Smith College Employee Reviews

Not the worst for temp student jobs
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 18, 2019
Friendly co-workers who care about your interests and career development
Flexible schedule depending on exam season/personal reasons
Learn basic office culture
Exciting and stimulating environment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 26, 2018
Reasonably paced culture and atmosphere. Nice group of people to work with and for! I also enjoyed the culture and rich history of the school and architecture which I got to see so much of in my position as Custodian.
Productive and gun workplace
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAOctober 21, 2018
Supportive and collaborative work environment, great work- life balance, supports advancement. Encourages in-house courses and training, great health benefits and retirement plan.
Pros
Regular work hours
Cons
Would like better pay
Student review
Mathematics Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAOctober 9, 2018
As a student this isn't necessarily applicable but all on-campus jobs I have had have involved very caring and appreciative faculty willing to work together with me as a student.
Not bad summer job
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MASeptember 26, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at smith college over the summer. The kids are great! Management was a little lacking though...sometimes I felt very belittled and demeaned.
Great learning environment
student (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MASeptember 19, 2018
The day of a student at Smith College is balanced. Besides classes, most students are involved in multiple extracurricular activities, whether it's sports teams, on campus organizations or off campus involvement.
Academic culture is very competitive, however recent rise of various workshops on campus has been improving the school-life balance for the student body.
Most enjoyable part of being a student at Smith is the amount of attention, time and motivation that can be found in others (professors, administration, students and even the general college staff).
Pros
Liberal arts educational system
Cons
Small community, limited access to large cities
Very company oriented
Chef (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MASeptember 17, 2018
Needs work and more concerned leadership

there seems to be a lack concern for employee feedback

Staff moral needs to be increased

There needs to be a more level playing field for all staff not just a few
Pros
free lunch
Digital Library Applications Administrator (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJune 28, 2018
Smith College provides good benefits. The campus is a beautiful environment to work in. I've worked with many great people there who are professional.
Fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMay 16, 2018
Typical day of work is very different. Depends on the events and activities of the College.

I had learn to be patient and be kind to everyone.

Work place culture is great, very diverse.

The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with such smart people all day. very talented team.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not sure..this is personal for everyone
Productive and fun to work
Research Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 20, 2018
I learned a lot working as a research assistant intern at Smith College. I learned the process of conducting a research. My primary investigator was professional.
Productive and fun working environment
Mechanics Playground Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Engineering DepartmentMarch 8, 2018
I enjoy working for the Smith Engineering department because it gives me an outlet to understand the tools and equipment outside of class time. I can also learn new things such as Arduino coding that I did not have access to prior to my job. This job was also pretty flexible time-wise, which helped with intense parts of the semester.
Pros
Flexible, interesting, learning
Cons
few hours
Research intern
Research Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAMarch 3, 2018
Good environment, and good people. I learned a lot. I would go into work and shave a lab group meeting. We would preform experiments and or analysis.
n.a
N/A (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAFebruary 15, 2018
I was not employed at Smith but the environment is great to learn. I would suggest finding a good mentor during your time at Smith in order to have the most meaningful experience.
Work Study Job
Smith College Library Acquisitions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAOctober 27, 2017
I worked as a library aquisitions assistant at the Neilson Library. It was great job as a full-time student. It allowed me to work and earn money and was very flexible with my own schedule and allowed me to work and go to school full time with out any stress.
Productive and fun work place
Psychology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAMay 24, 2017
As a Teaching Assistant, I had a great experience helping intro to Psychology students. I had a great relationship with my supervisors, who were also my professors. I had flexible hours, and was able to make my own schedule for the most part.
Pros
Quiet office hour space
Cons
There was a limit to the number of hours I could work.
Great place
Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 26, 2017
Smith is a great place to work. The only problem I'm having is the work schedule does not fit with my family life. Would love to stay but my son comes first.
terrible pla
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 21, 2017
not a place to work alot of politics liberal college cut throat people people dont care about there employes they bully you specially upper management.......
Pros
Cons
run
Laid back, but productive and successful catering and entertainment service
Gold Key Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAApril 17, 2017
A typical day at work includes me showing up for a serving shift, setting tables properly for nice events, learning of guests' dietary restrictions, helping plate food, serving food, and cleaning up and washing dishes after the event.
Work Study is awesome in this Institution
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 4, 2016
I worked multiple jobs on & off campus while attending Smith College. My fav experience was during my freshman year, working at a kitchen worker in Hubbard House. I loved my supervisor, Jackie. Years after I left Smith, I still maintain a relationship with my fav boss. I also visit occasionally with my kids. This is the best work environment I ever had, even after college. Everyone was friendly, and we helped each other out. The chef and dining room coordinators seemed to love what they do and did a great job too. I think one of my favorite things about smith is that their dining and housekeeping, as well as other laborers are so kind. They made attending Smith and my work study experience great. Everyone loves them.
Great place to work.
Director, Educational Technology Services (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MANovember 2, 2016
Very supportive environment, with a great leadership team. The students and faculty are fantastic. Plenty of resources to do what you want.