SMS Data Products Group, Inc Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
High quality staff, fair
Contract Manager / Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA 22102April 19, 2018
Good work environment.
Most management were great to work with.
Education / Learning options were available.
I would work their again
Teamwork environment
Employee recreation option abound
Cons
Corporate office is in Tyson's Corner. The freeway is the challenge, not the company.
Great Co-workers and company
Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mc Lean, VASeptember 11, 2017
Company is great.
My only issue is that I was hired for a 5 year contract and only made it through 2 years. I now have to look for another job because they have no other work for my team of 6 that I lead.. with 2 weeks notice only to find other work.
Remedy Administrator
Senior Remedy administrator (Current Employee) –  Colorado SpringsAugust 29, 2017
The company recently won the CONES contract, and have attempted to hire level 1 administrators, requiring them to have level III certifications or to acquire them in a short period of time. They have downsized the position requirements to save money. Stressful organizational practices, with poor leadership, and lack of care for workers. Provides less than normal holiday time off for a DoD contract, and allows no provisions to purchased advanced vacation. Benefit package is average at best, with vesting for matching of 401K contributions after 6 months.
Pros
Will provide training, but demands short aqusition period to complete certifications
Cons
Bad situation overall, lack of manpower to complete tasks.
Best company yet
ISSE (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 27, 2017
To date, SMS has been the best company I have ever worked for. In my opinion, the company culture set it apart. I regret that I had to leave but it was only because I provided subcontracted support to a horribly managed prime contractor. I still recommend SMS to others as a place to work.
Pros
Culture, pay, benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
A company like no other I've worked for
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 5, 2017
Companies tell you all the time that they treat their employees like family. More often than not, you can just assume it's all just a line, and hope that at least the pay is good. SMS is a company that delivers competitive pay and a truly refreshing workplace culture. When faced with a personal situation that had me thinking I might have to end up leaving the company to relocate, the managers were incredulous.

"I'm offended you thought we wouldn't try to help you out and find a way to help your situation!"...I swear they said this.

They were true to their word. I am still an SMS employee, even though I did end up having to relocate.

The company does it's best to have regular group gatherings to bring everyone together during the year. It isn't easy, as the company is expanding rather quickly, but they do manage.

They also offer great seats and parking to the Washington Nationals games.

I warn my friends when they want to apply to work here. Be careful. You will get spoiled by the work atmosphere. It might ruin working anywhere else for you.
Pros
Baseball tickets, Work/home-life balance, competitive pay
Cons
Not a lot of advancement opportunities that I've seen
It's a job
LAN SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2017
I worked as a LAN/WAN engineer. It was a productive and busy job that allowed you to gain good knowledge. Management was decent and the workplace culture was good as I had previously worked in that environment in the military.
A company that cares about its people
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 7, 2017
A lot if companies either have a motto about caring or pay some lip service to the effect of caring about their staff but SMS truly lives it everyday. SMS realizes that to succeed they need highly technical staff that are willing to work hard for our customer. They put a lot of emphasis on training to retain skills or to add new ones. I haven't heard of one time where they denied training to an employee. Because of this investment in their staff; they have a phenomenal reputation within the DOD. This is the only company that I have heard of that actually gives a Rolex for ten years of service. They do what is right because its the right thing to do. Management is great to work with across the board. They all have a real open door policy. Great company to work for... I can see myself retiring here if the work is sustainable.
Pros
Great Leadership and Culture. NATS Baseball tickets are a positive.
Cons
More comms on the Vision for the company.
Official response from SMS Data Products Group, Inc
March 13, 2017

Thank you for the great review of SMS. For over 40 years, SMS has continued to grow the company, but maintain that same family culture. As a service focused company, we know that our employees are the lifeline of SMS and should be treated as such. Our hardworking, dedicated, experienced and tenured workforce is one of the most valuable things we have! We're so glad you enjoy working for SMS and we'd love to see you retire here as well.

Great mid-size company who cares about the employees
Director (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 28, 2017
If you work hard, you will be recognized for your hard work and rewarded. The company has been around for over 40 years and has a lot of employees with long tenure with the company. They really seems to care about each of the employees and you are not just a number at SMS. Compensation is good, benefits are good and the people are great.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive compensation, great / smart people
Cons
More company events
Great work/life balance!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 16, 2017
SMS is very flexible and wants to work with you to advance your career as long as you are a hard worker. Management is very helpful and wants you to succeed. Leave is fantastic, they work with you to ensure you have what you need within reason. Very understanding. Overall, a fantastic company to work for.
Pros
Chili Cook-Off, Christmas Party, Leave is good
Cons
More company functions
Official response from SMS Data Products Group, Inc
March 13, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for SMS! We are certainly all about advancing and rewarding hard workers and would love to see you stay at SMS long term! We truly enjoy our company gatherings and are excited to be offering even more in 2017! Thanks for the great review!

Don't waste your time
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJuly 9, 2015
Beware of this company, they will promise you a bright future, but will not deliver it. This contract has no direction, no leadership, and will not deliver any professional growth.
Pros
Good Resume filler
Cons
No training, No leadership, terrible pay
Highly Experienced Technicians with Personable Management
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2014
This company has a very high reputation and it is not an unmerited reputation.
Pros
Very Good Pay
Cons
Reletively None
Great Christmas Parties
Sr. Enterprise Management Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 11, 2012
Small company with a lot of Defense Engineering jobs in the Belt-way -- always looking for cleared Netcool engineers.
Pros
christmas parties; rolex at 10 years of service
Cons
personal days, salary adjustments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Data Products Group, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

SMS Data Products Group, Inc Reviews by Location