Smith & Nephew Employee Reviews

Change
Glob Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 11, 2019
Smith and Nephew use to be a great company to work for until they merged their Andover, MA and Memphis, TN operations in to one. The Andover people tried to say they were superior just because they lived outside Boston. In reality they had no clue what a high performance work culture meant. There is a lot of turnover there.
Pros
Great Bonuses
Cons
Sr. Management stinks
Fast pace, dangerous work enviroment
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38116February 8, 2019
High work load, even higher scrap rate. You were not identified by your superiors for a job well done. Very little for advancement. Odd shifts. Sometimes moved to a job you did not how to operate.
Pros
lunches, pay
Cons
high quota
It's always a struggle
Operations Service Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Coast, USAJanuary 28, 2019
If you like good pay and a lot of stress, this is the job for you. It is rare that we have what you need to build a case for surgery. When we have what we need to build cases with, the job is easy, when you don't, you spend hours on the phone begging for inventory from other districts, its a grind and it wears on you. I worked for a competitor and it wasn't this hard, I used to like going to work and now I dread it. Sometimes your happiness is not worth sacrificing for better pay.
Pros
good pay
Cons
unsupportive management
Overall a nice place to work
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 18, 2019
Culture is competitive but not cut-throat. Overall a good place to work. Management is focused on growing the business. Hard to get decent raises. Overall compensation not inline with industry.
Love my job
Global Returns Rep (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MAJanuary 16, 2019
Days are hectic, lots of calls and emails, really don't want to leave but role is being moved off shore. Love my coworkers and the culture of the company. Built strong relationships with Sales Reps and Customers
Pros
Love my coworkers we have a great group
Cons
job is moving off shore
Great place to work in a fantastic market space
SVP Commercial Development (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAJanuary 16, 2019
I spent 11 years at Smith & Nephew and was rewarded with great relationships, internal and external, regular new challenges and a solid compensation plan.

As with anything, there were challenges that still needed to be wrestled like ownership and response time. I would have also like to see more risk-taking but this is part of the job of a manager or leader and I was able to drive change.

The spaces where Smith & Nephew operates are also wonderful. Customer engagement was absolutely phenomenal when I first joined and was still above average when I left but it was there to be had if anyone wanted to engage HCPs.
Pros
Friendly, collaborative culture, customers
Cons
Speed of execution, risk-taking
Overall good people, very disorganized company and leadership
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 15, 2019
The people overall are great at this company, but the organization is trying to find a path forward and a leader to help organize a disorganized corporation. Products are ok, but the company is very slow to innovate and invest in an experienced sales force which adds difficulty to overall company growth and success.
Pros
working with Surgical Staff and Surgeons
Cons
No, leadership or investment in sales force
Good
PACKER HANDER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 14, 2019
Good job go for it good benefit lay back job teamwork fun party good CEOs ideas for everyone judgement school Benefits clean work area up and down sometimes
CER Manager
Manager, Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 12, 2019
I enjoyed my employment with Smith & Nephew, St Elmo facility. We were a small facility and incorporated the family atmosphere.
I worked for an awesome manager and was allowed to perform my responsibilities with little to no direct management over site.
I was extremely sad when the decision was made to transfer the manufacturing operations to Costa Rica.

As for the Smith & Nephew company the culture was different than I was accustom to in that many of the support departments were managed through specific portals. i.e. Human resources, IT, payroll, etc...
Pros
Family culture
Cons
lack of face to face support teams
no tranjng
Distribution Associate II (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 19, 2018
bad place to work. no accountability ,poor management team , they rather send a person back to school than train you to move to move up in the company.
Pros
no training for employees who already work there.
Good benefits
VP (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 14, 2018
Good benefits. Although a British company, it provides ways for employees to participate in the future success of the company through issue of "equivalent shares"
Love working here
Inventory Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 12, 2018
Management is very hands off. As long as the daily work is done on time, your time is your time. If you need to take time off for anything as long as it is not excessive, and your job is done, management is very understanding
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
in a terrible location of town
Great people, tough workplace
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Andover, MADecember 10, 2018
I have spent 10 years at Smith & Nephew in the IT department. There was no work/life balance and you were expected to be available 24 hours per day/7 days per week. They are in the process of outsourcing 95% of IT.
Pros
Fantastic co-workers
Cons
Long hours & working on holidays
Good place to know more about a tipicall medical industry
SAP ABAP / OData Consultant (Former Employee) –  Collierville, TNDecember 10, 2018
Great place to learn about the medical equipment manufacturing company.
Effectively Business model to run a company with cost efficient and good exposure to the Team members and they are all fun.
Nice place to work
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 5, 2018
This is a nice place to work, but like all places it needs some improvements. Opportunities for growth are not known and you never get a call back to let you know if you are considered for a position or if they decided to move on.
Overworked and underpaid
Inventory Specialists (Former Employee) –  MarylandNovember 12, 2018
Decent company with terrible managers. Workplace culture is designed for the minions to work the hardest while upper management does nothing but gets paid generously.
good company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 11, 2018
Constant change, and good management. There is a ton of growth and development in this company, allows great medical experience and can connect with many distributors.
Good company
ICNC Machinists (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 8, 2018
Pay rate should be more but good company. They do buddy buddy systems in stead of hired first. They move you on a position but you have to fight for your raise
Pros
Off 15 days a month
Cons
12 hour shift will wear you out
Good company for someone early in their career
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 29, 2018
Not bad company to work for. Some good products however slow to innovate and create new products. Needs more M&A activity. 90% of a rep's time is spent on maintaining business at accounts/fending off competitors, however you are paid primarily on growth, so compensation doesn't align with actual activities.
Associate Sales Rep
Medical Device Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 22, 2018
Hired as an ASR or Associate Sales Representative. These positions by title are a temporary or Two year "learning period".Then after two years it is to be converted or promoted to a Full sales position. Be very aware of how the particular territory you are applying for as an ASR. So often the Area manager (boss) does not have a clear plan of succession and the ASR model is smoke and mirrors. PUT IT IN WRITING! IF not don't take the ASR position! If the position is outside a major market i.e. Portland or Seattle don't take it. They will not support business enough for you to expand or nurture any new business.
Pros
Work-Life balance for Reconstruction reps. Only
Cons
Reconstruction reps are 1099 means NO BENEFITS...ZERO! No heath, vacation, you pay taxes, gas, everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith & Nephew. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight