Smiths Detection Employee Review

View all Smiths Detection reviews

Do not work here if seeking work/life balance and a positive culture
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2017
This company has a very negative work culture that is dominated by getting numbers and metrics up at any cost. The management team is high on nepotism and advancing "friends" over those who have the qualifications.
There is no balance with personal life and it is very difficult to plan ahead for personal things. This is a bad company to work for in the field if you have a family. The local regional managers do no care about peoples families, rest, fatigue or time off.
Managers will often request workers to do illegal things or dangerous tasks without proper assistance or rest in order to satisfy HQ demand for contract completion.
The pay is excellent due to the excessive overtime but eventually will wear you down and is not worth it.
Pros
Compensation is good
Cons
Culture is negative and hostile, do not value people and their personal lives

Other Smiths Detection Employee Reviews

Family oriented work place
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDMarch 28, 2019
great company to work for. Interesting products. Benefits and salary are decent. Small company overall, hard to get promoted locally but opportunities may exist in other parts of the world as it's an international company.
Pros
Culture, benefits, pay
Cons
promotion potential
Great place and great people
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 30, 2019
During my years at Smiths Detection I ran the model shop with another coworker. I was able to work with all engineers in a variety of projects. I was able to also work with the maintenance dept assisting with the production of tools or items needed for our company while holding the presidency of the union for many years. I am very proficient in welding, molding, trouble shooting and all skills that make me an expert in my field. Please refer to my resume for specifics. I truly enjoy difficult close tolerance assignments and collaborating with others.
One of my biggest priorities is providing great Customer service for internal and external customers.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
expensive health benefits however my wife carries our benefits