Smithsonian Institution Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAMay 15, 2018
Fun experience welcoming the visitors into the museum. Provided visitors with a good starting point in the museum for their tour. I even guided them to the tour guide desk. I also operated an elevator to take customers up to the observation tower and also back down to the museum lobby.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
amazing opportunity
Intern/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2018
I created my own internship here. Lovely people and collaborative team that was communicative and open to suggestions. I extensively learned about the museums exhibits and collection while collaborating with scientists. The workplace culture was very friendly. the hardest part of the job was not being paid for my internship. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn about the specimens and guiding families trhough the museum.
Pros
discounted lunches, special access and tours
The hardest part of my job
Program/Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 26, 2018
I review hundreds upon hundreds of travel card vouchers, travel authorizations and credit card transactions. You have to be tactful when you notify any employee that has used their government travel card in error or reimbursed in error and owe funds to S.I.
Professional and laid back environment
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2018
A typical day was laid back environment. A typical day was researching different exhibits in the United States. Processed purchase orders and purchase requisitions on a daily basis. Management was low key but yet professional environment. I worked at my own pace.
Wonferful Place to learn and develop
Summer Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2018
I loved the Smithsonian the culture, learning. I wish I could have had the opportunity to have a career at the SI.

At the time of my internship the job was not open for a career opportunity. Also, my mom had a management position which would created an issue for me.
Great place overall
Acting Cash Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2018
Smithsonian as a whole is a great place to work with the variety of avenues for an employee to express themselves. With the several museums, arts and science outfits, the ability to harness one's strengths are boundless
As you begin to rise in the ranks though, the positions available become limited because many people tend to work there for a long time
Research agency
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2018
I performed technical services for the Entomology Department, which is a very organized and productive place to work. It has a nice work environment and the necessary resources for scientific productivity.
A productive place to work and gain experience in the security field
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 23, 2018
During my tenured at the Smithsonian I received nothing short of the best experience in the security field that i possible could. Its an excellent job to start off your security career.
Pros
Great co-workwers
Cons
Healthcare options and pay rate could've been better.
Facilities Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2018
it was nice a good place to work the hours are good the work aint hard time off is eared they give you uniform, the people are nice finding parking is hard
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 28, 2018
I was just an intern so I was not familiar with all the ins and outs of being a smithsonian employee, that being said, I really did enjoy my time there and felt that I learned a lot.
Smithsonian
IMAX Theater/Pavilion Host/Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2018
Imax theater host fun and dealing with people from all over the world every gets tiring but is very rewarding. Though you watch the same films everyday its a blast. Butterfly pavilion with live butterflies is a major attraction seeing thousands of people daily.
Pros
Educational Facility, free entry
Cons
short breaks, no job advancement
Overall mixed feelings about experience
Sales Associate, Key Holder, Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2018
Typical day at work was no different than working in any other retail establishment.
It's a little hard to advance, you have to play company politics.
Underplayed for the amount of work any level of management is required to do.
Pros; work culture.
Cons; working on holidays, never having weekends off
Cons
Extremely under payed
Productive and fulfilling experience
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2018
Typically calm workplace with good coworkers, engaging work experience, and answering questions for visitors and the like. No pressure in knowing everything there is about the museum, but requires substantial knowledge concerning museum layout, events and scheduling. The hardest part of the job is dealing with demanding or bossy visitors, but overall, it's nothing different from any other job involving customer service. The most enjoyable aspect is meeting new people from all over the world. Definitely a worth while job.
Different people everyday
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2018
You don't grow an attachment to people cause they move around so much. At the time they were not hiring full time so i had to leave and find my way. I do still stay in contact with people there, employees
Pros
Federal
Cons
Temporary Agency
Smithsonian Natural History Museum - Office of Development Experience
Advancement Specialist - Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2018
The Smithsonian is an organization that lack cultural diversity and inclusion. It can be very difficult to advance in select career without the right management team and support.

For over 2 years, I was discriminated against by my supervisor and senior management. I filed 7 EEOC complaints against these individuals. Now 2 federal lawsuit pending.

This institution is racist an have an issue with Blacks.
Pros
Employees, Benefits, Location, Learning Environment, History
Cons
Poor Advancement, Lack of Diversity and Inclusion, Management
Smithsonian its a likeable but not for want to upgrade
Smithsonian institute (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2018
Would like to join the rap program but was told I was unable to because of being part time, It a chance to learn other skills beside what my jobs is their today
Pros
Cons
happy but not happy
Productive & Friendly
Producer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2018
Contract position on programs for a short term basis.
Learned a great deal about government approval process with organization. Hardest part of the job was the approval process.
Pros
Schedule, Enjoyable environment
Cons
Healthcare, short term status
Interesting place to work
Armed Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2018
Could use improvement ,salary was low and administrative entities could use work.the infrastructure can be built on more as each department is treated differently with major salary differences.
A challenging environment to thrive in
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 11, 2018
The Smithsonian is balkanized into a seemingly endless number of divisions, units, and departments, each competing for resources and relevance. This means there are few permanent positions at the lower levels, little turnover at the higher levels, and hordes of contractors (alongside unpaid volunteers and interns) doing what should really be the work of full-time staff.
Pros
World-class brand, fascinating collections, passionate experts
Cons
Cash-strapped, staff stretched thin, lower than market pay
More traditional IT group
Web Analytics Intern (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 9, 2018
IT organization was definitely more traditional than other places I've worked. The environment was friendly and supportive; however, much of the technology was older.