Smithfield Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,221 reviews matching the search See all 1,229 reviews
my opinion
Packer/ Box Maker (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCSeptember 19, 2018
A typical day at this job was competitive and fast paste. You had too be dress appropriate to the weather. I learned how to do several different jobs. The hardest part was staying warm.
Pros
pay
Cons
temperature
I have been very happy with Farmland/Smithfield.
Accounts Payable Freight Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2018
I have been a very happy employee with Smithfield. They are moving the finance portion of our business to our Lisle, Illinois office. I have had great advancement and really enjoyed the people here. We have a hard working staff and I will miss that environment. We were told there would be employment opportunities within the company and those have not really panned out. They are keeping temporary workers in some of those positions due to head count issues. I understand this is a business decision and it is time for me to go in a new direction.
Pros
A lot of great people work here.
I worked with a few people that I learned from, all in all was a fun experience to work for them
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CASeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed my time, but I need more challenges being in the route business for so long..need to move on. I feel the need to branch out back into supervision.
Hard Work, Positive Contributions will result in promotion - lot's of opportunity
Manager Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, VASeptember 16, 2018
A hard working committed employee will do well in this organization. Lot's of promotional opportunities, and training opportunities. You can move between business units.
Pros
Promotional Opportunties Abound. Stable Industry. Training Available. Profitable.
Cons
Long Hours Likely Required.
Overall
Production (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VASeptember 14, 2018
Cold
Orientation 3days
No experience needed
productive
Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 14, 2018
fast pace and very productive. work place was always up to good clean standards and management treated every employee as an equal. A typical day at work would mean sometimes someone would call out and you would have to pick up extra shifts.
Pros
pay was really well
Cons
employees not working together as a team sometimes
Good hours and plenty of paid time off
Herdsperson (Former Employee) –  Milan, MOSeptember 13, 2018
It was nice working for this company for so long but with my salary not going up, it was time for me to find a new higher paying job. Would recommend for people living in the area.
Pros
Plenty of paid time off
Cons
Low paying salary
Great Job
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tarheel, NCSeptember 10, 2018
I love this job great place to work... I wish I was still working there today... I made good money and it wasn't a hard job to work... I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Never knew when I was getting off work.
Ok company to work for
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCSeptember 6, 2018
Very competitive environment, saw some favouritism and this ended my career with this company. Feel that with better management could had been better when I worked there
Working as a finishing swine fieldman has helped me learn all aspects of swine production.
Territory Production Swine Manager (Current Employee) –  Northwest Iowa. Live in Sioux Rapids, IowaSeptember 5, 2018
After working at sow units for 10 years I enjoy the finishing side of swine production much better. Smithfield is one of the largest fully integrated swine integrator in the world and has excellent job security. If the production side of things is not making money, the cold meat production side will make up for it. Being a Territory Production Manager in Northwest Iowa has many positive challenges everyday and I continue to learn something everyday in the production of swine. There is always job opportunities with Smithfield with possibilities of relocating. Smithfield not only has job security but the health benefits are very excellent. There is a great 401K benefit. I am looking to relocate to Southwest Iowa to be closer to my wife’s family and this area has the possibility for a great career in Agriculture.
Pros
Very positive and enjoyable working environment everyday.
Cons
Productive and fun workplace to be in
Kill Floor Operator (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VASeptember 5, 2018
Very good workplace very good work environment I would recommend anybody to go work there because they would like it and would adapt to it . The supervisors are very to get along with and the people are very easy to get along with and the work is not hard
Fast paced but well paid.
Engine and Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 2, 2018
Higher stress job but compensated well. Training was available and so was advancement. Middle management was not always the best but the upper management of the department would listen and help with problems. I would work there again.
Production and the people
Handler (Former Employee) –  Tar Heel, NCSeptember 1, 2018
Individuals are treated like slaves at this job. They made me work hard but we could never reach forty hours or overtime. There was a lot of unjustified thinkings going on in re plant with the supervisor and people with power I would never work their again I deserve to be treat like a human being
Pros
Nothing good to say
Cons
Short break they were less then thirty minutes
Very fast paced
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Plainwell, MIAugust 30, 2018
Enjoyed working at Smithfield learn many thing and achieved many goals .Had lots of training and work with USDA .I would have stayed at Smithfield but relocated to different town
Pros
Paid vacation, paid training
Cons
Work many hour
Fast pace a lot of reworking product
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IAAugust 30, 2018
Not happy time to go no bid job
Moved around a lot handle raw product or pack finished ham and Turkey with reworking a constant bad equipment
Just worn out
Pros
Meat sale
Cons
Poor training
Too much favoritism
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MNAugust 29, 2018
Worked in first shift at the beginning, very enjoyable team work and Management seem to work with you as long as job was getting done. Due to personal reasons had to move to second shift, bad experience, Management has way too much favoritism. Would definitely not recommend working on second shift.
Very unorganized company
FINAL TRIMMER (Former Employee) –  Tar HeelAugust 28, 2018
management was very stressful and they don't seem to put alot of effort into caring about their employees. Fights always occurred and people don't know how to work together at all.
Pros
Descent money to be made
Cons
Environment, Employees, Employer, Unprofessional
Smithfield is one of the best companies one can work for
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VAAugust 26, 2018
Dedication, motivation strong mind and focus always be to work on time. Respect your coworkers the same way you expect to be respected. Keep a safe and neat, clean work area
Pros
Smithfild packing is one of the best companies you can work for.
Cons
Disrespectfull coworkers and management
You can make a living and provide for your family but you will not have a life.
Crewleader (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, VAAugust 26, 2018
Smithfield Foods is a great place to make decent money. You can pay your bills and provide for your family. You can also advance quickly. Thing that I dislike is the repetitive weekend work.
company do in house advancement
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCAugust 26, 2018
job pays weekly have to get use to the cold can be face pace they also pay real good money they have meat sales they feed us lunch on a regular basis benefits are outstanding my last job I was paying $100 weekly just for me for medical and dental this job I pay less than $31.54 is what I pay dental medical and vision for me my 23 yr old son and 18 and 17 yr old daughters hard to beat that you get company discount on a lot of products and merchants there room for advancement if you want to or a job posting comes available union is also with the company you 2 yrs vacation time after the first year 2 days sick time the point system you can earn points by working on your blue days which are your schedule day off work overtime like you want break room has everything you almost find at a groceries store
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
work most weekends though don't spend alot of time with family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smithfield Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight