Smile Direct Club Employee Reviews

Sales job not dental
Dental Assistant/retail sales (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJanuary 14, 2019
I was hired here under the impression that I was going to be a dental assistant doing scanning and placing attachments but that was far from the truth. I was pretty much lied to just to realize it was all sales and very cutthroat! If you didn't sell you didn't get hours. At first I was told 25hrs per week and then it went down to 12! And it was 3 days 4hr shifts!!!! Horrible company
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Sale job
Terrible company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 9, 2019
Bad to their employees!! I would Never want to work here. In a 5 months my location lost about eight employees. Upper management is inappropriate, rude and unprofessional.
Pros
Working at we work locations
Cons
Everything else
Easy, lots of talking, fun, great pay
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CADecember 28, 2018
I thought working here was easier than dental assisting. Your not running around, working through your lunch. If you like people and like talking this is the perfect job. It’s basically a sales job with a little dental assistant procedures. The pay is great and they have great benefits if your full time. The only problem for me was the commute and time spent in traffic.
Pros
Easy job, great pay
Cons
Commute, traffic
Great Job but management horrible
Smile guide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 27, 2018
Don’t get me wrong smile direct club is a great job opportunity but far as management lack of communication I didn’t get so much of a great time there..
January 2, 2019

We're sorry to hear this, as focusing on hiring and training effective leadership is a main priority of ours. It will continue to be a major priority as we move forward, so we hope you will reach out with additional input. We can be reached at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Not the worst job
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2018
I believe there is favoritism within this company, and it's all about who you know. If you want to move up just be prepared to make this your life because you'll be on call 24/7. Also be prepared to sale, sale, sale, that's the basis of your position unless you come in as management.
December 27, 2018

We're concerned to see this, as we aim for all team members to feel prepared, coached, and heard when it comes to their skills and goals at the company. It's important to us that our leaders are able to work with all of their reports to achieve their goals whether it's a new skill or new position. The SmileGuide position is unique in the requirement for both dental and sales skills. If you'd like to speak more to this position or the leadership you received, we're always here to discuss and learn more as we grow. Please reach out to peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

productive and fun
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 10, 2018
working here for 2 years great company really tends to needs and what the employees need , i would recommend this job to any one looking for a career to grow in
December 17, 2018

This is awesome to hear! Thank you so much for your support and dedication to SDC. :)

Great starting pay but awful management
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  414 union streetDecember 8, 2018
Okay starting pay as representative $16/hr just the environment is bad. Managers (team leads and team captains) have the worst attitudes. Big thumbs up to the 11-8 shift team captain and team lead
December 10, 2018

We're concerned to see this, as we take great pride in the culture and leadership present in our call center. It's important that our team members always feel heard and coached by their leaders. Our people support team is here to aid in this communication when needed, so we hope you'll reach out to discuss your feedback further: peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com. Thank you!

Reasonable job
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNNovember 27, 2018
I actually really enjoy my job, it’s everything else going around that’s the issue. People are constantly complaining, the parking lot and break room are a mad house, new people are always in and out trying to change everything.
Pros
Multiple breaks, my manager is amazing!
Cons
Work environment, rude employees
November 29, 2018

While we're delighted to hear that you enjoy your work, it's important to us that we create an inspiring, comfortable, and safe work environment for all of our team members. We hope that our team members with collaborate with their leadership and people support in order to support this initiative. To discuss more, please reach out to smilelabpeoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Terrible company
Smile guide (Former Employee) –  New YorkNovember 21, 2018
This company is like a revolving door, the employees come and go. All they care about is the numbers not the employees! If you are a dental assistant, you’re better off staying at you’re current job. New rules everyday, cutthroat company, no job security at all. Poor management, if the manager doesn’t like you you’ll get fired. The management lies consistently. Stay away from this place. Only thing Good about this company is the customers and the assistants are cool.
Pros
Cool assistants
Cons
Poor upper management, no security
November 26, 2018

We're concerned to see this, as we place high priority on our leadership and coaching here. It's important to us that all team members feel supported and heard, and our people support team does their due diligence in any disagreement among a team -- including manager to their report. We sure hope you will reach out to discuss further. We're always here to support: peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Amazing Company, Meaningful Work
Corporate HQ Employee (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 13, 2018
SmileDirectClub is an amazing company to work for. Tons of room for advancement and you know every day that you're doing meaningful work, not only providing customers access to a smile that can change their lives, but also knowing that you're a piece of this company's amazing growth. Benefits could be better, time to catch up with the other best employers in Nashville there.
Pros
work schedule flexibility, 401k match, great environment, HAPPY place to work!
Cons
benefits could be better
November 14, 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are proud of the growth opportunities and mission that drives all that we do. Thank you for being a part of it -- it means so much. We appreciate your feedback on our benefits, as we certainly want our team members to feel appreciated and heard. This will continue to be a focus as we grow.

Rocket Ship
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 12, 2018
The company has hired over 3000 people in two years, with no plans of slowing down. Opportunity is everywhere, and the leadership team is a group of vets who have created this type of company twice before. The culture is very flat and very fun, but don't mistake that for a demanding environment where your best is always required. I left a good, stable job for a role at SDC, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made!
Pros
Opportunity, culture, leadership
Cons
Too many meetings, always on
November 13, 2018

This is exciting to hear! We do move fast around here, and we are thrilled about the opportunity for growth and collaboration. Thank you so much for your support -- happy to have you on the team.

Horrible
Smile guide (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 28, 2018
This is not a dental assisting job. It's a SALES job. They only care if your sales numbers are high and don't care if the customer doesn't have the funds to afford the aligners. They want you to force the customer in putting a card number so you could meet a quota. Management sucks, they have NO EXPERIENCE in the dental field and they pick favorites and don't listen to complaints and tell you to figure it out yourself instead of trying to help you. You are not guaranteed your 40 hrs if your sales numbers aren't high. Coworkers are pitted against each other to get most guests and the sale. A TOXIC ENVIRONMENT. This company has potential but they only care about the sales.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, environment, only care about sales
October 30, 2018

We're disappointed to see this, as we take pride in the collaborative and supportive culture we aim to foster. The SmileGuide job is a unique role that combines both dental experience and retail skills, and we hire manager to support in these efforts. If this hasn't been the experience you've had, we take that seriously, as we want all team members to feel heard and coached. We hope you will reach out to discuss further at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Smile Direct Club
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNOctober 24, 2018
I enjoyed my time at smile direct club. Great job experience, great co-workers and great pay. Glad I decided to work there for a season. Just need to find something closer to home and I need a part time job for school.
October 26, 2018

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and we certainly understand the desire to be close to home. We appreciate your feedback. Your rating does imply some room for improvement, so we hope you will reach out further to provide more input: peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Unprofessional people and it's like working with high schoolers
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNOctober 18, 2018
I am currently working here and when I tell you it's like high school all over again I really mean it. First of all you can't even get a parking spot because the traffic with the previous shift leaving is so terrible. Almost everyone there has no type of dental experience at all or even has a degree. The people I work with are very immature and very ignorant and do nothing but gossip and talk about their whole personal lives to anyone around them. If you are just keeping to yourself they will literally start a fight with you for no reason or talk about you. It's so easy to get hired here because they perform no drug test or reference checks at all so you end working with literally the WORST kind of people. If you bring up an issue you're having with someone to leadership, all they will tell you is to ignore it. Management is very snooty and act like they don't wanna be bothered with anything. They require you to work Saturday AND Sunday when that was not specified when you first got hired so you will literally be working none stop some weeks. They have way too many payroll issues and don't keep promises they make about paying out bonuses. They will constantly change rules and not tell anybody. I could go on forever about this place and how unprofessional it is but that's the main idea. Do not waste your time and sanity on this place.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
October 22, 2018

We're disheartened to see this, as it's our top priority to create as safe and healthy work environment for our team. We are growing quickly, and we will continue to make this a priority through the changes we're making to our talent acquisition process, leadership training, etc. Each team member should always feel heard, and if that hasn't been the case, we want to change that. Please reach out to peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com to discuss further.

No work-life balance
n/a (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 16, 2018
The company has great culture, but horrible benefits and work-life balance. Depending on your position, you can become overwhelmed easily with the intensive work load. You will hear often that SmileDirect Club has a fast paced environment, but it’s not a positive statement. This means that the company wants high productivity at all costs and you'll be fielding a steady flow of emergencies. You're going to work more hours than they are paying you.
Pros
Cons
Work-life Balance, benefits, pay
October 18, 2018

Hi there. We would like to clarify that the environment and pace around here are certainly unique. We are clear with team members and candidates that the way we work isn't in line with your average office job, but we find the pace and structure to be rewarding, inspiring, and energetic. We certainly want our team members to feel balance and support, and this will continue to be a priority as we grow and learn. If you'd like to speak further, we sure hope you will reach out at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Horrible Bosses
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 14, 2018
Horrible people who over-hire at new shops and then lay people off when the corporate marketing team doesn't bring customers to the shop.
Most managers are uneducated and clueless about running a business.
Pros
you get aligners at a discount
Cons
you can't wear the aligners because they hurt and I don't trust the dentists they have
October 18, 2018

We appreciate your feedback here. We'd like to clarify that as we've grown, we've learned and adapted our hiring strategy as well as the types of skills we want to hire for in the various positions at SmileShops. In addition, we're proud of the aligner discount we offer, and the licensed dentists and orthodontists who preside over our SmilePlans. That said, we're a young company and growing quickly, and we look forward to continuing to make changes to support our team. If you'd like to discuss further, please reach out to peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Great Start Up
Pass (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 26, 2018
I really appreciate my time with this start-up.
It's amazing how many smiles we created with this amazing team. If you are not open to new ideas, this isn't a place for you.
October 3, 2018

That's awesome to hear! We sure are proud of being able to create smiles for both our customers and our team members. Thank you for your kind words.

Easy, fast paced job
Dental Assistant/Smile Guide (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MinnetonkaSeptember 25, 2018
This job is very easy compared to an actual dental office. A typical day includes taking 3D scans on an Itero and helping customers choose a payment plan. If you are looking for a laid back and fun job, this place is for you.
Pros
Hours, pay, work life balance
October 3, 2018

We appreciate your feedback here! We sure are proud of our SmileGuides for being able to combine their dental experience with the customer facing skills we value in our shops as well. Thank you for your kind words.

Run!
Dental Assistant/ Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 24, 2018
I hated it. This company does not care about their workers. I was totally unhappy with this company. They have very little respect for employees and there is no space for growth. It is also retail dentistry and I hated that the most.
October 3, 2018

We're disappointed to see this. The sentiment of our team members as well as providing opportunities for growth are both major priorities for our team, and we'll continue to work towards this as we grow. We sure hope to learn more from you, and we hope you will reach out to peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Not for me
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNSeptember 13, 2018
This is a very easy job...good pay for the work you do..they even pay you if they don't have work..they do hold nice events...I never really had any problems with anyone there...but the environment is just not for me...it's a lot people in a small space....a lot different attitudes and some can be very unpleasant...parking is a nightmare..I've almost been hit like two times on foot...countless in my car...I really enjoyed this job in the beginning, but after being here for a few months. Determine this is not the place for me...if you love being all people this is the job for you.......for the work to be so easy and simple, it's a little stressful place to work. I wish the company nothing but the best. Doesn't mean it wasn't a right fit for me it wouldn't be for somone else you would have to try it for yourself...could be the perfect fit for you.
Pros
Sent home with pay, events, pay, climate control
Cons
environment, parking
October 3, 2018

We appreciate your feedback here, as we certainly aim to create a comfortable and exciting work environment for our team members. While we definitely move fast, we're proud of our pace and the various perspectives of our team. That said, safety and happiness within the work environment is always top priority for people support. We sure hope you will reach out to discuss further at peoplesupport@smiledirectclub.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smile Direct Club. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight