Snyder's-Lance, Inc. Employee Reviews

You don't have a life
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 17, 2018
As a 2017 former Quality Assurance Technician I would not recommend this job to anyone who loves having weekends/holidays off. In my 9 months there they have mandatory overtime scheduled in advance and last minute (the day of) which made things unorganized.They also had the schedule so bad that we would typically work about 18-20 days in a ROW per month. Of course having overtime is nice but what is the use when working takes over your whole life?
Pros
Benefits, relaxed job, pay
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Misguided and ever-changing
PROCESS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2018
My experience has not been great. Upper management has seen about three overhauls since I've been here (5 managers in 3.5 years). Can't seem to keep good employees. Advancement solely on "cliques". HR department seems to make rules as they go and even loosely follows them. Compensation under market value. Underpaid hourly workers. Micromanagement vs. autonomy leads to lack of care and drive for middle managers.
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
Lack of communication and autonomy, lack of scheduling, lack of tools to complete job, Loose HR department
Great coworkers
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 9, 2019
Upon arrival there are daily start up meetings. After the meeting I inspect my fork lift and start my shift. I learned to accomplish the daily goal as a team. The highlight of the day would be completing the task at hand. At times supervisors would should favoritism, but on the brighter side most employee were set on the same goal, which was building the company. I took pride in safety and helping others learn.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Great Place to work
SharePoint Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 7, 2018
Had this company not been bought by another I would not have left. There were some rocky times near the end, but overall I was more than happy to go in to work daily. My supervisors were great allowed me to make key decisions on the SharePoint environment.
Pros
Benefits, culture, workload, managers
Cons
Being bought by another company
I managed over 100 employees ,supervisors,and managers on a daily basis
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 28, 2018
I had a long good courier at Snyder's Lance. My job required a lot of patience and hard work .I really enjoyed the fact that each day had a new set of surprises, that I had to manage my way through.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Sometimes required alot of hours and stamina.
packer (Current Employee) –  AnywhereSeptember 23, 2018
Over all its a good place to work. Friendly dedicated employees. Good benefits. Could do better on the pay. keeps you busy and moving. Advancement opportunities.
Everything was great until they sold the company
Independent contractor (Current Employee) –  Kernersville, NCAugust 1, 2018
No benefits, no 401k, terrible
Managed skills and they sell you a dream, every since Campbell soup bought out our company we are not making enough money to survive and it already bad enough we don’t have benefits or 401k
Pros
Own hour, work at your phase
Cons
Not enough money, people talk to you any kind of way, and they don’t respect you
Great pay
Sanitation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OHAugust 16, 2018
I have been here for several years now. Pay is good as well as benefits. Sometimes the work home balance isn't enough. During busy times you are required to work many hours.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work life balance
Not for me
Packer (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INNovember 25, 2018
Was hired in for a Packer position, and the training (if you call it that) was awful. I dont think anyone knew what they was doing and that includes my superiors. So I had to learn through mistakes on my own.The crew I worked around were rude, argumentative and treated every day like a party. It also seemed as if the less you did there, the more it helped you in advancement. The quality was very poor in my opinion. Some of the senior employees had been quitting and going elsewhere which was a red flag to me. They let go a good supervisor and that shift has since become worse, which caused me to stop signing up for OT which I really needed financially for my family. The facility is also very dirty for a food company in my opinion. I had been with the company for a short period, but seen a lot of (What Not To Do) situations while I was there. Just happy I made the decision to go elsewhere.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Employees, Management and dirty
Good place to work for also save money
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 14, 2018
Synder Lance was the best job that I have ever work for the work is not that stressful you stand aloneperiods of time. So time they also give you good benefits the money is good per hour and just long as you do what you supposed to do and be on time you should be okay
Fun, Exciting, with a lot of Growth Potential early on.
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 16, 2019
A typical work day included conference calls, customer calls, market visits, planning, and correspondence internally and externally. I learned about the snack business and the ever changing trends in this category. The management and culture were great in the beginning. We had a pretty tight knit group, but that changed later on with several reorganizations of the company. The hardest part of the job was dealing with constant changes to strategies and team alignment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the growth potential of the brands, building the business, and watching it grow.
Pros
Growth pontential
Cons
Reorganizations and strategy changes
Co-Workers are great but the place is ran equivalent to a plantation.
Production (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 21, 2018
Upper management could care less about you while they spend their weekends golfing & fishing your working slaving to keep customer commitment AT ALL COST blood sweat and tears are our main ingredients. For some odd reason they seem to think FDA & OSHA regulations does not apply to them. Machines and promises are broken daily.
Pros
Job security, weekly Pay with 40+ hrs, great benefits.
Cons
You are NOTHING but a peasant as far as management is concerned.
Its a job. Free potato chips. More than you want.
QUALITY ASSURANCE PROCESS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Cape Cod Potato ChipsJune 7, 2018
If they could keep the staff full on 3rd shift (and 2nd), there would be far fewer problems. The mandatory overtime is what kills it. If it were 40 - 48 hours per week, it would be ok. But for all the talk about wanting employees to have a work/life balance, they don't do enough to allow it. You can be mandated for 3 overtimes per week and the only way out of it is to use flex-time (their answer to sick time) or take 1/2 an attendance point. You are fired when you reach 8 attendance points and they stay on your record for a full year from the date you accrue them.

They do offer fairly good wages, but there is some disparity between certain positions that should be making more than they do, such as maintenance, QC and group leaders.

Once you have been here 90 days, you are eligible for benefits. You also start with 80 hours paid time off. This is split into 40 hours vacation, that require pre-approval and flex-time, that you can use without prior approval (aka. sick time, but also useful for last minute appointments, etc). It can be used in 1 hour increments, too, so if you need to be an hour late, you call and use an hour flex.

The first increase in time off is at the 5 year mark, then you get an additional 40 hours paid time off.

Overall, I would recommend it because once they are back to full-staff, the overtime situation will ease up except when someone is on vacation.
Pros
Free potato chips, decent benefits, paid time
Cons
Mandatory overtime, under-staffing
Great products with solid pay and benefits
Zone Sales Manager - Midwest / Kansas City Zone (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 12, 2018
Good place to work, as you usually make your own schedule. However, must make your sales numbers and must rely on independent operators that do not have to make any particular sales number. Independent operators work on a margin and can make from $30,000 to $80,000 annually. However, many independent operators are not necessarily motivated by earnings and do not want to put the hours in to do so. Snyder's-Lance has no way to control this, as independent operators own the route. Also, Snyder's-Lance does not do a good enough job to support the independent operators with better promotions and Ads.
Pros
Great products with solid pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of company direction and top leadership
Organized, Reliable company
Trade and Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMay 16, 2018
This company was well organized and had great clerical positions. Great variety of jobs for many and the salary for clerical is properly compensated. I never had any issues with this company, they were more than helpful and provided any services needed quickly.
Productive, team oriented workplace
AR Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PAFebruary 24, 2018
During my time at Snyder's-Lance I have had the opportunity to work for one of the finest managers of my career. My manager always takes the time to answer questions, advise and assist, and to encourage open lines of communication. The team of people I work with are always willing to help out and collaborate. The culture is mostly positive.
Pros
Flex time, casual dress
Cons
Rising cost of benefits
Terrible
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Columbus GaMarch 4, 2018
The management doesn't care about the rank and file. Your co-workers talk about each other constantly and tattle on each other. They work you to death all spring and summer and you can't get any hours in winter and fall. The breaks are way to short,and you have beg for your vacation time.if you decide to work there you will be miserable
Pros
The benefits are good but expensive
Cons
Your hours are not consistent
Good company to buy into.
Snyder lance vendor (Former Employee) –  HoustonMay 11, 2018
A good company to work for and buy into. Pros is that you’re your on boss and make own schedule. The only thing I could say I did not like is no health care nor benefits.
Pros
Make your schedule.
Cons
No health care nor benefits
Productive everyday
Export Coordinator, Campbell's Snacks (Current Employee) –  Kendall, FLSeptember 12, 2018
My typical day at work consists of reading and answering every email from customers or from our co-workers and help solve daily problems. I have learned that I am capable of handling things on my own as well as believing in myself. I have a great boss who has held my hand the entire way, anytime I have questions or doubts she is always there to help and guide me. The workplace culture is great as we all have the same beliefs and values and we always try to work together as a team to reach the same goal. The hardest part of the job is paying attention to the most minimal detail because that can be a problem in Export for customs. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the customers are satisfied with the overall outcome of their orders.
Don’t do it!
Consumer Affairs Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 9, 2019
This place is awful! The management is terrible, inexperienced, two faced, lazy, does not communicate etc... My specific manager didn’t know how to manage. She talked about us to our peers, would come in and sit on Facestime and personal calls with her family for a good portion of the day. That’s when she could be bothered to show up in the office. She was big into gossip, and would spread rumors about employees. When addressed with upper management nothing was ever done.
Cons
All of it!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Snyder's-Lance, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight