Société Générale Employee Reviews

Found 254 reviews matching the search See all 2,196 reviews
Rather not
Senior Product Control Specialist, Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2019
Rather not write a review since my situation is sensitive. Glassdoor can provide a pretty good picture of Societe Generale. The company is going through a massive change in the upcoming years.
Great espresso, professional environment
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2019
Really enjoyed my contract at Societe Generale. Lots of fun events, professional environment, great espresso. The main downsides were outdated technology for example all the little tasks we performed had to be on an excel tracker. Most other firms I've been at had workflow tools.
culture d'entreprise , culture familiale
Ingénieur Réseaux et Telecom (Current Employee) –  algerJuly 9, 2019
je ne jamais vue un cadre de travail aussi agréable comme dans la Socgen, un sentiment de convivialité et d'espris d'équipe
Great Place for a first internship
Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY; Jersey City, NJJune 19, 2019
I was an intern for ITEC, in a class of about 90 interns. However, about 8 of us were with ITEC. The first week was training, which consisted of an overview of what the bank does and certain aspects of banking. I learned a lot of banking that I didn't in school but, I felt that there should have been a specific training for ITEC interns as our work may or may not involve that.

I found out at the end of the last week I would be working in Jersey City but, I did spend some days in NYC based on the events they prepared for us. The pay was great, however, a majority of the time there I didn't have much to do. My team was very busy with their own tasks and I didn't get that many projects. Every single employee I met, no matter the level, was very kind, welcoming, helpful, and willing to answer any of my questions. My boss was also amazing.

The program had free lunches every Friday where someone in the company would talk about their experience in the company and provide background for their department. We also had a bowling night and a soulcycle class. It was a great place to work, especially since it was my first.

I did feel that there was some confusion when it came to certain events. In the beginning, I didn't know where I would be working or my manager until later on in the week. However, HR did have to take care of all 90 interns.

I can't speak for the rest of the interns but, for ITEC, full time offers were given to half of the interns. I was not one of them and I was upset but, it was truly a wonderful experience. I truly enjoyed working there!
Pros
great pay, great company culture, wonderful people
Cons
didn't have much to do, confusion with HR
Management and culture were challenging
Exec Asst., Deputy Head of Sales Trading Floor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2019
After having been with GE Capital for over 17 years, I found it difficult to enter a French Investment Bank culture and be a minority of the language and culture. I found the experience on the Trading Floor to toughen me a bit and teach me more about the markets.
Stressfull Stressful
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  TunisJune 7, 2019
a commercial bank with a mixture of French Tunisian culture.
The job is stressful. We must do a lot of politics to progress
the worst place to work is in the agencies. the best place to work is in the headquarters or in the regional directorates (they turn their thumbs and make the climate toxic)
Pros
nothing
Cons
stress
Relaxed enjoyable work environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 5, 2019
Relaxed enjoyable work environment with emphasis on collaboration without confrontation. Senior managers were very hands-on and well thought of. Work life balance is a priority.
Room for advancement limited
Vice President - Sr. Markets (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2019
Paris is very concentrated on lowering cost. They have been laying off since April 2019 on weekly basis.

Room for advancement is very limited if you do not connect with right folks. French is majority in NY and Chicago
Pros
hours
Cons
Lay offs no job security
Good work life balance, not the best place for career advancement
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2019
SG has great work life balance and plenty of time off and other nice benefits. It's a professional environment but not quite as advanced or modern as other top banks.
SG review
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2019
Do Not recommend for work for this company. If you are not French, you will not be successful. Very old mentality, management doesn't allow you to work from home. One person is doing 3 people's job.
Great place tp work
Senior Developer/(Consultant) (Former Employee) –  NYCMay 14, 2019
I was a consultant

Great work life balance

Interesting work.

Good technology - grea relationship with users, developers, qa team, ba's, vendors and prod support team.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
lower pay
All direction and decisions come from Paris
PMO Financial Transformation (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2019
Soc Gen is a wonderful place to work if you like to remain in a non growth environment. An example would be working on aged workstations and software while the rest of world is decades ahead. If that is the environment that you enjoy then Soc Gen is for you.

Managers are used to receiving all direction from Paris and lack the ability to chart their own direction.

They do have wonderful benefits and the office work environment is excellent.
Pros
Benefits, Work/Life
Cons
Backward
Great place to learn and get experience
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2019
If you can make it at Societe Generale, you can make it anywhere. The work can be very tedious at times and the work/life balance is not the best. However you can learn a lot to advance your career here.
Productive and fun work environment w/great mentors willing to teach
Summer Intern (Credit/Risk Department) (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 15, 2019
Although my time at SGEF was brief, it was a very enjoyable experience given that this was my first time working in an actual work environment/workplace. The employees were very helpful and patient, they were willing to teach me how to do/work certain machines and walk me through the process of KYC checks. Friendly environment, it was a pleasure working for the company.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, friendly workers willing to teach
Cons
Lack of office space for additional employees in JC location, IDs must be retrieved at the NY location.
Nice offices
Executive Assistant, Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2019
The office was nice and the employees were pleasant to work with. A typical day involved several reports to be submitted to upper management. I learned how to coordinate International travel as it was my first position at a Global company.
Firm with Strong European Culture
Contract Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2019
With a strong and supportive manager, I worked with a team that understood what it's strengths and weaknesses were. Going the extra mile was acknowledged.
Productive workplace with strong support system
LEGAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
Note that I worked at SG over 20 years ago.

Typical day at work revolved around doing casework / document preparation for attorneys.

When I was being assigned to Legal Department, SG paid for me to obtain a Paralegal Diploma at NYU. After joining SG, I had been promoted several times.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the people and team members.
Pros
Promotability; corporate benefits
Cons
None to think of.
Good firm to work with
Model Validation, Liquidity Risk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2019
Good work life balance focused on delivering high quality products. Workplace culture is congenial. Exposure to senior management and several community engagement opportunities.
Interesting Company
KYC (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2019
SOC GEN has a HS type of setting, the most popular student gets away with everything even if they are ultimately wrong. They play favoritism, gossip A LOT about one another and do not hesitate to throw one another under the bus if they don't like you. Certain departments have a lot of messy in it, the focus should collectively be ensuring all standards, policies and procedures are met. Yet they spend more time trying to damage others careers. SOC GEN also has a VERY high turn over rate. Some of the most talented people are let go simply because its about who you know not what you know.

The crazy thing is, there is so much work to be done, and its never boring work. If people could put their personal feelings for one another to the side it would be a fabulous company
Pros
plenty of work to do ALWAYS
Cons
too much negative souls
Really nice place and coworker
Developer Full Stack (Former Employee) –  ParisFebruary 6, 2019
First of all I have to say that I was in a particular place of Société Générale which it's insurrance part, which is more focused on improving existing tool and answering the compagny needs.
There I met awesome coworker and we became all friends since then, keep seeing each other even if our paths changed.
About the job what I had to do was expected, mainly maintenance and new features on existing tools, it was fine, maybe not the best choice for a long term for me but for a short term it was ok.
About the salary and benefits, my experience there was nice.
Pros
holidays
Cons
projects

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Société Générale. Our community is ready to answer.