Smith's Food and Drug Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Working in complete chaos
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTAugust 14, 2018
If you like working where nothing is consistent. the rules change every other day, gossip is everywhere like junior high. few people actually care about doing a good job. over worked and under paid. this is the job for you.

It sucks.,
very high paced environment
Baker (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 13, 2018
work to get product out on time. you get to learn time-management skills. and fellow workers are willing to lend a helping hand. the most enjoyable part for me is working while being able to listen to the radio.
Best job i had
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 9, 2018
My experience with smiths was honestly the best one i had so far. I had a good crew, I got along with everyone i worked with, When i needed help there was always someone there to help me. I cant say that i had a bad experience the only negative thing there was the rude customers but honestly that's at every job.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Rude customers
Constant work to be done.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTAugust 8, 2018
Always something to do, never a dull moment. sometimes too much work to be handled. Regular customers were always nice to see. they made your day much better by having a nice conversation.
It was a good first job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 3, 2018
My store had a lot of unbalanced managers. We had a new manager very frequently. I didn't feel very valued for my work, even if I did really good. The company great and all but my experience was not the best. It is still a good place to work.
Me personally I liked working at Smith’s it was a good environment and most of the customers were respectful
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 30, 2018
Smith’s is a great place to work if you’re looking for a family friendly job, Smith’s isn’t like most stores honestly the co works and customers were respectful and good st helping one another.
Pros
Discounts, nice friendly people, and never not busy
Cons
Only had 10 min breaks and pay was low ($7.25).
a very stressful work environment.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2018
This company is pretty cheap when it comes to paying a livable wage. They found a loophole to pay my position less than state minimum wage by offering benefits instead. Needless to say trying to supports oneself on a smiths salary would be to no avail.
Pros
health care
Cons
no lunches, no raises, no holiday pay, no overtime. Lack of focus from management weak union.
Busy place
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 26, 2018
Busy store love my customers.Always happy to see them .Best service is to always smile.(Never know that might just make someones day).Only wish they would put up a number machine for customers who have been waiting for service
Pros
Get to meet great people
Cons
Not enough hours
Not a bad job, hours very inconsistent
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NM 87124July 17, 2018
I liked the job, but the schedule was very volatile on what days you would be working as well as not knowing changes sometimes the day before the previous schedule was finished(and it was weekly).
Stressfull, unrealistic expectations
Fuel Clerk/Cashier - Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, NMJuly 13, 2018
Not enough hours, poor management, no breaks, to much work for time allotted, cut throat employees, loved interacting with customers, great customer service
Lack of people
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 12, 2018
Poor management lack of training and people. Been there for 2 years . Lack of promotion in the department and in the entire store .Lack of communication through the store
Awesome place to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJuly 8, 2018
Smith's Food and Drug is an awesome place to work for.My District Manager and I had a good working relationship and it made our job that much easier.
Pros
Enjoyable place to work.
fast paced and fair
Customer Service Manager/ Lead (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJuly 5, 2018
I loved my job at smith's. It was an amazing place to work and the people who worked there made the store a great place to learn and work. Of course there are some bad apples, but you just have to make apple cider with that... :)
Pros
compensation was great, benifits were awesome.
Cons
Little to no repercussions for adverse attitude and ethical mistakes.
A job thats loved
Customer Service/Cashier/Non-Foods/Fuel (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 4, 2018
I enjoy coming in early, the hardest part is doing 8 things in the hour they give me before I open my department, I learned to multi task really well. a typical day at work involves me doing those 8 things, then opening paying bills or fixing them. Management is great I love my team, but they put to much on one person and they don't offer any help to get it done.
Pros
you being a family, new friends
Cons
short breaks, hands everything off to one person
Management shrugs off your input
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Gardnerville, NVJuly 3, 2018
was with the company for 4 years and they blew me off when i asked to move up even though it was completely appropriate advancement i was ready and knowledgeable. Store Manger always shrugged stated it wasn't up to him.
Don't work here.
Associate (Current Employee) –  UtahJune 26, 2018
No chance for advancement. Favoritism and nepotism runs rampant throughout the company. The company promotes the retention of employees by promoting within the company and that the company has talented employees that they work with to,advance in their careers with the company. This is simply untrue. They hire people outside the company who are related to someone higher up in the company or know someone. Those who are lucky enough to be promoted from within the company are seldom qualified for the job and again it's all about who you know or who you're related too. I've know of sons working in the same office as their executive father. Mothers who are corporate executives over divisions within the company who has two sons working as mangers in stores within the same division. I could go on and on. This is a terrible company to work for. A company full of expectations but little to no recognition. Stay away from Smiths.
Decent Place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 25, 2018
I enjoy my co-workers and customers, what I do not enjoy is the lack of respect shown to the employees by members of the district staff. I also do not like the fact that certain employees, and members of management get special treatment because they have been there for a long time.
Pros
Discounts on all store brand products purchased
Cons
Lack of pay, to much expectations and not enough compensation
Smith’s is a very fast workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 22, 2018
I’ve learned a lot working at smiths, everyone employee that works there is very friendly. All the costumers are very nice, Everton knows everyone. I prefer anybody first job to be at smiths
Productive and fun work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bountiful, UTJune 19, 2018
Working here as a temporary employee was good although it was low pay for being on your feet all day and pushing carts in the heat. The courtesy clerk or bagger is the starting position though, so you can expect minimum wage.
exceptional pay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJune 15, 2018
exceptional benefit, pay periods, pay raises, prices and discounts.

Poor management, poor team building skills, poor training , not enough training. no management support. poor sanitary procedures in food areas.