Smith's Food and Drug Employee Reviews

Good company to work for. Fair and supportive.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Heber City, UTSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoy people and customer service.
I learned safety procedures.
Management worked with employees
Great people to work with
Using the plastic bags
Getting to know customers
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bathroom and lunchroom in the back
Friendly
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Wendover, NVSeptember 9, 2018
Working at smiths, there were great people! Everyday there would be different people to be helped and groceries that were needed to be bagged. It really is a simple job but does not pay as well. For the work it is fair.
It was alright for a first job, could use more pay.
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 6, 2018
This was my first job and it was a great learning experience. The Front end managers knew what they wanted done and made sure we understood it as well. Overall it was a good first job.
Pros
Good work environment, good experience.
Cons
Low pay, a lot of work for that low pay.
Stressful environment, disorganized, inconsistent work hours.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVSeptember 4, 2018
This may be a good job for a few months/for someone only looking for experience or a temporary job. I would not recommend this for someone looking for stable income or to work up in the company. Hours are inconsistent and the online schedule is incredibly difficult to view, you are not compensated properly for your time or work.

Coworkers are all friendly, but management is not given proper hours to be able to effectively organize or control the environment for the people below them. (Although they do their absolute best and this is not at all their fault.)

You do learn customer service skills and meet good people while working this job.
Pros
Employee discount, good coworkers, and familiarity with customers.
Cons
Short breaks, disorganized, low pay.
Fun people to work with close net family feel.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 30, 2018
Like my job just wish I was able to move up more with better pay for the position I'm in , at the location I work most of my co workers are really close to each , sometimes they pormote undeserving people, and not able to do much overtime always cut hours to lower labor cost . But overall a good place to start a new JOB, and get your grounding in the job industry.
Pros
Good family feel with my co workers
Cons
No good healthcare benefits, not really paid what you should in a position, and dnt pormote within alot before hiring out side sources
quickpaced with constant sebse of urgency
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 29, 2018
Smiths is an ok company to work for if you like a fast-paced lively environment but the pay is a bit on the low end, however scheduling is flexible to a degree and are often given good hours
Pros
hours
Cons
workload, hectic, sometimes too fastpaced
interesting
Melon Bar leader (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 27, 2018
For the most part I do enjoy my job. The management likes to play favorites. They will change your schedule without proper notice and expect you to be ok with it.
Pros
most of the people you work with are ok people
Cons
management sucks
productive
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Logan, UTAugust 27, 2018
Working at smith,s was a great experience and i loved it very much. I learned how to work hard and how to get along with my co-workers. It's a very good paying job.
Pros
Discounts, Holiday pay
Fun place to work
Non-Foods Manager (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTAugust 26, 2018
Fun place, Smiths, being under Kroger offers lots of opportunities for development. I was able to do just about everything working at smiths, there is a special kind of culture working at smiths, mainly my specific location in Utah but of course you will always have those types of people you don't like to work but thats life. overall, fun great place to work. love and miss my regular customers.
Always hectic, poor management
Specialty Cheese Lead (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 23, 2018
Doesn't pay well enough to attract quality employees. Always desperate to keep people so people don't even get written up for things they'd easily get fired for at other places.
Pros
Somewhat flexible schedule
Cons
Takes over your life
Amazing working environment
Front end cashier/ money services (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 19, 2018
I feel so blessed that my every single associate is amazingly awesome including management, my coworkers, courtesy clerk and everyone. When I join this store? My mind was clear to leave this work after few hours but my working associates completely change my perceptions. Now I don’t won’t to leave such an amazing working place where everyone is their for you if you need any help any time.
Pros
Fun environment with great associates.
Cons
Some rude and disrespectful interaction.
Drama
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYAugust 17, 2018
The managers were all about making fun of the pregnant girl who just moved there to the point that managers were spreading rumors and the other employees made it very uncomfortable to work there
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Drama and stress
Okay place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NV 89701August 15, 2018
It keeps you busy but you also have to deal with a lot of stress and angry customers if you're front end. It's about what I expected from a grocery job.
Pros
10% discount on Kroger brand, Weekly pay
Cons
Short breaks (sometimes none at all), Low Pay
Good Job
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAAugust 15, 2018
Smiths was and is a good company to work for. They ended leaving So Cal. Not many people left with them as they would have to relocate to another state.
Pros
Good Staff
Working in complete chaos
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTAugust 14, 2018
If you like working where nothing is consistent. the rules change every other day, gossip is everywhere like junior high. few people actually care about doing a good job. over worked and under paid. this is the job for you.

It sucks.,
very high paced environment
Baker (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 13, 2018
work to get product out on time. you get to learn time-management skills. and fellow workers are willing to lend a helping hand. the most enjoyable part for me is working while being able to listen to the radio.
Best job i had
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 9, 2018
My experience with smiths was honestly the best one i had so far. I had a good crew, I got along with everyone i worked with, When i needed help there was always someone there to help me. I cant say that i had a bad experience the only negative thing there was the rude customers but honestly that's at every job.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Rude customers
Constant work to be done.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTAugust 8, 2018
Always something to do, never a dull moment. sometimes too much work to be handled. Regular customers were always nice to see. they made your day much better by having a nice conversation.
Overworked and underappreciated
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 4, 2018
Smith's over works their associates and provides almost no room for advancement. They change up your schedule with no notice and complain if you do not show up for a shift that you were not made known of.
It was a good first job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 3, 2018
My store had a lot of unbalanced managers. We had a new manager very frequently. I didn't feel very valued for my work, even if I did really good. The company great and all but my experience was not the best. It is still a good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith's Food and Drug. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about