Sno-Isle Libraries Employee Reviews

Brier library- Poor Management...
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brier, WANovember 21, 2018
I tried to do volunteer over here. They even don’t like to talk. Brier library new staff unfortunately, do not represent all communities. Management need to think wide.
productive fun place to work with books
Teen Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAJune 6, 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job as talking with others about the books they have read. I was a volunteer so I don't know what an average day to day was like but from what I witnessed it is a good place to work with benefits.
Unsupportive Management,
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 29, 2016
When I was hired they made a point of expressing how much they want everyone to succeed and that they were adamant and dedicated to helping you do just that. Right up until you encounter difficulty. Advice was vague, help was non-existent and the interaction with management at that time became very chilly.

They also appeared to have far more concern for the numbers, results that could be tallied by arithmetic. When asked to discuss program results, the number of attendees was always paramount. There was very little consideration for the value of the experiences that the patrons had.

It's also fairly telling that the turnover rate for the system is oddly high.

Libraries exist to serve the people of a community, not to serve their own interests by confusing attendance with quality.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Focus on Quantity over Quality, Very little support from management
Great place to work at , great people to work with!
Page (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WAMay 4, 2012
A typical day involves fine sorting, and shelving library materials, assisting patrons ( providing information on library services mostly) and some minor clerical work.

Management is incredible, mature and friendly people and the same goes for co-workers.
Pros
flexible hours, great atmosphere and advancement opportunities.
Cons
not enough hours for page position.
Ok, not great
Web Developer I (Former Employee) –  Tulalip, WAOctober 13, 2015
I worked in many positions for this company over many years.

Work/life balance could have been better. There is a strong importance on going above and beyond, without adequate time to do that without eating into your personal life. The higher up your position the more this becomes an issue.

Compensation was low in hindsight. You don't get paid very well compared to other workplaces in the area, but the other benefits are outstanding. Vacation days, medical, retirement, etc are all top notch.

Job security is great. This makes it not a worry that you'll be terminated for no reason, but also brings some lazy workers to the table. Some people did the bare minimum at all times here. Some people worked hard. It was a large spectrum. Advancement opportunities are varied. People tend to stay in positions long term because of this. To advance a new position needs to be created (rare) or someone needs to leave. Current employees are given heavy priority to fill open positions.

Management was poor in my experience. There are many people in higher up positions that do not posses adequate skills to effectively manage the workload beneath them. I imagine this is because there is a lot of value placed on people that have been there a long time versus skills possessed.

Culture is good and bad. There is a lot of "learning" happening here, which is great I think. There is also a lot of political BS happening here, especially behind the scenes when looking at job placement, opportunities, and pay. The HR department is run terribly and will go out of their way life given the chance.
  more... Scare tactics are a pretty big part of the "don't rock the boat" mentality here.

I would recommend this workplace if the job was right and advancement was not as important. Do your pay negotiation at the beginning because a raise outside of the normal cost of living stuff will never happen ever.
Great customer-centered library system.
Public Service Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAMarch 14, 2017
The management at Sno-Isle is awesome. The workplace is welcoming and supportive. I would have loved to continue my employment with this company, but circumstances necessitated a move back to the east coast.
Public Service Assistant I Sub (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAOctober 26, 2015
Wonderful place to work. Knowledgeable and helpful staff. Supervisors very approachable. Job tasks were well organized and easy to follow and complete. Beautiful library in gorgeous surroundings.
Pros
Supervisors encouraged advancement and tried to help one suceed.
Cons
Only part time.