Smithfield Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,352 reviews matching the search See all 1,360 reviews
Featured review
Smithfield Foods selected this as a representative review
Respectfull, educational, and definitely a safety conscious company
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Crete, NEAugust 1, 2018
Have been on tour and orientation at other plants and this company in crete is amazing!!! Personally I think orientation is a bit long, but.... safety and policy is very important, and they are doing the most they can to educate and orientate new hires, very clean and open door policy is true, plus HR is on top of their game. Upper management is amazing, trainers seem to be very helpful.
Obviously the pay and benefits are great with Smithfield's, very happy with my career at Smithfield.
Pros
Pay, benefits, advancement opportunities, and management is very involved
Cons
My only complaint is my own problem, im relocating, and I drive 1hr 20min one way... but that is not Smithfield's fault.
Pretty laid-back job but stressful
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 13, 2018
It was a nice job to start off with but it's got stressful as the years went on it was not a trustworthy place as far as mechanics and management won't go back
Productive Environment
Supervisor, Production, Managing (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 13, 2018
Good place to work. Great benefits if you're a full time employee. The employees are well knowledgeable about their environment, their jobs, and what they entail.
not for everyone
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Junction City, KSNovember 12, 2018
jobs here are very hard on your body and family not a place everyone would like to work. pays okay but could be a lot better management is poor and has favoritism great benefits
Long days.
cryo pack (Former Employee) –  Cryo PackNovember 11, 2018
I would come in at 9 AM and was told by management I was only to work until 5:00 but actually made me work until 6:30 lol sometimes 7:30 lol and on top of these hours you work 7 days a week yes 7 days a week. The food for lunch and breaks not very tasty or good. They whip you while you work lol meaning you do nothing but WORK 7 days a week no days off. That needs to change if Smithfield wants to keep they're employees. 9 to 5 Monday through Saturday would've been just fine but I was there M-S then at the end of the shift on Saturday you're supervisor walks around with a sign that says all will work on Sunday . Not for me.
Pros
Great money and health insurance.
Cons
To many hours and working every day of the week and the food not so good.
contract temporaty job
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, KSNovember 10, 2018
The assignment was temporary so I had a lot to learn in a short amount of time to fill in for the person moving on to another position in the company.
Pros
learn new software
Cons
contract temporaty job
Long hours, always wanted you on your feet. not aloud to sit down even when nothing going on
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCNovember 10, 2018
Not a bad company, great pay and benefits. Management needs lots of work. Very poor communication between workers and management. Hard to advance unless you buddy buddy with supervisors or management.
Pros
great pay and benefits. Company meat sales
Cons
Management is not the best
Ok but not the place for much advancement.
Adu Driver and Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Princeton, MONovember 9, 2018
Everything was face paced with lots to be done and fixed and always felt like never enough time. Left a lot of time before dark for work and wasn't back home until after dark.
Pros
Lots of new equipment to work with.
Cons
not much time at home.
Great place to work for those who love diversity
Pork processing plant, Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 8, 2018
At the time I was employed there, the work force was very diverse. It was a pleasure to serve the bilingual work staff and assist with different cultures while working human resources.
Pros
pay, work environment, many perks
Cons
the smell of work working at a pork processing plant
Handsaw operator (Former Employee) –  Tarheel, NCNovember 6, 2018
Must be able to work in very cold temperatures got temperatures also must be able to use knifes must be able to left over 50 to 60 pounds must be able to work at a very fast pace
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
good pay & benefits
Retail Operations Manager -Broker Manager (Current Employee) –  New York MetroNovember 6, 2018
work from home position
full benefit package medical, dental, life, 401k company pension
paid sick time and vacation
Company car, cell phone,and computer
Not a bad environment
Maintenance Machinist (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working there, relaxed for the most part of the shifts. When personal things come up they will try and work with you, a nice small little company.
Would not recommend if you do not like the smell of pigs or working in the cold standing in one spot for hours
Secretary/Production Line Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 5, 2018
A place to work to save up money for a little while until you find something else. If you don't like working in the cold standing on one spot for hours wearing layers of clothes all year round working with ex cons felons perverts or have people insult your intelligence snitching picking, harassment, etc. Not a place to work. The getting paid every week is good. U get health benefits.If you have flashy long designed nails or like to wear piercings not a place for
Pros
Getting paid every week
Cons
Lack of hours
fun place to work
Production General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 3, 2018
Well over all the company keeps you busy so with that its great place to work.also we get free meal tickets at times and that is cool and the breaks are shorts so that part isnt cool at all.Smithfield foods gave me a job when i needed that and i appreciate that for real.
Pros
free meal tickets
Cons
breaks are short
Smithfield Foods Rocks!
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 2, 2018
I just started a new career with Smithfield Foods and so far I have had an amazing experience. I knew this place was different when I walked in and was greeted by smiling employees. Everyone I have come in contact with has had nothing but positive things to say about their individual jobs and the company as a whole. Smithfield Foods offers great benefits, competitive pay, and a great family-like atmosphere. I highly recommend working for Smithfield Foods!
Pros
Benefits, competitive pay, great atmosphere, friendly staff, great morale
Cons
No Cons so far.
Develop long term relationships with many employees
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 1, 2018
Unfortunately my leaving was the direct results of poor management! Upon returning from an incentive trip to Ireland, I was told directly we brought you in to Smithfield to fire you but we feel we may lose 60% of our business in the core market and therefore cannot get rid of you. Two weeks after I left Smithfield my boss at the time decided to leave as well. Had I known this, I would still be at Smithfield today.
Fine company to work for no complaints
SUPPLY PLANNER (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILOctober 30, 2018
Fine company to work for, no complaints, growth company within the pork industry, good benefits and pay in accordance with industry standards, learned many things as part of personal development
Poor Management
Demand Planner (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VAOctober 30, 2018
Micromanaged exempt employees and little to no onboarding programs. Middle Management with no accountability or checks and balances. Interdepartmental confusion and battling prevents actual productivity at this company.
It’s not that bad
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VAOctober 29, 2018
I worked on the kill floor. It’s extremely hot in the summer kinda hot the rest of the year. They have fans and cold water for you on the production line. One hour break
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Breakdowns
Fast paced, diverse cultures, lack of advancement
Belly Table Processing Worker (Former Employee) –  Denison, IA 51442October 28, 2018
Fun environment, more then enough in benefits and pay. The lack of advancement due to favoritism and or discrimination. Management is slowly being weeded out at the moment.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
A lot of hours. One day off
Well productive
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCOctober 27, 2018
I enjoyed working with this company and was told I could return within a year and have the ability to change from second shift to day shift as a rehire, just have to provide them with my school hours.
Pros
Stress free work space
Cons
Not enough time allowed during breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smithfield Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss