Smith's Food and Drug Employee Reviews

It's a pretty good place to work if you like retail
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 28, 2018
I had many opportunities for advancement and growth.
Working with many different associates was fun.
I enjoyed working with some management teams and had difficulty with others.
Retail is hard as far as long demanding hours and working all holidays.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
long hours, holiday work
I enjoyed working for kroger
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed working at the job. I learned while working their the ways of working with the merchandise. Best management i ever worked with. If you enjoy working with different product and many different career paths, you will love working here. The hardest part is customers trying to get free product or fighting you to get a discount, but management is always on the ball and willing to assist. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the elderly with their purchase and wishing them a great day.
Pros
Great discounts, Positive atmosphere, great management
Cons
Costumers trying to steal merchandise
I enjoy helping people and I get along with my co-workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Great Falls, MTNovember 5, 2018
I have a positive attitude and enjoy helping people this is a job that I enjoy going to daily. I would like it if the courtesy clerks would be more respectful and listen to management and be able to complete tasks. I don't mind helping out but I don't feel we should have to do there jobs for them on a regular basis. I do my best and try to assist when needed. I would like it if everybody worked together and co-workers would get along better.
Pros
I do the best I can do! I enjoy working here!
Cons
Courtesy clerks need to work harder as a team!
Great Work environment with Usual work Mess
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 29, 2018
Great Work Place. Weekly Pay, benefits after 90 days probation, meet great people and have the usual work drama and poor management. full/part time not guaranteed.
Pros
Weekly Pay, 25-35hours, advancement oppurtunities
Cons
low hours often, unkept promises
Not worth another minute of my life.
Bagger/Cart Pusher (Former Employee) –  Sahara and Maryland ParkwayJanuary 26, 2019
The pay per hour is far too underwhelming to survive on, they never gave me the benefits, and all that talk about giving me raises but never bothered delivering. I followed EVERYBODY's orders every time and worked as hard as I could, but paychecks below $150 is all I ever get in return. They seem to use some employee favoritism too. I will NEVER consider returning to this company. 0 out of 10.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Underwhelming pay, short breaks (10 minutes).
a typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NM 87505January 28, 2019
Smiths is very stressful to work for. We never got lunches or breaks. Smiths kept adding more job responsibilities with no raise in pay. The manager was always doing things he shouldn't have done. Like telling customers our work schedules.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no lunches or breaks
a very stressful work environment.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2018
This company is pretty cheap when it comes to paying a livable wage. They found a loophole to pay my position less than state minimum wage by offering benefits instead. Needless to say trying to supports oneself on a smiths salary would be to no avail.
Pros
health care
Cons
no lunches, no raises, no holiday pay, no overtime. Lack of focus from management weak union.
Great pay low social life
Order Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTSeptember 24, 2018
If you like working in a warehouse and working 12+ hour shifts then this would be a perfect job, pay was a base of 20 and the more items you picked the better you got paid great people to work for awesome upper management long hours great pay but little to no social life and weird days off.
Pros
great pay, upper management
Cons
long hours, hard work
Pretty fun for a while
Fuel Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTSeptember 26, 2018
Smith's was a great place to work if you're not working in the Fuel Center. If you're in that dedpartment, you will be working alone and miserable. Also, if you need to use the restroom, you have to walk all the way across the parking lot and into the main building. Other than that, the pay and the hours are pretty good.
Pros
Good pay, timed raises
Cons
far away restrooms, loneliness
Don't work here.
Associate (Current Employee) –  UtahJune 26, 2018
No chance for advancement. Favoritism and nepotism runs rampant throughout the company. The company promotes the retention of employees by promoting within the company and that the company has talented employees that they work with to,advance in their careers with the company. This is simply untrue. They hire people outside the company who are related to someone higher up in the company or know someone. Those who are lucky enough to be promoted from within the company are seldom qualified for the job and again it's all about who you know or who you're related too. I've know of sons working in the same office as their executive father. Mothers who are corporate executives over divisions within the company who has two sons working as mangers in stores within the same division. I could go on and on. This is a terrible company to work for. A company full of expectations but little to no recognition. Stay away from Smiths.
Cons
Great company with some not so great flaws
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJuly 24, 2018
I didn't undergo some personal issues with some management. They offer you very fair wages. But the hours are very inconsistent. The potential for coverage or benefits is there. But most find that they are not applicable because they don't get enough consistent hours. You also have potential to lose your benefits if you don't maintain enough hours. You also working a lot of sporadic swing shifts. And will never be offered a consistent schedule.
Pros
Fair wages, and potential for benefits.
Cons
Inconsistent hours and on occasion poor management.
Smith's Food and Drugs is a great place to work for a first-time job you get part-time hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZAugust 28, 2018
Smiths is a good job for first time job you start off pulling cards do you work your way up you don't make much more an hour bonuses are $0.10 but it is a great job to start off in for the benefits as in medical dental etc
Pros
Frozen about working at Smith's you get some great management and friend to work with
Cons
Cons of cranky customers get 10 minute breaks you don't always get a lunch
Stressful environment, disorganized, inconsistent work hours.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVSeptember 4, 2018
This may be a good job for a few months/for someone only looking for experience or a temporary job. I would not recommend this for someone looking for stable income or to work up in the company. Hours are inconsistent and the online schedule is incredibly difficult to view, you are not compensated properly for your time or work.

Coworkers are all friendly, but management is not given proper hours to be able to effectively organize or control the environment for the people below them. (Although they do their absolute best and this is not at all their fault.)

You do learn customer service skills and meet good people while working this job.
Pros
Employee discount, good coworkers, and familiarity with customers.
Cons
Short breaks, disorganized, low pay.
Good company to work for. Fair and supportive.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Heber City, UTSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoy people and customer service.
I learned safety procedures.
Management worked with employees
Great people to work with
Using the plastic bags
Getting to know customers
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bathroom and lunchroom in the back
fast paced and exciting
Customer Service/Retail Representative (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 16, 2019
Working here was my very first job! I started as a courtesy clerk and work my way to CSM, Customer Service Manager. With that I was able to learn a lot. From dealing with customers at a high volume, to money management. It was always very fast paced which I liked.
The management process was truly fulfilling.
Pros
long breaks, lunches
Cons
angry customers (which is anywhere you work in customer service), wage per hour
Fun coworkers. Cut throat managers
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 24, 2018
I believe that even though I was treated poorly for whatever reason that what goes around always comes back around. And that karma or just very poor Timing in the disciplinary action taken against her and the reasons they finally fired her we truly eye opening in how they value their clerks versus base salary earners is completely out of whack even considering the fact that there was a useless union that did nothing to help.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bad hours, bad pay, bad management
Ugh
Smiths meat cutter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 4, 2018
Pretty bad company to work for, it used to be allot better now it's a revolving door of employees due to Smith's not creating a good work life balance. If you don't fall in line with management they will make your life there intolerable.
Pros
Weekly checks, consistent if you have nothing else to get money
Cons
Heavily Corporate, rules always change no consistency in policy
Nepotism and management that never appriciates employee work
Melon Production Lead Holiday, Utah (Current Employee) –  Holiday UtOctober 24, 2018
The company is full of nepotism which makes advancing extremely difficult. you can work as hard as you can and see others pass by and never receive a compliment the best you get is "it looks good but...." or they only talk to you if there is something wrong. no appreciation, and stressful work environment with advances going to family and friends of management
Really hard work
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTSeptember 16, 2018
In this job you have to work supper hard, and I know... its a job. but in reality it was completely impossible for me to do this job. So my word of advice is that if you are at all overweight, then it will be nearly impossible for you to do this job. now the management was never bad and the people weren't either, just if you are the type of person that goes to the gym each day then you may be capable of doing this job. No really its like 15 X harder than how they explain it
Pros
nice people
Cons
shifts always run late, and huge workload
Great as a first job but no further potential.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 9, 2018
This place was great as a starter job, my first one. But this work is tedious and requires only the most basic of motor skills and has no real fun in it. My co workers were great and it was fun to work with them, but there is no real competition in the workplace which leads to a lack of motivation in the workplace.
Pros
Discount on Kroger products, flexible schedule, co-workers can be fun.
Cons
Short breaks, usually short staffed, no advancement or competition.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith's Food and Drug. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss