SMS International Shore Operations Employee Reviews for Pier Agent

okay
Pier Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 16, 2019
• In this job I was responsible to check in guest into their cabin, make sure they have the right documents to travel with the rest of the people in the ship. Also, we work on computers to check in our guests, take pictures of them, and answer any question they have for us about anything on the ship. Handle big amounts of money at a time
Exciting Job
Pier Agent (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 27, 2018
As a pier agent you meet tons of new people every day and have the chance to interact and learn from all of them. Management fosters a great team environment and is open to people's special needs requests. The HR department has an open door policy which is extremely helpful, and the scheduling team always tries to accommodate any special requests you may have.
fast-paced
Pier Agent (Former Employee) –  Port of Miami, FLSeptember 20, 2018
SMS International is very fast-paced job alot of tourist are there you have to be respectful to the elders and have patience. The job is a good job but transportation to get there was difficult and the paying rate was very low due to the hours we were getting especially as minors they paying sucked.
SMS Job Review
Pier Agent (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Great place to work. Very flexible if you are a student. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to meet different people and work as a team.
Pros
Upper management plan employee appreciation parties They are lots of fun and prizes are always given
Cons
No cruising benefits, standing for long periods of time
It's a good job
Pier Agent (Current Employee) –  Port of Miami, FLJuly 14, 2018
It's a good job to start if u in highschool or going to school cause it allows u to balance your life correctly . But the down side is no hours or pay
You have to have a liking for this kind of job
Pier Agent (Current Employee) –  Port Canaveral, FLJune 26, 2018
I also work this same kind of job at another cruise line.You have to like this kind of work and you have to have a knack at getting along with the public. It is a very customer service oriented job. Also you are on your feet your whole shift without many breaks. But if you like getting along with the public it is rewarding.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Ver few breaks depending on position worked
adventurous
Pier Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 24, 2017
working here I came across many different people. people were really friendly. the hardest part of the job is you didn't know what position you were working until you get there. You had to be very flexable at this job.
Would not recommend this company
Pier Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 2, 2017
Work not consistent
Pay is alright
work place is awesome
managers have favoritism and only offer long hours to superior company heads family
lazy
SMS sucks.
Pier Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 25, 2016
Please look somewhere else to work.

You do not get paid enough. The pay sucks.

This job is extremely high-energy and stressful with the positions you are asked to work in. On top of that, you have anywhere from 5 to 10 supervisors and assistant supervisors and leads yelling at you and giving you different directions. They are extremely rude and awful to work with. The management should be changed!!

There is no organization and a lack of communication among the company.

A lot of standing and being out in the sun. Many unnecessary positions where you do nothing all day except stand in the heat. Occasionally denied breaks.
Pros
Cons
Low Salary, Stressful Environment, Disrespectful Management
Terrible!
Pier Agent (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 24, 2016
Trust me when I tell you this is the worst job! You get paid nothing, the porters have a better salary than you do. The pay is so bad that you get dozens of staff calling out from work "sick" every day!
Onto of the TERRIBLE pay, you need to obey orders from the worst group of supervisors and managers I have ever seen in any work environment in my long life!
One day one young lady supervisor at Carnival, yelled at me for following her instructions after her supervisor told her it was wrong. She blamed me for the mistake, when she clearly told me to do it. Even the guest was backing me up. The head supervisor then yells and cusses at me! OH! That's the other part they will yell at you and order you around like a slave in front of guests who just want to get on their cruise ship.
I am sure that these are not the people Carnival, MSC, Disney and Norwegian Cruise Lines want representing their companies in the port of Miami!
It's awful, awful, awful! I wake up and don't want to go to work, and cry every day because of the way I am treated. No one will listen to you because they don't care.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Terrible work environment, rude supervisor, unfriendly management, LOW pay
Whatever You Do, Don't Work Here!
Pier Agent (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 22, 2016
There are some positives to this job, they can be very accommodating to your availability. It is an extremely flexible job for students or for those with other jobs.
You also get to meet guests from all over the world, who can be very nice. This teaches you a great deal of how to communicate with people. Finally, the staff at the office are wonderful (HR, Scheduling), they are extremely friendly and helpful.

Everything else from here goes downhill! To begin with, the pay here at SMS is disgraceful for the amount of the work they expect you to put into your task. The company makes MILLIONS of dollars from the contracts, yet can't even afford a $ 0.50 raise.
Notwithstanding, the supervisors at the terminals, especially those for the Carnival terminals are downright rude, demeaning and ungrateful. They will blame you when something goes wrong although they ordered you to conduct such task. They will also discipline you in front of ALL guests. They are humiliating and downright disrespectful. Of course not all supervisors and leads are like this awful. But most are!
There is a lack of communication between all the operations within SMS, from the headquarters, to the management at the pier. They don't seem to communicate very well with the staff. They live in their own bubbles and care very little for their employees, unless you make a mistake, which they are quick to communicate.
Also, when you sign the contract, you are guaranteed a 15 minute paid break, however some supervisors and leads will refuse to give you a break after standing for over 6 hours since very early in
  more... the morning. They have no consideration for their employees wellbeing and should definitely be investigated for this.
Some employees do nothing at all, sit around or walk around all day avoiding to do any work, but have befriended the management and are able to get away. Hard working agents are left to do double the amount of work to not even receive a "thank you."
They expect you to carry and lift signs and poles that can weigh over twenty pounds, and stand in the sun with your heavy uniform for over six hours, regardless of gender or age.

Suggestions:
SMS needs to reshuffle their management within the terminals, especially in Carnival, and definitely not offer immunity to them when they mess up. Many should be fired!
Offer a better method, other than a shoe box, for suggestions to management and operations.
Lighter uniforms!!!! (Polo Shirts)
A raise to the pier agents (not supervisors) is extremely overdue for all the hard work they do on a daily basis (at least round up to 10, or 11).
Train staff to learn how to handle situations with guests and be able to operate at every single position available. Also, train management on how to properly treat their co-workers.
FIRE any employees who do not do their jobs, regardless of how long they have been working there! Many people who should not be working here are working!
SMS is slacking and Carnival should definitely reconsider their contract with them.
Intercruises is not only beginning to pay better, but treat their employees with dignity and respect.

This is what everyone is thinking but is afraid to say because they know if they say it, they will get fired.
Pros
Flexibility in Hours
Cons
Disrespectful Management, Awful Pay, No Benefits, A LOT of Work
Great experience and flexible scheduling
Pier Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 9, 2016
This Job, although sometimes stressful, was a great experience. I learned how far initiative can take you and how to properly communicate with someone even if i do not understand the language they speak. This job required focus and professionalism to which I feel I accomplished well. The managers were understanding, professional, and did not accept anything less than the best. The hardest part was dealing with clients who did not have any passport or visa information but the most enjoyable part was to work alongside a great team and to see the customers happy to breeze by us straight into the cruise ship. The only reason I left was because the company switched from private to government contract which significantly lowered my salary.