Smithfield Chicken-N-Bar-B-Q Employee Reviews

worst place to work.
Casheir (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 11, 2019
don't work here, they don't know what they're doing. management is rude and not helpful. they don't train and they're disrespectful. i hated working here it was stressful. didn't make you feel wanted at all. i worked a long shift without no breaks or anything to drink. this job made me so sick i puked when i got home. i hope they go out of business to be honest.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great energy but also very fast-paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCJanuary 29, 2019
A typical day may be slow at first but then it picks up, you have to be on the same pace as the managers or they will get upset with and threaten to fire you.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
No breaks
Great people
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJanuary 22, 2019
Great work place to work at pay is also great I enjoyed the free lunch and the work that I did weekends off i got a lot of over time with me as much as I needed
Pros
Great
Cons
Short breaks
Terrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 18, 2019
Smithfield’s is a terrible place to work. They over work you so much and are always understaffed. They don’t train you well, they just let you figure it out by yourself. They aren’t consistent or considerately. They don’t respect or value employees. It was a terrible experience. The money was good but 100% not worth it.
productive
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCJanuary 3, 2019
management at that time had issues. they now have an all new staff. The whole staff was fired because of 2 managers issues. this could have been handled in a better way.
Awful
Fast food cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 22, 2018
As most fast-food places are, this was terrible. Company often disregarded sanitation standards and management was unskilled. Had managers put their hands on me and many managers yelled at staff in front of house and in front of customers. Humiliating workplace.
Was often a stressful environment
FOH staff (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 18, 2018
I learned how to serve customers by taking their order, making their drinks, bringing them their food, opening doors,etc. I also learned how to make sweet tea, take orders on headset, bag food and stock. I learned some of the procedures of how to close a restaurant. On a typical day I would clean tables, refill napkins and sauces, and remove customers trays. I often cleaned the bathrooms. I also would sweep or mop. The hardest part of the job was when we got really busy and when other people didn't complete their jobs or do them well. I had a very good manager who was very kind and understanding.
Pros
Received a discount on break food
Cons
When others didn't do their jobs or did them well it fell others to do them, staying very late to close often to 12:30 at night
really good environment to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCDecember 18, 2018
My day at work would start off busy getting store and food set up i learned how to run a company from the training there the management was the best customers always came first the hardest part was cleaning equipment i enjoyed this job and the employees and customers everyday
Pros
free lunch
Cons
had to be on call all the time
Many opportunites to learn new skills
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCDecember 7, 2018
A typical day was coming in to set up the store and prepare for a good business day. I learned how to multitask in a very high paced work environment. All the managers worked together to do the best we could to assist customers and help our staff with their tasks. The hardest part of the job was the stress of not having a large enough team but the team we had did amazing. I was given unlimited opportunity to move up the company but I was never given the compensation for the responsibilities
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
High turnover Small staff
Poor upper management
Assisstant Manager (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 2, 2018
You come in and open the store. Pick pork shoulders and put money in drawers. Very simple and easy. Before lunch starts get everyone in postion and be ready
Cons
Poor upper management
Great Classic Country Chicken Spot
Server (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 30, 2018
This place is basically a fancy 60's diner. A real mix of restaurant style quality and fast food style service.

It has a diner vibe, well it actually has a diner table where you can sit down with other people down the row. It has tables, booths, and outside seating. This restaurant has a great 60's theme with its hospitality, restaurant environment, and non stop 60's music.
You go up to the cashier order your food and sit down. A waitress comes out with your food and are checking up with you throughout the visit. They're suppose to always ask you if you need anything.
They have BBQ chicken and Fried chicken, the Fried chicken is on point. That BBQ chicken is marinated in the vinegar-based house sauce, which makes it so tender. They have it at all the tables. They also have hush puppies, fresh pork skins, and Brunswick stew.

I worked here and we are told to open the doors for people when they leave. This place is BIG on hospitality. We never had a full staff so I was always serving and busing 10+ tables at once alone, with a partner, or barely with more than two people.
People left tips, sometimes after I split it with my partner We'd both get 10$. It was cool I only had to share with one person rather than 6 other people but I think they've changed this policy since.
It was so crazy working here. I had to make sure I maintained the restaurant, customers, and orders all at the same time. I don't even know how I managed to maintain it all.

All I have left to say is this place is truly a restaurant to you and a fast food place to us.
Pros
BOGO stew, Two different chicken types, Fast service, 25+ Tables
Cons
No MilkShakes
fun slow paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCNovember 26, 2018
This was a fun job that allowed us to receive tips. the only thing I did not like was the pay and the ability to work. if labor was high you get sent home, which ultimately affects your check.
It is a good workplace. The hours are inconsistent.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCNovember 24, 2018
I like my job, but there is no time to do anything outside of work and I am still not financially stable. I would like different hours but they do not work with me.
It sucks don't do it
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 9, 2018
I'm telling you right now from any one who has works there, it sucks it really sucks no one knows what their doing all the management was bad except for one manager and he was the store manager any other managers were really bad at doing their job, and the store was a complete reck
If you just needed a Job or a quick lession on the world is not fair
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCOctober 26, 2018
A typical day started with, not knowing where you would be working for the day. Positions sometimes changed seven or eight times before it was settled and that process could take an hour, and usually was changed by an assistant manager, going above the store manager because they didn't like where they where. Depending on where position you were in, you could either have to many people there making you inefficient because not everyone has a job and there are to many people trying to figure out what to do; or on the other end, you have no help at all and it is during a rush, meaning some things get messed up, and that comes back on whoever was working the position, regardless. The turn over rate is really high, the quality has dropped like a rock. Its not worth it.
Pros
Some days are slow
Cons
Inconsitant schedualing, poor management, all around bad working invirement.
It was an ok place to work not enough pay
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Fuquay-Varina, NCOctober 16, 2018
Was an ok place to work fast passed. not enough pay for the tasks required and stress of the very fast paced day to day customers. the coworkers were nice overall and the management was supportive.
Entertainment, fun place to eat and watch tv
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCOctober 15, 2018
Nice place to come pick up and go or sit down and enjoy your food. Service is great never really a problem to handle or take care of anything. Everything is clean and professional.
very good first job
cashier (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 11, 2018
I enjoyed smith fields, it was an excellent first job. A great experience for me as a young man learning what it meant to become apart of the workforce.
New management
Crew Member and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCSeptember 23, 2018
Management has changed cooperate has taken back over hours have been cut underpaying for services no breaks for shorter shift that 9 hours
Discounts on meals
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No breaks
Company gives you lots of hours However it’s a lot of selfish coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCSeptember 22, 2018
On the outside of the company it’s service involves good food and great customer service. However when it comes to the employees and how they are treated it’s a different story. Not enough workers meaning you are constantly call on your days off or asked to stay longer.
Pros
Hours given, 50 percent off your meal.
Cons
Short to no breaks.