Soaring Eagle Academy Employee Reviews

Understaffed and over worked
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 18, 2019
This place is wild. We are all exhausted. We are all unhappy. The founders care more about their pay checks than they do these kids or staff.

I heard things use to be a lot better here. It was fun and the kids did well and real changes were being made. The founders got along with people and were invested in helping these kids. I feel like now the school will do anything to keep these kids here. Even if they’re ready to move on, the school comes up with some excuse to keep them here for the paycheck Tuition is EXPENSIVE, considering the aids don’t make the best money for the amount of work we have to do. We Are paraprofessionals, babysitters, parents, potty trainers/diaper changers, janitors, and lunch room monitors all in one. We aren’t really suppose to be transparent with parents and how their kid is ACTUALLY doing, which makes this job so difficult. I want to 100% tell these parents what is actually going on with their kids but I cant. It’s a lot to have on your shoulders.

There are blurry lines all over as far as who is in charge and who you listen to. If the staff have a good idea on how to handle a recurring situation with a student it’s impossible without approval from the two woman who “run the program”. They don’t really spend time with ANY of these kids on a regular enough basis to be able to treat them so I’m not really sure what their purpose is. They don’t treat everyone equal and everyone knows who the favorites are. It’s really bad for moral.

Don’t come in thinking that if you’re on time everyday and do good work that you will advance as an employee
  more... because you most likely won’t. You will be in the same pool as the ones that call in a lot or are late everyday. You won’t be recognized for good work and being a good employee but also won’t be held accountable or reprimanded if you’re not doing good work or being a good employees.

Parking is horrible and there are only two individual bathroom stalls for the ENTIRE STAFF. There are multiple stalls in the kids bathrooms but they’re so gross. One bathroom even had mold in it (not sure if it’s still there since no one was made aware of the mold in the first place) I wish they would invest in a professional cleaning company instead of relying on the staff to do it in house. We need an honest good deep cleaning and then professional services to maintain it.

We also should invest in a real Human Resource manager. One of the founders also acts as the HR and it is horrendous. The Application process is terrible, job explanation is terrible, they definitely talk up the program and make it sound life changing.

All in all, would not recommend families to send their kids here and would not recommend applying.
Pros
The kids, most of the employees
Cons
Not being able to be honest with families, pay, dirty surroundings, unfair job advancement, poor management, poor HR
If I could give zero stars I would
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 17, 2019
I'm finally leaving SEA this week. I'm so happy I will no longer be stressed and worried about my job. You never know when an EC or the ED will turn on you, it could be any day and just come from no where. Now, I no longer have to worry about this.

People are constantly quitting and there is ALWAYS a posting on Indeed for a TA. That is because they are treated poorly and not as part of the team. They are forced to do processing, and if you do actually talk about something that is bothering you, it is later held against you. Now we have these ridiculous "Eagle Talks", and again, they are fake and meaningless. Administration cannot be trusted as they always lie and don't know how to run anything, especially a school. They need to go back to their clinics and leave the school to people who actually know something about mangaging. At this point, it's only a matter of time before the school closes. Parents are pulling their kids out left and right and soon the districts will start to understand how awful it is.

I'm looking forward to working for a school that actually listens to their staff, makes changes, and adapts to what each kid needs. I'm looking forward to having structure for my student and discipline, and for the therapists and people in charge to actually give the student credit for what they know and treat them like a human being. Most of the students at SEA just run the halls, hurt others, and do nothing most of the day. It's really sad what this school has become. Please, don't work here. You will regret it.
I love this job
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 6, 2019
I can honestly wake up in the morning and say I enjoy my job. I have made friends at SEA that I want to keep for a lifetime. I help children achieve their goals in learning and growing and it feels amazing. Working here is quick paced, keeps me on my toes, and is very rewarding. The expert clinicians are extraordinary people who I learn from every day. I have learned things from them that I will hold with me for the rest of my life. It goes without saying that our students are some of the best kids around.
It seems to me that the people who have chosen to write negative reviews about SEA are young, immature, inexperienced, and haven’t learned how to be professional in a work environment and are upset about the consequences that come with acting disrespectful to your coworkers and higher ups. I feel I am treated very fairly here.
Fulfilling work, devoted colleagues, incredible students
TA (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 21, 2019
First, the work at Soaring Eagle is not for everyone because the model is dynamic and unique. The students have varied levels of needs and many require constant care and attention. the supervisors support us as teaching assistants to offer meaningful activities throughout the day for academics, functional tasks, and even to help our students make friends with their peers. There is almost double the staff to students, so the amount of time spent making every activity well suited for the students is something I had never seen before in other schools.

This is not the place to work if you are just looking to clock in at 8:30 and clock out at 3. But if you’re looking to build relationships with the student you get paired with and the TAs in your class, while also learning a lot about students with autism or other special needs, this is definitely a great work environment. Because of the training I’ve gotten on the floor, I have learned to really love this population and consider going back to school to become a professional in the field.

I said earlier it’s not for everyone, but those that stay and accept the help and training offered by the school seem to be really happy most of the time, especially when they are with their students!
Pros
Great kids, fun co workers, onsite training and coaching
Cons
Students have a lot of needs, have to be “on” a lot of the day
A Complete Disservice
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 17, 2019
I wish someone could investigate, and see for themselves whatever this place is trying to do with the students they have—still trying to figure that out myself...

“Where to begin? “The “Expert Clinicians” aka the women who run the show, and manipulate parents, prospective employees, anyone willing to donate, etc. into thinking this school is amazing. Just look at the website. It sounds so inspiring and unique. However, once you work there and see what goes on behind the scenes, you quickly learn the truth.’’ This quote is completely true, and couldn’t be expressed any better. There needs to be something done to help this place, because these students are suffering, while the arrogance grows stronger.

Seriously, it’s sad! Watching staff treat adult students like babies, using baby voices—instead of treating them like an actual person is a big disappointment. It’s understandable for the younger kids that go there ( maybe, idk? 🥴), but for a transition program—what a disservice as well as a disgrace! They don’t even have a teacher as of right now, the students are all missing out on their true potential with people who think they know it all. This school is not getting the best resources, and is truly doing nothing for these students in the long run—think about their future, and not about yours. I mean, there’s a wonderful student in the transition program that shouldn’t even be at this school—he needs a school that actually has a Speech Therapist and OT staff that actually does their job other than dictate what they think a TA is doing wrong all day long—and then
  more... show up whenever codes are called thinking they’re miracle workers or something. I think someone’s mentioned it before—“it’s a great idea for special education school” but they’re missing the big picture! Especially in transition—where they eventually will be in the real world. All these students are seen as dollar signs to this place, it’s a real shame. I absolutely love going to work everyday being undermined and belittled, yah hoo! Just the arrogance and condescending support staff that will not let you build a Relationship with a student should be enough to tell an individual to question themselves “is this really what I want to do with my time?” Think about it..  less
Do not work here - do not send your kids here.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 4, 2019
What happens when a bunch of individuals who don’t even get along want to make some good money?? They open. Program for kids with autism and call it a school! (Said individuals have zero experience in education)

It’s a good idea in theory, child is struggling in a regular public school setting. Let’s bring them in, help them get their little bodies in check with good coping mechanisms and good self regulating skills and then send them back to public school when they have learned to be successful in that setting.

What actually happening: the school is making 85k per student to come to this program, where they are not actually being prepared to transition back to their regular school. The only time they leave is when their parents finally figure out its a game and they pull the kid.

You can’t tell your student no if they’re beating the daylights out of you. You can’t tell your student no when they are running amuck eating food off everyone else’s plate at lunch. And you definitely can’t tell your student no if they’re destroying someone else’s belongings or hurting another student. The word “no” doesn’t exist in those 4 (very filthy and unsanitary) walls. Literally it has been said by the leadership team that “these kids don’t understand the word no” ignorant.

Sure there are some good kids and some great staff but they make up for the manipulation you undergo from the ”leadership” team with the “expert clinicians”. (A quick way to be a favorite is to have a baby from another staff who the founders love) if you dare think about using your brain and being logical
  more... in trying to help these kids you will be exiled and made to hate your job so much you quit.

Being on time and ready to work means nothing. You will be treated the exact same as those that are late EVERYDAY. There is no appreciation outside of teacher appreciation week which is coordinated by the admins, not even the founders.
Pros
Some nice staff, most of the kids
Cons
Management, cleanliness of building, favoritism
Things need to improve
Teacher's Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJune 1, 2019
SEA has the potential to do greatness. From stories I’ve heard from the early days it was just that. The biggest complaint with TA’s is communication or lack of. The “EC” or expert clinicians will have meetings for the school and not include TA’s. It’s all a secret to them. The line of disrespect is huge. They will in turn tell those same TA’s how they know the students most (because they are literally with them all 6 hours) but will not share any information with them.

The “EC’s are in meetings all day and unless they get called to your student you might never interact with them. Some can talk very disrespectful to TA’s as though they are so much more educated while in fact they’re not.

Training consists of watching hours and hours of past lectures. I, personally didn’t even get that until I was employed there for 3 months. I was just placed with a student not knowing what I was doing. The other TA’s were the ones that helped me along and trained me.

Whether you are a great TA and work hard or you call in once a week every staff member gets 3% yearly raise. There is no incentive to work harder. They don’t even care.

They do this “processing” weekly with your classroom. It is led by your teams social worker and DIR therapist. A lot of the time you will talk about nothing or all just stare at each other feeling uncomfortable. The real processing is at the end of each day when it’s just the TA’s in the classroom and you can openly talk about your frustrations without the fear of getting in trouble or worse yet fired for what you said.

more...
Since I have worked there parking is a joke. There isn’t enough spots so you are asked to park down the block at neighboring companies. It’s gotten so bad that those companies are now mad at us so they yell at you if they see you park. Not a great way to start a hard workday. If you are employee of the week you get your very own parking spot though. Hmmm shouldn’t I have that already? Also, TA’s need to sign in via an app so even though you are searching for parking and walking to SEA from another location they don’t want you signing in and paying you until you’re in the building. Ridiculous! Then they should provide adequate parking.

The people that work there are family. Everyone makes great friendships that last both in and out of the SEA. The kids are AMAZING. I have learned so much from them. I have seen many of the students grow but others not at all. Some of the students there just are not placed right and no one knows what to do.
Pros
Friendships, pay is good
Cons
Management, huge turn over, communication, lies, parking
June 2, 2019

Soaring Eagle Academy understands that working with our complex special needs student population can be demanding and may not be the right environment for everyone. Rather than respond in detail, we respectfully disagree with these claims. We reaffirm our commitment to the students, families and school districts we serve, offering full transparency always. We highly value and respect our founders and trained, dedicated and talented staff, founders and staff that are appropriately licensed/certified in accordance with Illinois State Board of Education guidelines and listed as such on all ISBE approved applications, and closely monitored by ISBE, to provide a non-public therapeutic day school, to our students utilizing evidence-based teaching methodologies and curriculum aligned with IL Learning Standards according to non-public therapeutic day school regulations. SEA is actively working with management to remediate the parking challenges that were a result of growth. Solutions are forthcoming.

Great people helping some amazing kids.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 31, 2019
I worked at SEA for almost 6 years and really enjoyed my experience. It can be a stressful work environment but staff does a great job giving support as needed. Weekly training and working with a range of kids really gave me confidence that I could support any child. It is a work environment where you have to be coachable if you want to succeed and some people had a problem with receiving feedback, but they always coached in a very respectful and polite manner. I met some of my great friends at SEA and have seen so many kids improve in so many different areas.
Pros
Training opportunities. Built great relationships with people.
Cons
Tiring days.
Good idea, bad planning
TA (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 30, 2019
So the thing about Soaring Eagles is that it really could be a good place and I've heard that it was when it started. But I really think it's gotten too big, too fast. I think the founders have lost their vision and can't go back. Two of them seem just really unhappy most of the time, which is sad.

The kids are AMAZING, but some don't belong and the founders never see a reason that kids should leave. They want them forever, unless they don't know what to do with them. Then they ask parents to put them on medication and if they don't, they ask them to leave. They don't realize that kids will live in the real world, not the SEA world. So much is focused on the little kids, and the Transition program is just a plain joke. They have a licensed teacher who sits in on High School IEPs but yet is in the Primary art room all day. I don't think that's even legal.

The founders have no management or education experience which is obvious. They have had 5 principals since they opened just 8 years ago because no one can deal with them. And they are once again looking for another one cause the last one only lasted a few months. They need to let the principles do their job and they should be speech therapists. And really, let's be honest, stop calling yourself the founders anyway. Just do your job and be a team player. They play favorites and hire family and friends, especially if you live in Riverside.

The founders are really good with kids from what I've seen, but they are hardly with us and the kids as they are in meetings most of the day. They hold their meetings during school,
  more... instead of before and after, which makes no sense. It's too bad they don't spend more time training their employees and playing with their students.

The teachers and therapists are coddled while the TAs are forgotten. People take whatever days off they want, even if it's been rejected and no one is on time for anything, especially the work day. Some teachers don't even give lesson plans every week. They just change the date on the ones they have. But when a founder is in their room, they shine like a bright star.

I will have to move on too just like everyone else soon. It's really too bad, because the philosophy is well thought out. So, I wouldn't recommend anyone work here even though helping the kids is great. It's just too toxic and unkind.
Pros
Pay is good - students are awesome and the TAs work hard
Cons
Management is awful - no recognition except for Teacher Appreciation Week
May 31, 2019

The Best Years
TA (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 28, 2019
Soaring Eagle as a whole changed my life! The staff and kiddos will always hold a special place in my heart. Watching these incredible kiddos grow were some of the best parts of my professional career! A handful of things quickly come to mind when I think about my wonderful time at SEA; training, processing, and curriculum.

When I was hired at Soaring Eagle I felt so much comfort from the incredible training I received. To learn directly from expert clinicians was a remarkable experience!
The support from staff was truly amazing. Processing each week with my classroom is something I wish my current employer would implement. Processing allowed us as 1:1 support to learn from others as well be supported in the tough moments.
The curriculum at Soaring Eagle is one of a kind, allowing all kiddos to work at their own pace through individual plans as well as small group work.

If the opportunity in life ever presented itself I would instantly go back to Soaring Eagle.
Shady, unprofessional, biased management and founders
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 26, 2019
The "school" is ran by people who have zero education experience. The higher ups have private clinic practices, yet they call Soaring Eagle a "school"...its more of a day care considering they hire pretty much anyone with zero experience since they are always hurting for people. The higher ups treat their employees like they are expendable. The higher ups bully employees into doing things that ar immoral. Things like lying to parents and lying to to other employees. I know for a FACT that the higher ups falsify documents. For example they listed a Teaching assistant who had their teaching certs as a lead classroom teacher without his knowledge and payed him TA wage, while having someone unlicensed actually teaching the class recieving tescher salary. This has happened on more than one occasion. The founders of the school have become power and money hungry. The higher ups gave themselves the title of "Expert Clinicians"...but then the Illinois State Board of Education recently told them they cannot call themselves that and they need to be called the "Professional Development Team". But of course they still refer to themselves as "Expert
Clinicians" They have purposely switched students to a different TA who has never worked with the student for a learning block that was supervised by the state and school district of the child in an effort to keep the child in the school so they can keep getting the tuition. It's sad to see a place that was once so amazing go completely down the drain
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Terrible management, bad pay, no advancement opportunity.
May 27, 2019

Soaring Eagle Academy understands that working with our complex special needs student population can be demanding and may not be the right environment for everyone. Rather than respond in detail to this former employee, we respectfully disagree with these claims. We reaffirm our commitment to the students, families and school districts we serve, offering full transparency always. We highly value and respect our founders and trained, dedicated and talented staff, founders and staff that are appropriately licensed/certified in accordance with Illinois State Board of Education guidelines and listed as such on all ISBE approved applications, and closely monitored by ISBE, to provide a non-public therapeutic day school, to our students utilizing evidence-based teaching methodologies and curriculum aligned with IL Learning Standards according to non-public therapeutic day school regulations.

Unprofessional staff, not paid enough.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 24, 2019
The students melted my heart at SEA. But the staff and administration disappointed me. When hired I was given outdated paperwork in my “new employee folder and not a single staff followed any of those expectations. Staff were allowed to carry their cell phones around and many times were found texting during learning time with their students. Administration walk around the hallways with their cell phone in their faces texting or sending emails...professionally that can be done in your office. Our students need our undivided attention. TAs did more of the teaching than the teachers because the teachers were always in their offices doing paperwork or lesson planning, yet the TAs got paid less than half of what the teachers got. We were told that we could always come to higher up staff (teachers, therapists, or admin) for concerns and feel safe doing it. Yet when those concerns were addressed, we were either scolded like a child, or our concerns were never acknowledged. Most companies hire outside cleaning crews, yet instead the cleaning crew is made up of the Teacher Assistants in the school who stay after on school days to clean and sanitize the entire school. Im hoping that change can happen in the future for the sake of the students.
Cons
Short breaks, unprofessional staff, not enough pay
May 26, 2019

Soaring Eagle Academy understands that working with our complex special needs student poplulation can be demanding and may not be the right environment for everyone. Rather than respond in detail, we respectfully disagree with these claims. We reaffirm our commitment to the students, families and school districts we serve, offering full transparency always. We highly value and respect our founders and trained, dedicated and talented staff, founders and staff that are appropriately licensed/certified in accordance with Illinois State Board of Education guidelines and listed as such on all ISBE approved applications, and closely monitored by ISBE, to provide a non-public therapeutic day school, to our students utilizing evidence-based teaching methodologies and curriculum aligned with IL Learning Standards according to non-public therapeutic day school regulations.

Do not let them fool you
Support Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 24, 2019
Where to begin? The “Expert Clinicians” aka the women who run the show there (with no actual experience managing a school) manipulate parents, prospective employees, anyone willing to donate, etc. into thinking this school is amazing. Just look at the website. It sounds so inspiring and unique. However, once you work there and see what goes on behind the scenes, you quickly learn the truth.

This school is completely disorganized and chaotic. The teaching assistants are the ones with the students all day as the support staff and teachers are flooded with work and cannot possibly see each student as much as they are forced to say they do. You are also forced to "process" as a staff member there which is where they tell you how you feel and why. Makes total sense right?

Decisions are not made in a collaborative way whatsoever. The "leadership" team (who spend little to no time with the students) decide everything. If you dare use your clinical judgment and disagree with one of them, you are punished in the form of bullying in the work place. You basically will be fired (happens all the time there) or they will make your work life so miserable that you will quit. The turnover rate is really high.

There is no training for new staff. As long as you look and sound the part, they don’t care what you actually do. You can't make any decisions on your own without the higher ups approval but you also do not get any support from the higher ups.

Dishonesty, manipulation, ego, bullying, job insecurity....these all come to mind right away when thinking of this work place environment.
  more... Save yourself the stress and work elsewhere. If you have morals and values this work place is a recipe for burn out. I hope the truth comes out some day.  less
Pros
Flexible with days off
Cons
Toxic work environment, no parking

Students Are Great, Management Is Not
Ta and support staff (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 24, 2019
I worked here for a long time. The staff creates a community which is such a saving grace because without it, if you're alone, this work is very hard and probably impossible. You get hurt. You get bullied. You get made to feel like you are crazy.

There is very little training. Some outdated videos to watch of past lectures. Then you are thrown on the floor to work with these children you know nothing about while the "expert clinicians" watch you and write down notes about what you are doing. Then, they will tell you what the child is feeling and what you are feeling. I have witnesses many occasions of this being inaccurate.

They do not appreciate their staff. I worked tirelessly for these students and never once got a "good job".

Sometimes they do performance reviews but everyone always gets a 3% raise whether you work hard and are skilled or you slack off and call off regularly. That part is a joke.

They do not allow TAs to speak directly with parents. They do not want staff taking to families or even families speaking with other families. They like to control all communication. They do not like staff talking to other staff, either. They always encouraged support staff to tell management what TAs were saying and doing, as well. They need to know everything that is going on all the time and they would use that info against you even if it was inaccurate.

I have seen numerous occasions of the founders acting very disrespectfully towards employees who were in the process or leaving or who have left.

Promotions are very hard to come by and there really
  more... is no advancement opportunities. Promotions are very competitive as most employees have degrees and only a few salaried positions open up each year.

Every teacher who has come from an outside school has been fired or quit within a year. The only ones who stay are former TAs who are working towards their licensures and been brought up on their methodology.

I think the worst thing is how encouraged we were to not be transparent with families or districts. How to frame things in certain ways. How to not reveal the whole truth or have excuses ready to why a child had a rough day or why they were hurt.

Also, there is so much turnover. People leave constantly.
Pros
Salary is okay, flexibility with time off, decent hours, students are great
Cons
No transparency, bullying/manipulation, staff turnover, little training, minimal guidelines and expectations, parking is horrible, financial info is not available, the founders are all management and ALSO HR, confusing management structure, etc.

Where Do I Start?
T Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 24, 2019
This is a school run by people who have no degrees or experience in education. It should be considered a full day clinic or day care not a school. The curriculum is made up and support staff and "expert clinicians" decide what is best for students, not best practices or any sort of educational frameworks or methodologies.

It is a toxic work environment where bullying and manipulation occur regularly not by students but by higher ups. They make you tell you your feelings in what they call "processing" but what the union rep we were talking to called "interrogation". This is mandatory process. If you don't talk, they tell you how you are feeling.

The staff turnover is really high. People aren't happy working there. You don't get any help. The nice people are too overwhelmed with their work load to help and everyone else doesn't really care.
Pros
Flexible with schedule and taking time off
Cons
No work/home boundaries, high turnover, they try to manipulate and bully you into things, favoritism, unclear expectations, no parking, no transparency in any form, no training, they encourage you to not be transparent and honest with parents

Eye Opening
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILFebruary 20, 2019
I love the staff and the support you get from admin! Your fellow TA's are essentially family, and the kiddos never fail to brighten up your day!A typical day is basically learning with the kids, helping reach their goals, and when they do, you can see how proud they are!

There are days where you can become emotionally and physically drained, as this isn't an easy job right off the bat. But that relies entirely on your mindset and how you approach the job in the first place.
Pros
Great friendships, open work environment, experience, occasional trips, and employee appreciation
Cons
emotionally and physically taxing
A Life-Changing, Amazing Experience
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 12, 2018
This is a wonderful career path! It is rewarding and satisfying. Working with this special education group of precious children is a life changing experience. You will think you are helping them...and then realize the children have helped you too! This position requires a lot of kindness, alertness, and patience. I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
Good hours, holidays off, supportive team members, upbeat environment, always new experiences, lots of learning
Unresponsive
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 9, 2018
Unhappy with working at this school. I will probably not return . I find the management very unresponsive. The kids , of course, are great. They are not the issue, here.
work
Art Therapist and Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILJuly 8, 2018
poor management and low wages. Under paid, and over worked. Kids were great, wonderful experience if your interested in working with kids on the Autism Spectrum
Instructional Assistant at Academy (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJanuary 20, 2018
If you can handle the student that is given to you, which they take a lot of time to pair the right child with the right TA. You have a lot of support there. Everyone is there to help the students, teachers, and each other. The management was amazing, the teachers are great, and the other staff are very nice people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Soaring Eagle Academy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9