SMS Assist Employee Reviews

Decent place to work and quick growth opportunities
Contact Center Coach & Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 19, 2019
I've learned through both of my experiences at SMS Assist, that it's not just about what you know but who you know. In both instances, I've been afforded the opportunity to meet a number of great individuals and I am forever grateful for that but if you excel, more work will be given to you. This isn't always a bad thing but the expectations are heightened and you may become overwhelmed
Pros
Perks & benefits, people, culture
Cons
management
DTE Representative
Operation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2019
The work load was ok. The call volume was acceptable, but when it comes to management it’s horrible. Your not able to advance in this company let alone try and stay beyond 90 days. They have a strict attendance policy, and a high turnover rate.
Acceptable
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 9, 2019
Training was excellent. Benefits are excellent. Team Leads are poor. Communication is inconsistent, useful feedback is minimal, attitudes from Team Leads to CSR could be adjusted, Team Lead in charge of other Team Leads need to lead, not let other Team Leads take over. Weekly and daily meetings with management. Lots of info to juggle. Great parking/free parking garage. Hours are either 5 days at 8 hours for queue work or 4 days at 10 hours for dispatch work. One or the other.
Pros
Culture, Ceo, Benefits, Site Manager, Training, Parking
Cons
Set breaks, Management, Miscommunication
Don't waste your time here
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2019
Managers do not promote employees, even if they have all of the experience and knowledge to move upward. There is no separate sick leave or separate vacation leave. They are all lumped together. The culture is very laid back, not too restricted. A lot of young people work here, just to find their way in the industry or to learn new skills and abilities for a different career. I definitely learned a lot here, I must say. The hardest part of working here is that there is no work/life balance. And instead of requesting a day off without pay, they make you make up time, which is hard for some, because they live far away. And it's also just ridiculous since our PTO system favors no one in any way or form.
Pros
The people you meet are great!
Cons
High turnover, low pay, bad PTO system
Run!!! Forget the pay run!!!
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 16, 2019
"training" is 3 weeks of how to speak to people. As if you don't already know, that's why you get hired because of you background. If lucky, maybe a couple hours of system and computer training. Then thrown on phones to figure it out. "supervisors" have been there a few months. Looking to be spoken to with any respect? Don't hold your breath. Very scamy company.
Pros
Seriously wish I could list something
Cons
Worst place to ever work
Customer service representatives (Former Employee) –  Naperville , IllinoisMarch 14, 2019
I worked at Sms for 6 months, it was the worst experience I had , team leads played favoritism , so did supervisors and managers , they mess up your pay but expect you to be OK with it and calm about it , they talk to you any type of way , It’s always a revolving door here they hire people and then they fire people or people does have a enough of their mess and just quit, they write you up without even telling you , They are unprofessional , they are sneaky , they try to act like they’re your friend but they’re really just Trying to find a reason to write you trying to find a reason to write you up , I say keep looking you are so much more than this pathetic job
Pros
1 hour lunch
Fast paces
Mars pet care through smx (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJanuary 26, 2019
It was ok but hard work and. Fast pace in very hot condition and they force people to stay over and you are constantly working with no aprishaion
Pros
30 min lunch
Cons
Contsant stanfing verry hot
Not worth it
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2018
Super stressful,and not enough pay to put up with all that mess,a whole lot of favoritism if ur cool with upper management u might have a chance if they like you simple as that a lot of people that are lazy and cant do there job,stupid managers and if you like to get treated by the customers and clients ,then this is the place for you,oh yes no matter how bad you get cursed at call after call,they want you to constantly apologize to client ,not worth it in any way
Cons
Fast-growing with unstable management structure for new markets
Acting Senior Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2018
It's a call center.

While I learned much about housing market, project management, technical aspects of various residential and commercial systems., the hardest part of the job was coping with the constant turnover and management-by-omission.

The people of Chicago work here. They were the most enjoyable part of the job, everything else is stress.
Pros
People, building amenities
Cons
Hard to accommodate majority of hires from within the last 2 years.
Busy Workplace
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2018
Fast Paced environment. Heavy call volume. High number of HVAC and refrigeration calls. Fun environment with lots of offsite and onsite activities. Opportunities to grow within and time off for charitable activities. Paid vacation time and great health benefits.
Lack of Communication
Operations Specialist - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2018
There is a major lack of professionalism and I learned very quickly it was not the type of work environment to be in when taking into account my long-term career goals.
Pros
Food
Cons
Hours, Co-Workers, Management
Steer clear!
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
So when I first started SMS assist, I thought this was a great inclusive place to work. Fast forward a year and it’s the biggest mistake I made. There is no training for the managers so you end up with under qualified leads who make it very hard for you to do your job. The constant headache of putting up with the “call center” invironment is rediculous, which by the way determines IF you will get a raise. But don’t worry in your interview they will tell you “it’s not a call center”. You get 2 weeks of PTO which is awesome IF you could actually use them the way you want. You accrue pto each paycheck , if you have to take time off you are forced to use your pto. Which basically leaves you with little to nothing by the end of the year. The people high up do not know how to speak to people and will constantly push you to your limits. The bad really out weighs the good at this job, so please steer clear and avoid the headache.
Pros
Cons
Managers, micro managed, pay, pto
Progressive Company, Forward Thinking and Innovative
Operations Specialist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2018
Progressive company that cared about their employees
Very forward thinking and always working to improve our processes to make our jobs easier
Gave clear and concise direction and always had an open door policy when it came to interactions
Pros
Very Upstanding Company overall
Cons
Commute could bother some
Great company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Love it, but I'm moving therefore I had to find closer to home. I wish I didn't 't have to leave as is a growing company full of great, energy people.
Decent managers, fun coworkers, exciting growing company.
SMS Assist Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2018
Managers vary. However, my coworkers were always supportive, good natured, helpful, and encouraged me to act in the same manner towards new hires. There is high turnover in this job, so it's a good temp role but you're better off finding somewhere else to be a permanent employee.
Pros
Free lunches. Seriously.
Na
Operations ManagerOper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2018
Pay is low and below market. Morale is low as well. Growth is high and the quality of employment is less than par. Warm bodies to fill empty seats. Looks better on paper than actually is,
Fast Paced Environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2017
Typical work day consists of getting situated, checking emails and starting your day. Making 150+ phone calls a day reaching out to clients doing a follow-up. I learned how to always remain professional and becoming patient. The hardest part of the job is not letting 150 calls a day drain you by it being so repetitive. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment.
Pros
Company benefits and discounts
Call Center Environment and Bad Management ruined a good place
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
Pushing for call center results, poorly driven tech platform and inexperienced Managers ruined a great place to work. Promotions given to people who are not experienced in managing people. Male driven network and age discrimination kills growth. It was like growth at all costs; too much too soon so owner can take company public. Hired a bunch of former client employees and now the company is sales driven at all costs.
sms assist review
Operations Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
A typical day at work for me at SMS had highs and lows throughout the day. When first arriving at 2pm my day was very busy, slowed back down around 5 and sped back up around 8pm coming off my lunch break.
I learned how to take manager phone calls for myself and fellow colleagues when the manager on the floor was too busy.
The workplace culture was very friendly, very comfy, helpful, like family.
The hardest part of the job was learning new or changed policies literally every week.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed the space to be the manager over your own workload on your own. Get in, handle your workload, help your coworkers with theirs then leave!
Pros
family like work environment
Cons
poor management
Company growing through growing pains
Associate Director-Client Relations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2017
SMS Assist experienced some serious growth within a short period of time and has become numb supporting vendors which is a disservice to their core; Affiliate based service execution. The culture of the organization has been full of insecurity and low morale as groups of people are being laid-off due to continual lost of clients. Not a great record of retaining clients over a year as of my termination.

Operations Management has not been developed instead selected due to their ability to manage large data responsibility rather than management of teams of people. No high remarks on management style. A large number of experienced employees are not advanced or included in redevelopment of services/processes.

Open work environment is sometime challenging from a manager/directors perspective who need to have sensitive and sometime intense conversations with client on phones.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not sure what direction the company is going

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Assist. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at SMS Assist.

Powered by Comparably