Smiths Medical
56Below average

Smiths Medical Employee Reviews

United States158 reviews
Decent company with high turnover
Generally speaking working at Smiths was quite pleasant. Very good people and interesting work. The location in which you report greatly dictates your promotability, and a high executive turnover made it difficult for me to get to comfortable.
Worst Job I Ever Had
The Gary site is very, very small, and the majority of employees there are set in their archaic, dysfunctional ways.

I was a salary employee. A typical work day was filled with harassment from my direct coworker with whom I shared an office space along with that coworker's friend. Throughout the day the two would talk about their intimate love lives, other employees and the plant manager out loud. There were always more details said about their relationships than I wanted to hear, and the comments about the employees and plant manager were almost never positive. My direct coworker belittled me any chance that person could get along with whoever else that person did not like. Both the plant manager and HR rep knew about this person's misbehavior and maltreatment of others but neither did anything to reprimand this person. They either made excuses for the behavior or empty promises that something proactive would be done.

It seemed like my coworker had the plant manager under the delusion that the site could not function without that person. However, I constantly witnessed that person either half assing their work or trying to hand it off to someone else. My coworker was well aware of their own laziness which is why that person was threaten by me when I came along.

While working for Smiths Medical, I learned that my well being is most important. I eventually left the company in pursuit of another that actually values its employees.
Productive environment with a lot of space to meet.
They have a lot of good individuals to work with and a good working culture. It is interesting to work with people all over the globe and collaborate daily.
Choose your own judgement
Good place to work at heating and air conditioning one hour lunch and the do feed u food at least once a month management is good people to work with
Horrible and unproffesional
Was brought in as a temp. I was lied to about hiring and management did not appreciate or respect the employees. Very poor communication. Very little to no training. All in all very unproffesional. Within a month after finding new job was informed that they let all temps go and anyone who had been recently hired was fired also.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
If you like to take it up corn hole
The benefits are horrible trying to take time off for personal is hard had to fight to go to my mother in law wake and funeral you are just a number there managment has favored employees they can come back from lunch late and you get in trouble for coming back late loss most of your brakes having to gown up and down and washing hands have to kill your self for a 3% raise one a year
A great place to work
I think Smiths is a very good place to work. Very competitive salary and benefits. Leadership is also very good. A good place to start and grow.
I do recommend others to work here.
It’s a big company
This company pushes out a lot of product to its customers. They allow overtime to their employees and the starting pay is okay. A lot of people that work here have been here for a very long time
Company has been through many changes. The culture is contagious in that you learn to love the job as well as the people. Hours are fairly decent pay is decent
Very underwhelming medical company
with share holder and profit over much of anything else.
If you can handle it there you get paid decent. If not, well they go through a lot of people at any down turn.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smiths Medical?
no help from manager
has favorites, no communication, lack of leadership, don't care about the employees, does not follow up on anything. not a clean environment for a clean room
Pros
hours
Cons
confusion, lack of communication
Learning opportunity
I enjoyed my time at Smiths. Pay was ok but no raises. Supportive supervisors, but poor communication amongst the organization. Cool communicating with people from all over the globe.
Pros
Office environment
Cons
No pay raises
This was short term employment
I was only at Smiths Medical for a year. They decided to close the location I was working at soon after I was hired. It was a good company to work for but glad to move on to what I was more qualified to do.
Dumpster fire
Stay away is my recommendation. Leadership is as weak as any I have seen anywhere. Turnover is high yet they claim employee engagement is good - they say only as they want it to be. Low integrity coupled with low capability in leadership is a recipe for the problems that consistently limit Smiths.
Bad culture all around
No chance for advancement. Constant upper management turnover. Managers are incompetent. Refuse to spend any money for research and development. Never let the employees know what's going on with the demerger which causes tons of unease.
Good
6 years..good company and good benefits. Had a falling out and no longer work for Smith's but would return there if given my old job title back. The culture and atmosphere are ideal.
The company is a joke
I'm not in mood the company sucks and it really isn't a place for me to reffing on any to go work there the company sucks to work for the company is a joke and the employees are most European people and theres no room for advance unless your in the circle of the righ person
Cons
They only need you when is convenient for them and then your gone true story
Challenging Company - Going through a lot of changes
Lots of changes going on at Smiths Medical in 2020. Company has had many executive leaders change in the past 12 months including new CEO and many VPs.
Management is Terrible
It could really be a great place to work and be a growing company if management was open to change. No, ideas are ever considered, always told “We can’t change the process “. Management argues with each other and never accepts any responsibility for anything Then every year, a manpower reduction is done and you are given no notice, you show up and are walked out
Smiths has great potential, bur poor planning and worse follow through.
Cannot figure out how to treat the employees to make them want to stay. Most feel trapped with an uncertain future. Honesty would go much further than the shadow games that are played.
Not all bad but mostly
I loved the people on the production floor and in the warehouse. Nothing but good things to say about production supervisor and the warehouse coordinator.
I don’t agree with how long it takes for a temp to be hired and if you have questions for hr I recommend you save it. Head of hr is very rude and stuck in her ways. Overall if you can actually get a position in smith Then there is clearly benefits but I don’t know if the benefits out way the struggles. I’d recommend you look at else where. Smith has been going down hill for awhile now.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiths Medical. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
2.9
Ratings from women
2.4
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight