Smith Gardens Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It’s a good place to work.
Labor (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WAJuly 21, 2018
Smith garden is a good place I want to work here but it's a seasonal job and when the work load is poor they just layoff the workers. It should be all season job.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Short breaks
average for the industry
SHIPPING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WAJune 22, 2018
difficult to have a work / life balance during the season. you work long hours as part of the leadership team, with almost impossible expectations to attain.
Pros
the people you work with
Cons
no vacation time / long hours
Wish I hadn't left...
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 11, 2018
The hardest working co-workers I have ever worked with, and plenty of longevity with the company (people start and only seem to leave when they retire). It's hard work with long hours no matter the position, the pay is typical for ag, and people are passionate and there are plenty of opportunities to learn and get involved in other things.
Pros
The PEOPLE are hard working and friendly, longevity, lots of opportunity to learn, passionate leaders, Lean training, events, may purchase product at a discount, occasionally get left over product for free, get to be a part of a team..
Cons
Pay is at AG rates, employees stay which inhibits opportunities to advance, and occasional politics.
Un lugar muy bueno para trabajar
Coordinador de Operaciones (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAApril 21, 2018
Yo empecé laborando en el campo, aprendiendo desde abajo. Ascendí rápido por el empeño que le di al trabajo. Cuando me fui de la compañía mi titulo era de coordinador de producción, inventario, y embarcación.
It was fun working here as their HR specialist
Recruiting Associate (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMarch 13, 2018
I had a good time working here. It was, however, a mental challenge to work comfortably in an office for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, getting paid twice the hourly rate as the nursery workers, who worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week.
Pros
Good People to work with.
Cons
Nursery employees deserved better pay.
Flexible and kind staff
Garden Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMarch 7, 2018
Their management staff is helpful and kind. Easy to work with. However, I found it ver difficult to work with the store employees I was merchandizing at.
Very productive and quick moving
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 25, 2018
I enjoyed working at Smith Gardens and really enjoyed the people I worked with. I learned a tremendous amount and matured greatly in my 6 years working there.
Pros
Good money& good people to work with
Cons
Management could be challenging to deal with
Good Job
On-site Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDNovember 17, 2017
If you like a job that is demanding physically than this would be a great job for you! Management could be more organized however for the overall job it works.
Exciting Product line.
Merchant Lead (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 10, 2017
My supervisor was knowledgeable and understanding of merchandising and educational on plants. Flexibility and job direction was great. Learned a lot on retail and thank my supervisor for being a part of it.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Seasonal
An awesome outside job working with flowers
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 27, 2017
I love working for Smith gardens. You pretty much work by yourself . My manager wouid come to my store a couple times a week and other then that you are responsible for following the P.o.g. and doing your best. The company has other employees that work year round. My job is only seasonal. So no benefits or vacation . That is the only drawback.
Pros
Work alone, just being able to work outside during spring and summer is great to me
Cons
Seasonal job
hard work but not worth the pay
Nursery Worker (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WASeptember 18, 2017
I worked very hard 12 hour shifts everyday sometimes Saturdays and I only got a 50 cent raise finally after a year, didn't get paid for over time or have any benefits so it was just not the ideal job for me at the time.
Hard physical work
Lead Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 31, 2017
Fun job but must love to work hard and outside in all types of weather. Very physical, heavy lifting, pulling and pushing racks. Constantly on your feet all day.
Pros
Physical activity
Cons
Seasonal job
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAAugust 23, 2017
Its not that bad quick cash its has different weather conditions with some of the worst conditions resulting in leaving early and finishing later when weather conditions are better
Great Place
Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILAugust 1, 2017
Smith Gardens is a wonderful place to work. It is a very professional and family oriented work environment. The boss is very friendly and kind and the staff works well as a team.
Great job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 17, 2017
I was a merchandiser for smith gardens. There was always something to do and I always got the job done. I learned a lot about plants and organizing. It was a great job.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Hard work
Fun place to work
Shipping Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WAJuly 14, 2017
The management really cares about their staff, and it shows! It's a fun place to work. All of the employees seem to enjoy working for the company.
Lots of employee appreciation events.
Cons
Health beneits are pricey
Great work environment witha great staff
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAFebruary 13, 2017
At Smith Gardens Floral nursery I would help the supervisor out with little tasks and always checking all orders were placed on time and printed and reviewed daily. Always finished my work on time and did as told. It was a great place to work at and learned a lot and took that knowledge to my other jobs.
Great place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORDecember 25, 2016
Always something new to learn, never a dull moment. I was always up to something new each week. Either I was working with irrigation, or even sales. I learned so much during this experience.
Fun/ Time Consuming
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAAugust 24, 2016
No Management interaction therefore no chance to make a career. Seasonal. Pro is they are flexible with hours but put a lot of pressure. I would recommended job for someone just looking for a side job.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
hours, weather, no interaction
Hard working environment with decent employess
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 27, 2016
I worked here for a seasonal job and it was a terrible time. The work was completely fine, but one co-worker just made things awful. None of the people I worked with could speak English, which is fine but a co-worker who was suppose to help me with all the heavy lifting, purposely slowed down his own pace so that I would do most of the work. This happened during my first week but then turned out to just be okay later on.
Pros
Fair, opportunity
Cons
Low pay, hard labor