Smile Brands Inc. Employee Reviews

Upper management is not open to meaningful change
Lead Dentist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 30, 2018
The template of the management is rigid.
Upper management is not open to new technologies.
The practices are still ...as I understand it....a non electronic patient record for notes.
Trying to read the handwriting down by other doctors or hygienists is often impossible.
The software is a DOS- based software. Very limited by todays standards.
Almost no patient educational literature is available.....one has to do this on their own.
Specialists get more respect and leeway in doing their care...in addition they are paid a lot more than general dentists.
Pros
Most of the staff are hardworking and want to keep their jobs
Cons
Inflexible upper management
A good first full-time job
Registered Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
I liked working for smile brands with the right management. I worked at two of their offices and liked one, but could not stand the other office. At the office I didn't like I felt overworked and underpaid. The patient flow was too much for one hygienist to handle, but was expected.
Benefits
Cons
Too many patients
No compassion for anyone, including doctors.
Orthodontist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 25, 2018
I am a doctor, who worked here for over a year. Almost every day of clinic I ran myself ragged because we were constantly understaffed. Everyone here is a number, even the doctors. They just don't care about individuals except to give the bare minimum to keep employees from quitting. I carried the trunk with all the orthodontic instruments. I had to resign due to health issues. The morning after I resigned, which was also the morning after I got out of the ER, I was asked to BRING THE TRUNK to the office, which is a 50 minute drive for me. The next day, I was being threatened with law enforcement while I was still debilitated if I did not bring the trunk with the instruments by the following day. They gave me two days. TWO DAYS!!!! to recover from being in the ER to return their property, which I should not have had to carry anyway. I have never been treated so despicably. I do not recommend working here because you will just be a number. All they care about is their bottom line, and they have no compassion whatsoever!bout is their b
Dental Assistant/ Billing and Collections (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTOctober 24, 2018
working at various offices I can say unequivocally that smile brand dental and its management are not invested in their employees welfare. Rather the whole corporate entity has an inbred culture of “do anything, say anything, once it improves profit” which has permeated every level of management . That means unethical practices, poor business decisions, poor scheduling which affects doctor quality of care, ability …
Intense, yet caring and supportive environment.
National Director - Payer Solutions (Former Employee) –  Corporate HQ-Irvine CAOctober 23, 2018
Management is supportive, providing training and advice when necessary. Deadlines are the most challenging part of the job, while the opportunity to meet and work with industry leaders is the most enjoyable.
Great Vibes
PATIENT CARE REP/MARKETING (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 22, 2018
I was thankful for the opportunity provided by SmileBrands to exercise and further develop skills needed to insure customer satisfaction. Goal oriented staff and management team.
Pros
The team
Cons
Unable to use PTO
Unfair pay
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CaOctober 20, 2018
The office I worked at had a lot of turn around, I had been there less than a year and I had been at the company the longest out of all the assistance, some doctors, some of the front office, and the office manager. The pay was very unfair! I am a registered dental assistant and my coworkers and myself found out that a DA with less experience was getting a $4 dollar raise, more then all the RDAs... A slap in the face to everyone especially when we helped train her.
Pros
I loved my co-workers.
Cons
Poor management. Unfair pay. Favoritism.
Productive and fun place to work. Friendly co-workers
Dental Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 20, 2018
A nice and good place to work and extern at. You can develop a good friendly relationship with your patients. The staff is cool and laid back. Sometimes it can be challenging but the rewards are well worth it in the end. You get to make some cool friends.
Pros
Breaks and bonuses
Fast paced
RDA (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXOctober 15, 2018
Good place to begin your career and gain experience. the doctors were friendly and willing to teach their assistants. management up front was sometimes unorganized but it is a work in progress
Poorly run with bottom line as only goal
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2018
The organization is poorly run. They have people in management who are too inexperienced and whose only motivation is to meet their budget at any cost. Favoritism ran rampant. They pushed doctors to do more expensive treatment like crowns rather than do a filling even if that would have sufficed. They bonused management and doctors based on them bringing in money and staying on budget and patients mattered little. Staff was overwhelmed and overworked. Had such an old computer scheduling system it was laughable. Dental assistants were way underpaid. Raises were two to three cents per year. It was embarrassing when I had a rockstar employee and could only offer them a19 cent raise. Hours were awful. Understaffed, so hard to keep good staff because they were overwhelmed. Some offices were ok but so many I saw were dirty! Staff would leave used scrub jackets in the lunch room. Staff walked to the front in dirty coats. I was handed a chart with blood on it once! I had to make the dentist take it back.
Pros
Could get your dental care there
Cons
Overworked and unrealistic expectations from upper management
About castle
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 10, 2018
The raise suck to be yearly. Working there I don’t get 80 hours a week. The higher manager is RUDE!!!! If you travel it have to be over a hour for you to get paid. So if you drive to a location for a hour and 10 minutes, you will only get paid for that 10 minutes
Always important to smile
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Their goal to make the people comfortable and get the service they are asking.

Patients also like it when they are reminded of their upcoming appointments.

The atmosphere there is nice and quiet. Very pleasant and the staff are very nice.
Pros
nice not stressful
Cons
Not enough hours
Love working here
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARSeptember 19, 2018
I have great people above me to learn from. I can definitely advance with this company when I’m ready. I enjoy working at Monarch Dental in north Little Rock.
Pros
Great dentist and management. Friendly staff
Good environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Truly enjoy working here
Giving back to the community is important , especially through Smile for everyone foundation , noble charity
There is acknowledgment and recognition especially during performance reviews
Benefits
learn as much as you can and advance or get out
Chairside Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Many of the staff have been employed there 20 - 25 yrs...as the same position.
Needs total system update of office computer systems.
still uses paper charts w/ " red and Blue" charting
needs a lot more marketing and management incentives and guidance . .
Pros
earn paid time off every pay period, got your teet cleaned for free
Cons
insurance was too high, computer system still on MS DOS
Pathetic place to work
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 6, 2018
Very poor management that is still in place.. Good clinical dentist let go to replace with new grads with poor clinical skills. During the 16 years I was there ,new dentist came in every 2 years and as an experienced hygienist, I was expected to train and promote them to my long time patients. It was increasingly difficult to look patients in the eye and support this company. When I left ,after 16 YEARS, no one i.e. management had anything nice or encouraging to say to me. I am soooo happy to be out of this situation. Oh and during my time there ,my salary was reduced and the impossible bonus system was put in place. That was the final nail .
Benefits
Cons
Pay and management and criminals for dentist
to stress full for just a treatment coordinator
Patient Treatment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2018
was a very stress full place to work , i love the patient and the Dr. we have but management was never available when need it i always was the one trying to find a way to please the patient in any concerns they may have and I only was a treatment Coordinator
no advancement
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 28, 2018
No opportunities to grow. Employees who work hard do not get recognized and they get more work. Employees who slack off do not get accountable for and all they do is complain.
good place for experience but nothing more.
Dental Assistant-Externship (Former Employee) –  League City, TXAugust 13, 2018
I was only an intern with this company and the 2 months I spent with them was horrible. The management was causing so much drama within the office. The dentist was amazing.
Good people, not enough hours
RDA (Current Employee) –  AustinTXAugust 7, 2018
I currently work here and enjoy the culture. The doctor, front desk and assistants all communicate very well. My office is well organized, and put together. I am fairly new in the field and have thrived at this location. Everyone is willing to help and answer all questions and make sure you understand well. Biggest negative is not reaching a full 40 hr work week and the company standard of having the call centers promise cleanings to new patients every time really upsets a fair majority of new pts.
Pros
Communication, fun environment, learned a lot
Cons
The call center cannot schedule for the life of them, not reaching full 40.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smile Brands Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about