Smith Village Employee Reviews

Featured review
Smith Village selected this as a representative review
Great working environment
LPN/RN (Current Employee) –  NursingAugust 5, 2017
Good Nurse:patient ratio, friendly staff and management okay benefits opportunities available for advancement. Staffing can be a challenge but so is everywhere else. Best place to work if interested in the long term setting.
A Good front
Dietary Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2019
Poorly trained management. Favoritism and a lack of concern for hard working employees. I do not recommend you work here in any department. You will be disappointed.
Pros
Pay is better than many senior communities, decent work hours
Cons
Needs fresh eyes in management, stunted growth of company due to maintaining a negative status quo
Clean & well maintained
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2019
Its one of best senior facilities in Chicago. Also they hv free lunch for staff or you can buy something from their menu. Management could work on their communication between departments. Also, there is a bit of favoritism that goes on but i guess that's true for most jobs.
Pros
free lunch, clean facility
Cons
Poor communication, subpar schedule mngmnt
February 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for all your contributions to our community. We’re thrilled you rank us highly among senior living communities in the area. It’s why we’d like to learn more about your concerns in regard to communication and favoritism so we can ensure Smith Village remains the best place to live and work. Please feel free to reach out to our human resources department at your earliest convenience to confidentially share additional insight. We’re looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.

Great residents and workable workload
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2018
getting residents up for breakfast, showering, help with toileting entertain residents with activites, chart put them to bed and any other daily needs.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
high turn over
October 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for all that you do. Career satisfaction is a top priority for us, and we’re glad you’re having a largely positive experience at our community. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us should you have any additional feedback. Best regards!

Fun place to work
Cook/Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisSeptember 13, 2018
The residents were nice & management was fair. Employees got along well for the most part. Residents seemed to really appreciate the food produced in the kitchen, but weren't afraid to tell if you if they didn't like it.
September 18, 2018

We greatly appreciate the feedback and are happy to you enjoyed your time with us. Exceptional dining is an important part of the Smith Village experience and we’re thankful for your contributions to the culinary team. Best wishes in all your future endeavors!

Enjoy my Coworkers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
Smith village is a decent place to work for have alot of benefits like in pto,vacation time.Work hours are able to balance out your personal life the only down fall is management and money.
Pros
Hours every other weekend off
Cons
Dont make enough make
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your continued service and for sharing your experience with us. We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying many of the perks of working at our community. We strive to offer benefits that are commensurate with experience and competitive within the local market and would like to learn more about your reservations regarding management and compensation. Please reach out to Karen Jellema, our HR Manager, at 773-474-7355 at your earliest convenience. It’s through feedback like yours that we’re able to enhance the team member experience and we’re looking forward to hearing from you.

Horrid
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2018
this job was poorly poorly poorly operated. the staff from the managers to the high ups had no clue how to run a business.. feel bad for the elderly people there.
October 3, 2018

Team member and resident well-being is of the utmost importance to us, and we’re disappointed to hear that your perception of our community isn’t reflective of the positive workplace environment that we foster day in, day out. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you one-on-one to learn more about your experience. Please reach out to our HR Manager Karen Jellema at 773-474-7355 at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Work At Smith
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Great place to work/stepping stone for learning as a CNA. Team work and great residents. Acuity of patient and work load not heavy. Clean environment and good benefits. The company provides a lot of opportunities to come together as a work family with picnics and dinners.
Cons
Management can be petty and show favoritism
Cool place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2018
I enjoyed my stay at SV. The kitchen crew was great and the head chef was cool. The benefits (bonus) from the residents were great around the holidays. I left for more responsibility and advancement of my career otherwise I would have stayed.
Excellent place to work
Sanitation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beverly, Chicago, ILDecember 29, 2016
Amazing, warm, friendly environment to work in. With incredible residents, staff, and management team who works extremely hard to keep our resident and their families happy.
Fun easy work
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2016
I enjoyed working at this job so much I got to bond and connect with the elderly. My only dislike is that I grew a connection with some of the residents and then they would pass away so it felt like a new heartbreak each time. I also learned the importance of certain diets and it's health benefits.
Was a great place
Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2016
Smith Village was a good place to work until Administration shifted the building operations focus from the safety and security of its current residents to the marketing and sales of future/potential residents.
Fun work place with teamwork
Certified Nursing Assistant/ Restorative Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2016
Performing arom, prom,adl,feeding and ambulation programs.Teamwork is essential. Management need more training.Co-workers are great.I love to see residents smile ,when their needs has been met
Pros
Fresh salad bar, Delicious food
Cons
Short breaks
poor management
Laundry Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2016
not the type of job u should get to comfortable at. its the perfect job for a college student. I wouldn't rely on this job as a career. some of the staff is ok to work with. its more so the management.
Server
server (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2015
Great work environment
GReat people to work with
residents are awesome
had a great time working here
friendly environment
Pros
free lunch, works with your schedule
Cons
pay is ok, no paid breaks
I love
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2015
I love cooking for senior citizens they make me laugh and smile. I love to provide excellent quality service. My day consists of making salads, fruit plates, cheese trays, and desserts. I hated doing the same thing everyday. I did not giving the residents the same thing three times a week there was no variety residents compliained to me all the time. I did not like how the chef did not make any great employee meals or food menu for residents. Therefore, i cannot work in a place with no challenges or incentives, plus the pay stunk.
Pros
the residents are great
Cons
management is awful, co -workers are rude and unprofessional
N/a
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2015
Smith Villages flexible schedule allowed me to continue with my educational pursuit to become a nurse. The staff was professional and compassionate toward the residents.
Great Friendly environment to work with all sorts of wonderful people.
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2013
Clean and organize eating and service area, prepare and serve cold drinks, or frozen milk drinks or desserts, using drink- dispensing machines. Serve customers in eating places that specialize in fast service, select food items from serving or storage areas and place them in dishes, serving trays, or take out bags. Collect and wash dishes after meals then rearrange tables and decorations according to instructions.
love working in a retail store
Home care aide Responsibility (Former Employee) –  chicago,ilJuly 24, 2012
It was always some new to learn working in kmart business and it was a great experience
Pros
enjoy my work i have done there and the experience
Cons
alot of work but good experience
very nice place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2012
I love working at Smith Village it gives a new CNA a good experience.
The residents made the daily job that much more rewarding.
Central Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoidFebruary 29, 2012
This employer was fair for many years and they have been rated a five star facility and the standards of care were very high.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smith Village. Our community is ready to answer.

Smith Village Reviews by Location