018
I currently work here and enjoy the culture. The doctor, front desk and assistants all communicate very well. My office is well organized, and put together. I am fairly new in the field and have thrived at this location. Everyone is willing to help and answer all questions and make sure you understand well. Biggest negative is not reaching a full 40 hr work week and the company standard of having the call centers promise cleanings to new patients every time really upsets a fair majority of new pts.
Pros
Communication, fun environment, learned a lot
Cons
The call center cannot schedule for the life of them, not reaching full 40.
Terrible!!
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 3, 2018
Poor management!!!!!! ALLLLL DMOs do are look at spreadsheets and create unrealistic # expectations and inaccurate reports based on such a terribly dated system. (Stupid thing can't even pull a report of what 2×2 equals accurately) RIDICULOUS to think you can run a thriving business on terrible statistics as stated!!! CORPORATE NEEDS TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN WHAT THEIR CROOKED DMOS ARE DOING!!!(Or maybe they don't give a flying hoot) The way the east market is being ran, it won't be long before the entire market comes crashing down. These inaccurate reports are a way to cover a sinking company while padding upper managements pockets!!! The employees that bust their tails, only do so to allow upper management to receive bigger bonuses cutting the "worker bees" quarterly bonuses to NOTHING!!!!! You aren't even allowed to order supplies needed to efficiently run an office or DENTAL CLINIC due to such low unrealistic budget expectations!! (If you stay within budget, managers get a bigger bonus)! What type of dental clinic have you EVER walked into that isn't even allowed to give their patients mouthwash to use after brushing???? MONARCH DENTAL!!!! These people need to get a grip!!! DMOs give EXTRA (bribery) bonuses to supervisors for OVERWORKING part-time staff...All while giving the other full time employees, that rightfully helped make those numbers ZERO!!!! Way too many duties for 1 person, they want to work their employees EXTREMELY understaffed but expect them to have ZERO overtime!!! Again, UNREALISTIC!!!
Double standards like no other!!! So many family members, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends
  more... of family members, its ridiculous! They don't pay the people that are required to travel properly and refused to do so 2 years ago, even after corporate informed certain DMOs time and time again of proper procedures for travel. (They do what they want)!!! You can trust any of them, including their fake glassdoor review, Google reviews, ect. At one point office managers were getting a kickback just to have their employees to write a good company review!! Things need to change before this one market ruins this entire company!!!  less
Pros
I loved my patient's!!!!
Cons
Smile while your dying inside
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 15, 2018
OMs act like deities.Went through two. Favoritism is huge.Needed the job and loved my patients.HR created Retaliation. Nothing confadintal. Unprofessional.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Hostile work environment
July 31, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We take your comments very seriously and invite you to share your confidential concerns with us at We.Listen@smilebrands.com. We want to ensure you feel safe in your work environment and will do everything possible to help you feel comfortable and secure.

i am thankful for the experience and time i had with the company.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 13, 2018
Smile brands provided me a chance to grow in the company unfortunately at the end i felt not supported by them.

My team was a very close team and worked well together. the doctors are involved on all activities and patients. It was best when we had patients that we completed and to see how happy they were and thankful.
August 2, 2018

We sincerely appreciate your review, but so sorry your time with Smile Brands came to an end. Our goal is always to ensue our Field Leaders, employees and providers feel supported and have what they need to create the best working environment possible where patients receive the best care possible. Thank you for your gratitude and making a difference in the lives of the patients you helped serve. Best of luck to you!

Don't work here if you value your moral and sanity
Clinical Staff (Current Employee) –  ConfidentialJune 27, 2018
Too many tasks to do in a short period of time. They care more about bringing in the money than the actual patient experience. No support from management on clinical staff issues.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Stress from management. Made me feel like worthless. Too much drama and cliquey.
July 10, 2018

Dear Employee -

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback concerns us and I would personally like to speak with you to understand what is happening with your local management Team that causes you to feel unsupported. We strive for everyone to enjoy the work they perform and the camaraderie with their Teams. We value our culture and expect this at all levels from all employees and affiliates. We want this for you too. Please reach out to me directly at tanisha.wicker@smilebrands.com. You can email us at welisten@smilebrands.com if you'd like. I would love to hear from you.

Tanisha Wicker
Senior VP, Human Resources

My particular office was good but I dislike the company as a whole.
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2018
You have to work really hard and fast in order to earn your paycheck. If you don't have a good support team at your particular office, you'll be miserable.
August 2, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, although we realize our company is not a fit for everyone our field leaders do take pride in building strong and motivating culture within the dental offices. We thank you for your feedback and welcome additional details you feel may be helpful, please email us at We.Listen@smilebrands.com

okay
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2018
didn't work here long enough to leave a good review. short time i was there, was nice, stayed busy. the office i was at was a little old, but manageable. i also traveled with the doctor i was assigned to.
Pros
pto, health benefits
August 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Although brief, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Smile Brands. If circumstances allow and if you are interested in other opportunities with us across the country, visit us at jobs.smilebrands.com.

Best company I’ve worked for in my entire life!
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJune 13, 2018
This work environment is what I call home. Smilebrands are the best employer hands down! They company offers a yearly paid business adventure to Texas for all operations managers.
August 2, 2018

We are happy to hear you consider Smile Brands your home and that you find the Annual Leadership Meeting in Dallas, TX valuable! We truly strive to make our meetings robust and full of rich clinical, business and people tools and learning you can share with your team and apply to your practice.

Great Place to Work!
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 7, 2018
I really appreciate the collaboration between departments here. I know I can always ask for help or input from anyone, and everyone wants you to succeed! I also love our bi-weekly huddles where we get to hear more about what each department is up to and Celebrate Everyday Miracles as a team.
Pros
Great corporate environment
August 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time in leaving a thoughtful review to share your experience at Corporate! We love our collaborative culture too and happy that you find our bi-weekly meetings valuable, we truly strive to make it a great place where employees enjoy coming to work!

Great at first, then depressing after corporate philosophy changed.
Registered Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 6, 2018
We had good teamwork and naturally worked well together for a few years. The hygiene chair was seldom empty. We were solid, helped each other, and were friendly. We laughed and ate together often. After the last corporate change, their was a severe sudden short staff of employees. Included were new regulations, which gave all team members much more required work in the same or less amount of time. The past management and current management had little knowledge of dentistry. The managers did not manage but gave lots of time off to "pets" when asked, not seeming to care that it made it harder for the staff left working. We had occasional meetings for new things to incorporate. Either nothing was followed through upon or we were told to "make it happen!" We seldom got lunch breaks. Morale dropped to an all time low. The manager was often gone or in meetings. Organization disappeared, as did the flow of the office. No raises except once, fifty cents an hour. Actually, pay was decreased $10.00 an hour, with new incentive for bonus, which was good until time was reduced per patient. More paperwork was mandatory with deadlines and frequent threats that if not followed through, it would be a firing offense. However, the "pets" somehow did not do the required paperwork and often were over 15 minutes late for first patient's appointment. Never a pat on the back for doing well, only reprimands. I learned about many cultures and how to understand many different accents in speaking. The patients were mostly very grateful and appreciated good service! The most enjoyable part  more... of the job were some good co-workers and so many wonderful patients! We did have excellent OSHA meetings. The hardest part of the job was handing off the patient to the dentist after the dental cleaning, and the operatory was so dirty, that I would put them back in my room and clean that dentist's room before I would seat the patient. Most of the staff started leaving without saying goodbye, often leaving the hygienist behind alone without locking the front door at the end of the day. The whole philosophy changed from caring for the patient's needs and wants to money collected. Of course, we have to make money but it is not fair to provide less quality treatment and to not address the patients concerns. I would never work for this company again. The two hygienists hired after me quit with two months. Many quit after a few days or one day at several locations. Many promises were broken.  less
Pros
Paid medical, vacation, Cpr, and holidays. Initially, lots of happy patients!.
Cons
Not enough time to care for patients, which caused them to become upset and leave.
August 2, 2018

We appreciate the time you took to write this review and are very sorry to hear that your wonderful experience at Smile Brands changed into what you describe. The circumstance in this office is not a culture, patient service philosophy or business that Smile Brands supports. Unfortunately, there are instances when situations like this occur within a practice environment, business, or team, that needs to be addressed and/or helped. We are not certain that this particular case received the benefit of being helped by some of the support resources available. We are very serious about ensuring we maintain the integrity of the culture we have across our company and affiliated offices and also very interested in making sure this office is a great place to work once again. We welcome any additional feedback you can provide at We.Listen@smilebrands.com in that would help us accomplish this. Best of look to you in your new endeavor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smile Brands Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.