Smile Direct Club Employee Reviews

2.5
Ratings breakdown
I love working at SDC! Such and exciting environment with many talented and bright team members to learn from!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 9, 2018
The culture is incredible! Everyone is eager to grow and develop themselves. The leadership coaches in a very positive way that encourages you to improve rather than getting discouraged.
I myself have grown so much in many different ways in my time here. This is a truly special company that is an honor to work for.
It is important to remember that while we have done so much in such a short time everything is not going to be perfect because we are 4 years old and growing at an astonishing rate. That is going to present challenges and that is something that happens in every business. It is the companies that face the challenges head on and persevere through those challenges that make their mark on the world! This is something that I remind myself of every time I face a challenge or difficult situation at SDC. We are all a part of something very special. :)
Pros
Growth, beautiful office, great leadership examples
Production
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 8, 2018
Great place to work makes you feel good your able to help the customer out to have a better smile . Working at smile direct club is pretty cool and laid back for the most part .
Pros
Hours
Cons
Get points for anything
This is the worst Job in Davidson County
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 2, 2018
I hate it with a passion. When I pull in the parking lot my blood pressure rise. I already know its going to be a trying day. Its sad when Im not the only one who feel this way. Dont come here unless this is your last resort. Im warning you. This place should be for work release inmates.
Pros
You get to act like a animal
Cons
Management is terrible. All the way down to HR
Garbage
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNJuly 23, 2018
This job is only available if you need a quick and easy check. Other than that, the work environment is caustic. They would love to tell you to work mandatory hours on short notice and forget about fair job advancement. It’s all about favorites. They don’t care about your work/life balance. This company will go under eventually.
Pros
Pay
Cons
They hire anyone
All that glitters aint gold
smile guide (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 23, 2018
Decided to work for this company for a nice easy part time job. The part time pay was great and i actually left a pretty good job for this one due to the pay and my schedule to work every Saturday. Well all the glamour didnt last long, my first manager was Fired and the way the company handled it was so unprofessional. They wanted me to not tell customers certain things about the company. There was a doctors license hanging in the office but they soon took it down. Two more employees were fired and the police was called for one. Then my hours got cut and the store hours were changed and I was not even told about this. Customers complaining about not recieving their product and no one would help them. We had patient everywhere and they cut how many assistants can see customer. Basically if u werent making sales you were not seeing customers so i sat around alot. I always felt sorry for the full time employees because the company constantly cut hours and changed regulations.
Pros
uniform, pay
Cons
changs all the time, bad management
Worst Experience
Assistant Manager|Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2018
Terrible place to work. Higher ups are cliquey. Managers do nothing all day and lack basic managerial skills. Smile guides get hired as dental assistants but in actuality this is a SALES job and your job will be threatened every day if you dont force people to swipe their cards for $2,000. There is no room for growth here at all. If you ever do get promoted, they will demote you so fast for unethical reasons like being in school. There are no bonuses but they lie and say there are bonuses to get you to sale. The company doesnt care about its employees at all. Its so bad. Run far away.
Pros
None.
Cons
The existence of the company
Could be much, much better
Production Lab Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 13, 2018
The job itself is not hard, and honestly, the company is not bad. The management works with no sense of direction and they will single you out, pick on you, while others are shown favoritism. There is no structure in any of the departments. Very unprofessional when it comes to interaction with employees. They will give you smart answers, disrespect you, and belittle you. No need in running to another other department to complain because they will sweep it all under the rug. They make the job harder than what it is. If they don't like you, don't worry about applying for other positions within the company, even if you are qualified. They will make excuses for each other and will lie on you as well to keep you in a certain spot. They advertise as a place thats fun, laid back, and you can be yourself but thats the complete opposite. If you need a quick check for a few months, go ahead. But this is not somewhere for a career at all. Management needs to be replaced, and the company will be a lot better.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Literally everything else.
worst place to work
Fulfilment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNJuly 6, 2018
Worst place I've ever worked management is trash. This place is so unprofessional. The only way I would recommend this place is If you have NO OTHER OPTION even then KEEP LOOKING ELSEWHERE 😁
Pros
Overtime
Sales job.
Smile guide (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 2, 2018
They will tell you they want dental assistants because you take 3D scans and ortho pictures but that's it. Really, it's a sales job. You need to keep your individual numbers and office numbers up.
They encourage video recordings of appointments to ensure you are following the script [yes there really is a script!]
Managers are not required to have any dental background which is weird, most only have retail history.
It is nice that we are paid hourly and not based on commissions, however, if your numbers are low there are consequences for it. I've heard you can even be fired for this.
I was employed as part-time but have been consistently working full-time hours since I started. They won't make me full-time which means no benefits for me.
You will work late nights and weekends so wave goodbye to your life outside of work.
I don't see much room for advancement unless you want to be a manager or a trainer.
Very low show rate with customer appointments so you spend a lot of time sitting around.
Pros
Hourly pay
Cons
Sales job. No work-life balance.
workplace culture
Marketing (Former Employee) –  TNJune 24, 2018
- Loud and can feel really chaotic at times.
- Not a good place to work if you like to focus, need quiet or solitude to complete tasks.
- A lot of really hard workers and smart colleagues, but there's often a lack of communication across teams that can be frustrating.
Pros
Nice, smart colleagues.
Cons
Feels disorganized.
Worst job ever
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNJune 16, 2018
You managers and leads have their favorites, so you better suck up to them if you want to move forward in the company. The work is not worth it for what your getting paid. The parking is also horrible. They have a very high turnover rate as well. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They have a strict point system, so can barely miss work even with a doctors note. The work is very fast paced, the training is not that good so better catch on fast. Somone quits on every shift, every day!! So it should always be a job open. The production is tightly packed, you can barely raise move your arm without hitting the person next to you. Apply to this job if you want to be underpaid and hate where you work.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everthing
Please don't waste your time
Smile Guide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2018
If I could give this company no stars i most certainly would. Management is super TRASH, i've seen zoo keepers do a better job. These people don't care not even 1% about their employees. Really sad to say because the company has a lot of potential, just the wrong influencer running it.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Walking on egg shells at all times
Horrible place for dental assistants
Dental Assistant “smile guide” (Former Employee) –  MidwestJune 11, 2018
This is not a dental assisting job. You are a “smile guide”. You can be fired if your numbers aren’t high enough and you will work weekends and late nights so don’t expect anything else. Managers are required to work 65 hours a week and are always miserable due to their work week. If you like selling something you don’t believe in and sucking your managers c*** then this job is for you 😁
Pros
Having a job
Cons
If I Could Give SDC a 0 Rating, I WOULD.
Production (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNMay 25, 2018
Management is AWFUL, they don’t care about anything except numbers, even if you’re sick with a doctors note they could care less. All shifts are run differently, night shift is the most strict while day and 3rd shift are way more laid back. People are extremely full of drama to a whole new level. Unless you’re sucking up to management don’t expect to be treated nicely or advance up. Even if you’re more qualified. The pay isn’t worth it honestly. Wouldn’t recommend to my worst enemy.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Hostile Environment, No Advancement
Terrible company to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2018
You are hired under the impression that this is a dental job and that the sales aspect is very laid back. It's a total LIE. If you don't meet their expected numbers for sales the management will push you to quit. They threaten to fire you for people not signing up, meanwhile no one is expecting to buy the product the day of their appointment. Everything is advertised as a FREE CONSULT, that is why people don't come prepared to pay that day. All of the managers only have retail experience, no dental experience so they cannot help you at all. When you have a problem and go to the manager for help you get the response "I don't know that's not my problem". They'll have you traveling to other shops in other states because so many people are quitting, due to POOR MANAGEMENT, they are understaffed. The whole company is just a mess, constant unnecessary changes, hostile work environment. Yes, the pay is nice, but if you value your mental health, I would not recommend this company.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hostile workplace, poor management, cut hours, $200 monthly parking
Bad experience
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 21, 2018
You are hired under the impression that it will be a dental assisting job. It’s a SALES job. The actual appointments aren’t bad what’s bad is that you are punished if the patient doesn’t provide their credit card numbers right then and there. They don’t care about their employees it’s all about numbers and they are just money hungry. The rules change on a daily basis and no one communicate this to you you are just always in trouble for not doing things the “new way” when there’s no way to keep up with this. Hostile environment, constantly being put down. Miserable work experience. Costs at least $200 a month to park here for work, no compensation. Bad hours, poor management.
Pros
Decent hourly wage
Sales driven
Dental Assistant/Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2018
The company concept is good but the management on all levels only have retail experience. Low show rate, commissions based performance,Schedule issue.
Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent on all levels
More of a retail job than actual Dental Assisting
Smile Guide (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 9, 2018
There’s no real training and it’s more about you making sales than actual dental assisting... not much of a structure with the company... they hire a lot but also cut a lot of hours... all they care about is making money they don’t really value their employees or customers... i don’t recommend this for dental assistants because your not really practicing DA it’s all sales... and they tend to have issues with paying their employees 2 times i haven’t gotten paid had to wait an entire month for a paycheck both times...
Fast-paced work place with opportunities to grow
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 6, 2018
I've worked at SDC for awhile. I love all of my coworkers. The company is VERY FAST PACED. When I say that, I mean things can change within 10 minutes and no one will tell you. It's a great place to work if you can adapt like a chameleon in 10 seconds. Other than that, management is nice but needs to communicate more. Everyone that works here is extremely kind and receptive. I would recommend this place to a friend.
Pros
Pto, Co Workers, Downtown
Cons
Communication
Started off fun
Smile guide (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2018
Started off the dream job turned into a nightmare. Very inconsistent, cut hours and all about numbers. Worst communication EVER between management and upper management. They operate on a point system and you can never see what points you’ve accumulated and why they were given to you. You’ll get points and a write up for something you got permission to do but because of lack of communication the proof is not there. No need trying to defend your case. Once something is put into play, it will not be retracted no matter how much leg you have to stand on. Although the location I was at had a high volume of traffic, The job itself is a breeze and not hard at all. Overall the company takes without appreciation. Doesn’t care about its employees....more about numbers and how you can make them look good.
Pros
Good hourly pay
Cons
Extreme inconsistency in hrs, pay...etc etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smile Direct Club. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight