SMS Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lying supervisors
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Axis, ALJune 10, 2018
Supervisors lying to employees about things they have said and about bonuses. I was told I would receive a raise after my 90 day mark. And nothing came of it when my time came. I was also told I was going to receive a bonus and they skipped right over me when the checks were passed out. They also withheld my last paycheck because I "owed" the company money from the vacation time I received at the start of the year.
Pros
Benefits were great just very expensive
Cons
Management, drama, and no place that allows advancement.
Fast paced work environment with limited independence
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Oil City, PAMarch 4, 2018
The work itself is not very challenging. No advancement opportunities. Great pay. Vacation time could be more. Management are very cutthroat. They enjoy creating chaos in the hopes that the employees will work harder. They undercut each other to gain favor with the dictator plant manager. No training program at all. They throw you to the wolves so to speak. Machine foreman is a ninth grade drop out and has not kept up with the times. Management does not allow you to work independently. They constantly hover over your shoulder and push you and harass you.

The other employees are nice to work with and get a long with each other for the most part. 30 minute break. Yearly picnic with sporadic free lunches mixed in. Two shifts.
Pros
Great pay. Yearly picnic and free lunches sometimes. Lots of overtime.
Cons
Constantly harassed. No Independence. Out of date supervisors.
Fast-paced but relaxed enviroment
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2018
I really like working for SMS group. The upper management are down to earth people who understand you are a person. I don't have an issue speaking with my manager about my workload, hours, or pay. I think for the most part everyone in the company is friendly and inclusive. I do wish there was more advancement in my career track but I also enjoy taking on new responsibilities that I am new to or have to learn.
Machine/weld shop for mill rolls
Lead Machinist (Current Employee) –  Hogansville, GAJanuary 11, 2018
SMS Technical Services LLC has been a great place for me, they gave me chances and opportunities to advance and challenge my self to grow not only as an employee but as a person as well. Our shop is a load back place with a family like environment.
SMS is a good fair paying job if you want to work If you want to blend in and skate by dont bother to apply it won't work for you .
Electrician/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oil City, PANovember 9, 2017
SMS was probably the favorite place I ever worked in my whole life .I loved the job and the people I worked for and with. Believe it or not .
I would work for them again if they would again require my services I enjoyed the challenges they gave me as well as the mundane tasks I always showed up to work with a good attitude and left the same way. The technical part of the job was always challenging but kept it from being boring and the dirty part of the job let me know that a office job is never for me !
Pros
Company picnics and fun every year
Cons
No cons a fair days pay for a fair days work. I felt I was well componsated >
High paced atmosphere with coworkers as close as family
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARAugust 28, 2017
I love it here, this is what I wake up to do. The team is a brotherhood and management is great. They will help you anyway they can and bend over backwards. It has good pay and benefits. The best company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers, management and benefits
Cons
Long work hours with hard work
Great Place to Work
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 11, 2017
SMS Group is a great place to work with helpful managers and a family centered work philosophy. Managers are helpful and understanding, because they have experienced working in the field. The part I enjoyed most was the travel and the responsibility that they place on you. Managers don't micro manage; they give you free range and allow you to learn from your mistakes as well as support you with your accomplishments.
decent place to work for
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJune 5, 2017
Good place to work for however I was laid off after being hired for a few months because of lack of work. Lots of overtime during shutdowns and long hours. the people there are good people
Pros
good organization
Cons
long hours sometimes
Great Place
Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXMay 17, 2017
The days are rough but after your 9:30 am Break Things pick up Not much of an early bird but still an Awesome Place. Management was young and really develop Leads were actually running everything Our Department manager did know what was going on
Long hours no time off
Millwright (Current Employee) –  East pittMay 12, 2017
Other then the long hours Monday through Friday , being scheduled every Saturday, and the management it's not a terrible place to work. If you enjoy spending time with your family this place isn't for you. If you enjoy working your life away this place is for you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Excessive overtime and management
Good pay and benefits
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARMay 1, 2017
Plenty of overtime. Good pay and benefits. Job security not good. They had a hard time getting peoples hours right for their check. Not very good at keeping you on a regular work schedule.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes. Frequent breaks
Cons
No job security
Excellent Place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARApril 28, 2017
SMS is a great place to work. There are times when we have overtime, but the managers are really cool about it. I never had any problem with any of the bosses and I never saw them treat anyone bad. The person that posted and gave you the bad rating, alls she did was go outside and smoke. She was the only manager that never helped us and didn't even talk to us. I tell everybody to come work here.
Pros
Good bosses
Horrible
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARApril 15, 2017
Poor management and one of the most corrupt plants. Do not disagree, sick, or ask questions. If you area favorite you are ok for the time being. Poor safety
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Township of Cranberry, PAJuly 26, 2016
I have been at SMS Technical Services since the beginning of the year and I thoroughly enjoy working at this company. Everyone from upper management to workers at our workshops are friendly, have great attitudes, and work hard. Its a high-paced work environment but it also creates a teamwork atmosphere.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Very good 'starting' job for me
Sales Engineer - Technical Projects (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Great company, great benefits, and great opportunity to learn about all kinds of equipment. Technical projects group was better than most as we are a German company and had a few German managers who were a little difficult to work with. It was a little less structure and more trial by fire, yet I learned and grew so much from it. Would recommend.
Pros
Benefits, Stability
Cons
Dealing with Germany
Most enjoyable part of the job
Welder Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IANovember 18, 2015
Although the management does not plan everything the greatest I still like that the job is not too repetitive. I work on quite a few projects in between some of the normal jobs.
A challenging job
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MINovember 2, 2015
SMS Technical Services is a challenging place to work. Often the hours are long and days off are few. But there is a wealth of knowledge about the steel industry to learn there if one has the desire to learn.
20+ years with this company... Great people!
IT Manager/ DBA (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 20, 2015
I worked with the SMS group of companies for over 20 years. The culture of the company was the primary reason for staying for that long of a duration. I made many good connections and even friends.

The compensation was always fair. Their expectations were high but this is not a negative, more of a motivator.

Primary job functions were database related, but also included back end systems work, client support, application support, managing other consultants.

Most enjoyable part of the job included solving complex database application/reporting requirements and projects. Solutions to projects and issues were left to my expertise and knowledge. If further education, or certifications were required to accomplish these goals, there was never any hesitation.
Pros
Encouraged expanding knowledge and education.
Cons
Sometimes unrealistic goals.
Project Management Vendor Auditing Process Development and Analysis
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJanuary 15, 2015
I have been involved with many aspects of development of the purchasing department including vendor auditing.
My daily job functions are dynamic from purchasing analysis to project management.
Assisting others in the department is also a key benefit of my position because I am looked to as a team leader and I enjoy working with others.