Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Usually busy, but some poor management
HOSTESS/SERVER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 11, 2018
Typically, work was busy during dinner. Usually had a dinner rush. I did not learn too much that I did not already know. The majority of the managers were nice and were fair toward their employees, but the GM was very rude at times and often times unreasonable toward employees.
Good starter job
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 7, 2018
Learn essentials to bartending, it was a good jump off point but favoritism is a thing for management when it comes to advancement.

Managers were not professional and it showed in their work ethic, making it hard to set a good example for employees.

I very much enjoyed my job there, but it came with a toll of stress and drama and more responsibility than compensation
Pros
Family friendly, great hour availability
Cons
Drama, irresponsible management
Management Sucked
Prep/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJune 5, 2018
The manager turnover rate was insane we always had a new GM and they would switch things around and and confuse the rest of the crew and the hours would constantly get cut meaning employees would either have to find another job or quit.
terrible
Waitress/ Bartender (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAJune 3, 2018
terrible place to work. management is lazy. kitchen is slow. they often run long ticket times. nasty kitchen. employees do what they want. business is super slow, no money to be made there.
Greatest place but management failed
Server/Waiter/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 21, 2018
Most days were smooth rides yes hiccups but everybody loved everybody. I learned you can get laxed early but you will not lose drive. Management was the embodiment of virtue, up until they felt the need to have management from Chilis organizations move in for positions other people have been working for. New management killed it the worst way. Hardest part was trying to move up just to serve. Best part was the servers, we made that place and once we were treated poorly it lost.
Pros
Free food, great friends (2014 era)
Cons
Management tyrants
Time well spent
Server/Customers Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Casselberry, FL 32707May 18, 2018
Everyday at Smokey Bones was a great day. Team work was definitely in full effect. The entire restaurant stayed busy. I learned a lot working at Smokey Bones. This was one of the bigger restaurants I've worked for so there were larger parties and more fast paced. So dealing with multiple personalities all at once was sometimes a challenge, but I always got the job done. I was known to take over the larger group of people because I did such a good job at it. During this time we worked as a team when it was needed. The best part about helping people and customer service is being able to give them the most memorable experience. Always going the extra mile to please the customer.
It was ok
Hostess and Busser (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 11, 2018
Being a hostess was ok I made a good friend out of the experience. I'd recommend being a server instead of a hostess. Servers have it easier than hostess. There's not as much heavy lifting as a server.
productive place to work
MIT (Manager in Training)/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 10, 2018
Smokey bones has a great working atmosphere. The co-workers are nice and helpful. They allow you to work your way up the ladder to becoming a manager.
Pros
food discounts
Cons
short breaks
Decent and Enjoyable place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 2, 2018
A good and easy job for someone who possible works multiple jobs. Management was very good at accommodating any needs I had or any days I needed off, and there were usually people available to cover if need be.
Pros
half off employee meal
Easy work, decent pay, typical chain restaurant
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 1, 2018
I make great money, hours are pretty flexible. Love all my coworkers. We’re kind of a big family. Management is subpar. They aren’t that great at their job, but they’re pretty laid back so that makes up for the lack of competency. We’re typically understaffed, but that’s how I make money. The work isn’t too hard either. Been here for over three years with no intentions of leaving any time soon.
Pros
The money and the friendships I’ve created
Cons
Poor management, typically understaffed
Server
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INApril 30, 2018
It was a nice atmosphere. High turn around. Only because there are so many restaurants. Good food and drinks. management getting better as I left the job. I enjoyed meeting and greeting customers and suggestive and up selling. We would receive different awards for doing so.
Pros
free shift meal
I think the store has potential
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 25, 2018
Smokey bones is a great place to work for if you just got out of school or as a part time job. Your just not going to make the necessary money to sustain life.
Workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Avon, INApril 23, 2018
I would come in and prep for my shift by making sure that all my tables was ready to be sat at. I also helped by stocking all cups, rolling silverware.
I really enjoyed working for Smokey Bones. The management team members were great to work with.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
Smokey Bones was a great restaurant to work for. The management team treated employees great. My co workers cared about guest satisfaction and food quality. We all worked great together. I appreciated the free meals for my dedication. If i could've stayed, wouldve made kitchen manager because the room for advancement.
Pros
The managment showed great appreciation to me. We flowed naturally.
Cons
Not emough hours.
Busser --> Smokey Bones
Server- Sales (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHApril 18, 2018
The best advice is to come in with the ready to work mindset . The harder the busser works leads to more customers being able to come in and out. The tips you earn is based on how much the server makes which is based on the amount of customers they are able to serve.
Competitive, yet supportive atmosphere
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYApril 11, 2018
Professional yet fun family atmosphere
able to work collaboratively in customer service
busy quick pace of workplace keeps you on your toes
great for time management and multitasking
Pros
discounted food
Was a good group
Server (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 10, 2018
I highly enjoyed working for this company! It was fun/laid back. But with technology growing and everyone wanting to use computers and not real people, it started not being as fun or laid back. Your feed back as a server was based off of a computer(Ziosk) that guests would pay on and fill out a short survey. Half the time they let their kids fill it out. This reflected on how many shifts we got per week and our section. It wasn't taken seriously by the guests.
If your a dishwasher don’t do it
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHApril 7, 2018
I was a dishwasher there and I don’t usually do reviews but I had to do it for this job. There’s absolutely no team work and is the nastiest place I have ever seen the employees are all about them selves and all the food is boiled. Not enough racks for as many dishes that come back there , the servers are disgusting they throw food at you and never clean the plates. The managers are disrespectful, rude and unprofessional. Everybody looks at you bussing your butt while your on the phone don’t expect any help and nobody will listen to you good luck !!
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Server
Server (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIApril 3, 2018
Smokey Bones as a company is fantastic! My management staff was beyond friendly and encouraging. The food is also phenomenal! This particular location is no longer in operation.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Some people leave lousy tips
I learned a lot from this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jeffersontown, KYMarch 27, 2018
I was with Smokey Bones for about 10 years. I received a lot of knowledge from the company. Information about how to smoke meats and what you can and cannot do with them. I also learned a lot from the alcohol serving aspect.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight