SMUD Employee Reviews

Great workplace, very positive
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 16, 2018
During my time as an Intern at SMUD, it was a great experience. It was very colorful and positive. There wouldn't be a time you would meet someone you didn't know to stop and say hi. Hours are great, the work is great. pay is great as well.
Good place to work, but needs to change.
SAP Security Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 16, 2018
While SMUD provides great benefits, and a competitive salary, I would say that the culture desires a change from the norm of working in a silo to working more collaborative as my team does.
Pros
Salary, benefits, paid time off, training and education
Cons
Teams work in silos and are not transparent; making it difficult to work at times.
student positoin
Enterprise Student Analyst Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 6, 2017
part of a student program with no possibility of a job afterwards. training takes the amount of time that the contract allows you to be there which is pretty unfortunate to have to leave a job where you finally got acclimated.
see below
Transmission Patroler lister, tree crew foreman (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 23, 2017
I served in different rolls at SMUD,and the majority of my time there was as a tree crew foreman. Safety and accountability was always a key goal for me and No personal injury, and No vehicle accidents are my highest priority and my records in these areas were always above standards. I learned very quickly that organization and teamwork with clear concise communication are keys to a successful work day. When other employees and co workers under your charge have a buy in frame of mind in their conduct on the job , They want to do the things required of them in order to accomplish the job at hand safely, efficiently, and professionally. The management was always key to point in personal safety for the employees and the public and spared no expense or effort to do what was needed to get the job done safely. We were all always treated fairly and respectfully. If you did something wrong, you heard about it and you were expected to be there on time and ready to work. Thy did hold us to a high expectation and desired from us safety, quality and professional conduct.
Workplace culture was that most everyone got along real well. Most would pitch in to help at all manners of tasks, but with some employees they needed the extra push to get involved in the team aspect of things. I would say that most to all employees in my group were ready and willing to put in the 110 percent to accomplish what needed to be done. We did have the occasionals that needed the talking (coaching) to get involved, especially when it was a task they did not want to do. Sometimes it lead to other
  more... forms of discipline.
The hardest part of the job was keeping ALL the public happy as it was sometimes trying and difficult. I was very skillful in these negotiations and I could always keep the customer from going to a higher level.
I would say the most enjoyable part of the job was the responsibility of my team members and crew as well as the accomplishment made throughout my career and I miss it terribly.
Pros
Steady job, great benefits, very flexible
Cons
low advancement, poor communication outside of your work area
Employees enjoy working at SMUD. Great retirement benefits for FTE employees. Internal growth opportunties for FTE employees.
Office Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 22, 2017
Diverse culture, SMUD has several community outreach activities. Management listens to their employees and encourages a healthy and productive work environment. The company offers training classes, and employee recognition.
Cons
Most FTE positions require passing a Civil Service exam which is only given once a yr.
Best Company Yet
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 7, 2016
I have worked as a contractor for SMUD. This is the place you want to work in Sacramento. The company really cares about it's employees and offers the best benefits packages available.
The pay makes up for everything else
Admin II (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 26, 2016
When the pay is right you are oblivious to any other workplace issues. It is a great work environment and they do a lot for the community.
Great place to work management needs a little work
Sr. Office Specialist / Accounting Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 20, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my job immediate supervisor and my co workers. Upper management did tend to ignore the issues that needed to be dealt with to make work flow smoothly.
intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 4, 2014
i was a intern at smud i learned all there database and did several different tasks in the human resource building i mainly stayed at my cubical and was interacting with the other interns on there duties that they were doing in there department i set up events, meeting, and schedules and duties for each person had my manager review them then emailed or mailed them out.
Productive and fun place to work, employee engagement through the roof!
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 17, 2014
My day general consisted of me receiving my assignment and then executing it. A number of employee events were held during my tenure as a way employees of all levels to network and mingle.
Smud
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 26, 2012
This is a fantastic company to work for. The only draw back in entering the corp. wellness program is you must wait until a spot opens up. This is a contract position and only allows for a minimal amount of employees.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
size
Great Company to work for
Call Center Representative II (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 7, 2012
SMUD is currently rated one of top places to work according to Computer World Magazine.
Pros
great benefits, work/life balance, retirement
Cons
there isnt too many opportunities for advancement-more lateral movement
ASP.NET, Silverlight and SharePoint Technology Consultant with over 13+ years of professional experience in the initiation, analysis, development and
Senior .NET-SharePoint Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2012
 Responsible for maintenance and full lifecycle development and administration of .NET and SharePoint based collaboration, intranet and internet applications
 Designed a SharePoint custom Web Service using WSS to be invoked through a Workflow in SharePoint designer
 Created and designed a Workflow using SharePoint Designer and custom code using Windows Workflow Foundation .NET 3.5
 Branding web pages involving custom themes and logos using HTML and CSS
 Developed a publishing portal for the department to edit and publish dynamic content like news, events, documents and contacts.
 Extensively used UI best practices and Navigation techniques to make the user experience uniform across hundreds of web pages spanning dozens of internal departments.
 Edit and build custom default master pages to enhance user experience and navigation
 Automate list and document processes with event receivers.
Position was casual.
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 10, 2012
The position was casual so I did not reap all the benefits of a regular position. However, the engineers and other staff I worked with were great. Very happy and helping. I felt like I had been there for years yet only had a short term position. I provided excellent work and even have a letter of recommendation fter a few months with this company.
Pros
great hours, employees, great pay
Cons
budget not allowing the help needed the ability to stay.