Smith & Noble

• Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Great people tough job

They hire a good group of people but they often load up work and add more tasks without opportunity for growth in income. Seniority in the company seems to be unappreciated.

The work never ends

Working for Smith & Noble is a double edged sword. I love the clients. I am lucky to meet and work with some wonderful people and collaborating with them in the design of their window treatments is great fun. That’s where it stops. The micromanaging of everything we do is absurd. The antiquated processes include excel spreadsheets for tracking follow-up work, sales, etc. stems from an inability to embrace technology. The constant babysitting required for post install issues is a full-time job itself. The ever changing contacts for Quality Assurance agents without any communication as to who the contacts du jour are creates confusion and frustration for designers and customers. Now add into the mix regional managers who shouldn’t be in the position and play favorites based on perceived quality of sales. Weekly meetings that regurgitate the same info week after week. No attempts by management to create a sense of community with designers. Lack of communication about anything relevant and overloading designers with nitpicking and paperwork that basically results in zero work life balance. I love what I do. I hate that the company doesn’t support an environment that would make this job easier and more enjoyable. 😕

Pros

Clients

Cons

Low commission structure with virtually no ability to fix their mistakes on pay, clients are not sent same designer if they call the company directly for additional work, poor communication, micromanagement

Hard place to work

People seemed to like working for them. I found it really hard to get accurate help within the company. Excellent and demanding training but once actual work started found huge gaps in critical information. Not a lot of support from management. Fully commissioned work, long days with no pay.

Pros

Not a lot.

Cons

Long hours, unmanageable amount of samples, hard to navigate product information, little support from management.

Best place I have ever worked!

I love this company! The management team is smart, caring with no egos and no politics. My coworkers are kind, fun and respectful to each other. Our culture is the best I've ever experienced. We enjoy fun activities every month. Our healthcare costs have stayed the same and not been increased in 8 years. We also get time off to support our community. It's been a great 5 years!

great job with flexibility

This is a great company to work for. They have excellent training for the In home Design department with additional on going training. They have lots of flexibility for a good work life balance.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Pay is the only bad aspect

The location, transparency of the companies finances, work culture is great, advancement opportunities are available. The benefits are excellent. The pay for hourly employees is approximately $5-$10 less than other companies.

good company

Strong industry, good growth and potential for further growth. Great team and management. Leader in industry. Room to move and grow. Positive work environment

Good company, but the pay is low

Smith & Noble is a good company. The training is very good and management is supportive and encouraging. The pay structure does not appear to support long-term employment. More resources should be spent on employee incentive dollars and rentention.

Pros

Good work life balance policies

Cons

Very low commision and bonus structure. No merit raises.

Great place with great people, not enough work.

I was able to work from home and run appointment in clients homes. Only one appointment per day and when work is slow it is very poor pay for commission only.

Company Not Good, in any manner.

I had originally applied for an in-house design position and they offered me, based upon my experience an in-hose designer position. Smith & Noble hired me as a full-time company employee in the in-home designer position. Designers in the same territory was getting 60 leads per month, I was getting 7, pretty much a volunteer position.. Then, I found out that that Smith & Noble was violating California Labor Laws. I would not recommend this company to anyone. The Mission Statement is to grow by referrals.....Your paycheck cant be based upon referral business.

Pros

Good Story

Cons

Volunteer Position, Claims Transparency, Dishonest Company.

Customer Service

Smith & Noble was a great place to work. I enjoyed my time there. Management was caring and created a pleasant work environment. Plenty of opportunity to grow and move up in the company.

Pros

Great work environment.

Cons

So happy to have found this company

I have been an in home designer for about 8 years...my day consists of running design appointments, following up with prior customers, answering emails, networking to further fill my calendar and following up with the office for additional paperwork. I love working with fantastic clients and helping them make their homes more beautiful! It is like my own business but with the management team has always been professional as ALL doors are always open. I work out of a home office so though I worked alone, the support we receive has been exceptional. Thank you S&N.

Pros

Amazing support

Good work/life balance, actual work is too much stress

Smith & Noble is great as far as benefits go, but the actual work is stressful. The management does not have your back when you have an escalated customer, they much rather throw them free money and remake shades if a customer throws a big enough hissy fit. Why am I here to enforce policies when I do not have the support? It makes me look and feel stupid. There needs to be more pay for the amount of work Quality Assurance Experts get. The work is not spread out evenly and you have some workers who actually do their job and others that barely put effort, yet we all bonus the same. Management needs major work and the actual product as well.

Pros

Discounts, Occasional free meals, friends

Cons

Pay, management, over worked

Successful Company that pays like you work at a Fast Food Chain

As an Inside Sales person at this company, you can work extremely hard, exceed your goals, build relationships like they ask, go above and beyond and what you take home is a paycheck like you just spent working 8 hours at a fast food chain. The type of work that you do here for a successful custom window treatment company far exceeds that kind of salary. When hiring they will make it seem like you have the potential to make great money, but in reality even their top sales people even after commission take home a salary that they cannot survive on. This company would be great to work for if they would just compensate appropriately.

Pros

Healthcare and 401K

Cons

Stressful and overloaded work but unfair pay

Productive and fun place to work

I learned to manage sales leads. I maintained clients accounts and saw them through to final sale. Educated clients about our products. Answered any questions they may have had. My direct supervisor was the best supervisor I have ever had. I felt the commission should have been greater. I learned how to follow through with sales leads and meet important goals. I was one of the top sales agents in my department, always reaching my monthly goals.

Pros

Commission, company often rewarded us with lunches

Cons

Commissions could have been better. Worked six days straight every two weeks

Extremely heavy workload

My day always flies by. That is due to a very heavy workload, and not enough time to get everything done in. The company is growing, and needs to be better staffed to keep up. The best part of the job is the people I work with. As in any company, there are slackers. Most people, however, care about what they are doing and try to keep up with an overwhelming workload. The company cares about its employees. However, upper management is somewhat out of touch. It would serve them well to get "down in the trenches" with their employees. Many of those in upper management worked their way up over 20+ years. However, the culture has changed in that time dramatically. It would give them a better picture of the challenges we face daily, and better equip them to give us the resources to manage those challenges.

Pros

Relaxed, casual atmosphere. The CEO is very transparent.

Cons

Sub par wages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Smith & Noble