Smiths Detection Pay & Benefits reviews

Great place and great people
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 30, 2019
During my years at Smiths Detection I ran the model shop with another coworker. I was able to work with all engineers in a variety of projects. I was able to also work with the maintenance dept assisting with the production of tools or items needed for our company while holding the presidency of the union for many years. I am very proficient in welding, molding, trouble shooting and all skills that make me an expert in my field. Please refer to my resume for specifics. I truly enjoy difficult close tolerance assignments and collaborating with others.
One of my biggest priorities is providing great Customer service for internal and external customers.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
expensive health benefits however my wife carries our benefits
High technical skill set required
FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 29, 2018
Great opportunity to work with skilled technicians. Fast paced and sometimes dangerous work environment. Good local employment but misplaced management culture. Focus on the appearance of safety as opposed to actual employee safety.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities and poor management.
Great working environment, ability to advance given the opportunity
Cell Lead/Production (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJune 7, 2018
Working for Smith's Detection was a great experience. Learning on hand while being able to advance. Team playing co-workers, and awards given. Summer crab feast for employee appreciation.
Pros
Free lunches, summer hours, star awards, health benefits, location
Cons
Company layoff
Good place to work at
Field Service Technician I (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Not everyday is the same, especially in field service. Learned a lot in a short amount of time from one of the best technicians. Pretty good work environment.
Do not work here if seeking work/life balance and a positive culture
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2017
This company has a very negative work culture that is dominated by getting numbers and metrics up at any cost. The management team is high on nepotism and advancing "friends" over those who have the qualifications.
There is no balance with personal life and it is very difficult to plan ahead for personal things. This is a bad company to work for in the field if you have a family. The local regional managers do no care about peoples families, rest, fatigue or time off.
Managers will often request workers to do illegal things or dangerous tasks without proper assistance or rest in order to satisfy HQ demand for contract completion.
The pay is excellent due to the excessive overtime but eventually will wear you down and is not worth it.
Pros
Compensation is good
Cons
Culture is negative and hostile, do not value people and their personal lives
Very good management, and facilities, good industry (airline security), relaxed work atmosphere, excellent product industry.
Component Engineer (Former Employee) –  Newark, CASeptember 5, 2017
Interesting industry, company structure is good, management is great, competitive salary. Good facility, with good IT support. Hardest part of job is the testing and working with QA.
Pros
free bagels friday
Cons
More training on product
Good place to work with good people
District Service Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 31, 2017
Good place to work with good people. However the business has not kept up with its back office business management tools infrastructure.

However, with that said, we get the information that we need to operate the business, just not as effortlessly and automated as a large global business should be operating in 2017.

- Fair and flexible management team.
- Fair pay and benefits.
- Limited career mobility given current structure.
Pros
Fair and Flexible Manager
Cons
Use of antiquated, closed ended disparate business management tools infrastructure
Productive and fun workplace
Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJuly 28, 2017
We made X-ray machines used in airports. I enjoyed my job and my coworkers. We were free to play music and use cell phones, as long as your work was getting done. Sad the job had to end, but it was a contract job.
Pros
play music, occasional free lunch
Cons
contract job
Good work when they have it.
Production Assembler (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJuly 15, 2017
I loved the work I was doing. I liked most of the people there. Supervisors were ok. Upper management seemed like they didn't care about the workforce. They were not very forthcoming about work coming into the plant. I have been laid off twice now. I am stressed out because of it.
Pros
Loved the work and the benefits
Cons
Stressful because you never know if you have a job to go to the next day
Fast paced company
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDMay 17, 2017
The days are long, but when you leave you are done for the day. Always overtime is required. The pay is good for the requirements. People are friendly and helpful, but there are many changes.
Pros
benefits, safe work environment
Cons
Long days
Productive fun relaxing place to work
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDMay 9, 2017
Its a really good company with really good benefits with a union and good people. The upper management are really hands on and its a really relaxed environment with good pay.
Pros
Free lunches, free work shoes, free safety glasses
Cons
Layoffs
Constant turnover and change in leadership
Leader (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 15, 2017
U.S. based operations struggles under constant change in leadership and management turnover. Job security is low, resulting in poor job satisfaction and employee morale
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Job Security
Stay far far away
Service (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDDecember 15, 2015
What began as a great company to work for has slowly turned into the worst company. Management is completely out of touch. Decisions are made without thought of how it will impact the business. Management is hired with no clue of how to do the job, no desire to learn and no push from their boss to learn the job to then effectively coach their teams to be better. Departments work against each other and do nothing but point fingers at each other while customers suffer. There are few people in each department who really know and do their job and so they become overworked, while others get away with their inadequacies and inability of correctly do the job. No parts to fix the units. No training or mentoring program. No raises or bonuses. No profit sharing. No job security. Multiple sites have closed which has only enabled the company to stay afloat this long. Company defaults on their contracts with customers and are on the brink of the inevitable. .....the doors closing.
Pros
Close to home and t
Cons
Everything.
Co workers know how to work as a team
Employee (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNOctober 11, 2015
Upper management is out of touch with its employees. No work life balance. Co workers are great to work with. No raises or bonus given in 5 years.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No increases in compensation
Large up scale company with many opportunities for advancement.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJMay 12, 2015
SMITHS provides many opportunities in the security industries that provides both sales and service to many high end (mainly government) customers.
Pros
Provides many health benifits
Cons
Can be so large making it difficult to get things done.
Great people and work environment
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJanuary 19, 2015
This was an ideal place to retire from. Great products that served the betterment of homeland security. Facinating technology among an array of different devices. Great pay and benefits, and on the job perks. Developed great co-worker relationships that created a "family" atmosphere.
Fun, but future is always uncertain
material handler (Current Employee) –  edgewood marylandOctober 22, 2014
a great place to work, great people, good benefits but the nature of the business is so unpredictable, we can be layoff anytime
Treated me well through the years but...
Front office (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 15, 2014
I worked in the Danbury, CT location which had a great culture and a great atmosphere...but that office is closing in 2015 and moving to Maryland.

In the height of Smiths success it was an energetic and motivating place to work. But upper management and their "decision making" has ultimately lead to the downfall of this company. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

The pay is not competitive with today's market, and the business has not given raises or yearly bonuses in 6+ years. Yet, upper mgmt still pumps our their propaganda about "great successes...employee engagement...goals of the business - bla bla bla".

Upper management is completely unattached to the feelings and needs of the "common man." And morale couldn't be lower.
Pros
work-life balance, flexibility
Cons
underpaid, no incentives, too many chiefs and not enough indians
Review
Marketing  (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDMay 29, 2013
It was rewarding to work for a company that made industry leading products that screened for threats and potentially saved the lives of others.
Pros
good culture, life work balance, good location
Cons
not many growth opportunities, heavily relied on government funding, compensation and benefits
Started out fantastic, but far from there now
Operations (Former Employee) –  EdgewoodApril 8, 2013
Started out really great, great technology, people, place to work. Being 90% DOD reliant has had the site on edge for years, not knowing when or if the next contract was coming in. Not to mention the influx of new management, which doesn’t appear to be working out as planned. For now, not too stable, maybe after the DOD cutbacks are known and management has some time to figure out what to do and get on the same page.
Pros
defense industry, great people
Cons
defense industry, advancement, compensation, management