Smiths Medical Employee Reviews

A solid workplace
Environmental Health and Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 4, 2018
People are friendly. Good on the job training. Management is open, approachable and flexible. Compensation is decent. comfortable work environment. Opportunity for growth.
Terrible company should never work for them
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 6, 2019
Favoritism is number one in this company. Incompetent managers and coworkers are rude and disrespectful unless you've been there 30+ years. I would have to say never work for this company unless you like being pushed around and underpaid.
Cons
No Benefits, Unfair pay, Incompetent Mangers who favor workers.
Poor Management
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJanuary 4, 2019
The integrity of the management team is very poor. Communication and unfair treatment of the associates. Work is always more important that the people, which creates a negative environment and culture.
No advancement opportunities, but otherwise OK
Floating Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 3, 2018
If you are satisfied with your current position, working at Smiths isn't a terrible place to be. There isn't pressure to meet goals, just help the people on the phone, or on the email. However, if you are looking to use it as a stepping stone within the company, it's very difficult to get out of your current position, even to move up within the department. Rather than promoting supervisors from within the department, they went outside the company twice in the last 5 years. They pay lip service to job advancement, but I never saw it in my time there.
Pros
Regular hours, pay is competative with the rest of the city
Cons
No room for career advancement
Not reccomended
Boxroom. Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OhioJanuary 7, 2019
Stressful, competitive environment . A lot of backstabbing and very little room for advancing. There is often a lot of mandatory overtime and not enough work/home balance.
Pros
A lot of overrime if you like that.
Cons
Not enough work/family life balance
Old company with no structure or future
Senior Compliance Specialist - Global Quality (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNAugust 20, 2018
Smiths has been around for over a hundred years, but the Medical aspect is infantile. Infantile also describes their quality system, career development, management styles, and overall. There is nothing put together properly in this company and no one who can take a stand to do so. Sales rules above all else in this company including the health of you, the safety of the customers and the quality of product.
Pros
onsite cafeteria
Cons
Company policies, procedures, attitudes.
Always changing Managment and Vision
Materials (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OH 43016February 4, 2019
You have to be alble to flip flop on a dime. I realize change is good but it always seemed like the Senior management was always changing and then they would bring their team that was below qualified to do the job.
Pros
Time off was sufficent
Cons
Always in crisis mode
Not that great
Project Manager (Engineer II) (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTNovember 6, 2018
People are not friendly, mostly because they are unsatisfied with their job. Few advancement opportunities, low pay, terrible processes that hinder your day to day job
Great place to work and gain experience
Advanced Manufacturing Engineer NPI (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNDecember 3, 2018
As an AME NPI Engineer in Smiths Medical it starts with keeping track of inventory (expiry of parts, availability, etc.) and walking through the manufacturing line to check and learn the problems we face for introducing a new product. Our role also includes improving line efficiency, an up to date work instructions, etc.
Working on the above said tasks lead me to gain knowledge on how important medical devices are and how they work. It also helped to know a few things about FDA rules and regulations.

The workplace culture is cool and most of the managers try to go hand in hand with their team and are a good support.

The hardest part of the job is to always keep things moving and the best part of the job is to have an hands on experience on the medical device and you are considered to be the key person introducing it.
Good Experience for Complaint Handling
Product Surveillance Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 2, 2018
Initially my experience was good but I left quite disappointed in the company. I had a good team but the upper management was less to be desired. I would not work for this company again unless they made changes. I did not feel like a valued employee for the last month.
Satisfactory Workplace
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 27, 2018
Smiths Medical was a okay place to work. The biggest difficulty was that upper management required us to develop and conduct training when the product in which we are to train on was not yet ready.
Pros
flexible work time and area, quiet atmosphere, people
Cons
Requirements of work overload from upper management
Lousy practices working there felt like i was just a number i wouldnt even consider going back
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHJanuary 29, 2019
Not a secure place to work if you get hurt there they will get rid of you I told people not to go there because they really don't seem to care wish I never went there what a waste of time
Pros
Nice people
Cons
You spend half your breaks traveling to break areas
This is a company going through transitions
Other (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNNovember 26, 2018
The company is currently going through some major transitions. The company itself is a good company. The people are amazing and knowledgeable in their field. No major complaints about the company other than they need to discover their path before making major hiring decisions.
Pros
Free Caribou coffee
Cons
Company needs to find its way.
Good culture
R&D Intern (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTNovember 14, 2018
Lots of people that are willing to help with anything you are working on. People that have been there for years and truly know the industry to help train new engineers.
Poor management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 24, 2018
Managers are expected to be individual contributors as well as manage their team, which makes it difficult for many younger engineers to receive the mentoring that they look for. Little to no formal training. "Start up feel" in all the wrong ways.
Additional work without proper compensation.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 24, 2017
- Expect schedules to shrink and no incentive to motivate additional work
- Managers are hit or miss
- Have not seen a project completed on time
- You will work more than 40 hrs per week on average, so adjust your starting salary accordingly.
- Benefits are lacking
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
See Review
Great support
SENIOR RESPIRATORY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New England MAOctober 15, 2017
Good Environment, Good Benefits, Good flexible time off.
Co workers act like a team rather than competing amongst ourselves.
Always a quick turnaround time for questions with product availability.
Pros
company Car
No room for advancement.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHAugust 7, 2017
It was a decent job for the first couple of years. I was the only one in the Maintenance/Custodial position, after they decided to hire sub contractors. There was no room for advancement.
Pros
Communication, benifits
Cons
Benifits, no room for advancement....
It was nice to be appreciated by being treated to lunch when we met our deadline.
Rebates Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJuly 23, 2017
It is a great company to work for. Very flexible with your hours. I loved being able to work independently, I just needed a change of scenery. This is a great company to work for, they really care about the emplyoyees. I had taken custody of my cousin and brought him home from the hospital from day one. He had some health issues and they worked my schedule around his doctors appointments and with my kids school schedule. When I broke my leg they gave me the option of working from home or disability...I was so glad to have that option because I didn't want anyone to have to pick up my slack.
They are also care about their employees, example my grandma and dad had passed away and they sent me flowers. Plus they give time off for berevement, which I definately needed since my grandma raised me.
I also enjoyed the part where a "scrum board" was implemented. When someone from our team finished their work they would give us a sticker, at the end of the month we would get a prize. It wasn't much but it was the thought that counted, I would normally give it to my grandchildren.
Overall Friendly Competitive Atmosphere
Medical Device Assembler (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHMay 28, 2018
Smiths Medical is of its utmost value to provide competitive and knowledgeable employees to create and distribute quality medical device products. The number one value about Smiths Medical is safety is the key factor in making sure their colleagues are working efficiently and putting full consideration into making the device.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiths Medical. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight