SmithFoods Employee Reviews

No communication, terrible management
Ice Cream Maker (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 14, 2018
No communication,no room to advance, terrible back breaking work, you get treated terrible but just as long as the work gets done,unsafe environment and old broken down machines...I wouldn’t tell my worst enemy to work here!!!! Save yourself run far far away!!
Pros
Unlimited icecream and chocolate milk
Cons
Poor management, no communication, old broken down machines
Many Challenges
Senior Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHSeptember 13, 2018
Overall a good place to work. Different departments can be challenging. Company is growing and reaching into diverse product areas that will allow the company to survive.
Great associates and benefits
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Pacific, MOJuly 30, 2018
Company health benefits are great and affordable, vacation is plentiful. The associates work hard and the facility is growing. Production has to get done which can make for long days, however, management is quick to acknowledge hard work and doesn’t shy away from rewarding the crew with free lunches or other small “thank you’s.”
Pros
Health benefits, 401k with match, vacation, Job security, fun people
Cons
Long hours, minimum advancement opportunitiies
Great place for a dedicated person to make a career
Associate (Current Employee) –  Pacific, MissouriApril 28, 2018
SmithFoods of Pacific is a great place to work. If you are dedicated and focused on your work you will not go unnoticed. Management has high expectations, but that is what continuous improvement & growth entails. Some of the associates are stuck in the old ways of the old plant and have trouble moving forward with the company. The general moral of the company is great other than a few people who expect something for doing nothing. It doesn't matter what position you are in or what area you are in, you can call on any team leader or group leader and get support. It's very easy to be promoted if you do your job as expected and follow the rules. Management is very understanding and flexible, there is mandatory overtime due to the company's growth, which is a great thing! The pay is competitive, the benefits are good and you get vacation time quickly. Its a small plant, everyone knows each other very well including management, its like a big family. There are a lot of people that have worked 5, 7 & 10 + years there. Overall it's an employer that can offer you a career rather than just a paycheck.
Pros
Vacation time, flexibility, supportive management
Cons
Growing company with good benefits
Current member (Current Employee) –  Pacific, MOApril 24, 2018
Appreciate the employee benefit structure put into place that gives everyone a minimum 2 weeks plus 5 floating holidays. Also match up to 4% on 401k which is nice. Everyone is kept busy all day, but we work together to get the job done. Company seems to be growing because we keep getting busier. For the most part, everyone gets along and I enjoy coming to work.
Pros
Vacation days, 401k, off most weekends
OSHA would love Pacific Mo facility
Associate (Current Employee) –  Pacific, MOApril 13, 2018
Warehouse Temp worker seriously injured on 1st day due to Warehouse & Plant Mgr's & Team Leads leaving him alone while they go out to lunch together.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, verbally abusive, toxic work environment
Toxic and hectic
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Pacific, MOMarch 30, 2018
Very toxic, short staffed they expect people to work 2 and 3 jpbs on regular basis. Sometimes floor workers do not get breaks or lunches
Meanwhile management makes sure they get their lunches everyday. NO COMMUNICATION what so ever. Work schedules change on a whim
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Management is clueless
excellent work/ life balance
Route Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHMarch 21, 2018
My day at Smithfoods starts on a Monday at about 3:00am and ends when my customers are all delivered for this day.Day usually ends between 1:00pm and 2:00pm.
I work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. At this time I have the option to work around 4 hours on Wednesday if I choose to.
I have Saturday and Sunday off.
Pros
work/ life balance
Cons
advancement
Poor management
Lab Technician/Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Pacific, MOMarch 18, 2018
Very ungrateful, unqualified management... Very poor work/life balance.

Lack of training and resources to complete the job in a timely manner. Very unorganized, poor communication.

Pretty toxic work environment.
Pros
All the overtime you want...
Cons
All the overtime you don't want...
typical day
FLEX ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Orrville, OHFebruary 21, 2018
clock in, start work, machine breaks, fix it, breaks again, fix it, short break, clock out shortly for short lunch, clock in and back to quick paced work that breaks the machines
Pros
good people
Cons
short breaks
Good work environment with good management
Part-Time Flex/Production (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHJanuary 4, 2018
good work environment, good pay, healthcare and benefits are good. the management was very kind and helpful. i learned quite a few things about the dairy industry from working here. a good place to work
Pros
free products from time to time
Cons
communication is lacking
Great people to work with, but very long hours and no opportunity for advancement in my area
Not provided (Current Employee) –  Orrville, OHFebruary 6, 2017
There are a lot of dedicated and hardworking people there who often go unrecognized. The benefits are fairly good, but there has been no bonus paid in the last few years due to lower than expected volume of sales. Sometimes it is a very tough environment.
Good work place
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INDecember 8, 2016
Co-workers listened when I told them how to work faster and listened when I would train on safety measures. I really enjoy working as Team Lead and having the respect of Co-workers. Also being part of the union was good for me.
I believed in the Smithfield Company.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, VANovember 30, 2016
Long hours; New ways to improve operation, I worked well with management group and co-workers; turnover of employees; positive performance.
Pros
Free lunch to department for positjve operation.
Cons
Good healthcare
Enjoyable place to work
Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INFebruary 1, 2016
SmithFoods is a enjoyable place to work, the employees are easy to work with and are very helpful. They think about their employees best interest and are always willing to help in helping someone succeed in their career.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmithFoods. Our community is ready to answer.