Smithfield Foods

Smithfield Foods Employee Reviews

United States2,009 reviews
Found 2,009 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Smithfield Foods selected this as a representative review
Respectfull, educational, and definitely a safety conscious company
Have been on tour and orientation at other plants and this company in crete is amazing!!! Personally I think orientation is a bit long, but.... safety and policy is very important, and they are doing the most they can to educate and orientate new hires, very clean and open door policy is true, plus HR is on top of their game. Upper management is amazing, trainers seem to be very helpful.
Obviously the pay and benefits are great with Smithfield's, very happy with my career at Smithfield.
Pros
Pay, benefits, advancement opportunities, and management is very involved
Cons
My only complaint is my own problem, im relocating, and I drive 1hr 20min one way... but that is not Smithfield's fault.
Hard work pays
Great stuff sales self motivated personal only. It is like owning your own business . Fun times with lots of people you will meet. Long hours until you get used to the route.
the kinston site is not a very good place to work
supervision is done subjective rather than objective decision are often made on a personal basis than task- related.collected points of views are not allowed or avoided.
Slave job
This place operates on the master system long as you making money and slaving lines you are ok. Treat workers bad like machines bad place to work no g
It’s a ok job
It’s a ok job to work at good benefits but if you can’t work in a cold environment or can’t deal with the smell I advise your not to work here because that’s what you mostly going be surrounded around
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Live your job
If you enjoy working without any thanks or working for a bunch of incompetent corporate employees this jobs for you. Never any praise for jobs well done only what more can you do for me.
Pros
Good crew workers
Cons
Corporate incompetence
Decent pay, Horrible management
Spent nearly 10 years working for Smithfield. The management has greatly declined in the last 5 or so years. You can expect plenty of little buddy relationships. So if you aren’t part of one of those little “cliques” don’t expect to advance or be heard. Benefits are probably the only true Pro of working here because no matter how much you get paid it will not be worth the mental strain this place has on you
Firstly, on a typical work day, I would take measurements of the materials within the silos. Secondly, I would log that data, within my first hour of the shift, by using Micro Soft Excel. Lastly, I would note what feed was needed, via the production reports, and make the required feed.
You have to be self-motivated
You're on your own on your route so you have to be self-motivated. My manager is NOT helpful at all. I went about 2 months never hearing from him. I haven't seen him in over 3 months. He is supposed to be out in the field helping the reps periodically, but can never be reached. Does all communicating through text messages, NEVER as a phone call. I don't know how other areas in the company are run, but my area is run horribly.
I would never tell any body to go there not even my worse enemy
terrible place to work they tell you do what you are told or leave we will hire some else we do not care the plant manager calls himself GOD he does not even try to hide it they do not care I had a supervisor tell me and not just me there were several of us there he said the only thing that matters and how long you will be able to stay is how well the management likes you it does not matter how well you do your job
They don’t listen to staff
They definitely have changed over the years and not for the good. Management doesn’t like to be questioned even though they are new and the workers have been there for a while. Job use to be enjoyable, but now is a dread to go too
Pros
Pay
The environment
This was a much different environment than what I was used to. Much more fast paced and I had never worked in a meat production plant before. The cold air was the hardest part to get used to.
Production stress bothers some supervisors.
Some of the supervisors have poor personnel skills.They don't know how to properly deal with the stress of the job and will occasionally take it out on workers.
This is not all of the supervisors just a minority of them.
Good place to work! Good hours and easy to move up into management good people to work with..management treats employees good no stress...............
Not worth the effort.
This job sucked, I hated it and don't want to work here. You'll get the rona due to the lack of care from management. Mwahaha I'm just messing with you, I don't care.
Wouldn’t Recommend
This job changed drastically over 6 months for the WORSE ..they fired majority of management and supervisors and started a new rate system that very few employees could meet. The new management have little experience in this field and sent this place into a whole..
Upper Management
Need better management and Superviser show favoritism to certain people, good environment to work at if you’re a felon other then that the money is ok but it is cold.
Smithfield
Not a pleasant place. Favoritism not allowed off for illness during training. Training is not consistent. No voice allowed. Union a joke. Senior employees harass you. It is allowed.
great
its a job, good pay depending on the department, and the season they have there down time great benefits. stay to yourself place is big. stay ppe,focus
Pays well offers benefits and programs but not really involved with there employees
its a good job to have bc of the pay but overall you are a number and expected to just show up work and leave its a thoughtless job no mental stimulation
smithfield
Its an OK job. if you like working in the cold. it can be a headache at times. good pay and benefits. management is OK . the hardest part of the job is the cold.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smithfield Foods. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Smithfield Foods.